DiRT Rally 2.0 Hands-On Preview: Magical Stage Design, Tarmac Physics Need Work

Your Stage "didn't work" because they put minimum effort into it. They only put a few (pretty boring) left and right turns and that's it. If every location had 50 different sections and more being added with DLCs every few months, the game would live for years. They could also include stage editor where people would create sections from objects already included in the game (like many old games had). But Codemasters is stuck with mentality from last century (release final game on CD and completely disregard the fact that now you can push updates over internet any moment you want, not needing to release a new CD to make changes and make money).

Problem is that budgets for development are not there for years. Investors will not have that "we do our thing, trust us, it'll be alright".

Pushing updates is relatively easy on the PC. But not on consoles. It involves processes and money.

Your Stage "didn't work" because they put minimum effort into it. They only put a few (pretty boring) left and right turns and that's it. If every location had 50 different sections and more being added with DLCs every few months, the game would live for years. They could also include stage editor where people would create sections from objects already included in the game (like many old games had).
This I agree with.

But Codemasters is stuck with mentality from last century (release final game on CD and completely disregard the fact that now you can push updates over internet any moment you want, not needing to release a new CD to make changes and make money).
This I don't, particularly as DR, D4 and the entire F1 series have all received numerous patches.

Your Stage "didn't work" because they put minimum effort into it. They only put a few (pretty boring) left and right turns and that's it. If every location had 50 different sections and more being added with DLCs every few months, the game would live for years. They could also include stage editor where people would create sections from objects already included in the game (like many old games had). But Codemasters is stuck with mentality from last century (release final game on CD and completely disregard the fact that now you can push updates over internet any moment you want, not needing to release a new CD to make changes and make money).

If going by an interview with Paul C on a recent podcast creating the same amount of kilometers for Your Stage took 3 times the resources of the same kilometers of a bespoke stage in Dirt Rally, so saying that they didn't put any effort in it is not really correct.

The system needs to rely more on software rather than actually designing each tile in the old fashioned way like they did with Your Stage.

Question:

• Is Season 1 & 2 included in the Delux pre-order version only or also included in the Delux Version bought after release date?

You have zero idea how much effort they put into it. The interview Bogani refers to explains that they wanted the hardware to be able to do more of the generation but weren't able to get it working.

Now, they chose to release this and plug it as 'the next best thing' and for that I have a bad taste and understand people's reservations but they have been far more up front (eventually) with the new game's content. Fooled me once, shame on them, if they fool me twice this one will be all on me.

It would be great to see a generator that looks as good as D4's (I couldn't see the gaps in any tiles) but allows the hardware to do more of the work. It's clearly not ready for that yet.

Knowing that according to Codemasters, the Rallycross has realistic car behaviour I'd be surprised if CM will announce a dedicated Rallycross game.
I find Project Car 2 Rallycross to be quite superior physics wise actually. Also features more tracks. Of course It must be played on a wheel, whereas on Dirt Rally the way to go is the controller, as CM still stand as the kings of controller playability, imho at least. The problem when playing rallycross with a wheel, in project cars 2 too, is that you definitely need a handbrake, which is something not all of us end up setting up. On rallycross, using the throttle to swing the car one way to another is not enough. You lose time without the handbrake on rallycross tracks regardless you may feel you're doing fast.

With SMSs loose physics displayed in PC2.., I don't know what they are waiting for to make a serious wheel user oriented off-road game. And if it were rally only (regardless it's unofficial, so were old ColinMcRae games too and we loved them) then that would be the casue for some serious excitement on my part. If they ended up making a game like that, I'd seriously consider the purchase of a handbrake add-on.

Last edited:
No I haven't. Evenghough I have both pc and ps4 version, I stick to ps4 for gaming. But I am sure it is good. There are ton of good mods for AC.

@MarcoM @bogani @Rodger Davies Have any of you heard of procedural rally generator for AC? That is a work from a single guy for free. So you are being tricked by Codemasters that they couldn't do better ;)

Yeah I heard about it. If it generates endless winding roads without landmarks/junctions or any stuff that makes it feel like an actual road I still see it as 'not good enough'.

You lot remember Virtual Spectator they used in WRC broadcast early 00's? If all that data could be exported to generate roads... Dayum!

Yeah I heard about it. If it generates endless winding roads without landmarks/junctions or any stuff that makes it feel like an actual road I still see it as 'not good enough'.

You lot remember Virtual Spectator they used in WRC broadcast early 00's? If all that data could be exported to generate roads... Dayum!

I wouldn't mind bland scenery so much from a generating algorithm. The problem I see is the algo would likely face great difficulty generating accurate pace notes for the random stage.

That's why I pointed out that it was made by one guy in his free time. Put a few million dollars and 50 people there. You don't think there would be a difference?

I wouldn't mind bland scenery so much from a generating algorithm. The problem I see is the algo would likely face great difficulty generating accurate pace notes for the random stage.
We have autonomous cars driving around and robots that you hardly distinguish from real humans. That would be a piece of cake for an AI engineer.

I just assigned my very old Logitech joystick as an analogue handbrake in Assetto Corsa and Wreckfest. Looking forward to start handbraking in a rally game. Maybe Dirt rally 2.0 but I have doubts since I saw that strange looking donut in Dirt Rally 2.0.

That's why I pointed out that it was made by one guy in his free time. Put a few million dollars and 50 people there. You don't think there would be a difference?

Put a few million dollars and 50 people into Codemasters and I suspect you'd get that stage generator. You'd just struggle to make the investment back (assuming you also wanted car models, licences, physics developing, sounds, a UI, multiplayer etc etc...).

They do what they can within a budget and the tools they have at their disposal. I look at it and ask if it looks enjoyable, affordable and if it looks like a step forward from the last game.

DLC Info has landed

52333417_2458423950896825_2257828427350409216_o.jpg

http://blog.codemasters.com/community/02/seasonone-dr2/ Cool content structure, adding bits consistently over time rather than in a single dose.

2000s class
no 037 or Porsche 911 interestingly
wasn't expecting Monte, but looking forward to it
and the way the content is added over time is very nice
hopefully the Subaru is a late 2000s one to match the others

It's been confirmed apparently to not be the same as we have had so would imagine it's an 2007 to fit the C4, Fabia and Focus.

They should have definitely added the uk and Finland rallies from dr1 instead of Montecarlo and Germany, and leave Sweden of ourse.

I don't udnerstand odd choices specially considering DR tarmac physics are not a favourite among most. Spain which is already there, and then Montecarlo as DLC would have made for the better tarmac rally fix.

Last edited:
They should have definitely added the uk and Finland rallies from dr1 instead of Montecarlo and Germany, and leave Sweden of ourse.

I don't udnerstand odd choices specially considering DR physics are not a favourite among most. Spain which is already there, and then Montecarlo as DLC would have made for the better tarmac rally fix.

I would guess because we have quite similar rallies to them in DR2. Monte Carlo, Sweden and Germany all offer something different to what's already there.

I would love Wales to return, and I wouldn't rule it out in season 2, but I understand why they have chosen those 3 initially.

From the blog post:

"New vehicles to the DiRT Rally franchise also include the ŠKODA Fabia Rally, the BMW M1 Procar Rally, and the Subaru Impreza – all cars that have been highly-requested by the community in recent years."

I must be missing something, but Imprezas still is in DR. I guess we now get a 2000s version?

@Rodger Davies , you mean no Group B Porsche? I agree that would nice to have.

All in all, I think the DLC1 content is very very solid :) Bring on Friday 22. My wife has plans to go to photo / food exhibition on Saturday 23 with her mother. I hope those plans solidify. :)

Yep looks like it's a later 2000s Impreza that the community have wanted to compete with the Focus and C4.

From Christina (community manager)

"However, the Skoda Fabia Rally is 14 years old and competed in the top flight of rally. The C4 is nine years old, and also competed in the top flight of rally. Also, the Subaru Impreza did too... two years before that. (I hope I can count. It is 2019, right?)"

Sounds like:
2005 Fabia
Škoda_Fabia_WRC_Cyprus_Rally_2005.jpg

2010 C4
citroen-c4-wrc-01.jpg

2001 Impreza
8ed2c032258feadaed18d0a06728f099.jpg

2007 Focus
marcus_1.jpg

For the new look 2000s class.

I'll throw this here too:
710cdfa3ab82e4dd12e90d2f282e7a03.jpg

:drool:

Edit: she got her dates wrong, it is the 2001 Impreza.

Last edited:
I am quite happy with the DLC even if a lot of it is Dirt 1 content. Didn't even notice the lack of 2000s Subaru Impreza in the launch game but glad to see it included in the packs. Hoping it is a 2004/5 model.

Remastered stages from the classic rally in DR1 sound great but honestly it feels like a slap in the face from codemasters to make us pay for these, releasing so soon after launch makes me think most of the content is ready and could be released at launch.

Also I have been playing DR1 in preparation for DR2 so these stages will feel even more familiar, saying that I understand it's optional and I won;t be forced to buy it just would've been nice to see some new content and new stages to learn with the DLC.

The problem with the original DR was the lack of content and I thought DLC would solve this but this DLC won't keep me gripped in the long run after I have already put 1000's of km's into these routes.

Still looking forward to the game, won't be a day one but it will be the next game i will purchase.

Latest Posts

Back