disappointed with gt5p???

• Thread starter bevo
  • 168 comments
You can mess with the gearing and suspension when you unlock the Quick Tune. Only quite basic looking setup options but they work the way you'd expect them to.

You can mess with the gearing and suspension when you unlock the Quick Tune. Only quite basic looking setup options but they work the way you'd expect them to.

Yes I know that, but I still would have liked it from race #1.

I am a little disappointed with the lack of races and challenges in prologue. Sure the online needs improvement, but this is on Sony's system. The game designers have to basically build their online from scratch. At least on xbox they have Live which is set up quite well and gives the game developers a good starting point for online.

As far as GT goes, there are times when I get bored with it, but I end up coming back to it, where something about Forza was fun at first, but after a while it really did feel like a giant chore. Especially how you had to level up to do the races. Sure the license tests in GT weren't all that fun, but at least I could work to do those and enter the higher level races when I wanted to rather than having to race lower level races to earn money to level up.

It's too early for me to critique the game. I've only played for about an hour. One thing that dissapointed me was the online mode. But I know PD will fix it. I was stunned of how beautiful GT looks and amazed at the in car view.

I think I'm kind of in this boat too. I have no issues with any of the amount of content the game has, I wasn't expecting more. But the races are stupid. Either you kill everybody without putting any effort into it, or you have to wallride and bounce off the other cars in the missions where you pass 15 cars. Seriously, you have to run laps that are like 12 seconds or more faster than the leader. Its not fun, its not challenging in the way that you feel rewarded to beat it. It just gives headaches.

I also find it odd that the G25 isn't officially supported while everything works perfectly, right down to enabling the paddle shifters when you switch to sequential mode (reverse is still triangle - I'd like reverse to be accessed by holding the brake and downshifting from a stop in first or something like that).

Again, not knocking the amount of content, just that the actual racing isn't fun.

My starting car was the MINI Cooper S :D! Although it is the older model I have driven the S version of it so it was nothing strange. This is where my impression set in. It looks just like a MINI, for the most part sounds like it (the exhaust didn't gurgle like the real one does), and most importantly drives like one. I had to set a slight bit of traction control though since that is how the car really works. I really hope they put an R56 MINI in the full game so I can see how my real car stacks up against a simulated one.
This is exactly how mine played out as I have a Rabbit, not a GTI, but the interior, sound, and handling were nearly dead on.

I think I'm kind of in this boat too. I have no issues with any of the amount of content the game has, I wasn't expecting more. But the races are stupid. Either you kill everybody without putting any effort into it, or you have to wallride and bounce off the other cars in the missions where you pass 15 cars. Seriously, you have to run laps that are like 12 seconds or more faster than the leader. Its not fun, its not challenging in the way that you feel rewarded to beat it. It just gives headaches.

I also find it odd that the G25 isn't officially supported while everything works perfectly, right down to enabling the paddle shifters when you switch to sequential mode (reverse is still triangle - I'd like reverse to be accessed by holding the brake and downshifting from a stop in first or something like that).

Again, not knocking the amount of content, just that the actual racing isn't fun.
That is exactly what i am saying, but i do keep playing it. I can't wait until my wife gets off work so i can play it more tonight. Hopefully the farther i get into the game the better it will become.

I posted on this thread a few pages back but I did have to mention how much I love the in-car view. GTR always had a very good in-car camera and PD has done a fine job. Now all we need is an HD helmet TV thingy with head tracking.

As far as in-car stuff goes, enjoy this video I just found of Andy Murry taking a Ford GT-R around Long Beach. The first lap he talks you through the shift points and braking and then does a couple of laps without talking. Awesome stuff. (Scroll down to featured videos. It's the first one.)
http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1391584903/bclid1395204415/bctid1509865705

I agree the in car view is great. I have been dying for this view in gt forever. I just wish they had put more actual racing in the game. The cars are great, physics fantastic, racing is as bad as i have ever seen.

I'm slightly disappointed, I expected a little more. Though really it's just poorly thought out things that have done that. The penalty system and the laziness to program cars to drive around you (or rather not, and just drive through you)...the fact that rear wheel drive probably got a little too much treatment in the wrong way in Pro settings and on a similar topic the fact that for many it seems some races are practically impossible to do on Pro settings. But...in the end I know it's just a demo and doesn't fully reflect what we'll get in GT5...so I can live with it. But there's so much more that's needed.

Have to agree with Bevo too, in car view is top notch (except the Tuscan Speed Six, unless the patch fixed it it's digital speedo loses sync with the HUD speedo after the first gear change) but the racing...geh...sometimes it's fun but other times the penalties and the fact most AI cars think the corners are a few meters wider than they are ruins it. It's nice to see the AI making mistakes from time to time and even causing pile ups but they often make a few too many.

it's not because i'm lazy or my shift key is broken; i'm a graphic designer by trade and personally i think by not using uppercase, text and sentences seem more balanced. but if that's not allowed, then i'll go elsewhere.

Ugh. Correct capitalization isn't supposed to be aesthetically pleasing. I'd love for you to leave out capital letters in your resume and try to get a job. And as a graphic designer, I'm sure you know that what you like hardly matters. Design some wedding invitations for a couple and lowercase everything and see how they feel. Tell them "it makes the invitation feel more balanced." It is NOT your call. A message board is not your personal canvas, it is someone else's work. Stick to their specifications, or, yes, leave. And I hope you can design things with capital letters that look balanced. Otherwise, leave the field, too.

I am really getting sick of the Integera Type R pass 16 people in one lap race. I'm stuck on the B area one where you are on the High Speed Ring. The best I can do is 7th in the races. It's things like this that are really ruining what otherwise could be an awesome game as far as the physics and graphics are concerned.

Well,i can not say that i'm "disappointed" cause either way i prefer to do time trials with lightly tuned cars in various tracks or just drifting,but the game play is boring.

I believe that (besides the FACT that gt5 is a brilliant game in most aspects) KY has started enjoying the whole idea of being famous.Who knows,maybe the next gt will be called KY6 :)

I agree with JackB , bevo & a lot of the comments made in this thread.

I am not disappointed with GT5P because I find it much better than the demo had suggested: the physics are much more convincing (I don't know why they didn't put a decent FR car in the demo), so the driving can be a real challenge now.

As other people have commented, the in-car view is amazing. The car modelling is amazing. The environments I find a bit flat & unattractive, like everything is super-lit. It would be really nice to have some more atmospheric lighting, as well as,of course, weather effects.

Love the cool jazz piano stylings.

I do wish there were a couple more tracks, although I'm OK with the number of cars.

The actual racing is, for the most part, the same old boring grind it was in GT4. I know that this is the established game-play structure for the GT series (& very similar for Forza), but for me it imposes a plodding progression on the player: you have to do stuff just to get it done. Re-running the same lap over & over again, with the same 15 cars, until you've figured out how to get the absolute perfect line around a track doesn't have much to do with good driving & is "difficult" in the wrong way.

The central problem remains the very limited AI, compounded by the poor collision physics & lack of damage. What makes racing interesting is variability & unpredictability. Without that, every race is just a "time trial with moving obstacles".

I love the game-play structure in F1:CE where you have a long term "career", where the point is to develop your driving skills, so that you can effectively compete in (long) races, where anything can & does happen, you actually interact with the other drivers & cars, & where terminal damage is always lurking around the next corner. It is, how can I put it, more... 💡

exciting!

Could you emagine being a PD developer and coming across this site? I'm sure you'd love to have your arse pounded into the ground for all your hard work :rolleyes:

Is it perfect and excactly what we want? no but it's pretty damn trick if you ask me, the car modeling is 2nd to none and the physics I think is a big improvement from gt4. Comparing the online play to other games is not fair quite yet, give em some time to sort it out.

The gt series is the best platform racing there is or we would not be here in the first place. 👍 gt5p

The only problem I have with GT5P is that the missus has decided she wants the front room decorated again.

So no time for GT5P for 3 days:grumpy:

Could you emagine being a PD developer and coming across this site? I'm sure you'd love to have your arse pounded into the ground for all your hard work

Has it occurred to you that maybe they're thinking: "Great, millions of dollars (yen) worth of market research for free!" :) Besides, bear in mind that everyone commenting on this thread actually has purchased a copy of GT5P!

I'm actually very pleased with GT5P overall, mainly because of the huge improvement in the physics, which was my biggest worry. I'm pretty confident that GT5, when it arrives, will take care of most of the other issues.

i love 90% of the game, what i dislike is the update system! and ai has improved but should get better.

Has it occurred to you that maybe they're thinking: "Great, millions of dollars (yen) worth of market research for free!" :)

Yes it has, just the other day I told a friend on msn that excact same thing ;) My point was constructive critisism vs. crying, or at least not to say 'the game sucks and I finished it in 2 seconds :crazy:

Meh we are allowed to critique the game all we want since we spent, it is not without its flaws. If PD was smart they would love people like us telling them what is wrong. We are their fan base and we all love the series so it would make sense to listen to us.

Meh we are allowed to critique the game all we want since we spent, it is not without its flaws. If PD was smart they would love people like us telling them what is wrong. We are their fan base and we all love the series so it would make sense to listen to us.

I'm sure they do listen but in reality they would sell the same amount of games without reading all the negitive feedback, GTP is not that powerefull in a global market for one of the best console games ever made.

I'm sure they do listen but in reality they would sell the same amount of games without reading all the negitive feedback, GTP is not that powerefull in a global market for one of the best console games ever made.

It's debatable about being "the best console game" and PD does visit the site and read through it as far as I know. Many people are obviously unhappy with the way parts of the game are if some of these threads are anything to go by so I see no reason not to at least get our critiques out there.

As Biggles said, this is free market research for them since most of us on this site are pretty "hardcore" fans.

Previous on this thread I said what I disliked about GT5p. I want to say that GT5p is one heck off a game. I love it. If there is one thing I want to see improved though, is the physics engine (or whatever do I have to call it) off track. If you come onto the grass or in the sandpit, it seems that the car is skidding on ice, sort off. Isn't it the purpose of a sand pit to slow down the car? And if you want to drive off the grass, and you push down the throttle, there is no wheel spin, instead, the engine is holding back.

If PD should read this, please do something about that.

:)

I said "one of the best" not the best, and I recognize that pd visits this site, some of the unhappy feedback is warranted, I never said don't critique it. I also already said biggles is right.

I think it's alright and also important to criticize a game for its faults. However, it should be done in a proper context. If someone says "this game totally sucks!", and when you start asking he says "actually I love it, but X and Y are a bit off", it's not okay. I understand that sometimes there's a lot of frustration and false expectations involved, but if you want to get your critics out there to actually improve the end result, you should emphasize on transmitting the actual information.

Back