DiRT Rally Thread

I love working out the strategy of the AI,which ones take the joker early,and sometimes you have to just wait for them to make a mistake or crash to get though.
The best strategy is to joker on the first lap after everyone has taken theirs. Except at Hell - joker straight away because the circuit is long enough and fast enough to catch everyone up.

The best strategy is to joker on the first lap after everyone has taken theirs. Except at Hell - joker straight away because the circuit is long enough and fast enough to catch everyone up.
Just don't make the mistake of passing them, or if you do, keep your car as close to the right/curb as possible. They'll divebomb into the joker path and could end up T-boning you.

So, a couple of days ago I started the Masters Rally Championship, and I decided this time to use the '01 Impreza. I decided to grind out the first few upgrades beforehand, but I was having so much fun with it that I decided to get it up to spec before starting the championship proper.

First up was Wales, I lost a bit of time on the first 2 stages, but I managed to haul myself in front by the time I got to stage 6, Sweet Lamb... and this is where I had one of those moments where you effectively go into auto-pilot, daydreaming almost. This was the result;

U9yqaqP.jpg

I've always had trouble with the first part of this track, half the time when I try to take it at speed I'll go over a crest too fast and end up doing barrel rolls... or getting a close-up of some lovely bark. This time around, not only did I get through it unscathed, I was actually up on the leading time (N.Becker is the driver that's always been quickest throughout my championship mode). After that I just tore through the moorland, easily one of my best drives so far. :)

I did record the resulting replay, and I'm debating whether to upload it or not but the quality is a bit... dubious. I've been having trouble with frame drops in all sorts of places, especially Monte Carlo, and lowering various settings hasn't done much to appease that.

And in case I didn't make it clear; that Impreza is now my favourite car in the game. So lovely to drive, so lovely to listen to. :D

Finally finished this month's event. Don't know why everyone raves about the M3 because it handles like it's wallowing through molasses - it didn't matter what I did with the setup or the throttle; all I got was wheelspin. Especially going up the Col de Turini.

Still, it's better than the Sierra Cosworth, which looks like a brick, handles like a brick, and is so heavy that it might as well be made of brick.

Finally finished this month's event. Don't know why everyone raves about the M3 because it handles like it's wallowing through molasses - it didn't matter what I did with the setup or the throttle; all I got was wheelspin. Especially going up the Col de Turini.

Still, it's better than the Sierra Cosworth, which looks like a brick, handles like a brick, and is so heavy that it might as well be made of brick.

It's not an easy car to get good times with but it's so much fun to drive :)

I have found DiRT rally an easy game to forget due to limited playtime and still always drawn to PCars.... but boy when I fired it up the other day it really is such a fantastic experience... must remember to play it more!!!!

No monthly DLCs and no monthly bug fixes seems to be what makes it easy to forget :)

No monthly DLCs and no monthly bug fixes seems to be what makes it easy to forget :)
I would be quite happy to see some DLC actually. I cannot stand RallyCross and Hill Climb is limited with just Pikes Peak, so I would like to see a new rally. A few new cars would be nice too. Where is Toyota?

Failing new content I hope Codemasters open the disciplines to all cars categories. There are some cracking combinations just waiting to be tried.

Last edited:
Guys... I'm renting this game right now and I'm in absolute awe. Everything from the damn BEAUTIFUL soundtracks to the graphics to the physics to the customization/car selection just everything. This game is phenomenal! so far I WOULD put it above Dirt 2 but Dirt2 is just good memories and nostaligia for me, maybe I need more hours in this game then I will put this above all dirt games.
Love love love love this game!

Speaking of the soundtracks. I find myself just chilling in the menu just for the songs. Is there a playlist anywhere of these songs? I'm not seeing anything on Spotify

So I picked up this game yesterday...

Really fun to play but man the AI are so hard in the Rally Cross section!! Is it only possible to win once the car has been fully upgraded??

Guys... I'm renting this game right now and I'm in absolute awe. Everything from the damn BEAUTIFUL soundtracks to the graphics to the physics to the customization/car selection just everything. This game is phenomenal! so far I WOULD put it above Dirt 2 but Dirt2 is just good memories and nostaligia for me, maybe I need more hours in this game then I will put this above all dirt games.
Love love love love this game!

Speaking of the soundtracks. I find myself just chilling in the menu just for the songs. Is there a playlist anywhere of these songs? I'm not seeing anything on Spotify

Go to youtube and there's a timestamp in the descriptions. Not playlist or Spotify, but good enough until they release an official OST (if they ever do).

Not their greatest menu OST for me (that honour belongs to Race Driver Grid), but it suits the UI perfectly. Plus it's nice to chill in the menus after an insane rally stage :crazy:

So I picked up this game yesterday...

Really fun to play but man the AI are so hard in the Rally Cross section!! Is it only possible to win once the car has been fully upgraded??
BTW just to prove a point that I'm not actually crap.
Reno Clio 1600 with Engine stage 1 and full setup.

I got to the Semi final stage of the Sweden Full Track right?
My group:
Dion - 4:22.703 - FL: 42.796
S.Leroux - 4:23..996 - FL: 43.184
H. Demir - 4:24.298 - FL: 42.748
Then drops off by 4 seconds to 4:28 for remaining 3

Top Group: (the top guy in this group is unbeatable when I race him and the second guy is 50/50

M.Blanco - 4:35.408 - FL: 45.758
M.Zhao - 4:35.450 - FL: 45.763
Then drops off by 4 seconds to 4:39 / 4:40 / 4:41 for remaining guys

Then I go to the final and even with a million restarts and running a 42.4 best lap I can only get 2nd if I'm extremely lucky but mainly 3rd.

WTF?

Last edited:
They said no? Fools!
They're consolidating all of their motorsport operations under one name, Toyota GAZOO Racing, even when the individual cars are being run by different teams. I'm guessing that's what led to their saying no - they only want to be affiliated with officially-licenced titles like Gran Turismo Sport.

Go to youtube and there's a timestamp in the descriptions. Not playlist or Spotify, but good enough until they release an official OST (if they ever do).

Not their greatest menu OST for me (that honour belongs to Race Driver Grid), but it suits the UI perfectly. Plus it's nice to chill in the menus after an insane rally stage :crazy:

yeah you're right the menu is a little sloppy. but I think I was just too mesmerized by the graphics & soundtrack to even care hahahaha.

I'm playing with the HUD and everything off. Is there a website or anything that explains the co-pilots calls? like what does it mean when they say "Left 2 long" or whatever? I'd like to learn all the terms

yeah you're right the menu is a little sloppy. but I think I was just too mesmerized by the graphics & soundtrack to even care hahahaha.

I'm playing with the HUD and everything off. Is there a website or anything that explains the co-pilots calls? like what does it mean when they say "Left 2 long" or whatever? I'd like to learn all the terms
http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/04/co-driver-calls-explained/
DiRT-RALLY-pacenotes.jpg

Unfortunately not all the calls are right. There's a bit of human error involved, and you'll just have to remember the corners. They're usually "cautions" or "tight" though. :P

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/04/co-driver-calls-explained/View attachment 549625
Unfortunately not all the calls are right. There's a bit of human error involved, and you'll just have to remember the corners. They're usually "cautions" or "tight" though. :P
this is great. thanks my man!!!

I'm assuming Long and Shorts are as they sound to be; like long straights or long rights?
because sometimes I hear them say Long too

edit: Just read the article, " We talk about corners that Open, Tighten or Double Tighten when the angle of the corner changes mid way through. We describe the corner length using Half Long, Long or Continues for."
:cheers:

this is great. thanks my man!!!

I'm assuming Long and Shorts are as they sound to be; like long straights or long rights?
because sometimes I hear them say Long too

edit: Just read the article, " We talk about corners that Open, Tighten or Double Tighten when the angle of the corner changes mid way through. We describe the corner length using Half Long, Long or Continues for."
:cheers:
Most confusing ones for me are half-longs. :P

They're consolidating all of their motorsport operations under one name, Toyota GAZOO Racing, even when the individual cars are being run by different teams. I'm guessing that's what led to their saying no - they only want to be affiliated with officially-licenced titles like Gran Turismo Sport.
Good point that. Makes sense unfortunately. Either that or money as Codemasters had a relatively small budget for DiRT Rally and as far as I know Toyota are quite expensive for racecar rights.

Regardless of the reason I'm not pleased as I am a Toyota diehard. Their loss.

Ive just begun Rally Cross at Masters level,and wow its tough - first race at Lyddon Hill,it took me an hour to get in the top 12 to get to the semi! I realised you have to stay out of the bottom 4 in a heat,otherwise they always beat me on time and i find myself at the bottom of the rankings. If i stay with the 9th-12th cars i can get through. Really enjoying the challenge though - havnt even got to the World championship yet.

I can't be the only one that gets slightly creeped out by the attempt at emulating humanism in the co-driver's voice. I find it eerily realistic that he sometimes clears his throat, and stutters over some calls, that he doesn't do again when the same calls arise upon restarting the stage.
It's a licencing issue. Toyota apparently said no.
This all but dashes my hopes of seeing the Celica GT-Four vs Delta HF Integrale being replicated in the game. :(

I find it eerily realistic that he sometimes clears his throat, and stutters over some calls, that he doesn't do again when the same calls arise upon restarting the stage.
It's because they stuck the voice actor in a simulator complete with the bumps and jolts of a stage.

This all but dashes my hopes of seeing the Celica GT-Four vs Delta HF Integrale being replicated in the game.
If a sequel happens, then Toyota could appear there. But they're very expensive, their licences are pretty restrictive, and the game was made on a relatively small budget in the first place.

Once you figure out a car and get to know the stages better, this game is amazingly fun. The feeling of nailing every single corner perfectly throughout a stage is satisfying... even if I still end up in 9th position. Most recently I bought the 2002 Impreza and it's pure bliss. I'm addicted, I can't put the game down.

I really do hope we see Toyotas in Dirt Rally 2, all generations of Celicas even the ST165. And the Corolla WRC. Perhaps even the new Yaris rally car they're making.

I've recently removed the timers and the progress bar on the left from the HUD and it makes for a much better, less stressful and less distracting experience. I honestly don't know what took me so long.

Is there a glitch on pikes peak? I got 3. place on full course gravel, within a sec of 2. place, and 1. place is around 4 min faster.. Just think its strange that just one guy found this glitch, useally when its a glitch, there is a bunch of people exploting it.

Back