DiRT 3 (Debut Trailer Page 2; First Details Inside)

GTP_Obtuse
Fantastic news...http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=257998

Really enjoyed DiRT 2, a superb arcade racer with great visuals. I'm sure Codies will impress again. OXM saying they were 'blown away' is a good sign but of course we can't make judgement until we've seen the first trailer which is debuting very soon.

I'll be picking up OPM and OXM when they release next week, both of them have previews of the game. Hopefully we'll get some more tracks which was the biggest issue in 2.

OXM Preview, some stand-out information:
DiRT 3 aims to provide the most comprehensive collection of rally cars, both classic and contemporary, of any game in the series. Including Monte Carlo Rally winning Mini Cooper, Opel Mantas, Lancia Deltas, Toyota Celicas, all the way up to the latest World Rally and S2000 spec vehicles.
An effort to bring back some of the iconic stages from world rallying: Finland, Kenya, and Monte Carlo will all make an appearance. The variety of terrain will be enormous compared to the previous games.
Weather includes snow, rain and fog: in snow the handling will differ between normal and studded tyres, and it is deformable so if you dip a wheel into it, it'll cause drag. Weather technology being shared with F1 2010.
Different times of the day introduced. Depending on the event, you'll play in different times of the day to avoid repetition in Career mode. Likewise with weather.
Rally is the substantial centre of the experience this time around, with three times as many point-to-point stages as the previous game.
Still many other types of racing: Crossover racing (where two drivers line-up side by side on the same route) will appear, using the X-Games routes in the Los Angeles Coliseum and Aspen. Rally Cross returns but with a greater variety of tracks. Debuting in DiRT 3 is Gymkhana: takes inspiration from Ken Block's YouTube videos. Lob your car around arenas including Monaco, Aspen and Los Angeles. You will be scored for pulling off manoeuvres, getting close to obstacles, and avoiding repetition in your routine.
Free roaming area called Compound: based on the Battersea Power Station, but two to three times bigger than the last game's version. You can practice in here and even invite up to seven friends to join you. Not only that, you can also activate mini-games such as Cat and Mouse. Ken Block can give you challenges here as well.
YouTube direct uploading is present, so you can view a replay and publish it straight from there.

EDGE Preview, some stand-out information:
SPLIT SCREEN!
The last in the DiRT trilogy.
No more Americanisation- you'll hear a mixture of both American and European voices, including Ken Block who is returning from DiRT 2.
DiRT 3 is sharing some of the 'Live the Life' concepts of F1 2010.
100 routes compared to DiRT 2's 41. Including Norway, Africa and some of the world's most exotic and extreme locations.
Super buggies and RAID trucks return. Open class and Group B cars.
Separated by almost 400 parameters. More detailed weight-shifting than before. Active dampers and fast-rebound suspension.
Tyre choice is critical.
Combo system for Gymkhana and freestyle.
Greater force-feedback and more emphasis on understeer and oversteer.
Weather is dynamic, so it can change throughout an event.

More details later today, including from the EDGE preview as well. OPM preview details tomorrow.

From Codemasters DiRT 3 page:

Coming 2011, DiRT 3 will boast more cars, more locations, more routes and more events than any other game in the series, including over 50 rally cars representing the very best from five decades of the sport. With more than double the track content of 2009’s hit, DiRT 3 will see players start at the top as a professional driver, with a top-flight career in competitive off-road racing complimented by the opportunity to express themselves in Gymkhana-style showpiece driving events.

As players race to elevate their global standing, DiRT 3 delivers mud, sweat and gears world over: from the intense weather-beaten rally stages of Europe, Africa and the US, to executing performance driving showcases and career challenges where car control is pushed to spectacular limits. DiRT 3 is now in development at Codemasters Studios for a 2011 release for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and PC Games For Windows® LIVE.

Last edited:
I will buy this. :D
Dirt 2 was, and still is, brilliant.
I do hope they get back to their true point-to-point rallying roots though.

I hope they ditch everything about Dirt 2 and give us a proper rally game again. I do not want another offroad arcade racer stuffed full of stupid American voiceovers and events. Dirt 1 was far superior to it.

Last edited:
I hope they ditch everything about Dirt 2 and give us a proper rally game again. I do not want another offroad arcade racer, as that's all Dirt 2 was. Dirt 1 was far superior to it.

To be honest we''l never have a sim rally game from Codies in the Dirt series...that will have to wait for WRC 2010 and GT5. but I'm glad snow racing is making a return, I really do hope there's a weather system as well.

Sure point-to-point rallying should return but now the game has been Americanised I'm sure that will never happen again. I just want more tracks and weather to be honest, for my sim fix I'm waiting for the official game and GT5.

Nicies. :P I wonder if we'll get GRiD 2 details as well. But really, I'm more interested in Dirt 3. I would love to see the New Camaro and New Challenger in Dirt 3. I think they could make for fun dirt cars.

Sure point-to-point rallying should return but now the game has been Americanised I'm sure that will never happen again. I just want more tracks and weather to be honest, for my sim fix I'm waiting for the official game and GT5.

That's a short sighted opinion.... its still developed by Codemasters and things can change from Dirt 2. Dirt 2 I guess was trying to be different than Dirt 1. Give people a reason to go back to first rather than the rinse and repeat of say CMR1/2/3/4/5. I assume Dirt 3 will be a mix of both.

I think they are planning something for Grid. Perhaps a real competitor to forza and GT? Maybe even a return of Pro Race Driver.

Or a combination of Dirt and Grid? Nah, that won't happen, or .... maybe ....

Back in March, Codemasters mentioned this and said that it might be time to "fly the flag".

Two new shots from the trailer (to be shown sometime this week) found on IGN:

dirt-3-20100730085155176_640w.jpg

dirt-3-20100730085158238_640w.jpg

There's a classic Ford RS200! :drool: It looks good, I enjoyed DIRT2 despite it's heavy americanisation (no offence to americans). I'm looking forward to this and I'll probably buy it if they tone down the 'extreme' attitude and give us some proper rally stages. Judging from the second screenshot above, It also looks like they've gotten rid of the heavy bloom and brown hue. It looks like Codemasters are getting back on track. (excuse the pun) 👍

The screenshots look very promising, especially of course the snow. :D That will change everything.

@LaBounti Obviously that opinion is very short sighted, but judging Codies two previous DiRT games, I can't see them going back to cater for the sim crowd. Still, if they do, it won't hurt. :P I think the major selling point has been the pick up and play gameplay, but despite this the game (DiRT 2) performs very well in terms of force feedback with a wheel.

Sure point-to-point rallying should return but now the game has been Americanised I'm sure that will never happen again.

Thats what I meant, Dirt had Point to point races. Tell me you did not enjoy Pikes Peak :). The shots look pretty nice, but how will it play?

The RS200 has Tarmac Wheels the Focus has dirt tires? Custom parts?

This looks good. I'm guessing that the pic with the RS200 and Fiesta is rallycross. Also, good to see there will be snow racing.

They just showed the trailer on TV! It said at the end "DiRT 3: 2011."

It had several cars from Dirt 2 and the bit in Ken Block's video when the semi trailer blows up.

Edit: Tree'd

Superb trailer, Gymkhana will be brilliant! Liking the look of the weather effects as well, and snow. But 2011? At least GT5 will be out by then alongside F1 2010, TDU2 and WRC 2010 so the wait won't be too long.

Looks fantastic, but that's Codies for you. Hopefully there will a be a bit more variety in the actual game this time around: while I liked the way there were multiple types of racing in DiRT 2, there was only one or two courses for each event in each country. If you're going to have a rally, you should at least have several stages. Like ten. Codemasters used to be able to fit ten stages for each rally as early COLIN McRAE RALLY 2.0, and not a few of them were longer than some of the stuff in DiRT 2 (that Swedish stage, Skara, still stands out in my mind as absolute insanity).

Still, at the very least, I hope for more creativity. Like the Spillway stage; that was awesome. It felt less like I was rally and more like I was in a high-speed car chase for a film.

The Baja Spillway is based off the actual first stage of the Baja. And BTW, by "Spillway", they mean "sewer." Just be glad that you can't smell it. But it is cool to see the Baja course in there. :P They need to bring back Semis and Pikes Peak, though.

As always, top notch graphics! Codemasters is truly a code master when it comes to graphics. Now they have to make sim based race games with aids options. This will make the game accessible for arcade fans as well.

Latest Posts

Back