DiRT 3 (Debut Trailer Page 2; First Details Inside)

While keeping Full-Price Purchases a secret from my parents, when they left to grab a few groceries I quickly biked out to the blockbusters that's a minute away and came home with this game. Can't wait to pop this in in a few minutes!

AOS-
While keeping Full-Price Purchases a secret from my parents, when they left to grab a few groceries I quickly biked out to the blockbusters that's a minute away and came home with this game. Can't wait to pop this in in a few minutes!

Well... How are you liking it?

I rate it a 9.4/10.

Only thing that would increase is my score is customization. I mean really, its 2011, every racing game, every game really, should have customization options.

I rate it a 9.4/10.

Only thing that would increase is my score is customization. I mean really, its 2011, every racing game, every game really, should have customization options.

What kind of customizing do you mean? That's too broad lol

grafpt
What kind of customizing do you mean? That's too broad lol

Lol. Well, any type of customization really.

But two games stick out in my mind as top notch in this department:

Tracks: Mod-Nation Racers; the customization: TRUE TRACK CREATION (landscape type, surface specific elevation, surface type, placement of a variety of objects... I know I am forgetting some its been years lol) and the ability to share your tracks in this game are superior to any other that I have played. Yes I know what you are thinking: "Mod-Nation Racers..... Really?" And granted, I will give you that, I do not even own this game, rather had a fun couple of hours with it. But apply those same concepts to sim-type racing games and... well there is your winner. Just play it once; it is a far war-cry from the track RANDOMIZER that is included in some games..... ahem Gran Tur.... Ahem.

Cars: Forza 3; unless you have played it you have no idea what kind of customization options are available in this game and what they are really capable of. Top notch, high detail community created liveries, racing replicas, decals, and vinyl kits ranging from Monster Energy to Repsol Replicas to high detail anime drifting vinyl kits. Almost anything you can think of you can download it off of the storefront (an in game community store). Cant find it? You can create it with the in game vinyl editor, then upload it to the storefront and sell it for in game credits to purchase vehicles from the dealership or community auction house, download additional liveries, and purchase vehicle tunes. All available within the store front. You can also dyno your vehicle after each upgrade. Want to paint your car a specific color with a preview of the car after paint? Well, no paint chips needed here, there is a color wheel and full preview menu. Want to tint your windows? Nice. How about a Gemballa body kit for that Porsche Panamera? That looks amazing. I could go on... I can't wait for Forza 4.

Dirt 3 is more than enough to hold me over.

Can you tell which sim left me unsatisfied?

But ya that type of customization, sorry for the novel.

SmittMan
Took a couple of screenshots today, I'll try to have them up in this thread by sunday.

I think there is a DiRT 3 photo thread, try posting in there. I would contribute as well but I am unfortunately on PS3. But, I might attempt with my phone like others have resorted to lol.

Another reason why I did not give this game a 10. You-tube integration: that's cool. But come on... I can't save or share full replays?

I think there is a DiRT 3 photo thread, try posting in there. I would contribute as well but I am unfortunately on PS3. But, I might attempt with my phone like others have resorted to lol.

You can take screenshots on the PS3, only during replays though.

Just pause the replay, go to the Photo menu on the XMB and select "Save Screenshot".

BWX
Yeah it sux that you can't even save a replay. That really sucks.

That it does. I have a capture card, but my PC is in a different room lol I was hoping to just save replay and capture it later :(

I put a camera on a tripod and recorded a 720p vid of one of my runs, once from cockpit view, once from TV camera view. The thing is, you have to do it right then or your replay is gone forever- that's a huge PITA, or very impractical sometimes. Then you need to edit it, then upload it. That should be fixed in a patch (saving replays), I'm not holding my breath though.

BWX
I put a camera on a tripod and recorded a 720p vid of one of my runs, once from cockpit view, once from TV camera view. The thing is, you have to do it right then or your replay is gone forever- that's a huge PITA, or very impractical sometimes. Then you need to edit it, then upload it. That should be fixed in a patch (saving replays), I'm not holding my breath though.

Ya, I really doubt that they add on more replay features.

Also, for those who find it annoying that your wheel jumps to steering lock after events at the completed challenges menu: turn off vibration in the controller settings menu. You can leave all force feedback settings at what you originally had them.

I got to play Invasion, Outbreak and Transporter today.

I like Invasion. A lot. It doesn't require too much finesse; even if you and another player go for the same robot and collide, it doesn't hurt you too much (though it is annoying when someone pushes you into the cut-out of a building).

I also really enjoy Transporter. It's very frantic, especially with the way everyone drives around without any direction for a few moments before the flag re-spawns and then they all descend on the carrier. It can be a little annoying when everyone converges on the same point, but the people I was playing with today probably hadn't done much gymkhana because they were all fighting for the flag on the pier when it was down on the beach; it was an easy point.

I don't like Outbreak, though. Everyone runs and hides. We played on the power station section, and all the drivers went to the upper levels and parked it. Not much happens, so it's really just a game of hide and seek, but with two minutes on the clock, it's too short.

I haven't played Cat and Mouse yet, though.

The DLC packs have (supposedly) been found on the PC version of the game. I won't post the link as it may break the AUP due to the fact it could be considered hacking.

Power And Glory Car Pack
Chevrolet Camaro SSX Concept (Trailblazer)
Ford Focus ST (RallyCross)
Lancia Delta S4 (Group B)
BMW M3 Rally (80's)
Scion tC (Gymkhana)

Mud And Guts Car Pack
Peugeot 205 T16 Evo 2 (Group B)
Citroen C4 (RallyCross)
Ford Mustang GT (Trailblazer)
Saturn Sky (Gymkhana)
Lancia Stratos (70's)

Judging from this list, I'm a bit disappointed by the packs, as quite a few of the cars were shown in pre-release screenshots/trailers. It also seems disappointing that cars of the same class are split across the two packs. I fear that Codemasters is turning into an EA clone with online passes and content on the disc passed off as DLC.

They put a Stratos in 1 pack, (which everyone will want) and a Lancia, plus an M3 in another pack.

What's more, I know this is practically on the disc, and I'll buy it... :mad:
I wonder what M3 it is though? An E30?

Yeah it's an E30.
dirt3game20110525155755.jpg

The DLC packs have (supposedly) been found on the PC version of the game. I won't post the link as it may break the AUP due to the fact it could be considered hacking.

Power And Glory Car Pack
Chevrolet Camaro SSX Concept (Trailblazer)
Ford Focus ST (RallyCross)
Lancia Delta S4 (Group B)
BMW M3 Rally (80's)
Scion tC (Gymkhana)

Mud And Guts Car Pack
Peugeot 205 T16 Evo 2 (Group B)
Citroen C4 (RallyCross)
Ford Mustang GT (Trailblazer)
Saturn Sky (Gymkhana)
Lancia Stratos (70's)

Judging from this list, I'm a bit disappointed by the packs, as quite a few of the cars were shown in pre-release screenshots/trailers. It also seems disappointing that cars of the same class are split across the two packs. I fear that Codemasters is turning into an EA clone with online passes and content on the disc passed off as DLC.

Dammit.
I am in two minds about which one to get at first. Startos and 205 are very appealing. But so is the Delta S4 and the M3.
Any news on possible price? I would grudge paying more than £5 for each.

I rate it a 9.4/10.

Love it. I'd give it a score somewhere around that range too... though I must disagree with customization... The liveries are basically the customization part, it's just pre-made.

TheStig13
Power And Glory Car Pack
BMW M3 Rally (80's)

Mud And Guts Car Pack
Lancia Stratos (70's)

I fear that Codemasters is turning into an EA clone with online passes and content on the disc passed off as DLC.

An E30 M3!! Hope it is the 4wd ProDrive version. Holy crap. Happy about the Stratos too...but that is an obvious one. Never would have seen the E30 coming!

I really don't see why everyone gets upset over the on disc DLC...this is the business model! Build a game...build DLC at the same time to lower costs and make sure it is integrated in the game...release game...release online pass to counter used game market....release DLC....make profit (not a bad thing, you know)...stay in business...make new game.

It's RWD, the picture details that above and that's the only way an E30 should be imo ;).

The reason people get upset is because, as with many good things for business, you're actually being denied content by not paying as the content is already there on the disc which you bought. Personally I hope they just wait a while before releasing it, then I see it as a bit of a refresher at least and so long as the price is right I'm not to fussy as it's a great game and I already got a good deal.

Dragonistic
It's RWD, the picture details that above and that's the only way an E30 should be imo ;).

The reason people get upset is because, as with many good things for business, you're actually being denied content by not paying as the content is already there on the disc which you bought.

Ahh...I missed the pic. Can't wait to drive this!

The mindset of "disc you bought" is what throws people...the disc is just the mode of delivery...could just be a digital file like on the PC...you are buying the content...the amount of content is advertised at X price and if you find that agreeable then you buy it....if you want more content you pay more for it. It doesn't matter if it is on the disc or not IMO.

However it's not the amount of content advertised at X price they never specify obviously that you are only allowed what they say is allowed, what you get is a disc which you own and I can see the arguments to support that someone owns all of the contents on said disc.

For example, it clearly says on the box 'plus online multiplayer' but that's not true if you buy used and when you buy that Codemasters aren't going to send you an email pre-purchase saying hey you know you only get certain content right? There's no indication of the VIP code on the packaging and only if you deal with the seller direct in store will you find out. I can see people ebaying this later on and consumers being very unhappy when they realise they're missing some of what is advertised to them. In the small print however once you've bought the product you get some content have charges applied which you won't be able to see on a picture on ebay.

It's not so much the act, more the application of these methods which often causes upset. Were they to clearly specify you won't neccessarily get everything available, I think that would be a much better way of doing things but then we all know some people wouldn't buy on that basis.

Put another way, it's not very fair that a consumer should pay for work that has already been done before the game was out anyway, the cost of development has not changed since the products release and therein why should the cost to consumer increase also if they wish to have all available content. I mean you don't see other areas doing this, I've never purchased the bonus track on an album or I've never been asked for a VIP code when I want to open the Big Mac after I've purchased a meal at McDonalds. It's this different approach specific to this sector which causes both confusion and anger, if developers want to apply these methods they are at will to do so but should just put some sort of note on the package which isn't hidden in the small print which is specific as to what you can or can't have when you purchase a product at it's most basic level.

Just got the VIP code to work.
Just keep trying through all the errors and you'll get there.
Time to see what online is like! Wooooohooooo!!!!

Aldo
Just got the VIP code to work.
Just keep trying through all the errors and you'll get there.
Time to see what online is like! Wooooohooooo!!!!

Surely you have to get on PS Store which isn't up??

Nah there are plenty of people on.
I'm playing tennis tonight... 🤬
And then I won't be on till monday night. 🤬

Yeah played Invasion and the Infected one. Both great fun and absolute carnage! :lol:
It'll have to be next week. :(

Back