DiRT Rally Thread

That's why the pros are so fun to watch. It's like watching someone playing chess thinking 4 moves ahead... But instead of sitting there behind the board he's pelting a small hatchback through narrow paths at insane speeds.

I'm going around a corner and he tells me the next will be a square right, as I go down the straight and try to prepare for the technical square right he has just layed off a list of 3 corners after the square right.. I haven't even done the square right and he's already told me the next 3.

This is extremely confusing and requires you to use brain power to think far ahead, rather than focussing on the terrain and the matter at hand.. Or rather it causes you to zone out and drive purely by visuals because there is too much information.

All the other stages are well timed for the most part, with information relayed with only 1-2 corners in advance, most of the time the corner you're approaching is the corner he has just told you about, this is good. 3 corners ahead of the corner you're approaching is terrible.
that's what the pros have to do. if you dont like it tweak the timings for each event.

Unfortunately that's how it's done in normal rallies...a good 2-3 turns in advance. You can adjust this some in the game, but I'm not sure how much you can slow it down.

I've asked before - what's the best place to download liveries for vehicles?

that's what the pros have to do. if you dont like it tweak the timings for each event.

You really did not read what I originally said did you? I mean why reply if you're not even reading what you're replying to? This only happens at Finland, nowhere else, it's a bug.

As for the first part, that really is not what the pros do at all. I've watched enough rally onboards.

Have a watch at that, he's always 1-2 corners and then he waits, he's timing his notes properly.. It's nothing remotely like what I'm describing in game.

Last edited:
You really did not read what I originally said did you? I mean why reply if you're not even reading what you're replying to? This only happens at Finland, nowhere else, it's a bug.

As for the first part, that really is not what the pros do at all. I've watched enough rally onboards.

Have a watch at that, he's always 1-2 corners and then he waits, he's timing his notes properly.. It's nothing remotely like what I'm describing in game.

I've read your comments and you seem to have two main issues with the co driving.
The first is the notes themselves. i agree with you that sometime you go into a corner and it different to whats you were expecting but that's because drivers and co drivers do a recce of the stages and tweak the notes. This why you see many different styles of pace notes. to help this have a quick practice on the stage before go at a slower pace and learn any differences.
The second point you make is timing. now i'm sure if you're aware but i believe you can tweak the timing in pause menu on a stage. So have a few shakedowns and play with the timing.
here some video to show what i mean about style notes.
first up colin form 2001.
His pacenotes are very minimal with just the basic requirements

Next up we have solberg from 2004.
The paces notes are read faster as there is slightly more detail.

Finally we have chris meeke from this year.
The pace notes come thick and fast but with a lot of detail.

Now look at dirt co driver falls between colin and solbergs style.

i know this may not help solve your issues with co driving, but it may show how different the pace notes can be.

That said, I wouldn't mind the ability to stack visual pacenotes on screen, in a similar manner to RBR. There you could arrange it so that you could see stacked visual pacenotes for up to 3 coming corners, which is a handy reminder if you are sleepy and trying to rally without being fully concentrated.

I feel the pace notes are fine. Yes there is some bends and turns that aren't as sharp or are sharper than the co/driver says, but if I'm running that stage for the first time, then I'll be prepared for a dodgy call and driving at 60-70% until I learn the stage and know where the dodgy calls are.

I've said before the timing is for the most part not the issue anywhere other than Finland, I also said that I've already tried changing the timing and it makes no difference, because it's not about when he calls them but rather how many he calls in each set.

Square left... as I approach it he has laid off the next 3, due to it being a really slow corner that means it's still quite some time until I get there, by the time i'm on the straight after the square left he has already begun to tell me the corners after the 3 that I have still not yet approached.. And then he sais nothing and comes in later to play catch up..

It's not like I have the opportuntity to space them out myself, he will still stack them in the same manner but just very slightly later down the road, but even on the latest setting that particular corner still has the notes given pre corner or on corner entry, with the following 3 still on the straight.. Effectively you could even view it as 5-6 in advance at certain points.

none of these videos above are describing my issue, it's not something that makes any sense. When I get a chance to play again I will try to make a video of what I'm talking about.

Hi, among you, some are interested to do the #HappyStreet achievement ?

I desperately try to find people for it. :(

Last edited:
Just thought I'd let some of you know about this awesome and massive DiRT Rally championship going on over at the SROL website.

The first rally at Monaco started yesterday and finishes on Monday so it's not too late to join, just sign up, choose a class, join the league and get those stages done!

http://simraceonline.forumsmotion.com/f10-srol-rally-championship-season-1

So far there are 52 competitors over the two classes available so it looks like we're in for a real test and treat over the coming months!

Just thought I'd let some of you know about this awesome and massive DiRT Rally championship going on over at the SROL website.

The first rally at Monaco started yesterday and finishes on Monday so it's not too late to join, just sign up, choose a class, join the league and get those stages done!

http://simraceonline.forumsmotion.com/f10-srol-rally-championship-season-1

So far there are 52 competitors over the two classes available so it looks like we're in for a real test and treat over the coming months!
I just ran my stages in this. There are some stellar drivers in this series, great competition.

I just ran my stages in this. There are some stellar drivers in this series, great competition.

Too right there is! I'm sitting in 8th at the moment, having drove my absolute fastest and cleanest! There are some very quick guys up the top!

I suppose Monaco is one of the easier rally's to drive and not spin or crash. Greece is next so I expect everyone to have a few more problems and the times to be a bit more spaced out.

Too right there is! I'm sitting in 8th at the moment, having drove my absolute fastest and cleanest! There are some very quick guys up the top!

I suppose Monaco is one of the easier rally's to drive and not spin or crash. Greece is next so I expect everyone to have a few more problems and the times to be a bit more spaced out.
I'm 5th in the 70's cars. Was probably one of my greatest drives ever, I only made one or two mistakes that cost me maybe 10-15 seconds. I even switched setups for the final two stages since they didn't have any snow on them.

New achievements are added to steam... so the R4 class is coming to Dirt Rally!
And hints on twitter for the new Modern Master Update say, that there will be the Focus RS WRC and a red one....

Going back to the original leaked car classes: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/dirt-rally-car-list-not-wishlist.327657/

R1-R3, R4 and R5 "junior" rally classes were all originally envisioned, plus of course WRC 2015. These are the only "modern" rally cars envisioned, all other rally cars are older.

I would love to see at the very least R5 cars, since they are obviously used in WRC-2 support series.
As far as I understand, the WRC-3 support series uses 2WD R1-R3 class cars, so those would also be good to see.
R4 is not really as important, since it's only used in local country championships, alongside the old S2000 class.

Going back to the original leaked car classes: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/dirt-rally-car-list-not-wishlist.327657/

R1-R3, R4 and R5 "junior" rally classes were all originally envisioned, plus of course WRC 2015. These are the only "modern" rally cars envisioned, all other rally cars are older.

I would love to see at the very least R5 cars, since they are obviously used in WRC-2 support series.
As far as I understand, the WRC-3 support series uses 2WD R1-R3 class cars, so those would also be good to see.
R4 is not really as important, since it's only used in local country championships, alongside the old S2000 class.

Would love to see some R5´s and S2000....

Would love to see some R5´s and S2000....
same but it ultimately comes down to licensing. however after doing wmd i suspect there working on quite a few of those cars that will maybe released with sweden and then as dlc. I think that the saab would be a strong contender to be released with the sweden dlc.

I've definitely wanted to see a step-progression in modern rally cars to add to the flavor of a career. We need some modern, low power FWD rally cars, then some lower power AWD before moving into WRC cars and the like.

Biggest issue in career is the stupid power upgrade thing. New bought cars are so damn sluggish at start its ridiculous.

Sure some upgrades are nice, but should be susp and very small power gain related, being worth say 5 or so seconds in a 4-5min stage with extra grip and power.

JvM
Biggest issue in career is the stupid power upgrade thing. New bought cars are so damn sluggish at start its ridiculous.

Sure some upgrades are nice, but should be susp and very small power gain related, being worth say 5 or so seconds in a 4-5min stage with extra grip and power.
Agreed, i can understand chassis tweaks through damper development etc. but you're not going to start a season 40bhp off what the quoted figure would be.

I also think that the crew perks are pointless. rather than having reduced upgrade times. have the crew members come we pre defined perks like crew member 1 has slightly lower repair skills but his perk would make the the radiator more resistant to damage. where member 2 has higher skills but chassis development is slower.

This would make the crew more important and would require player to think a bit more.

Your link isn't working (it just says I've taken the survey), but are you sure that's new? I remember filling out a survey about Codemasters' next off-road game (the responses to which were clearly used to design DiRT Rally) two or three years ago. It might be the same one since I don't see any mention of a new survey on the official DiRT Rally Twitter page.

Oh, I see it's on their Facebook face. Disregard this.

Last edited:
The R4 Evo X and Impreza WRX STI:

Monte_Banner_1_Full-edited.jpg

Impreza_Finland_2_A.png

And two new additions to the 2000s class introduced with Finland... the Citroen C4 WRC and Ford Focus RS WRC

C4_Wales_01_A.png

v.2 handling is also being added to Group B and Group A cars as well.

Back