DiRT 3 (Debut Trailer Page 2; First Details Inside)

You PSN guys have a major disadvantage when it comes to the party games - especially Outbreak. Because there has been no online until just now, PSN gamers have been forced to play offline. Which means you've had more chance to learn the ins and outs of the DC Compound. Which in turn means it's harder to hide. Although I do know all the best places. What you're looking for it a place that has just one way in and one way out, and preferably one which you'll be able to see anyone coming for you well in advance - like the trailer in the corner of the power station.

Is that the one with some Infected car?
It's more fun to just charge around. I've played 3 of those games and nobody has just been sitting in one spot yet.
:D

However it's not the amount of content advertised at X price they never specify obviously that you are only allowed what they say is allowed, what you get is a disc which you own and I can see the arguments to support that someone owns all of the contents on said disc.

For example, it clearly says on the box 'plus online multiplayer' but that's not true if you buy used and when you buy that Codemasters aren't going to send you an email pre-purchase saying hey you know you only get certain content right? There's no indication of the VIP code on the packaging and only if you deal with the seller direct in store will you find out. I can see people ebaying this later on and consumers being very unhappy when they realise they're missing some of what is advertised to them. In the small print however once you've bought the product you get some content have charges applied which you won't be able to see on a picture on ebay.

It's not so much the act, more the application of these methods which often causes upset. Were they to clearly specify you won't neccessarily get everything available, I think that would be a much better way of doing things but then we all know some people wouldn't buy on that basis.

Put another way, it's not very fair that a consumer should pay for work that has already been done before the game was out anyway, the cost of development has not changed since the products release and therein why should the cost to consumer increase also if they wish to have all available content. I mean you don't see other areas doing this, I've never purchased the bonus track on an album or I've never been asked for a VIP code when I want to open the Big Mac after I've purchased a meal at McDonalds. It's this different approach specific to this sector which causes both confusion and anger, if developers want to apply these methods they are at will to do so but should just put some sort of note on the package which isn't hidden in the small print which is specific as to what you can or can't have when you purchase a product at it's most basic level.

You'll also notice in the small print that selling the game is actually prohibited, this is why more devs are starting to introduce charges for online access for the used market, and rightly so. The legal system doesn't give a hoot about software and it (along with piracy) costs the country (global industry, tens of) billions each year. Games industry in the UK is contracting, I'm all for it. 👍

Content on disc? I don't see that as a problem, you're not buying everything on the disc, but again, that's legal shtuff.

Some sort of industry standard would be useful, we have it with PEGI for most of Europe with ratings, but not all devs do DLC and even less do online charges for the used market. It may come in a few years when it becomes more common place.

You're right though with the reasons why it wouldn't be explained on the box, no point in taking up space that if you're buying 2nd hand then you have to pay for on-line. Some sort of "this product has DLC" sticker would be useful, don't see it happening industry wide though.

-------

Good to see we can do on-line soon. Should be awesome. 👍

Last edited:
After the session I had tonight with my brother and one of his mates, I have to say that online is EPIC! (especially the party games). Our team dominated in cat and mouse, getting the Mini a lap ahead in one race and nearly untouched in the second race. Too bad everyone on the other team left when Cat and Mouse was the next mode coming up...

You'll also notice in the small print that selling the game is actually prohibited,

I don't care about the small print. If there isn't any law in my country which prevents me from reselling it then that statement has no value.
Or how would you like it if a car manufacturer puts the same thing in small print when you buy a car?
I know software developers think in licenses instead of products. But you buy it as a product in a store, so you should have the right to treat it like any other product you buy.
There isn't any added cost with people reselling their game, since there will still be only 1 gamer online. It's purely to prevent gamestores from making money off second hand games, and the consumer is caught in the crossfire.

All in all it's just a very grey area, I don't mind paying for online and such if I buy used, it's fair enough that the company themselves gain a little from my second hand purchase seeing as I'm going to be using their servers and whatnot even though there will be no marginal increase from an overall perspective it's fair logic. I can just see why alot of people will be miffed about it, as I say it's more the application which bothers me.

Also, online will be immense, I'll get sorting arrangements with Aldo for a session with the D2 crowd.

Edit- ITS UP!!!!!!!! I know what im doing the rest of the night!!!

Edit 2.0- Well Circuit racing it same s*** new game. I highly recommend getting in jam sessions, you get Fans that way too.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back