disappointed with gt5p???

• Thread starter bevo
  • 168 comments
It's nearly impossible to try and give and honest opinion with both positive and negatives on internet forums without someone taking a shot at you. :(

I wasn't trying to take a shot at you, I was just stating my "honest opinion". Sorry if it was taking the wrong way. I enjoyed reading you post, very long and thought out. :)

And does anyone know if the graphics during a replay are actually any better than gameplay, or is it just the camera angles that make it look so.

I can see what these guys are saying, but I guess it comes down to expectations. I had GT2 and GT3, but not GT4, so to me, GT5P is fantastic.

I've only got the Japanese version, and have been playing since December, and honestly the disc hasn't been out of the PS3 once since then!

Only one thing is beginning to annoy me:

- Penalties - especially on S7 at Fuji

Other than this, I cannot stop playing. I've golded everything except M3 at Eiger and the F40 one lap race, but I'm having more fun tuning cars like the XK or the Aston Martin, and trying to get better lap times etc.

I've also got the F1, which makes for a great alternative to racing the standard cars.

I wasn't trying to take a shot at you, I was just stating my "honest opinion". Sorry if it was taking the wrong way. I enjoyed reading you post, very long and thought out. :)

And does anyone know if the graphics during a replay are actually any better than gameplay, or is it just the camera angles that make it look so.

Thanks. No problem. No big deal. :)

Most of the complaining seen around the internet is just hopeless. People want to complain. Now they have something to complain about and they'll surely whine as much as they want to. The same people just don't realize what they are complaining about, they're basically comparing a pile of ore to an ocean liner. Expectations are way too high for some reason.

If anyone remembers what GT4 Prologue was and what the final GT4 became, pretty much the only thing that remained the same was the graphics engine. Did GT4P have tuning? Race series? A possibility to buy cars? Oil changes? A possibility to buy wheels and wings? Just about anything except licence tests, free run and a few arcade races? No.

Did the final GT4 have all that and a ton of other content? Yes. By common sense, so will GT5. It's too early to judge GT5, if only that was understood GT5P would be seen in a bit different light.

Not disappointed in any way - Quite surprised, in a good way actually. Just a thing as PD fixing the Elises online superiority as fast as they did !..

👍 all the way to PD for a job well done !...

Dammit! I just went to the scoreboards to look at some of my times. I found a car I drove (GTR) and then tried to find a track I remember driving it on. I couldn't find any times... Then I realized I don't have any times, because the scoreboards are only for "Time Trials and Drift Trials"! None of the career mode races or online races get recorded... Man, PD really needs to fix the scoreboards.

They need to record times for all races, add in some kind of class system instead of making you look at a single car only and allow you to filter by your PSN friends and list more than the top 100 scores. Without that it's almost impossible to have a friendly competition for times without taking screen shots and emailing to your friends. Yuck! These scoreboards are nearly worthless except for a very few drivers (top 100 in the world) the way they are setup now. Finding anyone's time is like finding a needle in a haystack. Crap!

Dazzla, I mentioned that I hoped some of this would get fixed in a patch or by GT 5. Having said that, a lot of the missing features were in Forza 1 4 years ago or Toca... I'm just really surprised that Prologue is still such a work in progress at this late date.

Prologue is a terrific game at what it does and PD is ahead in some areas over the competition, but really far behind in others. They won't bother to catch up if they think we're fine without these features.

I'm enjoying Prologue, but I want 2 if not 3 (come on GTR port!) racing sims to play. I'd be happy with 1 great racing sim per year. I'm burned out for the time being on Forza 2 and want something fresh. I play many FPS's, so why not racing sims? I'd enjoy all the console racing sims to be better. GT 4 was released in 2004, so PD has had a ton of time to implement basic online features. Tons of games already have these basic features on both the 360 and the PS3. Look at Resistance. It was a launch game for the PS3 and it had excellent online support.

I know it's a demo/beta or whatever, but still personally I'm not surprised at a smaller amount of cars or tracks, but I am surprised by the lack of so many very basic features.
I know what you mean and this is my main issue too. A lot of things that make online better such as private rooms and other options were in Forza 1 and maybe even PGR2 (i don't remember too well anymore).

I did not expect Prologue to feature proper qualifying or pit stops or online ranking and online car balancing by performance index (things that Forza 2 could improve on), but I did expect to have basic features that should be expected from really any online racing game, and also catch up is just ridiculous..

They need to record times for all races, add in some kind of class system instead of making you look at a single car only and allow you to filter by your PSN friends and list more than the top 100 scores, so you kind friendly competition. These scoreboards are nearly worthless except for a very few drivers the way they are setup now. It's like finding a needle in a haystack. Crap!

I think this is one major thing that will get improvement once the fall community update arrives...

i haven't beat everything yet. i have one or two races left in the a class, but really, they are very easy. maybe i shouldn't say very east maybe just pretty easy. i have had to restart 3 or 4 races so far before i got gold.
Are you complaining about it being easy because you have basically just beaten Prologue's version of the Sunday Cup and Clubman Cup? Because yeah, they were always easy.

Now if you get into the S-Class and find that too easy then it may be a case of you just being too good and I fear running into you online.

As AI goes, I would have to say it is a mixed bag for me. I have had some cases where they behaved in much more realistic ways than I expected and then other cases where I found myself in a wall because they weren't recognizing that I passed them on the inside.

They're rules that've worked well for over 100,000 members throughout almost a decade of this site being active now, and they're not going to be changed to suit you.
Not to mention the English language in general for generations.

Having said that, a lot of the missing features were in Forza 1 4 years ago or Toca... I'm just really surprised that Prologue is still such a work in progress at this late date.

Prologue is a terrific game at what it does and PD is ahead in some areas over the competition, but really far behind in others. They won't bother to catch up if they think we're fine without these features.
If I understood you correctly you said that this is your first GT game? I suggest checking out some of the full games and, while they don't have online, you will find they are a much, much more in-depth games than Prologue is. I mean even the events in Prologue are laid out completely different than the full game career/simulation modes.

Some of the general gaming things you find missing are things that those of us who have followed this closely were aware would not be in this game and did not expect to see, but we do expect to see them in the full game, because they have been there before. And as they are constantly doing free updates for this it is plausible we will get some of them before the full game comes out. They have said that many of the online issues will be addressed. And some cases, like the Lotus pp issue, have been addressed.

If you are looking to compare it to other fully featured racing sims then you will be disappointed. That is not what this game is and was never advertised as such.

One thing you need to understand about Kazunori Yamauchi is that he wants everything to be just right. So, he will not just throw a full-featured online system together and toss it out there and then try to debug 100 issues at once. He, and PD, are doing it a bit at a time in hopes of getting each part perfect as they go.

I hoped for a much more feature rich online, but after reading what members here said about the JPN and EU versions I knew what to expect. And upon realizing what PD were doing with this my first thought was, "This sounds just like the way Kazunori Yamauchi would do it."

It is very similar to how they modeled the cars. They didn't just take a few car pictures and then create a similar looking graphic. No, they went as detailed as having the manufacturer send them a headlight so they could take it apart and get it just right. The same thing for tracks. They don't just mimic the image. They took hundreds of pictures and videos of each area and even got so detailed as to measure the lines so that each track has each detail the way it is supposed to be.

I don't know if you have the US version on Blu-Ray, but if you do watch Beyond the Apex. None of it is done at once. You will notice in the background of their studios that they have hundreds of individual car parts laying around, because they design the small parts and bring them together as a masterpiece of a whole.

So, while I agree the current online system is lacking in many, many areas this is how PD works and in the end I suspect it will a much better product as a whole than if they had just given us everything right now and then tried to fix the bugs.

This is how it is supposed to work:

In-game: 60fps 1080p
Replay: 30fps 1080p

Being 30fps replays may look better because they are having less issues AA or something.

If I understood you correctly you said that this is your first GT game? I suggest checking out some of the full games and, while they don't have online, you will find they are a much, much more in-depth games than Prologue is. I mean even the events in Prologue are laid out completely different than the full game career/simulation modes.

Some of the general gaming things you find missing are things that those of us who have followed this closely were aware would not be in this game and did not expect to see, but we do expect to see them in the full game, because they have been there before. And as they are constantly doing free updates for this it is plausible we will get some of them before the full game comes out. They have said that many of the online issues will be addressed. And some cases, like the Lotus pp issue, have been addressed.

If you are looking to compare it to other fully featured racing sims then you will be disappointed. That is not what this game is and was never advertised as such.

One thing you need to understand about Kazunori Yamauchi is that he wants everything to be just right. So, he will not just throw a full-featured online system together and toss it out there and then try to debug 100 issues at once. He, and PD, are doing it a bit at a time in hopes of getting each part perfect as they go.

I hoped for a much more feature rich online, but after reading what members here said about the JPN and EU versions I knew what to expect. And upon realizing what PD were doing with this my first thought was, "This sounds just like the way Kazunori Yamauchi would do it."

It is very similar to how they modeled the cars. They didn't just take a few car pictures and then create a similar looking graphic. No, they went as detailed as having the manufacturer send them a headlight so they could take it apart and get it just right. The same thing for tracks. They don't just mimic the image. They took hundreds of pictures and videos of each area and even got so detailed as to measure the lines so that each track has each detail the way it is supposed to be.

I don't know if you have the US version on Blu-Ray, but if you do watch Beyond the Apex. None of it is done at once. You will notice in the background of their studios that they have hundreds of individual car parts laying around, because they design the small parts and bring them together as a masterpiece of a whole.

So, while I agree the current online system is lacking in many, many areas this is how PD works and in the end I suspect it will a much better product as a whole than if they had just given us everything right now and then tried to fix the bugs.

Thanks. I'm still having fun, but even though it's not a complete game it is $40 PD has promoted a 16 player online experience. I just didn't expect the online experience and scoreboards to be so bare bones.

I've seen tons of demos in the last couple of years with significantly more robust online experiences. This is probably Sony's biggest franchise and the last version (GT 4) was released in 2004, so they've had tons of time to work on the basics. I'm concerned too much focus is on car models and not enough on the blocking and tackling of an online experience.

There must be 50 games by other PS3 developers, which have voice chat on the PS3 for instance. Some are even demos. I just expected more from such a big franchise, especially because they're charging $40. Even demos often have a better online. I had a better online experience with the Moto GP demo (chat, lobbies and leaderboards) on the original Xbox disc 6 years ago.

Anyway, I'm still having fun, but I think PD needs to program a bit faster (or shift their focus a bit) or the August 2009 date for GT 5 may slip or heaven forbid ship with a crappy online system.

To all.

For those who have not played a GT game before GT5 Prologue (just like GT4P) it is NOT the way to judge a GT against a Forza or TOCA.

The GT series has never been just about being a racing sim or driving sim. It is a very good one in both respects, but probably not the best at either. The series has always drawn criticism for various reasons, AI, no damage, no online, etc. What GT is, and always has been, is an expression of one man's love for the automobile. It has been embraced by millions of people around the world who hold the automobile in the same high regards. It is about the history and the future of the automobile industry. It has gone beyond just being a videogame and has actually become part of the present auto industry.

If you look at it as merely another racing game you may well be disappointed. But if you truly love cars and their place in history there is nothing else like Gran Turismo.

To all.

For those who have not played a GT game before GT5 Prologue (just like GT4P) it is NOT the way to judge a GT against a Forza or TOCA.

The GT series has never been just about being a racing sim or driving sim. It is a very good one in both respects, but probably not the best at either. The series has always drawn criticism for various reasons, AI, no damage, no online, etc. What GT is, and always has been, is an expression of one man's love for the automobile. It has been embraced by millions of people around the world who hold the automobile in the same high regards. It is about the history and the future of the automobile industry. It has gone beyond just being a videogame and has actually become part of the present auto industry.

If you look at it as merely another racing game you may well be disappointed. But if you truly love cars and their place in history there is nothing else like Gran Turismo.

Thanks and that does put it in a different perspective. I'm absolutely in love with the demo thing. I've been leaving it running while doing other things and it's fantastic. The music, the showcasing of the cars, the little historical bits. And the detail in the car models is fantastic. The interiors and the rear seats/windows etc. Outstanding!

I just wish Prologue had more focus on the racing/competing aspect. I hadn't played any other GT game, so maybe I was just expecting the wrong thing.

Thanks. I'm still having fun, but even though it's not a complete game it is $40 PD has promoted a 16 player online experience. I just didn't expect the online experience and scoreboards to be so bare bones.

I've seen tons of demos in the last couple of years with significantly more robust online experiences. This is probably Sony's biggest franchise and the last version (GT 4) was released in 2004, so they've had tons of time to work on the basics. I'm concerned too much focus is on car models and not enough on the blocking and tackling of an online experience.

There must be 50 games by other PS3 developers, which have voice chat on the PS3 for instance. Some are even demos. I just expected more from such a big franchise, especially because they're charging $40. Even demos often have a better online. I had a better online experience with the Moto GP demo (chat, lobbies and leaderboards) on the original Xbox disc 6 years ago.
No one can argue that the online needs more to it, but they have said that is coming. So, I trust it will be much better. But I do agree, after doing Warhawk and some other online games this compares poorly. At the same time, many of those games spend a ton of time patching five things at once. I'm hoping the way PD is doing this will present us with a much more satisfactory product in the end.

but I think PD needs to program a bit faster
If Sony can't make them do it I doubt anything can.

And remember one thing: No matter how the full game looks or how much content it contains it is not good enough for Kazunori Yamauchi. In Beyond the Apex he says that GT5 will only be 10%-15% of his full vision.

👍

I'd say compared to GT4p, GT5p is light years beyond that.

The thing everyone needs to remember is that unlike days before with GT4p or GT4 the game you buy on the disc is not it. I would expect PD to issues updates to add functionality to online racing and the game in general. Especially if GT5 is a Q4 release at the earliest.

As for what came on the disc, I'm disappointed in one thing only. There is no Nurburgring Nordschleife or Porsches. I miss that the most.

I do find the same old driving tests, especially the pass all the cars in 1 lap ones tiresome.

Online racing is fun as it's built. THe problem is the people that think anything goes. I expect PD to issue an update to give some private race areas or some such thing where you can race online with people you trust and know (like the GTP registry).

Otherwise, as a prologue...this one is light years ahead of GT4p. It's not perfect, but it's not a huge disappointment either. It's especially good at 1080p on a 32" 16:9 Sharp Aquas....

It's the feeling,... Like ferrari F40 on suzuka, played inside car with all aids off and pro physics. Naturally adjusted big screen and audio setup. It just gives a feeling that's so unreal for a console game, so good. I dig it - a lot. Hopefully many more people do as well.

I rather see this game now and coming in small parts than waiting for whole another year to try it out. So PD, thanx for all the effort so far I hope it doesn't go unappreciated. Please give us more in future and please listen to the complaints of people and address the real ones in final game.

@ bevo: It would appear that your "shift" key is broken. :sly:
Please fix it, so that you can separate your posts into defined sentences with a capital letter at the beginning of each, and each time you use "I".

Thanks.

The same also goes for you myke6699.

Seriously.
Improve or be officially warned, it's your choice.
Consult AUP right at the bottom of this screen for more details.

Made me laugh, how sad and petty moaning about the grammar. Edited by mod

I know one person who does. He's named Smallhorses as you already know and he happens to be a super moderator. As a wild guess I'd say you're going to be told about dodging the swear filter.

As I've said before on this forum, as soon as you guys learn to read badly written slang Finnish I'm cool with you writing English that way. Until then you have to understand that English is not the native language for all of us and it's necessary to write it properly so we don't have to guess the meanings of sentences.

I know one person who does. He's named Smallhorses as you already know and he happens to be a super moderator.

As I've said before on this forum, as soon as you guys learn to read badly written slang Finnish I'm cool with you writing English that way. Until then you have to understand that English is not the native language for all of us and it's necessary to write it properly so we don't have to guess the meanings of sentences.
I agree with you about the english not being everyones native language but they shouldnt care so much about our grammer seeing as english is my 2nd language and I dont really have much grammer skills nore can I spell very good :dopey: they should just lightin up a tad.... <<< those where the only periods I used haha and I didnt even use them right :scared:

I agree with you about the english not being everyones native language but they shouldnt care so much about our grammer seeing as english is my 2nd language and I dont really have much grammer skills nore can I spell very good :dopey: they should just lightin up a tad.... <<< those where the only periods I used haha and I didnt even use them right :scared:
The rules of the site say to use English to the best of your ability. It allows for mistakes from people who do not speak English natively.

And that would be considered an ellipse when done like that (although technically an ellipse is just three periods...), not a period. Ellipses are used to denote when a person trails off mid-sentence.

Sorry, it's part of my job. I actually have an AP Style book on my desk.

I really like prologue.

Nice selection of motors to fiddle with, the physics engine, whilst having some unusual quirks is a step up from previous GT's and better than the majority of console racers. I'm not going to say its better or worse than ISI, papyrus, LFS or netKar engines. The topic would continue forever and the only conclusion would be that there is no best physics engine.

Its pretty, way more pretty than anything on the pc, the lighting effects are stunning at times and the attention to detail has to be commended.

Online does what its meant to. It allows people to race together, but more importantly PD now have access to a huge source of information. What cars do we like to drive, which tracks are our most popular. What do we tweak, what are the range of abilities of drivers via measurement of lap times?
Essentially its provided a sandbox which PD can now build in.

Most importantly, its fun. It has kept me entertained for a good number of nights now and I'm sure it will continue to do so for quite some time as I continue to explore and compare.

As long as PD continue to stay open to feedback from the playerbase, they have a solid foundation to craft GT5 into something very special

I really like prologue.

Nice selection of motors to fiddle with, the physics engine, whilst having some unusual quirks is a step up from previous GT's and better than the majority of console racers. I'm not going to say its better or worse than ISI, papyrus, LFS or netKar engines. The topic would continue forever and the only conclusion would be that there is no best physics engine.

Its pretty, way more pretty than anything on the pc, the lighting effects are stunning at times and the attention to detail has to be commended.

Online does what its meant to. It allows people to race together, but more importantly PD now have access to a huge source of information. What cars do we like to drive, which tracks are our most popular. What do we tweak, what are the range of abilities of drivers via measurement of lap times?
Essentially its provided a sandbox which PD can now build in.

Most importantly, its fun. It has kept me entertained for a good number of nights now and I'm sure it will continue to do so for quite some time as I continue to explore and compare.

As long as PD continue to stay open to feedback from the playerbase, they have a solid foundation to craft GT5 into something very special

Well said sir...

Am I disappointed with GT5P? Well I actually love it.
I am Having more fun with it then GTR2 :)

Only thing I really dislike are the Hard S missions :( but nothing can be that easy in life.

gt5p is really fun i cants seem to stop playing it although they really should of put an option for a buddies list and privite servers :) im sure if you came online right now though and went to intermedete events and went to the one that alows the bmw m3 you could race with me cuz theres no one on that one :P

i thought it would be more in the league of F1challenge, rfactor etc for the pc but unfortunately it's not, however whenever I play it i'm there for hours, so thumbs up from me ;)

I'm not at all disappointed with GT5:P, its better than I hoped it would be (considering GT:HD). I know that GT5 will be MUCH better than this and I hope that PD and Sony use this game as a stepping stone onto the things they plan to implement for GT5.

I think that Gran Turismo is a victim of its own success too. Just because some previous games have has a conglomerate of cars and tracks, its taken as given that every Gran Turismo should be like this. I personally think that the game in general is a complete experience. Its obviously not in the same league as GT4 (in regards to its features), but compared to other racers its superb - end of!

Great game PD and Sony, now get GT5 perfecto! 👍

I'm not disappointed. Same here, I CANNOT stop playing it, I only do online event.
For the hours of entertainement I get from this game (I don't like calling it a demo), it's well worth the money. I too bought a G25 especially for this game, and it's a must have.

I am sort of disappointed in some areas of the game but in others I am extremely happy.

I found the lack of ways to get credits to be frustrating, I want the F1 car but I don't have the attention span to sit down and lap one of six tracks for hours trying to get 2,000,000 credits. That is what Forza made you do and it annoyed me quite a bit, I hate having to repeat races over and over again, it gets old pretty quick.

I found the lack of tuning to be annoying, I know you get it once you pass the A section but there are some races I feel gold is out of my reach in just the stock car form. I would like to mess with the suspension a bit.

I knew it was going to be short going in and that I wouldn't really play online to much because I am not the best driver in the world. I don't fault the game for something I was expecting.

The thing I love though is the improved physics, they are sooooo much better then when I played through GTHD. They also feel way more realistic then GT4 ever did. I also enjoy the in car view, I think PD did a great job with it and I am very impressed! The sound in the car is also something that had improved, although when I use chase cam I can barely hear it.

All in all I would give the game 7/10 and I know future updates could change things around a bit.

As a wild guess I'd say you're going to be told about dodging the swear filter.
Good guess. 👍

To everyone else. The AUP is there for a reason. Please abide by it, or feel free to leave if you do not agree with it.

II found the lack of ways to get credits to be frustrating, I want the F1 car but I don't have the attention span to sit down and lap one of six tracks for hours trying to get 2,000,000 credits. That is what Forza made you do and it annoyed me quite a bit, I hate having to repeat races over and over again, it gets old pretty quick.
I know you say you don't intend to do online a lot but the prizes in online are decently sized, and you get some even when you don't win.

I found the lack of tuning to be annoying, I know you get it once you pass the A section but there are some races I feel gold is out of my reach in just the stock car form. I would like to mess with the suspension a bit.
There are some races that multiple people have had to switch to standard physics to win.

Plus, if you can remap your onboard telemetry adjustments you can adjust a handful of things, most notably turning ABS off and adjusting brake balance.

I knew it was going to be short going in and that I wouldn't really play online to much because I am not the best driver in the world. I don't fault the game for something I was expecting.
As you are registerd on the GTP PSN list I hope to at least see you in some GTP races when we are able to arrange them.

I also enjoy the in car view, I think PD did a great job with it and I am very impressed! The sound in the car is also something that had improved, although when I use chase cam I can barely hear it.
Tell me you did what I did and bought your own car (Mini for you MkV Golf for me) first thing and immediately checked out how accurate the interior was.

Or am I the only one that in love with my car?

I know you say you don't intend to do online a lot but the prizes in online are decently sized, and you get some even when you don't win.

Ok, I didn't know that. Good to know though, I might have to give it a go then and see how I stack up against others.

There are some races that multiple people have had to switch to standard physics to win.

Plus, if you can remap your onboard telemetry adjustments you can adjust a handful of things, most notably turning ABS off and adjusting brake balance.

That isn't really the tuning I'm talking about, I want to mess with gearing and suspension setting (I could careless about horsepower).

As you are registerd on the GTP PSN list I hope to at least see you in some GTP races when we are able to arrange them.

I will be racing in events sponsored by the forum, I'm just not big on going online for multiplayer much if I don't somewhat know who I'm racing.

Tell me you did what I did and bought your own car (Mini for you MkV Golf for me) first thing and immediately checked out how accurate the interior was.

Or am I the only one that in love with my car?

My starting car was the MINI Cooper S :D! Although it is the older model I have driven the S version of it so it was nothing strange. This is where my impression set in. It looks just like a MINI, for the most part sounds like it (the exhaust didn't gurgle like the real one does), and most importantly drives like one. I had to set a slight bit of traction control though since that is how the car really works. I really hope they put an R56 MINI in the full game so I can see how my real car stacks up against a simulated one.

Back