DIRT 5 Free to Play on PlayStation 4 Over Easter

Discussion in 'DiRT Series' started by GTPNewsWire, Apr 2, 2021.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

Timm Sheehan likes this.
  2. MIE1992

MIE1992

So I can download it for free, and continue to play it for free even after April 5th? I thought it’d be like the free PS+ games, or the free games offered through the “Play at Home” initiative.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  3. Famine

Famine Administrator

No. You can download it for free and play it for free until April 5th. It's a free trial, that lasts until April 5th.

J24681357, girabyt3, ynot and 2 others like this.
  4. MIE1992

MIE1992

Gotcha, thanks.

5. Ryan81

Ryan81

Must be good if they're letting people play it for free until Monday :lol:

6. brockie

brockie

It’s rubbish

7. C-ZETA

C-ZETA

Seems like as good an excuse as any to see if it's worth my money. I've held off until now, on the basis it looked like leaning too much into the sort of 'energy drink culture' that was prevalent throughout, say Dirt 3. Now I can see if the various categories throughout this are actually exciting.

8. PJTierney

PJTierney

A little tip that isn’t mentioned anywhere, some cars in the game (like the Rock Bouncer, Audi AI-Trail and the Formula Off-road) have rear-wheel steering.

Check your controller setting to see what button activates it and then hold that while you steer to get a little extra turn-in on tight corners.

9. MikeV27

MikeV27 Premium

Is it worth the 31.99 cdn for ps5?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  10. DerOllie

DerOllie

Couldn't find a free option on the PS store on my PS4, but online I found it, added it to my library, and 47 GB download further on, I can play ! Happy easter!

11. GTvsForza

GTvsForza Premium

Will progress still be saved after the weekend, or do I need to start from scratch when I buy it?

12. vrossi

vrossi

But we've already played DiRT5...
    [​IMG]

girabyt3 likes this.
  13. girabyt3

girabyt3 Premium

Managed to get my hands on it today! Here's my review so far...

1: It is the full game, not just a demo or a very limited free trial (although it's the base game-no dlcs), so that's awesome on its own from Codies!

2: It's not DiRT 2 or DiRT 3 levels of awesome, but it's great on its own, the biggest (and strongest) feature it has is of course the track creator, it is literally Trackmania levels of creativity! ♥ Also, the physics aren't that bad, although I do wish so much it had DiRT2's physics (a.k.a the best ones of the franchise by far), and the damage model, and the camera configurations as well (although I did felt comfortable on the interior helmet cam, and the "zoom-out" effect while looking back gives me that awesome Motorstorm: pacific rift vibes ♥)... Also, about the graphics and the whole environment, the graphics themselves are awesome, really love the cars' crisp details and the tracks' details as well (so are the tracks' mechanics)... And, I understand why they went again to an "extreme sports festival" theme, but, tbh it feels kind of something is missing, or that it could be improved a bit more..., ngl, the only thing here missing is the X-games... remember how it played a huge role in D2 and 3, and, with the track creator, imagine the boom it could have here, hopefully, if codies makes an X-games expansion, it can give the game the bunch of fresh air it needs to keep relevant...

Overall, if you want to buy it afterward, go for it! It's a great game overall, and the custom player-made tracks really can make the game stand up more than you expected! But, on its own (without the track creator), it feels like something is missing in some points, hopefully, the X-games can make a return in the future! ♥

Also... MOA HRSPRS BABY!!! :cheers:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Dairyworker and FT-1 like this.
  14. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Closest thing I could find when I searched on the Playstation store was a free demo (and it's only seen with the "Dirt 5 PS4 and PS5" one I found). Is that it?

15. lexey_ch

lexey_ch

CSL Elite steering wheel is not recognized on free version of DIRT5 :boggled:

16. NekoPufferPPP

NekoPufferPPP

Surely I can't be the only one who doesn't have the patience to, nor understands the point of downloading a game I can only play for a handful of days until it expires?

Sure, Imma just spend a few hours to install the game and then I can play it tomorrow... I can understand the point if you have a PS5, but with the PS4, it's...tedious.

17. strela

strela

I think is a Great idea. Instead of a small demo you can try the full game. Than you can easily decide to buy it or not. And of course if you buy it (at least I can speak for the digital edition) you don't have to download anything else. And belive me 3-4 days are enough to almost coplete the carrier, buy most of cars, experience online and even build some playgrounds.

gjozracer likes this.
  18. Famine

Famine Administrator

Go here (and I put this link in the article), then click the Free one:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/234401

19. DerOllie

DerOllie

I see your point, but depending on the download speeds your getting, it can be done. I had it downloaded in 2 hours, and it installed right away.

20. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

21. C-ZETA

C-ZETA

I was wrong when I thought it would be like energy drink culture: it actually looks like SSX culture. Which hasn't been relevant since about 2007.
    Nothing wrong with the driving, although being limited to certain cars from the start is an inconvenience. If we have to be limited to one per class, at least let us choose which one to be limited to.
    It also seems like each discipline is just an elaborate way of saying 'a race'. Except for rally raid, which is 'a race in a rally stage'. And not actually a rally raid category.
    I'm not sure if it's worth it, really. At least a lot of the vehicles are quite unique. But the ones that aren't don't really feel like they fit into this kind of game at all.

22. DerOllie

DerOllie

Played it for 3 days now, around 7 hours, but I'm just done with it. It doesnt have really standout thing. Every race is just full thrust ahead, no precision needed, grip is everywhere, even on the ice stages, and races are looking alike now. Collecting the stamps is very arbitrary, not clear why I need them, it's progressing I guess. Then there's also the chapters, no idea what I have reached at that point I clear them, did notice that the race challenges kept getting harder... Car were all right, but handling is arcade-non-plus-full. No realism there. Game looks in some stages absolutely beautiful though. Snow stage, with full lights in front in the dark and a competitor closeby, looked amazing. Will def not buy, but it was fun for 3 days...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    gjozracer likes this.
  23. DerOllie

DerOllie

April 6th... Can still play...:gtpflag:

SlimCharles likes this.
  24. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

April 7th and still enjoying it on my end as I post this (Even after update 4.02). Kinda was surprised by this.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    DerOllie likes this.
  25. girabyt3

girabyt3 Premium

April 10th and still running good!!!