DiRT Rally Thread

I am just getting back in to this seeing @doblocruiser latest photos..The deep sounding Engine Audio, pops, bangs and back fires, transmission, and chassis creaks are still one of the best out there with a nice balance of all sounds. Coming back to it after a little break, I am enjoying a mixture of DS4/T300RS and the brilliant VR..
The Lancia Stratos engine and handling is now one of my faves in the game, having stuck to all the Fords, Evos and scoobies it makes a nice change getting back in the old classics.

I love the water drying to mud and staying on the window dripping down :bowdown:

I haven't played DiRT for a very long time. I think that I've probably only played about 10 hours total which is really disappointing really. I did a few rallycross events online and I think that I just got frustrated with the game and put it away. I really should start playing this again.

I haven't played DiRT for a very long time. I think that I've probably only played about 10 hours total which is really disappointing really. I did a few rallycross events online and I think that I just got frustrated with the game and put it away. I really should start playing this again.
Me, on the other hand, have been playing DiRT Rally more lately, more even than Assetto Corsa.

Started a whole new campaign and been having a blast driving the A110 - great for exercising your arms, too, with all the DOR. :D

Having said that, I hate rallycross and probably won't ever touch it again.

Hmm, I think that's where I went wrong.... Rallycross is just a bit frustrating.

I think that my career mode still has me driving the Mini. I need to check, it's been that long. :lol:

And that's the thing see? Just like PCARS, you have to really invest a lot of time into the game to see how deep, engaging and innovative the physics engine is. Sure, it could use improvements, but currently in the world of virtual rallying, there's noting better out there. Plus, car audio... man... enough said!

I'll have to look into the FFB settings some more and try and fine tune things. It certainly felt good, but it wasn't amazing. I'm on PC with a G27. Hopefully if I tweak things the game might come to life more and I'll feel the physics. The one thing that attracted me to DiRT was that it's more realistic (simulator), rather than just another arcade style rally game.

You're right about PCARS, it can be fine tuned in such intricate detail it's insane. :D

This is on humble bundle for $12. If you buy the monthly then you get it, you can cancel it afterwards.

I've tried Dirt Rally with a wheel this weekend and on gravel it worked out OK but on Pikes Peak the cars seem undriveable. The 208 T16 does nothing more than oversteer with the slightest lift-off or applying the accelerator (non stop drifting wheels odd, very odd). I wanted to do a comparison with SLRE but in Dirt Rally the car simply feels very unrealistic and impossible to drive correctly. Any tips on how to improve this or is it a known issue with the PP cars on tarmac?

I've tried Dirt Rally with a wheel this weekend and on gravel it worked out OK but on Pikes Peak the cars seem undriveable. The 208 T16 does nothing more than oversteer with the slightest lift-off or applying the accelerator (non stop drifting wheels odd, very odd). I wanted to do a comparison with SLRE but in Dirt Rally the car simply feels very unrealistic and impossible to drive correctly. Any tips on how to improve this or is it a known issue with the PP cars on tarmac?

Codies got tarmac physics all wrong in DR. They admitted it and supposedly have made big improvements for D4.

The 208 is tough to drive. Try one of the other cars or play with the setup.

Codies got tarmac physics all wrong in DR. They admitted it and supposedly have made big improvements for D4.

The 208 is tough to drive. Try one of the other cars or play with the setup.
Fiddled with the steeringsettings which made a big difference 👍

I played Dirt Rally with a Logitech DFGT on a friend's PS4, but the rotation degrees is locked at 180(or 240, don't know), there is a way to change it? I gave a quick look at the settings but i couldn't find.

My T500 is about to arrive in few days and i'm planning on but Dirt Rally, but play with such a small rotation degree is... unplayable, really!
Saw some videos and a lot of people play it with a higher wheel rotation, but only found it on PC.

I played Dirt Rally with a Logitech DFGT on a friend's PS4, but the rotation degrees is locked at 180(or 240, don't know), there is a way to change it? I gave a quick look at the settings but i couldn't find.

My T500 is about to arrive in few days and i'm planning on but Dirt Rally, but play with such a small rotation degree is... unplayable, really!
Saw some videos and a lot of people play it with a higher wheel rotation, but only found it on PC.
I don't know about the DFGT but I use a T300 and it's at 1080 which is great for me. Have you tried the wheel calibration in the game and see what happens with it

I got DR yesterday, swapped out the G27 on my rig for the G29 and took a quick test run at Greece with the Mini to get the settings where I want. I am so looking forward to this game...but won't have time until my next day off (Thurs) to really play it. Oh man I can't wait. Forgot how much I like dirt rallying and competing with the clock... :) 👍

I'm interested in knowing how the sounds and physics have evolved since Dirt Rally. Thoughts?
The sounds are pretty good, but the physics have taken criticism. I don't see it myself, since I still have to hustle the car to get the best time out of it. And some of the more powerful four wheel drive cars need way more throttle modulation to keep them under control at higher speeds.

I've been watching and reading some Codemasters devs feedback and they say the following:

Dirt rally seemed harder and more hardcore because the simulation was primitive and handling wasn't modeled in the best way. Cars felt less grippy and less predictable.
Now in Dirt 4, we developed the simulation model and hence improved the simulation and the realism. A result of that is that we were able to model the grip and cars characteristics in a more realistic way.

In other words: Being harder doesn't mean it's more realistic. Now they have a more realistic simulation model.

I think I'm happy about that, I'll take any realistic simulation over a harder less realistic one!

I've been watching and reading some Codemasters devs feedback and they say the following:

Dirt rally seemed harder and more hardcore because the simulation was primitive and handling wasn't modeled in the best way. Cars felt less grippy and less predictable.
Now in Dirt 4, we developed the simulation model and hence improved the simulation and the realism. A result of that is that we were able to model the grip and cars characteristics in a more realistic way.

In other words: Being harder doesn't mean it's more realistic. Now they have a more realistic simulation model.

I think I'm happy about that, I'll take any realistic simulation over a harder less realistic one!

That's good to know. I'm really looking forward to the tarmac driving in D4.

I'll take any realistic simulation over a harder less realistic one!
I always hate it people cry foul because the simulation "isn't realistic enough" because I know they'll be the first to complain about the difficulty if ever their vision of what a simulation should be is ever actually realised.

That's good to know. I'm really looking forward to the tarmac driving in D4.
I've only done a handful of stages so far as part of the Founder Invitational. It was hard to judge because the game released in the United States on the sixth and everywhere else on the ninth, but RaceNet went live on the sixth. So there were only two days to complete it when I started the game - and my usual way of playing is to spend a few hours learning how everything handles, then restarting for a serious play-through (it stems from story-oriented games where I have missed key plot details because I have been trying to figure out the gameplay mechanics). And the Founder Invitational was run in an R5 car when I was largely cutting my teeth in the R2 class.

But I have noticed that the tarmac requires more control than in previous games. You get really good traction, but it's a double-edged sword because it will pull or push you around if you let it. You get such good bite that every steering input is exaggerated when you're under power. It's not like gravel where you can trust the softer surface to bleed off some of the excess traction.

But I have noticed that the tarmac requires more control than in previous games. You get really good traction, but it's a double-edged sword because it will pull or push you around if you let it. You get such good bite that every steering input is exaggerated when you're under power. It's not like gravel where you can trust the softer surface to bleed off some of the excess traction.

I think that's a step in the right direction. In DR, the tarmac driving felt floaty and unpredictable like the C.McRae games, but this sounds like good news. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Looking forward to getting D4!

I Only just picked up DR today for PS4.
Chasing a proper realistic wheel setup for the G29.
So far with all assists off, sequential manual, clutch override and 900 degree rotation, it's actually pretty good.
But feel it could be a little better.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I am just getting back in to this seeing @doblocruiser latest photos..The deep sounding Engine Audio, pops, bangs and back fires, transmission, and chassis creaks are still one of the best out there with a nice balance of all sounds. Coming back to it after a little break, I am enjoying a mixture of DS4/T300RS and the brilliant VR..
The Lancia Stratos engine and handling is now one of my faves in the game, having stuck to all the Fords, Evos and scoobies it makes a nice change getting back in the old classics.

I love the water drying to mud and staying on the window dripping down :bowdown:

Ahahaha..."scoobies"? You mean "Subis", yeh? :lol:

In DR, the tarmac driving felt floaty and unpredictable like the C.McRae games
I actually found it very predictable to the point where I could drive around any issue that arose (except in an 037).

this sounds like good news
I still haven't done any more tarmac events. I've only really done the introductory stuff in Michigan and experimented with Your Stage.

Back