DiRT Rally Thread

I've had the game since release, but I had my first PVP Dirt Rally race at the weekend, Awesome!
I could get addicted to that.

Playing in PSVR on PS4, was good fun and clean racing.

I've had the game since release, but I had my first PVP Dirt Rally race at the weekend, Awesome!
I could get addicted to that.

Playing in PSVR on PS4, was good fun and clean racing.
PVP?! What do you mean? Rallycross?
Can you please explain a bit? I have the game and PSVR and it's been eating dust for a while now.

Player vs Player, it's the online rallycross.

I'm not at my PS4 to provide screen shots of menu options, but make sure you have bought a rallycross car and fully upgraded it.

I did see some people with a loaned car, but they were so slow in comparison.

I had one race where I bumped my way past a guy and he smashed me for the rest of the race, so lesson learnt I kept it clean after that and everyne else did too. It was brilliant racing in VR, looking in mirrors and over my shoulders etc.

Player vs Player, it's the online rallycross.

I'm not at my PS4 to provide screen shots of menu options, but make sure you have bought a rallycross car and fully upgraded it.

I did see some people with a loaned car, but they were so slow in comparison.

I had one race where I bumped my way past a guy and he smashed me for the rest of the race, so lesson learnt I kept it clean after that and everyne else did too. It was brilliant racing in VR, looking in mirrors and over my shoulders etc.

Yeah man I've raced a couple of times in rallycross with some friends and it was fun. But as you said, I was on a loaned car (coz i've never driven those and not a fan of RX) and they were on fully upgraded cars.

How is DiRT Rally to play with Thrustmaster or Logitech wheels... Is the FFB how consistent between cars and track surfaces?
I'm using the CSL Elite Ps4 on compatibility mode (as G29?) and i need at least two different FFB setups for each car, gravel & tarmac. Depending on track surface, car or car class the FFB can change from good to nonexistent.

How is DiRT Rally to play with Thrustmaster or Logitech wheels... Is the FFB how consistent between cars and track surfaces?
I'm using the CSL Elite Ps4 on compatibility mode (as G29?) and i need at least two different FFB setups for each car, gravel & tarmac. Depending on track surface, car or car class the FFB can change from good to nonexistent.
Overall its pretty good and consistent with my T300 on a PS4 Pro, certainly never found the need to change it from car to car or surface to surface.

^^^Same here as Scaff with my G29 Knukel. I'm usually not that demanding on FFB in rally games as much as I am in racing games.
I initially found DR to be really aggressive and powerful on my wheel so I reduced highest FFB value to 75 and reduced some of those to 50 or 25 depending on their importance, in order to keep the most important the most noticeable. I don't recommend keeping all values at maximum or even equal.

I see no one's posted here for a bit, but I guess I should still ask here. I just picked this up for PS4 today, got home, and it did its auto update thing for games. No big deal, its supposedly up to date now with version 1.04. So I go to load the game, and I'm fine till the start screen. Start screen says version 1.1. I hit Options and it says its checking for download content, and after a while of waiting and the disk drive going back and forth with itself, I get a blue screen saying the game can't load and it has to quit. I checked the disk as it suggested; it looks fine and I've cleaned it multiple times. Still nothing doing. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the issue? Since the disk looks to be in good condition, my only guess is that there's some sort of update discrepancy judging from the version number on the start screen (which doesn't seem to change) and the downloaded update files. Only thing is I tried it just as the disk is and it still did the same. Do I just need another copy? Is this one mysteriously borked, or am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Just got it to work. Somehow. Not sure what the deal is but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

RE-EDIT: Aaaaaand nevermind. I can get past the "checking download content" thing.....just. And then it boots me back out. I'm just gonna have to go back and get another copy, it looks like. There should be no reason for this.

Last edited:
Is Dirt 4 worth Getting, I loved Dirty Rally and felt disapointed by Dirt 1, 2 & 3 in genral and really miss the good CM Rally games, I still play CM Rally 2 on my PSP from time to time, its still up ther for pure fun.

Played the Gravel demo and was like really they charge ppl for this game, its total toilet, anyway Dirt 4 should I or should I not?

Is Dirt 4 worth Getting, I loved Dirty Rally and felt disapointed by Dirt 1, 2 & 3 in genral and really miss the good CM Rally games, I still play CM Rally 2 on my PSP from time to time, its still up ther for pure fun.

Played the Gravel demo and was like really they charge ppl for this game, its total toilet, anyway Dirt 4 should I or should I not?
I recently bought the game and i like DiRT 4 so far. Have only tried rallycareer though. Have not tried any of the other modes. The rally part is still as challenging as DiRT rally. There is even improvement if you have a wheel. You feel more weight of the car in the feedback. So if you can buy it cheap, I definitely recommend it!

For 14.99 If your in the Us. I SAY yes grab it. I only like rally cross and landrush just for that it's worth it.

What are the best wheel settings for this game? I have an old Fanatec CSR wheel connected to my PS4 using a DriveHub in fanalogic mode. I find the default way to sensitive. I have turned up the saturation(?) and turned on soft-loc but I was wondering what the settings should be for best realism. Also, the saturation keeps resetting on me for some reason.

I've just tried Sweet Lamb in the 2001 Impreza as my first attempt with the G29. As a rally fan I always considered them to have to be the best drivers of all and using a wheel I can fully support that theory now!

I was timid at first but boy do you have to work that wheel and pedals fast when you up the pace. What a buzz!

I'm thinking of getting this mainly for the Rally cross...I have a G29 but I don't have a shifter or a handbrake, can I just use the paddle shift? Regarding difficulty, I play Assetto Corsa is it a similar level?

You can just use the paddle shift, and you can map the ebrake to a button on the wheel as well.

Last edited:
I got this at release and only played it a small bit. I found it really hard and just preferred the WRC games. The last few months, I've completely flipped, I can't stop playing it. I cant' get enough, it's so damn good, so authentic and super fun.

I just got V-Rally 4 and I'm a bit disappointed. It's fun, and I enjoy it, but every time I play I just think "I'd rather be playing Dirt Rally". FPS makes a huge difference. And handling, and graphics. I'm not trying to downplay other games, they have their place, but Dirt Rally is still just blowing my mind. The rumor that part 2 may be coming has got me the most excited for a racing game I've been in a long time.

I really want to try the VR at some point.

I got this at release and only played it a small bit. I found it really hard and just preferred the WRC games. The last few months, I've completely flipped, I can't stop playing it. I cant' get enough, it's so damn good, so authentic and super fun.

I just got V-Rally 4 and I'm a bit disappointed. It's fun, and I enjoy it, but every time I play I just think "I'd rather be playing Dirt Rally". FPS makes a huge difference. And handling, and graphics. I'm not trying to downplay other games, they have their place, but Dirt Rally is still just blowing my mind. The rumor that part 2 may be coming has got me the most excited for a racing game I've been in a long time.

I really want to try the VR at some point.

Dirt Rally in VR is very difficult for me. I get motion sickness quite fast. It is weird, because I rarely get carsick, airsick, sick in a rollercoaster or notious at all. So I highly recommend to try it somewhere first, before splashing money on a rig that will make it difficult to enjoy your game. The immersion is great though, but feels weird without the motion.

Thanks, good to know. I'd get VR for just this and GT Sport, and not sure it's worth the money yet.

I bought the original PSVR at almost fullprice 390EUR and it is collecting dust these past few months. I am planning to get Firewall zero hour, because I have a lot less motion sickness with FPS, but first need to finish, Zelda, Spiderman, Mario and Tomb raider.

I run it on VR, but on my PC. Just like a wheel, its one of those devices that I just cant turn back on. I suck at racing with a controller now, and I suck racing without VR now. Not sure hwat the PSVR HD is pushing as far as latency and FPS, but they both have to be high and stable to have a good VR experience. my first time trying pCars with the rift was bad. I had an old AMD GPU and was trying out karts. I was about to blow by the second lap. Dirt Rally does occasionally get me though.
Pocket, the reason you can do all the others, but have issue with VR is likely due to the fact that you see, but do not feel the motion. add in a little bit latency, where your actions on screen are delayed just a touch from your inputs, and that is the recipe for motion sickness in VR.
It also helps t acclimate yourself to VR. do a stint until you just start to feel dizzy, then rest for a few, then play again. eventually your gaming time before getting dizzy will grow. But, without motion, without filling in other senses, then you will always be slightly "disconnected" and thus, there will always be some amount of effect.

I run it on VR, but on my PC. Just like a wheel, its one of those devices that I just cant turn back on. I suck at racing with a controller now, and I suck racing without VR now. Not sure hwat the PSVR HD is pushing as far as latency and FPS, but they both have to be high and stable to have a good VR experience. my first time trying pCars with the rift was bad. I had an old AMD GPU and was trying out karts. I was about to blow by the second lap. Dirt Rally does occasionally get me though.
Pocket, the reason you can do all the others, but have issue with VR is likely due to the fact that you see, but do not feel the motion. add in a little bit latency, where your actions on screen are delayed just a touch from your inputs, and that is the recipe for motion sickness in VR.
It also helps t acclimate yourself to VR. do a stint until you just start to feel dizzy, then rest for a few, then play again. eventually your gaming time before getting dizzy will grow. But, without motion, without filling in other senses, then you will always be slightly "disconnected" and thus, there will always be some amount of effect.

Yeah I already concluded it is the motion as soon I got sick. I cant manage 1 complete stage, while with GTsport I can race a maximum of 2 laps. I think the PSVR runs at 60-120fps and I dont think that latency is an issue though.
I know it is probably something your brain can get used to, but the experience just isnt enjoyable. I dont have the time to acclimate so for now I use my TV. It is weird that some people have no issues at all.

Yeah I already concluded it is the motion as soon I got sick. I cant manage 1 complete stage, while with GTsport I can race a maximum of 2 laps. I think the PSVR runs at 60-120fps and I dont think that latency is an issue though.
I know it is probably something your brain can get used to, but the experience just isnt enjoyable. I dont have the time to acclimate so for now I use my TV. It is weird that some people have no issues at all.
Depends on the game for me. Race a flight sim take a while to get to me. FPS type games set me off fast enough. Trying something like minecraft VR, blah. I wish there were more city or colony building games in VR though. Rimworld and city skylines would be really good in VR where you can actually sit over the top of your city like a god

Depends on the game for me. Race a flight sim take a while to get to me. FPS type games set me off fast enough. Trying something like minecraft VR, blah. I wish there were more city or colony building games in VR though. Rimworld and city skylines would be really good in VR where you can actually sit over the top of your city like a god

I havent tried the PSVR remaster of Zone of the Enders yet, but that one seems cool as well. I used to play Mechwarrior on the PC and really wish they could bring that back. That is tailormade for VR.

G'day all, just got back into DR after picking up a PS Pro and PSVR. I had to mount the camera on a mic stand to isolate the vibrations from the ffb causing view to skip. First full weekly rally today. Wow, just amazing, Finland in rain was a wild ride but survived with a few rolls. Definitely more motion than with GTSport, felt a little queasy but worth it, like a roller coaster. I find driving all VR to be a massive improvement for my lines as it feels more to scale and you get that effect where you go to where you look. Fingers crossed for a DR2, with VR announcement.

So clearly Dirt Rally 2.0.

Wonder if the 2.0 hints at some throwback rallies and stages from the original 2.0. Hopefully the fantastic stage design from the first will come abck after dirt 4 left me cold with its generated and characterless stages. More RX content will always be welcome but rally still needs to be front and centre.

So I picked this back up yesterday and today. I have a few things to say.

1. Since figuring out that overdriving in a sim does more harm than good, I'm doing slightly better.

2. I'm gonna guess actually intelligent AI is more expensive to produce than the on/off + rubberbanding Codemasters has used in this, but I'd like it back so that I don't get stuck on the nose of an AI car because they don't stop for anything.

3. 🤬 the layout of Holjes Clubman circuit. I hate this course layout.

4. Double 🤬 the AI pathing on Holjes Clubman, especially how they're programmed to floor it into the joker with zero regard for anything else.
(Edit)
5. Who decided the best option wad to punish players who take early Joker laps with Superman AI?

6. Why does it seem like Dirt games at times endorse sandbagging? Slowest guy in my Semi races is almost always faster than the winner of the other Semi.

Last edited:
Back