DiRT Rally Thread

I know what you mean as it comes to simulation. But according to what you say dirt rally is crap compared to assetto corsa,
I don't think you will find that I said that at all.

but I have driven lots of cars on all kinds of surfaces in my life and dirt rally monte carlo stages is subjectively about hundred times closer than assetto to what I feel when driving IRL. If Dirt Rally 2 is even better, great. Assetto subjectively felt like 90 percent computer stuff and 10 percent believing I drive a car. Dirt Rally is like the opposite, 90 percent believe I am actually driving, 10 percent it is a pc/ console game.
If its an experience count you want I've twenty years plus in the Motor industry, have taught vehicle dynamics, run countless product launches and logged hours on track and proving grounds.

I still disagree that AC is artificial in feel or experience. For you visuals and audio makes for a more immersive experience and makes you feel like it's closer to reality. As I said that's perfectly fine, but these are factors that can be objectively measured, and in that regard AC (and a number of other titles are further ahead).

Anyway, here is another surprise video / for me at least/ how close Dirt Rally is to the real thing, I thought a rally driver would wiggle the steering wheel much more, but this driver steering input is basically like normal everyday driving. Probably the right way to control Fulvia.

Take a look at more videos, you will find it varies from driver to driver.

BTW nobody can disagree with what other people feel... you cannot disagree with my headache or excitement or boredom. Anyway, are there any leaderboards like I can compare my best stage times with the world?
I'm not disagreeing that you feel it's more realistic, however 'feel' is not a objective measure, and when looked at subjectively it's quite a different story.

I don't think you will find that I said that at all.

If its an experience count you want I've twenty years plus in the Motor industry, have taught vehicle dynamics, run countless product launches and logged hours on track and proving grounds.

I still disagree that AC is artificial in feel or experience. For you visuals and audio makes for a more immersive experience and makes you feel like it's closer to reality. As I said that's perfectly fine, but these are factors that can be objectively measured, and in that regard AC (and a number of other titles are further ahead).

Take a look at more videos, you will find it varies from driver to driver.

I'm not disagreeing that you feel it's more realistic, however 'feel' is not a objective measure, and when looked at subjectively it's quite a different story.

I respect your knowledge, no doubt about it. But objective is one thing and subjective is another thing. For example Microsoft Flight Simulator may simulate thousands of details of flying accurately or near accurately, yet it feels lifeless. There could be an arcady flight sim where the sensation or illusion of flying could be simulated much much better, without simulating thousands of details of flying an aircraft. So as for sensations, which are not objective, Assetto Corsa failed in my case. I am talking as a casual driver, not an expert, but even casual drivers are familiar with what they feel when they drive a powerful mercedes down a twisty road, or a small fiat panda down a twisty road, or on snow or ice. And just rally dirt surprised me how close it is to what I personally feel when I drive.

Scaff, since you are familiar with cars and technology, do you have an idea what the basic, stock rally cars in dirt rally are based on? Some of them seem to be upgraded even from their historic counterparts, others seem to match the historic counterparts and some of them have potential to match their historic counterparts. I have been looking for info on these cars specs and only found that the legendary Monte Carlo winning MiniCooper S had 91 HP at most, whereas in the game the stock Mini has already 100 HP. Fiat 131 Abarth rally historically seem to match the power output of the stock fiat in the game, so upgrading it would seem to extend the power it actually had when racing. On the other hand, Lancia Delta S4 had much more than 400 HP in real rally races, so this seems to be correctly simulated in the game where you can upgrade from the basic 400HP. So this seems pretty inconsistent, some stock cars already way more powerful than their historic counterparts, some just match and some, which should be the case, have potential to upgrade to their historic counterparts.

Having a ton of fun with Dirt 1.
Yesterday I did the Sweden Championship and go accustomed to the game.
Should I get Dirt 2 seeing is the newer game?

Fast over crest is looking for some semi-okay to good drivers to join out group. No pros please. We do weekly rallies, 12 stages. Next one starts on Friday. Send me a message. Thanks.

Came back to this instead of trying to stomach more Forza. I'm somewhat enjoying it better this time, but the off-screen rubberbanding is still a massive irritation. It's fine as a game, I just would like to get more enjoyment out of it.

IMO, no racing game has it all. It's always good to have variety. I play Horizon, MOtorsport, DR, PCARS and AC because they have all have some unique selling points and things that I enjoy.

Finally after 5 years I got to try DR. Predominantly I'm a circuit racer, and my last sim rally experience was with Richard Burns Rally way back in 2014 (vanilla version, no mods). With that as my point of comparison, honestly DR didn't disappoint. The sense of weight is good, handling is reasonable, FFB once you tweak it a bit and remove all the useless effects is much better than vanilla RBR. Engine sounds are legendary as usual for Codies. Graphics even on my outdated laptop still looks good too (unfortunately I get too many stutters with rallycross, so will be sticking to rally only). I tested a few cars and tracks and the RWD 70s cars are my favourites. So light and agile and you can really play with the throttle. Tarmac handling is a bit floaty though, no doubt the relic of the Ego engine but on dirt this is more acceptable. Difficulty is brutal, I have no problem keeping it on the road but I can only win at the second lowest difficulty so far :lol: As usual with rallying my brain needs a bit of time to adjust and listen to co-driver instead of relying solely on visual cues. I love the detailed video tutorials too and menu music ambient is top notch as usual from CM. You can tell they had a lot of passion for this project, unlike say Grid 2019.

My main complaint would be that the effects of weight transfer isn't as severe as in RBR. I have difficulty pitching the car sideways with just weight transfer alone and doing pendulum turns are harder than in RBR. Like I mentioned above the cars felt heavy, but somehow it feels like the suspensions are extra stiff and doesn't allow any pitch/roll. Also the handbrake is very weak for some reason. I use a button on my wheel (no shifter unfortunately) and it feels like you have to press it for more than 1 second before you get any effect. Does anyone know if the handbrake is digital or analog in this game?

Anyway, all things considered I can understand why DR achieves such cult status and some people even prefer it to DR2. I'm gonna take my sweet time learning this game, but as with rally games it's those first few hours that are the most authentic before you start learning the routes by heart. I don't think I'll bother with career mode, seeing as there's nothing to unlock except crew perks which doesn't affect custom races (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

^I'm no expert in being nitpicky about physics or car behavior, but one of my complaints about DR1 was the lack of weight feel, cars felt weightless in my opinion.
Dirt4 came and improved that a lot, maybe even adding too much weight which made cars a bit hard to slide around. This was the main complaint of the simracers.
Now DR2.0, gets it right in my opinion and feels much better than original DR1.
I urge you to try it

^I'm no expert in being nitpicky about physics or car behavior, but one of my complaints about DR1 was the lack of weight feel, cars felt weightless in my opinion.
Dirt4 came and improved that a lot, maybe even adding too much weight which made cars a bit hard to slide around. This was the main complaint of the simracers.
I urge you to try it
Especially on tarmac, dr1 was hard to feel the limit of grip, like in slower corners, to try oversteer it.
In dr2 it feels great to me. The road, the car.., on any surface.

I urge you to try it

I'm only using FFB strength 30% and it feels weighty enough for me. Certainly a lot more weighty than vanilla RBR. Of course if you compare it to circuit sims like AC/ACC it feels light, but rally cars do tend to feel lighter because of the lower grip and lower downforce. I had the fortunate experience of trying out a half day rally school a year ago and it's surprising how light the wheel feels. It's like you're skimming the dirt rather than actually gripping it like tarmac racing.

I've bought D4 and DR2 too, I just like playing games in sequential order so I can get a good sense of progression of the series. Problem is finding the time to actually play :lol:

Regarding stages, I just looked up in dirt wiki and it seems each locale only has 2 unique long stages. The rest are just reversed and halved variants. So that makes it 12 unique stages (13 if you include Pikes Peak). Compare that to vanilla RBR which has 24 unique stages. I knew this coming in but it's still such a downer.

Last edited:
So I just discovered that on PC, the wheel configuration resets itself everytime you restart the game, even after saving properly (both in wheel preset and main game save). The only workaround is you don't reassign the "Pause" button to anything on the wheel (default is Esc on keyboard). Very annoying and I can't believe this never got patched throughout the life of the game.

I'm playing DR atm, Pikes Peak is amazing. Such a great game I prefer it over the sequel. Currently playing a Masters championship with Colin's '95 Impreza, tied on points in first place with Germany & Finland to go. Then perhaps back to PP :)

I'm playing DR atm, Pikes Peak is amazing. Such a great game I prefer it over the sequel. Currently playing a Masters championship with Colin's '95 Impreza, tied on points in first place with Germany & Finland to go. Then perhaps back to PP :)

Yeah, was surprised to see you playing D1 Yesterday evening :cheers:

Yeah, was surprised to see you playing D1 Yesterday evening :cheers:

I'm so far behind most with my games, my back log stretches back to the DC :lol:

A good thing & bad thing about Rally games is your never really done with them, so many different cars to try & experience, feels wrong to me to drop the older games just because new ones come out :)

Last edited:
PSA For anyone not aware, Dirt Rally 1 and Dirt 4 servers go offline forever on 3 October and they are also removed from EA Play and Game Pass.

@PJTierney are you able to obtain confirmation whether these games are being delisted on that date or sometime soon? Thanks 👍

Last edited:
PSA For anyone not aware, Dirt Rally 1 and Dirt 4 servers go offline forever on 3 October and they are also removed from EA Play and Game Pass.

@PJTierney are you able to obtain confirmation whether these games are being delisted on that date or sometime soon? Thanks 👍
  • The games are getting delisted from stores, removed from Game Pass etc.

• I still need to 100% confirm this, but I believe the online server connectivity will still be available for the forseeable future.

Also DiRT Rally 2.0 is totally fine and awesome, you should all go play that :P

Last edited:
  • The games are getting delisted from stores, removed from Game Pass etc.

• I still need to 100% confirm this, but I believe the online server connectivity will still be available for the forseeable future.

Also DiRT Rally 2.0 is totally fine and awesome, you should all go play that :P
EA Site seems to disagree with the last part? 🤔

Well, not the last last part, but the previous last part, the bit about online connectivity.

Back