disappointed with gt5p???

• Thread starter bevo
  • 168 comments
I just bought a PS3 bundled with GT5P and already i'm disappointed to find out... the set up menu is in **Japanese** :scared: WT* ??
I guess my list of disappointments of the game, will be delayed untill i learn
.....DOMO ARIGATO, Mr ROBOTO!! :crazy: and the manual, does NOT explain how to change language....??:confused:
Can someone please direct me to a quick solution ..before i...:banghead:
Thanks in advance!

And if you want to drive off the grass, and you push down the throttle, there is no wheel spin, instead, the engine is holding back.

I noticed that too, you can see that the clutch is pressed in whenever you try to accelerate on grass. I'm not sure if this is the same when TCS is set to zero.

Obviously, there are a lot of weak and underdeveloped areas in Prologue. I'm sure that PD is more than aware of them and wants to improve them as soon as they get the time. So basically, I think the final question to all this debate is: did PD finally bite off more than they can chew this time around?
They are clearly swinging for the fences with the incredible graphics, physics, etc, but it is also obvious that it is taking them FOREVER, and consuming the entire company's resources, to finish this game (hence the need for a "Prologue" to keep customers interested). I understand the desire to make a perfect game, but I think they set the bar way too high. Is a single person on the planet who can give an intelligent estimate on GT5's release date? Maybe they should start making some compromises to get this project finished before it turns into vaporware.

As far as we know 2009 is the release date for the game, make of that what you will.

2009 is not a release date. It is a year. The vagueness of that statement speaks for itself.

No that is the release date we have been given, sometime in 2009 you can expect the game. I would wager a summer release in Japan and a holiday release in Europe and America, this is speculation though.

Any other date that someone might give is just their thoughts on when it will be out since nothing more has come from the PD camp as far as I know.

I'm aware that 2009 is the release "date" that has been given. My point is that an entire 365-day span is not a proper estimate for the arrival of a game.

If this game doesn't get released until the '09 holiday season... that is a *year and a half* away. Am I the only one who realizes how ridiculous that is? Considering the ongoing console wars and rise of Forza, it would be a disaster for the franchise.

As I said before, after seeing the incompleteness of Prologue, I think PD set the bar way too high, and they need to get this product finished while it is still relevant.

I agree that PD does need to step things up and get the game out sooner rather then later, delays have always plagued the series though. It's bee what four years since GT4? That is a long time in between series, especially with the threat of Forza always on the horizon that has both damage (however good or bad one thinks it is) and customisation like aerokits and a paintshop.

PD didn't bite off to much though, KY will put out the game when he thinks it is finished. From all the interviews I've seen and the "Behind the Apex" clip on Prologue I gather this is more of an art project for him then a game. It will sell millions no matter how long it takes to come out and no matter how pissed the fan base is, we will still all buy it. We are becoming like the Final Fantasy group from what I can see.

I admit that it's possible the game could still be a hit by then. However, in the meantime, Sony is losing lots of potential revenue and a badly needed A-list game for their console. The diehard GT5 crowd will still be around, but in the next few years Forza (this is Microsoft after all) could easily take full control of the market and equal GT in quality.

If KY is treating this like an art project, good for him. From a business perspective, and a gaming perspective, the development time is unacceptable.

I don't know, but the end of 2009 seems like a bit too far off. I am assuming that Forza 3 would be out by then. Is it reasonable to expect more DLC over the next few months? Adding more cars & tracks would be nice - damage might be too much to hope for.

Nobody has commented on my criticism of the GT game-play structure. Is that because everyone accepts that there is no alternative possible? I remember when I started playing Forza 1, I found the majority of the races fairly interesting, but when I tackled GT4 (I had not played previous versions of GT), I found a lot of the "races", "missions", & of course the dreaded "license tests" dauntingly tedious. It's one thing to have to set a time trial lap time on the Nurburgring - challenging, but enjoyable - it's another thing to have to run the same $#%^&^! two corners over & over & over again to get them "just right". As in GT4, it seems that some of the races in GT5P are pointlessly easy, while others are insanely hard, requiring not "good driving", but endless repetition & a tendency to obsessive compulsive disorder. :dopey:

Oh well. there's always Arcade & online...

Overall, I'm really pleased with GT5P, even though it has a beta feel. There's only a couple areas where PD can improve, and I'm sure they will:

1. Fix 'unbeatable' races, such as the Integra one-lap mission.
2. Either standard or Pro physics needs a tweak. The badly over-steering Cappucino on Pro just didn't seem realistic. Plus, it seems like switching to Pro physics makes more races basically unbeatable.
3. I figure this won't be an issue in GT5 proper, but requiring players to do a race over and over and over to purchase a quarter-million dollar Ferrari to do just one race was just too tedious.
4. Biggles' issue: the difficulty is pretty uneven, and I've been playing the GT series since day 1.

I don't want to see the full product out until it is finished. I don't care if it is 2010, I want the greatest racing game ever and I am willing to wait. I think pd will feel the same. Forza is a good racing game. Besides GT it is the best console game, but it is no where near the level of physics and car modeling that gt5p has. Gt would lose more fans by putting out a subpar game now, than they would if they waited a year and a half and put out the best racing game ever. I don't think the bar could ever be set to high. If us Americans set the bar higher with more of our electronic products we released, we might actually have a few companies still producing them. "The bitterness of a poor product lasts longer than the sweetness of one soon received."

Overall, I'm really pleased with GT5P, even though it has a beta feel. There's only a couple areas where PD can improve, and I'm sure they will:

1. Fix 'unbeatable' races, such as the Integra one-lap mission.
2. Either standard or Pro physics needs a tweak. The badly over-steering Cappucino on Pro just didn't seem realistic. Plus, it seems like switching to Pro physics makes more races basically unbeatable.
3. I figure this won't be an issue in GT5 proper, but requiring players to do a race over and over and over to purchase a quarter-million dollar Ferrari to do just one race was just too tedious.
4. Biggles' issue: the difficulty is pretty uneven, and I've been playing the GT series since day 1.

Are you using a controller or wheel??
The integra one lap race is not unbeatable. It's really not even that hard.

It is stupid though how the races are setup. That is my biggest problem with the game. The races just do not seem right. They don't even feel like races. They feel like missions just like you guys are saying.

I love the pro physics. But if you are using a controller I could see your problem. The pro makes you use minute adjustments through turns and slight pressure on the gas and brake pedals. Just like in a real car.

Sorry for the double post. I meant to edit my last post.

But it really is uninteresting!

Here's an example of unimaginative gameplay: in A Class the "All Stars" series puts you at the back of the grid, so the you need to run the best car you have in order to win. Why not allow you to run a weaker car but start higher up in the grid? This would introduce a whole lot more variation in the racing. Too much of the gameplay simply requires you to repeat the same race again & again, until you figure out exactly what you need to do to "beat the game". This, of course, is largely a result of the still very basic AI - there are just not enough variables programmed into the racing to make it unpredictable & truly challenging.

The more I play Prologue with a G25 the more I'm impressed with the actual driving and less I'm impressed with the gameplay.

God, I wish Forza 2 and GT 5 could merge. PD, Please read these forums and match or equal Forza 2/3. Competition is good for us gamers!

===================

Prologue = Better

Graphics - Fantastic in car view, tracks, cars, lighting... In game and in replay/demo mode it's amazing at times.
Atmosphere - Demo mode is beautiful. PD really knows how to showcase your car! Great music. Historical bits etc.
Logitech G25 support - (ie I have a Microsoft wheel and a G25 wheel. The G25 is better. Pricey, but it's still a good value. H shifting is cool, although I prefer paddle shifting).

======================

Forza 2 = Better

Scoreboards - Sort by car, class, track. Filter by friends, driving aids, game type etc. Also, captures times in every mode including career and online.
Car Tuning -
Car Parts upgrading - Only actual parts capable for each car are allowed including drivetrain swaps. Game within a game.
Car Telemetry - Tons of detail on engine/tires/suspension etc, while in game.
Online - much less lag, lobbies, ranking system, customization options, voice chat etc, etc,
Damage - on/off/ghosts/cosmetic, limited, simulation etc.
Tournaments - web and ingame access
Car Painting - If you've seen the cars created, enough said.
Car trading online - Fun to paint and give/sell/trade with friends etc.
Website Integration - Upload pictures, Car Auction, Scoreboards etc.

==============

Coin Toss

AI - Both are decent if you drive well and predictably. If not, expect to be hit. You need to know racing etiquette. Once the AI driver turns in if you're not up to their front wheel it's their line... dive under and expect to get hit if you don't back off. Turn in's vary turn by turn. If you're tied or within a front wheel you need to share the line. They will give you space or back off. My experience so far... has been PD's AI is polite.
Driving Physics (it's close, but I'm really impressed with Prologue so far. I'd give the edge to Prologue, but it's really close. Both are very good).
Offline Format - (ie Prologue has the weird "mission" type races almost encouraging crazy driving (ie pass 16 cars in one lap... No wonder online is mayhem), Forza 2 has car upgrading required to win, some call it leveling). I prefer car parts upgrading, but some don't like either system.

==================

I'm having a blast driving with Prologue. It's the reason I bought a PS3 and I'm happy I did at this point. Having said that, the gameplay, bare bones features and really horrid online are killing me (yeah, I know it's not GT 5). I'll likely focus on Time Trials, because it features the best part of Prologue. The driving! PD, please catch up on gameplay. I need Forza 3 and GT 5 both to be excellent!

But everyone keeps saying it isn't a demo. I personally think it is but it seems like everytime someone says that they catch a bunch of flak.

It's a big enough game to be a stand alone release, that's why it shouldn't be treated as the usual demos. Usual demos are like the one we got for the Prologue, a few cars, one track, one race and that's it. However, the point is that Prologue is far from the final product which is why it shouldn't be compared to the final products of the rivals.

What really piss me off in this game?
- no changing weather conditions
- no tyres traces on the track in real time (as well as in sand area outside the track)
- after finishing off all classes it's getting pretty boring
- silly, absolutely unacceptable, penalty system (is this a real driving simulator with disappearing, blinking cars???)
- you can get only sport tyres in time trial mode
- track in London is pretty dark and short, nothing really special except buildings around and all infrastructure, much better i've seen in Project Gotham Racing 4.
- ok, we've got 70 cars in total, but there are still some famous vehicles missing, like McLaren, Koenisegg, Lamborghini (instead of Daihatsu, Suzuki they supposed to put these in)
- menu is very slow
- replays running on 30fps
- no damage at all, you can't even scratch your paint.
- 7 tracks is still not enough
- online problems (updating game sometimes going horribly long)

Overall: 8/10

Don't compare a demo to a full game.
Demos are free. This prologue to the full gt5 cost 40$. It is not a demo.
It seems like everyone keeps calling it a demo so that they won't feel so upset with the lack of features and poor game types. If I also called it a demo I would admit that it was the greatest demo ever created.
The demo for prologue was released in Japan before the release of the full version of gt5p. How could you possibly have a demo of a demo.

I don't mind the number of tracks. I actually like less tracks. It makes it easier for online racing because everyone knows all the tracks really well. The number of cars is fine to me also. It's the style of racing and the boost that poor racers get online that disappoints me so much.

One thing i do love, is the load times. In the long run it will kinda suck that we have to put our games on the hard drive. We will end up Having to go out and spend more for 500 gig versions, but if it cuts down load times like gt5p has, I will shell out the money and not mind it one bit.

I don't want to see the full product out until it is finished. I don't care if it is 2010, I want the greatest racing game ever and I am willing to wait.

Probably a lot of people on this site would agree with you. But I (along with most of the mainstream market) get pretty impatient going on 5 years since the previous installment, not mention 2 years since the release of PS3. The fact that PD is still so vague with a release date really makes me wonder.

Hopefully when GT5 is released it will be awesome. But there are lots of examples of highly anticipated videogames that spent so long in development they were overtaken by time. Technology and techniques are constantly advancing; when a game is mired with a model for several years it can become obsolete upon release. I don't believe in a perfect game, because the standard is continuously evolving.

Don't compare a demo to a full game.

I've seen $40 retail games, so some would say once you hit $40 it's a game.

My take is this is our opportunity to tell PD what we want in GT 5, so it makes tons of sense to compare to existing racing titles and tell PD what we want. What better chance do we have than right now?

Pretending that Prologue is perfect and that PD will magically just figure out what features are most important to us is a poor strategy on our part. Comparing to other games strengthens our argument for more features, because the bar has already been set that high by other games. We're challenging PD to do better.

I want the best GT 5 possible. I hope PD reads these forums. If they think all we need are private rooms, maybe that's all we get... :grumpy: Constructive criticism is helpful. That's what I'm trying to do.

They just released what they have, gt5p. Is this the type of game you want for a full release. If it is then you should be happy with it for awhile. If the online line is improved it would give most people their racing fix for awhile. It really could hold people off for a long time if they add more single player races, cars, and tracks.

I am just saying, with the release of the ps3 I am hoping for beautifully rendered cars and tracks, well thought out game types, and great online play with leagues, tournaments, and stat tracking. Is that too much to ask? I'm not sure. So far on the ps3 i think it might be. I have both a ps3 and 360. I want the ps3 to become the ultimate gameing machine just to spite my friends who hassle me about buying one, but i am beginning to have my doubts that this is possible. If pd and the ps3 does put out a soon release, but lower than expected quality, it could be the death of both gt and the ps3 racing audience. With games like dirt, the formula game, grid, and the ferrari game, and lastly gt5p, i think people can wait awhile for gt5. But if it comes out and isn't up to par, people could just as soon stop buying any of the games for the ps3 and totally go 360. Most of the multi platform games are better for the 360 anyways. The ps3 really needs to make sure that their exclusives are as good as they can possibly make them.

Forza will never take over the market. The 360 is only popular in America and some British-ie countries like England and Australia. And despite the glorious mod and paintshop, it has issues. It seems Microshaft can't release anything without flaws and bugs.

Criticizing is one thing, but stupid criticism is a waste. For instance, saying "The online sucks and needs to be fixed" when everyone should know that the online system is going to be updated just shows you're not up on things.

After thinking about the racing, how there's inevitably one car pulling away in first place you have to beat, I think that's actually rather smart. It means that going through the pack, you use strategy and skill to draft and pass, and develop a sense of how to read the path the cars ahead of you are likely to go. Then when you make your way to second, you have to use skill and knowledge of the track to whittle down that lead.

And you know you can make this game as challenging as you want. For instance, not picking the most powerful or capable car for the race? Just a thought. ;)

And yes, I'm very happy, love the thing. And it's going to get better.

I don't know, but the end of 2009 seems like a bit too far off. I am assuming that Forza 3 would be out by then. Is it reasonable to expect more DLC over the next few months? Adding more cars & tracks would be nice - damage might be too much to hope for.

Nobody has commented on my criticism of the GT game-play structure. Is that because everyone accepts that there is no alternative possible? I remember when I started playing Forza 1, I found the majority of the races fairly interesting, but when I tackled GT4 (I had not played previous versions of GT), I found a lot of the "races", "missions", & of course the dreaded "license tests" dauntingly tedious. It's one thing to have to set a time trial lap time on the Nurburgring - challenging, but enjoyable - it's another thing to have to run the same $#%^&^! two corners over & over & over again to get them "just right". As in GT4, it seems that some of the races in GT5P are pointlessly easy, while others are insanely hard, requiring not "good driving", but endless repetition & a tendency to obsessive compulsive disorder. :dopey:

Oh well. there's always Arcade & online...
You sound exactly like me. This is why I'm hoping they fix the online sooner than never so that I have some hope that when the full GT5 comes out, it has a proper online mode that I can spend my time on rather than tackling the single player races which I might find boring.

Are you using a controller or wheel??

It is stupid though how the races are setup. That is my biggest problem with the game. The races just do not seem right. They don't even feel like races. They feel like missions just like you guys are saying.

I love the pro physics. But if you are using a controller I could see your problem. The pro makes you use minute adjustments through turns and slight pressure on the gas and brake pedals. Just like in a real car.

Sorry for the double post. I meant to edit my last post.

I use the controller. I like the idea of pro physics, but I suspect it's best with the wheel and pedals since you can modulate your steering and throttle/brake inputs better. It just seems like there's too large a gap in difficulty: for example, in that GT All-Stars race at Suzuka, on Pro, best I was able to do was third (after many, many spin-outs and mid-pack finishes), but on Standard, I won with ease. :indiff:

I took a standard Integra Type R into that race and didn't pass anyone. Maybe I have to modify the car? I dunno. I haven't cleared the Class A races yet.

At the end of the day, I do expect that GT5 will be like night and day compared to GT5P. But if PD is perusing these forums (as they should be), they should know what people, especially the die-hard players, are thinking about GT5P.

The more I play Prologue with a G25 the more I'm impressed with the actual driving and less I'm impressed with the gameplay.

That's why I spent most of my time in GT4 in Arcade driving the Nurburgring in a RUF, or Sarthe in a race car. At least GT5P offers online options.

Criticizing is one thing, but stupid criticism is a waste. For instance, saying "The online sucks and needs to be fixed" when everyone should know that the online system is going to be updated just shows you're not up on things.

Agreed. There are some things which we can expect will improve, but the fundamental gameplay seems to here to stay.

After thinking about the racing, how there's inevitably one car pulling away in first place you have to beat, I think that's actually rather smart. It means that going through the pack, you use strategy and skill to draft and pass, and develop a sense of how to read the path the cars ahead of you are likely to go. Then when you make your way to second, you have to use skill and knowledge of the track to whittle down that lead.

And you know you can make this game as challenging as you want. For instance, not picking the most powerful or capable car for the race? Just a thought.

A lot of the "races" or "missions" in GT5P, just like in GT4 seem structured so that you require a specific car to win. When the game puts a GT-R in the pole & you in the back, it requires you to drive a GT-R & drive like a maniac in order to catch it. In practice, this means re-running the race over & over in order to squeeze every 10th of a second off your time &, most importantly, time your overtaking of each car you pass, so that you maximize your drafting & minimize the blocking.

This is similar to the way many other types of video game are structured, but it has very little to do with real life racing. First, IRL the other drivers would not react in the same way every single time the race is run, & you would not be able to catch another similar car 16 positions ahead of you in 3 laps! I've run a couple of the Class A races with the Corvette Z06 & I'm able to catch up with & blast past the other Corvettes as though they're standing still.

The continuing absence of decent AI & collision physics (although both are somewhat improved from GT4) & damage, means that competitive, realistic racing is still not present in GT5P's single-player game.

The gameplay in the GT series has always been about collecting cars. You progress through the game by collecting the cars required to win a given race, which allows you to collect another car to win the next race. The massive number of cars included in GT4 made this a very long & deep process. I guess a lot of people enjoy this process. For myself, I would prefer a gameplay experience which focuses more on driving skills & racing tactics. F1:CE provides exactly that sort of experience - it would be nice to be able to enjoy a similar experience with the range of cars (& the stellar graphics & physics) of Gran Turismo.

Forza will never take over the market. The 360 is only popular in America and some British-ie countries like England and Australia. And despite the glorious mod and paintshop, it has issues. It seems Microshaft can't release anything without flaws and bugs.

Neither can Sony by the looks of it. Please if you want to look at Forza critically at least fault the GT series for the same things because they do it as well, this is why we have updates. All games now a days are rushed to the market with patches coming frequently. GT5P was buggy by the sound of it when it was released and still is, I've had numerous problems with the music, random flashings, and poor graphics on the dust and shadows.

Forza has a very good chance of taking over, or any other simulation racing game for the matter since it takes PD forever to put out a game. They say 2009 but everyone knows that is subject to be pushed back through numerous delays. If GTR comes to the consoles then I can see that slipping in an pulling fans away from both series.

I like the GT series and I think they are going in the right direction but there are still quite a few issues that need to be addressed before it becomes the game we are all expecting it to be.

Back