DIRT 5 Playgrounds Lets You Build Custom Off-Road Arena Courses

So they're mixing Dirt 3 with Dirt Showdown. It looks alright and kinda fun, which is the important part.

Now, i know that i'm getting old but... it does looks a bit too colorful, right? :lol:

Reminds me of those obstacle courses in dirt 4, one of the only reasons why I kind of enjoyed dirt 4. So this is good.

They didn't want to integrate Gymkhana into the main portion knowing what happened to Dirt 2 and Dirt 3, but also didn't want to sever it into a separate game knowing no one will buy it. So, they repurposed it into a Trackmania x Mario Maker side thing. Pretty clever!

Brings me back to making skate parks in Pro Skater 4. Will be a lot of fun to construct courses, but unless they integrate split-screen or this "Vampire" mode into it, I don't think I'd get much entertainment out of driving these courses all by my lonesome.

It's weird to not have any major issue with an upcoming Codemasters game this close to it's launch (some tracks being a tad wide is my only concern at this point). It really looks like they have put together a great arcade racing game.👍

As for the feature itself, it looks like loads of fun, hopefully they work it into the community events.

Reminds me of Trackmania's course creator. I wonder if someone will try to make a Press Forward course at one point :lol:

I wonder how long the novelty will last though. The arenas look pretty small and if you try to add too many obstacles it will make the average speed of the course lower. If we have a much bigger playground like the Battersea Compound in D3 it will have a much bigger scope for experimentation I think.

Also still waiting for somebody to make a true course creator like in V-Rally 2 (not a generator like in D4):

This definitely looks like an excellent addition and a lot of fun.

I’d hope that CM would expand on this and add the ability to create rallycross tracks in the arenas. *crossing fingers*

I wonder if next-gen and PC platforms will be able to have bigger sized arenas? I hope so, since the arena size I'm seeing is a tad bit small. Still looks fun regardless

I dont like how the back ends bounce sooooo hard on some of these jumps

In earlier gameplay footage with traditional offroad circuits, rally cars were landing jumps just fine so I imagine it is something to do with the contact properties of the arena materials.

Hopefully it is something that can get resolved before release.

Looks like you can build a tall parking garage style structure, with circular ramps (aka Tokyo Drift style). That will make more interesting levels than I thought initially. Pretty cool 👍

Run starts from 6:10 if you don't wanna watch the creation process.

Back