~ DiabolicalMask's PhotoMode Gallery ~ (Randoms)

• Thread starter 35mm
  • 566 comments
I really like the first HKS, because when you first look at it, it looks like it is just driving, but then you see it's drifting, brilliant.
The second is great, too, so smooth. And the HKS thumb, it's interesting, not bad, but not stupendous.
I really like the second RX, too. The car is so perfectly in focus and the background is all blurry.
The RX thumb is pretty good, too, if a bit over-sharpened.
Damn, the second Blitz is amazing. The taillights and side of the car look great.
I also really like the last big one. The blurrage on that one is great.
I like the thumb, too. Very contrasty.

DiabolicalMask
^ I kind of liked it to be honest... :embarrassed:
But thanks. ;)

wrxrex: Thank you. The 206 shots are my favourites as well. 👍

440 CHARGER, here we go. A little DIY. :D

First, here's the original shot:

First, I do the Levels. I normally look at the spot that is more bright and therefore more likely to lose detail ("blow") when moving the right slider.
In this case my attention was at the rider's shoulder and helmet, and also the spot on the bike above the headlights.
With that in mind, I decided to leave it as showned in the picture:

After that, a bit of Contrast. +10 looked OK to me. I normally use values between 5 and 15:

Now, let's go to the Shadow/Highlight menu, and I normally start with the shadows to brighten the dark areas and balance the whole thing a bit (that's how I prefer them).
If there are reflections on the car/bike, this will also help to make them stand out. Especially when the car is in a shadow or at night shots.
+20 looked good and I normally don't use more than this but, as you'll see next, I should have used a bit more:

In the same menu is the Midtone Contrast. As I said, it's good for the backgrounds (but not only), although in this case it didn't make that much difference. I normally use more (+10 in this case):

(Note that I don't mess with any of the other parameters in this menu)

These ones don't need any explanation. Saturation (+15):

Unsharp Mask. I always use 0,4 radius and then normally around +100:

Now, after this the photo is pretty much ready and I save it like that.
Then, I resize it. 450*600 (600*450) as always.
After resizing, I usually give them a final touch in the Levels.
In this case I thought that overall the shot could be lighter, so I moved the middle slider a bit to the left to brighten it. Since the photo is much smaller now and there's less detail, I could have messed with the right one again as well to give it a final adjust, but not in this case.

After resizing a photo, it always seems to lose a bit of its sharpness, so I discovered that adding a bit more of USM after the resize is a good idea. +30 normally does the trick:

As I said above, when adjusting Shadows, I should've added a bit more. I noticed this right at the end and, because this is the way I like them, I added +5 (it also matched more the shot I previously posted a few days ago):

And voilà. The final result:
final2qo.jpg

Phew. So there you go!
I really hope that helped and that you make good use of it... ;)

The result is not far from the other one, I guess. This one looks even better, maybe.

I don't have specific techniques for specific situations. This is pretty much what I do to ALL my shots, although the values and amounts obviously vary, depending on how it looks at the moment.

👍

When resizing the image instead of doing an unsharp mark afterwards just use the Bicubic Sharp selection when resizing.. Does the exact same job but slightly better!!

This is going to be big...

ALPHA
Brilliant! Your TT photos are so much more “alive” than mine. To me TT pictures have an edge over GT4, the rider just seems so much easier to relate to, than a shadowy silhouette driver…
I agree with you on the second part, but I definitely don't agree with the first part... ;)

ALPHA
Nice to see you’re using borders now, though I’m running out of things to say. How’s a generic, “nice update man :)👍” comment?
:lol:
Anyway, I'm not using borders. I only do that with pictures that I'm thinking about entering a PMC. :)

ALPHA
As much as you’re going to hate me, I might as well say it. To save you rubber stamping out the watermark, (which can be quite difficult at the best of times) just take another photo but move its centre down vertically so there’s some overlap beyond the top of the copyright text. Load up the original image, align the second on top, feather a selection around where the original’s watermark is, invert the selection and delete/mask the excess away. You do lose the default vignetting but it isn’t that noticeable and is just as easy to fix. Instead of feathering you could just apply a basic gradient mask, which is slightly quicker.

The obvious downside is the extra “overlap” image that you have to create and time spent, though I only do it when I know it’ll be too hard to rubber stamp the watermark away. Thanks for the comments at my end! :cheers:
Do I need to say more...? ;)
But thanks so much for the tip. Maybe someday I'll give it a go. 👍

sejtur
Nice pants you wore at Motegi. :lol: :crazy:
Sexy, huh? ;)
I think those come with a leopard thong as well... :lol:

.*StReeTz*.
I think the last Blitz Skyline is awesome!
PLmatt91
Oh dang! I love the Motegi shots the most..
I think they are quite good the skyline pics stand out the most
sejtur
The 1st skyline pic is worth a drool. :P
TVR&Ferrari_Fan
I love the Skyline shots the most
FaLLeNAn9eL
the blitz skyline looks so real! :drool::drool::drool:
Thanks, guys.
I knew most of you would like those Blitz shots.
They were all taken with EV -1.0, if you wanna know. It really helped to make those blue lights stand out.

Vonie
I really like the first HKS, because when you first look at it, it looks like it is just driving, but then you see it's drifting, brilliant.
Exactly what I thought when I took it! ;)👍

Vonie
The RX thumb is pretty good, too, if a bit over-sharpened.
Definitely something's wrong with my PC monitor... That shot still looks too soft here. :dunce:

eastley
When resizing the image instead of doing an unsharp mark afterwards just use the Bicubic Sharp selection when resizing.. Does the exact same job but slightly better!!
Thanks for that, eastley. I'll definitely try it. 👍

Everyone else (the list is just too big), thanks so much for your comments.

DiabolicalMask
This is going to be big...

I agree with you on the second part, but I definitely don't agree with the first part... ;)

:lol:
Anyway, I'm not using borders. I only do that with pictures that I'm thinking about entering a PMC. :)

Do I need to say more...? ;)
But thanks so much for the tip. Maybe someday I'll give it a go. 👍

Sexy, huh? ;)
I think those come with a leopard thong as well... :lol:

Thanks, guys.
I knew most of you would like those Blitz shots.
They were all taken with EV -1.0, if you wanna know. It really helped to make those blue lights stand out.

Exactly what I thought when I took it! ;)👍

Definitely something's wrong with my PC monitor... That shot still looks too soft here. :dunce:

Thanks for that, eastley. I'll definitely try it. 👍

Everyone else (the list is just too big), thanks so much for your comments.
I,ve seen a bigger amount of replying to so many questions lol. Anyway looking forward to your next update.

Random old shots #5

picture12739bv.jpg

picture1371copy2am.jpg

picture13778wm.jpg

picture15562bh.jpg

picture15842zi.jpg

picture17702bo.jpg

I've been busy as hell, so I'll just leave you a few more old shots... Enjoy. 👍

eastley, thanks again. Some nice, simple tutorials in that website. 👍
MetalicMan and TVR&Ferrari_Fan, thanks as well. :)

good idea sticking some randoms in here. its fun to look at a large update thats not all the same car. those pics are great too! nice update. gt4 cars are still fun to look at amongst all the bikes ive seen lately :)

Vonie
The first three are great! Very DM.
And I really like that Stagea.
Thanks, Vonie.
If I don't get anything else, I might use that Stagea pic for this week's PMC.

lmracer
good idea sticking some randoms in here. its fun to look at a large update thats not all the same car.
Yeah, I like looking at randoms as well. It's refreshing.
Thanks!

Thanks as well, PLmatt91. 👍

Audi Quattro

imagem010copyr5bc.jpg

imagem018copyr6sg.jpg

imagem007copyr6qm.jpg

imagem020copyr3vj.jpg

imagem001copyr8fu.jpg

~

Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

picture15904bk.jpg

picture15924bo.jpg

picture15957le.jpg

picture16184rj.jpg

picture15896gn.jpg

~

Audi Pikes Peak Quattro

imagem045copyr7es.jpg

imagem047copyr2pi.jpg

imagem043copyr2yt.jpg

imagem046copyr5ga.jpg

Huge update this time...
The A3 at Seattle and Seoul are old pictures that I decided to gather to make the update more interesting.
And yes, I know the Pikes Peak concept is now a reality in the form of the Q7. ;)

Anyway, enjoy. 👍

Wow, I could go on forever about these, but I won't for your reply's sake.
The first two are amazing, they have that cutting-corners, sliding around rally feel. My two favorite along with the last thumb.
The next three, great shots, just not as great.
The first two thumbs are great, too.
I don't like the A3's quite as much, though the two slidey big ones are great. The whole of the A3's, though, look a bit rough and jaggy.
But the Pike's are great, the first is great and the second is stupendous and the third is awesome and the last is wonderful.

Back