disappointed with gt5p???

• Thread starter bevo
  • 168 comments
i am not dissappointed overall. But the thing that really annoyes me is that driving the cars feels like they are on rails. There is no bumpung and jerking! The ride is way to smooth!

i am not dissappointed overall. But the thing that really annoyes me is that driving the cars feels like they are on rails. There is no bumpung and jerking! The ride is way to smooth!

Drive on the Daytona oval course, you can see the car bouncing up and down quite a bit. I am really glad PD finally fixed this since it is one that that while I was playing Forza that annoyed me to no end. I haven't really noticed it much on other courses but most of the time I'm actually intent on driving where as on the oval you get in front and do the same boring laps for a few minutes.

Try driving through the chicane on the backstretch of daytona road. In the Ford GT Spec II Test car this chicane is extremely bumpy and requires you to hold the wheel very very steady. Even the high banks of Daytona are very bumpy. Tracks like Fuji / HSR / Suzuka don't have many bumps because that's just how they are. Daytona hasn't been repaved in ages so it is extremely bumpy/jerky

Sometimes I wonder if drivers using a SIXAXIS are at an advantage through Daytona's chicane and other bumpy areas because they do not have to deal with the bumps shaking their wheel

I'm new to the GT series, so rather than say, "I'm disappointed" I'd describe it more as "stunned". I bought a PS3 specifically for Prologue (and Blu-Ray...) and was just expecting more. I guess my expectations come from playing about 200 hours each of Forza 1 and 2 and just hearing all the buzz about the GT series for so long.

I have a Playseat, Buttkicker, 50" Panasonic Plasma and top of the line Onkyo THX sound, so I was pretty excited to get Prologue while waiting for GT:5 and Forza 3, since I burned out on Forza 2 after many months and wanted to try something new. I especially want to try the G25. The Microsoft wheel was OK, but not up the the G25's level.

The things, that didn't disappoint were the demo (it adds some really nice atmosphere, great visuals and music). The demo makes the cars look sexy sitting in driveways, fields etc. Forza didn't have anything like it. It really adds style and atmosphere. The replays are really good (don't watch much, but I see them on the demo) and the support of the G25, which I've decided I need to buy. I'm playing with a controller until my G25 arrives, so I can't say for sure, but the physics seem ok so far.

I've heard a lot of negative about the AI, but it seems fine to me. I spent 99% of my time online with the Forza series, so I'm not the best AI judge, but it seems ok. Drivers do make errors and try to pass inside and outside. Forza's AI didn't seem much better. The graphics aren't quite as impressive as I was expecting, but they are pretty good and better than Forza's by a bit. I was really surprised, that I'm enjoying the heck out of the in car view. I love watching the drivers hands move on the wheel! Hope Forza 3 has that feature.

This is what has me stunned though.

1. Leaderboards - Forza 2 has class leaderboards with up 400,000 people ranked per class per track. You can filter by friends, car, driver aids etc. Prologue has the top 100 by car by track. That's it unless you want to see the top 100 in the world per track. Yikes, I can't compete with my friends unless we're in the top 100. Plus, we have to be driving the exact same car. Stunned this is so bad.

2. Online - No voice chat. No North America vs Europe (I have friends in Europe). No public or private hosted rooms. No way to find friends. Who you race is completely anonymous and random without even voice. Very bizarre and solitary. No host room options to turn off ABS, TCS, STM, set laps, kick players. And the short races with long single file rolling starts... sigh. People in the back are screwed. Lastly, the boost issue of whatever you want to call it is embarrassing. I hope PD doesn't really think online players are that stupid not to notice. Maybe they are, I can't talk to them to verify on my own.

3. Quick Tune system - Most of it is ok, but picking your horsepower and car weight is very arcade like. I know some people didn't like Forza's thousands or part swapping options, but most did, including me. It just seems so bare bones and goofy to pick your horsepower. "ummm Mr. Mechanic, I'd like and extra 23 horsepower... wait, no make it 26 no on second thought how about 356..". Oh, well. I also miss the all the stats, charts, graphs, tire temp stuff for gear heads, but I can live without it in Prologue. I'd like to see more depth in GT 5 though.

4. No ghost mode online - I figured bumper cars could at a minimum be solved by using the ghost option, but there isn't any. Very disappointed.

5. Only 3 quick tunes per car. I had one or more per track in Forza 2 (could add up to 30 or so, especially during testing), so this is pretty basic.

I didn't expect the performance points system would be perfected yet, so it's understandable there are Lotus Elise type problems with Prologue. PD is interested in patching, so maybe they can fix that a bit. The penalty points system and bumper car physics just invite problems online, but a ghost mode could have fixed it but alas, there isn't a ghost mode... As it stands I'm really disappointed in online. Hoping the next patch improves our situation.

I knew it wouldn't have car painting, tournaments (those didn't work out very well for most in Forza 2 anyway) and website integration, so it wasn't unexpected. I'd like to see all of that and clans for GT5, but I don't need it to have fun with Prologue (just fix the damn scoreboards!).

Having said all that, I'm still having fun and don't regret my purchase, but I'm hooked with racing sims, so I'm not the best judge of value. I'm still hoping PD steps up for GT 5. I don't need another 630 cars (I know most here do...), but I need usable game features. After seeing how bare bones Prologue is, I'm a bit worried. It seems PD doesn't really want to add the depth found in Forza 2. They are sooo focused on car models and tracks. I expect Forza 3 to add even more like Car Clubs, weather etc. I hope PD catches up, because I want both franchises to keep one upping each other.

Thank you for expressing pretty much exactly how I feel about the game. While I do enjoy it, I'm disappointed by everything that should be standard, but is missing. I'm really hoping they step it up for the "real" game.

I've seen $40 retail games, so some would say once you hit $40 it's a game.

My take is this is our opportunity to tell PD what we want in GT 5, so it makes tons of sense to compare to existing racing titles and tell PD what we want. What better chance do we have than right now?

Pretending that Prologue is perfect and that PD will magically just figure out what features are most important to us is a poor strategy on our part. Comparing to other games strengthens our argument for more features, because the bar has already been set that high by other games. We're challenging PD to do better.

I want the best GT 5 possible. I hope PD reads these forums. If they think all we need are private rooms, maybe that's all we get... :grumpy: Constructive criticism is helpful. That's what I'm trying to do.

Very well said. I too hope PD people are browsing this forum. Honestly, @ 40 bucks plus shipping, I feel cheated by PD.

3 or 5 lap races?? C'mon now, we deserved better. Graphics are truly impressive but don't warrant 40 bucks for a not-so-well thought out racing game/experience.

I tried online play but got sick with all the kids out there bumping and shoving. I'll wait for my chance to create my lounge and invite friends and cool racers.

..end of rant. Will update later.

Easy by no means only if u make it easy for exsample: Standard phycis and aids on...

I have everything on the hardest setting with a DS2 but had to use standard phycis for some challenges...

I have collected 70 cars and 39 golds but alot of blood sweat and tears i must say, still 1 gold to go which is the

(BMW M3 Coupe at Eiger Nordwand Reverse) and still to buy the F2007...

So it is what u make it and remember it is only a prologue, the full release aint proberly for another year yet.

But granted online could be alittle better, like penalties and noobs crashin in to you and blocking, maybe have the cars more stable like AI to stop ramming's off the track would help?

but no way disapointed i love it 95%

If there is one thing I want to see improved though, is the physics engine (or whatever do I have to call it) off track. If you come onto the grass or in the sandpit, it seems that the car is skidding on ice, sort off. Isn't it the purpose of a sand pit to slow down the car? And if you want to drive off the grass, and you push down the throttle, there is no wheel spin, instead, the engine is holding back.

If PD should read this, please do something about that.

Yeah, this kind of shocked me too. If anything the car should be sluggish in the sand/gravel and spinning tires in the grass.

Although, it could be done this way to prevent people from just bogging their car down in the gravel and ending their race right there. But when damage is implemented it needs to be stepped up a bit so going off in gravel doesn't mean slamming into a wall.

PD didn't bite off to much though, KY will put out the game when he thinks it is finished. From all the interviews I've seen and the "Behind the Apex" clip on Prologue I gather this is more of an art project for him then a game.
I think it always has been for him.

From a business perspective, and a gaming perspective, the development time is unacceptable.
This won't even be close to some of the worst. Duke Nukem is unacceptable, yet fans still jump at every little tease that shows up.

I don't know, but the end of 2009 seems like a bit too far off. I am assuming that Forza 3 would be out by then. Is it reasonable to expect more DLC over the next few months? Adding more cars & tracks would be nice - damage might be too much to hope for.

Nobody has commented on my criticism of the GT game-play structure. Is that because everyone accepts that there is no alternative possible? I remember when I started playing Forza 1, I found the majority of the races fairly interesting, but when I tackled GT4 (I had not played previous versions of GT), I found a lot of the "races", "missions", & of course the dreaded "license tests" dauntingly tedious. It's one thing to have to set a time trial lap time on the Nurburgring - challenging, but enjoyable - it's another thing to have to run the same $#%^&^! two corners over & over & over again to get them "just right". As in GT4, it seems that some of the races in GT5P are pointlessly easy, while others are insanely hard, requiring not "good driving", but endless repetition & a tendency to obsessive compulsive disorder. :dopey:
I can guarantee you that those license test and missions, no matter how tedious and no matter how hard you have to push it, make you a better driver in the game overall.

The same goes for GT5P. While I would prefer less missions I find that by the time I do beat it that I am very good at handling a car that was being extremely tricky when I started.

What really piss me off in this game?
- no changing weather conditions
KY has mentioned this may be coming.

- no tyres traces on the track in real time (as well as in sand area outside the track)
What is it with people and this? On my list of wants this is dead last.

- after finishing off all classes it's getting pretty boring
Have you tried Arcade, maybe Online? Did you beat all the dealership events?

- silly, absolutely unacceptable, penalty system (is this a real driving simulator with disappearing, blinking cars???)
Penalty system and ghosting are two completely different things. I agree the penalty system needs work, but I know the ghosting has prevented someone online from ruining my race on a couple of occasions.

- you can get only sport tyres in time trial mode
Yep, and you know no one else has beaten your time just because they had better grip.

- track in London is pretty dark and short, nothing really special except buildings around and all infrastructure, much better i've seen in Project Gotham Racing 4.
I laughed a bit at this. For one, PGR4? Really? But I love the London track. Then again I like a realistic street race in real-life racing too.

- ok, we've got 70 cars in total, but there are still some famous vehicles missing, like McLaren, Koenisegg, Lamborghini (instead of Daihatsu, Suzuki they supposed to put these in)
Racing and driving is about more that OMG POWAH!!!!!!! I like racing the slower cars. That is when it becomes less about the machine and much more about the driver. They gave balance to make everyone happy.

- menu is very slow
I didn't notice.

- replays running on 30fps
I can't comment on this as I still have an SDTV, so I can't see a difference.

- no damage at all, you can't even scratch your paint.
It is coming, as early as Autumn, in an update.

- 7 tracks is still not enough
It is what they advertised.

- online problems (updating game sometimes going horribly long)
Agreed.

Overall: 8/10
After that laundry list this is a decent score. About what I would give it.

:confused: Maybe try it with a wheel, then tell me how smooth it is.

Tracks like Fuji / HSR / Suzuka don't have many bumps because that's just how they are. Daytona hasn't been repaved in ages so it is extremely bumpy/jerky
Using my DFP and my FFB on 6 I still notice bumps on these tracks as well.

Overall im loving GT5P i have more hours on it than i could ever be bothered with GT4.

My one question i have to all GTP out there is what is with the traction control when you put all wheels on the grass or spin into the gravel.

I hadnt noticed this before this weekend, mainly because i was just doing the lower classes, but i really got down to some time trialing on Suzuka with the M3 last night,G25, all aids off in Pro mode, (managed to grab second in rankings, but am not happy with the lap yet), i was really pushing the limits, but when i went a little far, its really annoying to have your power cut that dramatically, as soon as you get on the green stuff.
I dont want to use the grass to cheat, i just dont like the way PD have implemented this. Its a dissapointment.
Anyone got any feed back on this issue?

I can guarantee you that those license test and missions, no matter how tedious and no matter how hard you have to push it, make you a better driver in the game overall.

Any driving practice will make you a better driver. Driving tests that focus on a single corner reduce the exercise to a few muscle-twitch responses that can be perfected by endless repetition. Tests like that may make some sense to a complete newcomer to driving, but they are tedious & pointless for an experienced driver. I have no objection to complete lap time trial tests, however (preferably on the Ring! :D)

Look, simply put, what I would like from GT5 is a series of races where you are matched against more or less equally performing cars with realistic AI, so that you can race bumper to bumper over a number of laps (more than 2,3 or 5), looking for an opening so that you can squeeze past fairly, all the while risking spinning out or serious damage from pushing too hard or "inappropriate" contact. I.E. real racing! 👍

(I'm not aware of any racing event IRL that requires a driver to overtake 15 other cars in one lap! :rolleyes:)

since this is just the Prologue, i am not dissappointed. graphics are top-notch and the feel of cars are a little better. I dont like the "standard" mode, so putting it in "professional" mode is much more fun. there are bits and pieces they need to fix, but im pretty sure GT5 will be awe-mazingly better than the prologue. this is a good feel to a better game.

Don't compare a demo to a full game.

Any driving practice will make you a better driver. Driving tests that focus on a single corner reduce the exercise to a few muscle-twitch responses that can be perfected by endless repetition. Tests like that may make some sense to a complete newcomer to driving, but they are tedious & pointless for an experienced driver. I have no objection to complete lap time trial tests, however (preferably on the Ring! :D)

Look, simply put, what I would like from GT5 is a series of races where you are matched against more or less equally performing cars with realistic AI, so that you can race bumper to bumper over a number of laps (more than 2,3 or 5), looking for an opening so that you can squeeze past fairly, all the while risking spinning out or serious damage from pushing too hard or "inappropriate" contact. I.E. real racing! 👍

(I'm not aware of any racing event IRL that requires a driver to overtake 15 other cars in one lap! :rolleyes:)

Very very well said. I'm on the Class A F430 overtake 16 cars in one lap races. Since this is my first GT game, the "bumper cars" comments I've seen over the years are really starting to have some meaning. I just want to get through C class, so I can tune cars and then run Time Trials and custom AI races. Most of these "missions" are a chore. I'd really like to spend my time online, but I've heard so many horror stories, I'm not optimisic until a patch comes out.

It's absolutely ridiculous to have these overtake 15 cars races. It just breeds idiot drivers. It's almost like PD has trained a legion of drivers to take insane chances and/or bash the competition out of the way to complete the "mission" and move on to the next.

No wonder online drivers are so messed up. Since you must get 1st, 2nd or 3rd the weaker drivers are literally forced to play bumper cars to advance.

The AI is actually pretty decent in the Dealership races where all the cars are the same, but the A, B, C races require you to pass a record number (in real life...) cars in 1 to 5 laps. It's like you're supposed to be a super hero! Here he comes to save the day! Watch while I pass 15 people in a car that's riduculously overpowered. I'll even start in the back of a single file line to give the mere mortals a chance. This part of PD is awful.

I'd prefer they let any level of driver advance whether they finished on the podium or not. If you weren't good enough, then you should have to race a few more times by earning points or something along those lines. Forcing people to finish on the podium is training bad drivers, IMO.

Plus, I've noticed something odd. The AI in the 1 lap races is almost identical race after race. They're always in the same spots, doing the same thing. The AI in the longer races, don't seem as predictable and they do pass on the inside, make mistakes etc, but on the 1 lap races it's like I'm playing Ikargua of something. It's like I'm racing through a pattern. Another good analogy is a movie. Anyone who's done the F430 1 lap race in C knows exactly when the DB9 will swing wide on the 2nd turn. It's like watching a movie unfold in front of your eyes. They don't need to do this. It really makes it seem more game and less sim.

The core physics, AI, graphics and atmosphere of Prologue are really good, but there are some parts of the game that really need work. Some of it will get fixed in GT 5, but I'm guessing these missions are GT thing and they might not. I wonder what the record number of attempts are to complete "missions" like S7? This is ridiculous. I'm guessing you need to be a masochist to finish a GT game if this is what single player is like. Please fix online!

Can someone verify has the GT series always had this type of career mode? If so, maybe it's just a Japanese thing, that won't change in GT 5. Ugh.

Don't compare a demo to a full game.

Sorry but what are we supposed to compare it too? Forza and GT are direct competitors and it only makes sense to compare their respective releases this generation whether or not you want to classify GT5P as a demo this time (people on this forum are picking and choosing whether or not GT5P is a demo or a respectable release -- stop it!).

Problems I have with GT5P:

1) Online options - Lobbies are a non-issue now as they've been done into the ground but they have to fix everything else. The rolling-starts are a joke (on Suzuka if you're about 12th the person in first is past the 1st corner which is just not on). The lack of options are just painful and the gamers...ugh, don't even start. They are the worst I've ever seen in a racing game (and the people with GTP_xxxx in their name are just as bad as anyone else so don't you lot get all high and mighty). Also, I want to race Eiger online as it's my favourite track...how would I go about this?! :nervous:

2) Penalty system - Either drop it all together or fix it, PD it's beyond a joke. Example: today around Suzuka, the guy behind me didn't bother braking for the hairpin and rear-ended me. I got the penalty for it! WTF?!

3) Quick tune - No where near in-depth enough (where's the anti-roll bar settings, rev limit, differential settings etc) and what it does provide makes no sense. Damper setting: 9?!??!? WTF does that mean?! Is it bump or rebound, is it in relation to what? REAL UNITS AND SEPERATE FOR BUMP AND REBOUND ARE NECESSARY. I am an engineer and I'm having a hard time setting the cars up because it makes next to no sense. Also, increasing the downforce increases PP number. Where's the logic in that? What you gain in downforce you lose in drag...it shouldn't increase the PP number at all.

4) Lack of in-game tuning - On Forza 2, if you go into the Test Drive mode in Vehicle tuning you can do real-time adjustment of settings and have real-time access to telemetry at the same time. All you did was press Start, go to "Tune" then change it, press B then go to "Continue". Tada, insta-tuning! It might not be realistic but that's my idea of Quick Tuning.

5) London track too short - It's nice having a confined, technical road circuit to race around but only one layout and only just over 1 mile in length? PGR3 and PGR4 had over 10 layouts for each city and they were just as well modeled.

6) Ferrari F2007 - I've covered this at length in my dedicated thread to it and by now the problems should be apparent

There are things that this game does very well such as the pro physics, the graphics and the general presentation but it's the SIMPLE things that the game fails to get right. Now I can see why Microsoft handing out excellent tools and dictating online standards has payed off -- Forza 2 is impeccable online.

There are things that this game does very well such as the pro physics, the graphics and the general presentation but it's the SIMPLE things that the game fails to get right.
Come to think of it, the things you just mentioned to be done well are the exact same things that are even remotely finished. The rest will be finished when GT5 hits the shelves.

Seriously, some of you. This is not the Forza killer. This is the prologue to GT5 which will be the Forza killer. What this should be compared to is GT4, maybe GT:HD, to see the progress done. I doubt you compare the LFS S2 demo to the full GTR2 in every area as you know fully well it's a bloody stupid thing to do because it's a WIP versus a full release but still, you compare GT5P to Forza 2 on equal terms. Is it just me or is there a certain "GT5P sucks, Forza rocks and discussion ends here" formula in action here?

As I've said before, if you played GT4P you know what you should expect GT5P to be. It's already blowing its precedessor out of the water in every single area. GT4P didn't have any tuning, any money, any buyable cars, any online. If you didn't, well, bad for you. In that case you just complain for the sake of complaining as you don't know (or understand) what the prologues are about.

Flame me. Tell me I'm a GT fanboy. But before doing those, think about what I just wrote, understand it, and reconsider the actions you're about to take. You might understand that it's a mirror you're about to flame.

Sorry but what are we supposed to compare it too? Forza and GT are direct competitors and it only makes sense to compare their respective releases this generation
... and that's the very point. GT5 has not been released. Comparing Prologue to FM2 would be the same as comparing a FM2 demo to GT5. Sure, you can argue that FM2 and Prologue are the releases we have right now, so it is fair to compare them. However, it is vital to understand that Prologue is missing certain things and has faults because it is not the full game.

For example, I see little sense in arguing that there are not enough tuning options in Prologue. It's called quick tuning because it is quick tuning. Of course, Forza has extensive tuning, but so did GT4, and so will GT5. But this is Prologue, a prequel, with less cars, less tracks and less options.

You can still compare FM2 to GT5P in terms of graphics, track layout, physics, handling, and things like that. About the only thing you can't do is compare the amount of cars or tracks as well as some special features like a paint shop.

I think GT5P has made a huge step in it's physics and feel of the cars which puts it up there or past FM2 in my opinion. Graphics and track design are obviously better.

1) Online options
Can't argue with most of this. One thing though:

(and the people with GTP_xxxx in their name are just as bad as anyone else so don't you lot get all high and mighty).
Tell us who as people who register officially and use the GTP_ names are expected to behave befitting of this forum. I am sure that Sphinx, at a minimum, would like to know who and what they did.

2) Penalty system
Not much to disagree with here either. It is okay, when it works.

3) Quick tune
You do know it explains what the settings mean in a scroll across the bottom, right? It isn't in-depth because it is quick tuning. More than the cheap arcade tuning in GT4, but not quite a full-fledged system.

4) Lack of in-game tuning
Now, this is weird, because I can pull this up and do some tuning while in a race without pausing. And these are all things that can be adjusted real-time in actual cars. Now, your Forza reference would work great for an option in a pit stop, but for the sake of realism, not allowing pausing while doing it would be an awesome idea.

5) London track too short
I fail to see this as a major issue as it is a street course, which is a good thing to have. Plus, an occasional short track is not a bad thing. It makes the races a bit more intense.

I can't comment on the F2007 because I don't have it yet.

Can't argue with most of this. One thing though:

Tell us who as people who register officially and use the GTP_ names are expected to behave befitting of this forum. I am sure that Sphinx, at a minimum, would like to know who and what they did.

Specific names escape me as I was too frustrated whilst getting thrown into the gravel for the 20th time in a single race for trying to over-take down a straight. All I caught were the "GTP_" prefixes. I will try to catch full names next time.

FoolKiller
You do know it explains what the settings mean in a scroll across the bottom, right? It isn't in-depth because it is quick tuning. More than the cheap arcade tuning in GT4, but not quite a full-fledged system.

Yep. I have read the scroll and it doesn't really make much sense either. Maybe I'm just spoiled with GTR2 and Forza 2 tuning interfaces but I expect at least the essentials to be properly marked. Sure, the spring-rate one makes sense but it's the damper settings that throw me off. The bump and rebound damping settings make a big difference, independantly so I am annoyed that it seems to adjust both by random increments. Hmpf. Maybe my pedantic engineer side showing through?

FoolKiller
Now, this is weird, because I can pull this up and do some tuning while in a race without pausing. And these are all things that can be adjusted real-time in actual cars. Now, your Forza reference would work great for an option in a pit stop, but for the sake of realism, not allowing pausing while doing it would be an awesome idea.

I don't just mean those available in the Prologue, in Forza 2 you could change gear ratios, anti-roll bar settings, diff settings, brake pressure/bias, spring rates, ride-height all by pressing Start and going to Tuning. This saved LOADS of time when it came to tuning the cars (and it only works in the Test Drive mode so you can't cheat in a Time Trial or whatever). I love it and now that it's gone, I miss it :( Oh and pressing up on the D-pad to bring up the real-time telemetry (you can use it actually AS you drive) is a God-send as you can see how much power you are producing, how much of the suspension travel you are using, current G-loads (on the longitudinal as well as the lateral axis) as well as tyre temperatures, camber angles and wear rates. I loved it.

FoolKiller
I fail to see this as a major issue as it is a street course, which is a good thing to have. Plus, an occasional short track is not a bad thing. It makes the races a bit more intense.

I do love the track but since it's so short you can master it fairly quickly so it gets a bit tedius. I like tracks that take ages to master.

FoolKiller
I can't comment on the F2007 because I don't have it yet.

Wait until you get it. What a disappointment :(

A winner????
you have been disconnected from the server !!!!
an error has oc.. you have been signed out ....(they changed this message,still
same junk)
beginners in expert class-no social aspect-no new friends-wallriding-no rules-stupid
penalties-no communication-40pct crazy drivers A WINNER?????? dont think so

GT5P physics rock all over Forza2 buy along way, provided you have a wheel.
Im not sure how much different they feel with a pad, i havent played a driving game with a pad in over 4 years.
Forza2 with the microsoft, wheel felt ok at best, but the handling was too forgiving and the wheel total rubbish.
In Pro mode with no aids in GT5p, it almost feels like driving, add the clutch and manual shifter into the equation (SP?) with the G25 and is comparable to some PC sims for feel.
Its not quite right, but its a lot better than anything else on a console, and its far prettier than anything on PC.
Forza2 lacked that next gen look, that PD have delivered.

FM2 sound was much better.
The AI in GT is still sorely lacking over what FM2 achieved, i can reset race after race in GT5p and find the same cars spinning in the same spot time after time, and as for driving round the outside the sweeping right turn on the fuji track, is laughable, 5 cars did it on one lap when i raced the other day.
FM2 collison physics are miles better than GT5p, its crazy that in the 5th instalmant prologue PD still havent figured out how to program the effects of a collision to any realistic effect.

GT5 isnt going to be the end all to all racers, they have so much to learn from what others are doing, but PD are too narrowly focused on what they dhave been doing for 10years, they have a tunnel vision approach to their product, and relentlessly work and rework what they already have, rather than throw any aspect out and start it from scratch.

GT5 does somethings well, its a great drive, if they get online working right and deliver good enough tools to host lobbys, we should all get tremendous value out of it.
As an offline racer, i think we can forget that being of top quality, they are to far behind and blinkered about the total overhaul their AI needs, so far for me, GT5prologue is just a further demonstration of a modified AI that was seen in GT4 and its predecessors.
I dont feel any AI this lacking in any modern Sim.
GT5 will deliver GT goods,but dont close your eyes to what else is/will be available and enjoy them all.

Specific names escape me as I was too frustrated whilst getting thrown into the gravel for the 20th time in a single race for trying to over-take down a straight. All I caught were the "GTP_" prefixes. I will try to catch full names next time.
I'm actually afraid it might be me as the few times I went online my connection was spotty and everyone jumped around, so what appeared to be a clean pass turned into a bump as they suddenly jumped in front of me at least twice.

Beginner: Daytona Super Speedway

Hmpf. Maybe my pedantic engineer side showing through?
Actually, that is quite possible, as for us general non-overly mechanical sorts this is about as complex as we want. Of course, if it were more complex I would learn.

I don't just mean those available in the Prologue, in Forza 2 you could change gear ratios, anti-roll bar settings, diff settings, brake pressure/bias, spring rates, ride-height all by pressing Start and going to Tuning. This saved LOADS of time when it came to tuning the cars (and it only works in the Test Drive mode so you can't cheat in a Time Trial or whatever).
I thought you were talking in a race or whatever. It seemed kind of cheap. But yeah that actually sounds cool for a non-recorded run.

I still think being able to do all that in a pit stop would be a pretty cool idea too.

I love it and now that it's gone, I miss it :( Oh and pressing up on the D-pad to bring up the real-time telemetry (you can use it actually AS you drive) is a God-send as you can see how much power you are producing, how much of the suspension travel you are using, current G-loads (on the longitudinal as well as the lateral axis) as well as tyre temperatures, camber angles and wear rates. I loved it.
That would be neat too. But I don't want to give up my real-time on-board adjustments.

I'm actually afraid it might be me as the few times I went online my connection was spotty and everyone jumped around, so what appeared to be a clean pass turned into a bump as they suddenly jumped in front of me at least twice.

Beginner: Daytona Super Speedway

You don't have to worry, I only race in the Expert mode (thinking there would be less idiots in it -- I was wrong :().

So far my impressions and rants:

At first, $40 didn't seem like a big deal to me. I was hoping the game would be longer than it is. But it's not.

I give the graphics a 9/10. AA and some weird lighting/artifact glitches(usually seen in dark tunnels on the ground). Some jerky/stuttering moments where they may have emphasized too much on the graphics and not performance. The car models themselves I give a 9.5.

The Sound I give an 8.5/10. We are enthusiasts, racing is in our blood. Why is the wind sound louder than the engine sound when going at high speeds? I want the engine to be loud and purring along when im at full throttle on the center channel of the surround sound damnit. Push the wind noise more to the rear channels or something. I might be knitpicking, but Nascar Racing Season 2003 by Papyrus spoiled me in this aspect. Also, give the engine sounds more bass! I want to hear the growl of the engine in the subwoofer when giving it full throttle at low RPM's. They seem to be more on the trebly/whiny side. Also, where's the sound of the blowoff valves on the turbo cars or the whine from superchargers?

Online play I give a 5/10. It's pretty bad but I have rubbed my pressure points and said Woosah several times. Then proceeded to stick with the single player only races and repeat to myself outloud... It's only a demo... It's only a demo... It's only a demo...
Where do I begin. No chat rooms/meetup rooms to race with friends, no voice, no customizable races, no stats what so ever, the collision/blinking car system is pitiful... and I think the stats play an important role here with the bigger complaints that there's a bunch of retards on there. If there were stats or some sort of tracking feature, you could customize/host a race where you could restrict the racers to the more serious/savvy drivers only. This way us die hard fans can race balls to the wall. Again, I gave it a 5/10 because it wasn't THAT bad of an attempt, especially for a company that has never had this feature in any of the previous games. and.... It's only a demo... :)

Physics I give an 8.5/10. Maybe it's because I'm using the sixaxis and not a wheel but I have a few gripes here. When I see the AI cars jerk hard to the left or to the right on straightaways to get around opponents at 180+ mph, why isn't the rear end of the car swaying out or why are they not spinning out?(aka like theyre on rails) Cars become very unstable at those speeds. Especially if theyre not formula or stock cars. Loosen the ramming penalty a bit here too, bump drafting should be allowed.

I had to turn off the PS3 for the 2nd time tonight because I am so aggravated. For those of you that have completed the S-7 track(i heard S-10 is a real PITA too but I haven't gotten that far yet) you know what I'm talking about and great respect to you too for completing it! The best ive been able to do on S-7 is 5th place.

MY BIGGEST GRIPE!
The penalties are KILLING me to no end. A, B, and C were all pretty easy. the S class has been fairly easy too up until I got to the S-7 race. At first I had a Nissan GT-R which didn't quite cut it for me. I couldn't get it to take the turns as good as the computer could and they would leave me in the dust on the straightaway. So then I tried the 06 Corvette Z06, that one didn't feel right for me either. Then I got the Amuse S2000 GT1. MUCH better. All the aids turned off. It takes turns like a dream. But it is annoying me to no end when I'm hitting the brakes going into a turn and the AI slams into me that I GET PENALIZED WTF! Also, the grass shortcut's are also annoying. I know they are to prevent people from cheating and what not, but come on! Why should we get penalized when the AI cars bump us into the grass? Or better yet, when the AI wrecks, spins out, or slams on the brakes in front of you, why should we get penalized for avoiding an accident? You're damned if you do(hit them, collision penalty) and damned if you don't here(grass, shortcut penalty).. and hell, even if you slam on the brakes in time avoiding them, someone rear ends you, RAMMING PENALTY FROM BEHIND. God damnit!

It's bad enough we lose valuable time from these incidences, we don't need penalties to compound them. In racing, whether simulation or real world, (edited by Moderator) poo-Happens! Polyphony Digital, if you're listening. PLEASE eliminate the penalties or at least loosen them up significantly before GT5 comes out or I'll get an ulcer. Other than them, I THINK the $40 was worth it. But I am ASSUMING we will be getting additional tracks and cars that will be downloadable for FREE between now and GT5 release. If I paid $40 for a glorified demo and have to pay for additional cars and tracks. I will be pissed.

</rant>

GT5P physics rock all over Forza2 buy along way, provided you have a wheel.
Im not sure how much different they feel with a pad, i havent played a driving game with a pad in over 4 years.
Forza2 with the microsoft, wheel felt ok at best, but the handling was too forgiving and the wheel total rubbish.
In Pro mode with no aids in GT5p, it almost feels like driving, add the clutch and manual shifter into the equation (SP?) with the G25 and is comparable to some PC sims for feel.
Its not quite right, but its a lot better than anything else on a console, and its far prettier than anything on PC.
Forza2 lacked that next gen look, that PD have delivered.

FM2 sound was much better.
The AI in GT is still sorely lacking over what FM2 achieved, i can reset race after race in GT5p and find the same cars spinning in the same spot time after time, and as for driving round the outside the sweeping right turn on the fuji track, is laughable, 5 cars did it on one lap when i raced the other day.
FM2 collison physics are miles better than GT5p, its crazy that in the 5th instalmant prologue PD still havent figured out how to program the effects of a collision to any realistic effect.

GT5 isnt going to be the end all to all racers, they have so much to learn from what others are doing, but PD are too narrowly focused on what they dhave been doing for 10years, they have a tunnel vision approach to their product, and relentlessly work and rework what they already have, rather than throw any aspect out and start it from scratch.

GT5 does somethings well, its a great drive, if they get online working right and deliver good enough tools to host lobbys, we should all get tremendous value out of it.
As an offline racer, i think we can forget that being of top quality, they are to far behind and blinkered about the total overhaul their AI needs, so far for me, GT5prologue is just a further demonstration of a modified AI that was seen in GT4 and its predecessors.

Yes.

The core physics, AI, graphics, atmosphere of Prologue are really good, but there are some parts that really need work. Some of it will get fixed in GT 5, but I'm guessing these missions are GT thing.

Can someone verify has the GT series always had this type of career mode?

Yes. :(

is there a certain "GT5P sucks, Forza rocks and discussion ends here" formula in action here?

No. (See bold type above...)

@ compaholic, that's a good review, and great first post here, so welcome to GT Planet! 👍
However, swearing isn't tolerated here, and I've edited your post to reflect this. 👎
This goes for all members that post here. If you're unsure of whether a word is acceptable, use the "Preview Post" button before you hit "Submit Reply". If a word is replaced by asterisks, remove it from your post and find an alternative before you submit your reply.
Do not, however, attempt to bypass the filter either, or you'll earn an infraction from the staff here.

That said, enjoy posting at GT Planet, and leave the profanity at home. :cheers:

lol sorry about the swearing... I KNEW I shouldn't of posted right after turning off the PS3 from being pissed. But I think maybe it expressed my feelings a bit better.

I haven't been on for awhile because I got tired of all the whining about everything that is wrong with these racing games. You all sound like spoiled mamma's boys bored with your Christmas present before lunch.

The developers put a great deal of work into Prologue and it looks and feels great. Prologue is just what I need while waiting for the full version.

degrendel: Right. Not to bash or anything but GT5(and GT5P) is advertised(even says so on the front cover) as "The Real driving simulator"... not a racing game like you said... with that said, Gran Turismo has set the threshold bar pretty high so we don't expect anything less. Also, just because developers put something out doesn't mean its any good(cough Microsoft cough cough Vista).

And finally. It's the feedback of the community(the customers that pay for it) that help the developers, be better developers, learn from their mistakes, and make better products. All of these complaints will help the developers make GT5 better than the GT5P like it's supposed to be.

I'm not even going to touch your ridiculous analogy about Christmas and lunch.

What can I say ive played Gran Turismo 2 3 & 4 and I have those ones I have got 5 Prologue also I cant belive some people say like the first poster no challange have you played the S events on pro physics no aids? Try climbn from P16 to P1 in 3 laps ?
I really think teh Pro physics are over done I feel like im driving a car in Gt2 where all teh MR cars and Fr you to spin like crazy my frustration doing these S events has risen!!! i have chucked and kicked my DFP wheel I dont think it will last much longer if i keep doing this way my PS3 has been kicked and thrown out of the cupboard and do you know what I Feel like im loosing interest in the whole series now for the first time I feel like I want to play another game over a brand new GT game I feel like rather playing Test Drive Unlimited and Rfactor on my PC then playing GT 5 I dont know why I couple of years ago i spent the whole day (2005) when i got GT4 doing the licence tests now its been 3 weeks since i got this and all ive done is C,B,A in GT4 i did the S tests within 4 days.
What annoys me are mainly the physics I mean standard are so crap I could do it with one hand on the wheel and then there is this major step up I belive PRO physics are unrelaistic too come on Rfactor is easier to drive then it.
This is whats annoying me like GT4 had one mode of physics but they were perfect I think Pro Physics in GT5 are just Physics where there is more wheel spin then anything else because that is all i see the difference being.

Back