DIRT 5 Delayed to November 6, With Next-Gen Consoles in Mind

Not that I'm buying this game, but the delay announcement has got me off-guard anyway. I mean it's weird that CM delays a game, let alone one of the dirt series. Something must have happened internally.

I mean it's weird that CM delays a game, let alone one of the dirt series. Something must have happened internally.

Or it could be that releasing a game in the middle of a pandemic means that certain processes are taking longer than expected.

Unfortunate that it's been delayed, but given global circumstances not all too surprising. Really excited for this one, more than anything this 5th main title is looking like it'll be huge fun, hopefully it will harness that enjoyment I got out of DiRT 3 which was one of my favourite games from the PS3 era.

Or it could be that releasing a game in the middle of a pandemic means that certain processes are taking longer than expected.
They gave the release date way after the pandemic. This must be some unexpected issue found in the last minute, as CM don't usually delay anything.

They gave the release date way after the pandemic. This must be some unexpected issue found in the last minute, as CM don't usually delay anything.

To me they want to push the game into fiscal year 2021 for accounting reasons. I believe the British FY ends October 31st.

I believe the British FY ends October 31st.
Nope, April 5th.

The delay is almost certainly down to the fact that the disc distributor, Koch Media, doesn't want to have two enormous projects - and the two associated increases and decreases of production - with the PS4/XB1 launch and then the PS5/XSX launch, separated by five weeks. By moving the current-gen launch up to the same timeframe as the next-gen launch, it can run both at the same time and only deal with one. There's a statement somewhere from Koch about "streamlining" the launches (I can't actually find it; it's not on its site or any PR newswire I use), and that's the reason.

That also pretty much nails down the XSX and PS5 launches for November 6th, 13th, or 20th.

I recommend NO-ONE buy it on current gen til reviews are out. Grid was a disaster and that was just Pro vs base console!

With WRC 9 here, no big loss for me - I'd rather my rally fix be spread out. Is DIRT still a rally game? Haven't been paying attention but what little I've seen (and that ring of fire/truck screen shot above lol) scares me a bit.

Not a bad thing to delay it, I'll pick up WRC 9 next month to fill in the slot.

With WRC 9 here, no big loss for me - I'd rather my rally fix be spread out. Is DIRT still a rally game? Haven't been paying attention but what little I've seen (and that ring of fire/truck screen shot above lol) scares me a bit.

It is more of off road arcade racer now, Dirt 5 don't have the standard rally stages in it.

This further reinforces the Gamescom awards being a farce. Dirt 5 has already won best racing game, and considering the release date setbacks there's no way Gamescom reviewed it in anything but an alpha state. So either Dirt 5 is so mindblowingly good that it deserves racing game of the year in spite of the many omissions that hold it back from public release, or Codemasters bought the award.

And that's to say nothing of this year's Flight Simulator losing the category of best simulator to Project CARS 3 at the same awards show.

This further reinforces the Gamescom awards being a farce. Dirt 5 has already won best racing game, and considering the release date setbacks there's no way Gamescom reviewed it in anything but an alpha state. So either Dirt 5 is so mindblowingly good that it deserves racing game of the year in spite of the many omissions that hold it back from public release, or Codemasters bought the award.

And that's to say nothing of this year's Flight Simulator losing the category of best simulator to Project CARS 3 at the same awards show.

the entire Gamescom award is awful, the nominees are mostly unreleased. Cyberpunk 2077 won for best PC game, best PS4 game, best RPG, best of Gamescom and best of "Most Wanted" consumer award, only the last category seems logical for a unreleased game. Other categories winners has Watch Dogs Legion, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 and Star Wars Squadrons which all still unreleased now except Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2.

As for the racing games nominees it has Dirt 5, pCARS 3 and Radical Relocation. Radical Relocation doesn't even look like a racing game but physic based puzzle game with driving in it:

Back