Disney to purchase Netflix?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 50 comments
...Color me intrigued. I also don't see it happening, but never say never.

With Disney owning nearly everything under the sun, owning a streaming service like Netflix that's geared towards more mature audience does look like a prudent business decision. That is, if the House of Mouse wishes to snap it up in the first place.

And let's not forget, just because Disney wants, doesn't mean it gets. Netflix's shareholders could vote No on the sale.

Aaaaand, there's the President-elect Trump, who voiced his "concern" on the AT&T/Warner deal just last month, citing some stuff about anti-trust and fair competition and all that. Imagine if this deal goes through - imagine the hullabaloo His Donaldness might raise.

I'm not overly surprised considering Netflix and Disney already seem fairly close to each other.

I wouldn't count on their catalogue of major animated films being available though. It's hard to sucker people into buying the overpriced digital and Blu-ray versions when you can just watch it on Netflix.

Aaaaand, there's the President-elect Trump, who voiced his "concern" on the AT&T/Warner deal just last month, citing some stuff about anti-trust and fair competition and all that. Imagine if this deal goes through - imagine the hullabaloo His Donaldness might raise.

I could certainly see the concern there if Disney maintains part ownership of Hulu after the Netflix deal if it happens.

Thought I found it a bit weird, not seeing Rogue One on Netflix. I haven't seen it on Foxtel either.

Seems like a smart move, if anyone can pull this off successfully...its Disney.

Plus with Netflix shifting focus to original programming more than ever, I don't think Disney jumping off-board will have too much of an impact for the service.

My only concern is that there is already a ridiculous amount of streaming services out there right now, we don't need more to add to the pile. I like having everything in a single place for easy access.

In related news Netflix recently bought Mark Millar's comics company so either they're not short of cash or are heavily in debt, no one I've read on the net seems to know.

My only concern is that there is already a ridiculous amount of streaming services out there right now, we don't need more to add to the pile. I like having everything in a single place for easy access.

It was bound to happen, just like it did with music streaming, tv was next and film perhaps down the road. Now Disney didn't really make their own from scratch they just bought out the MLB streaming service, as a source for their content. I can't say it's surprising considering that I have several of the major streaming services (much cheaper than Cable really), and Disney in particular has been very bad about updating shows or allowing new content. Opting to keep people interested by giving content that was new maybe 2-3 years ago. So to me I thought it was a matter of time before Disney either went exclusive like they tend to do, or establish a singular partnership with one service (which is still exclusive but not just Disney).

The bigger issue I have is there has been no talk or suggestion of what is to become of Marvel and Star Wars. Which many are also probably concerned about, because that would mean a big loss of newer netflix content, but also from other streaming services.

I'm not a massive Disney fan, since I'm not longer a kid, but I do have kids and they are obvious fans. So I easily can see the complaint of one too many streaming services. However, I feel the safety net is that if everyone does this, people will pick and choose who to buy and other groups will die out where they would have lived on with Cable/Satellite. Sure Disney can make it work because they're not like other studios, but I also think if the pricing is off and if the content isn't steady or more frequent then cable it will lose money.

In related news Netflix recently bought Mark Millar's comics company so either they're not short of cash or are heavily in debt, no one I've read on the net seems to know.

I would have to think they're not heavily in debt, since them, hulu, and amazon all seem to have the funds to produce and distribute their own tv shows and movies with well known A-list actors.

I would have to think they're not heavily in debt, since them, hulu, and amazon all seem to have the funds to produce and distribute their own tv shows and movies with well known A-list actors.
... assuming of course that the money they're using to make the shows is their own.

Netflix's own figures indicate they're nearly five billion dollars in gross debt according to this article.

... assuming of course that the money they're using to make the shows is their own.

Netflix's own figures indicate they're nearly five billion dollars in gross debt according to this article.

Yes but when you spin it that way without actually detailing your own source, you miss the broader pictures. Netflix is rated at a high equity, and that's before we get into assets and other such finances that go beyond the idea of gross debt and company net worth. Then you have the fact that they had a 25% increase in subscribers with a continual growth. So simply saying "yeah looks like they may be in debt", when they're equity on the market is 75billion seems to be short changing them.

Also if they end up controlling half the content on their platform, they'll save even further, which is their long term plan. The only wrench seems to be Disney going solo and being competition for Netflix. So all the article tells me is what I said in my initial post on the situation.

Yes but when you spin it that way without actually detailing your own source
I'm not actually trying to spin anything and I provided a source which you appear to have examined in detail, so please don't accuse me of trying to obscure the truth (again). Unless you're referring to the writers of the article, but they're the ones who mentioned the 75 billion equity and provide details of the "broader picture" which your earlier post failed to mention.

My intention was to provide some background figures to shed some light on the Netflix in debt headlines. If the debt figure doesn't matter, then I'm not sure why they felt the need to publish the article.

Last edited:
I'm not actually trying to spin anything and I provided a source which you appear to have examined in detail, so please don't accuse me of trying to obscure the truth (again). Unless you're referring to the writers of the article, but they're the ones who mentioned the 75 billion equity and provide details of the "broader picture" which your earlier post failed to mention.

My intention was to provide some background figures to shed some light on the Netflix in debt headlines. If the debt figure doesn't matter, then I'm not sure why they felt the need to publish the article.

Okay but hunting for an article that sticks to a leaned bias and not reading it over closely yourself doesn't help your case. When I say spin I mean put a summed up viewpoint via hyperlink. You weren't accused and jumping to a defense as such is unnecessary. How did my earlier post fail to mention something? I simply said I would think they were stable and gave a simple perspective why, never did I even entertain that being more than my personal view.

I have no idea why they would print it other than to give a general story about the Netflix in the market it thrives in.

Yes, But it will keep everyone on their toes atleast and make sure prices don't rise much.

Maybe this thread should be renamed Disney+.

It'll be available in Australia and New Zealand on November 19, for $8.99AUD. Guess I'll be cancelling Stan. and Prime.

Anyone purchase Disney+?
My roommate is going to get it. We're splitting streaming services. I'm getting Netflix, Hulu and Crunchyroll. He's getting CBS All Access, Amazon Prime, and Disney+.

I got it. Trying to watch The Mandalorian right now on my PS4 but it keeps freezing and then telling me something is wrong when I try to play again. Go figure.

Anyone purchase Disney+?
I got the pre-paid 3 year plan.

I have The Mandalorian and the Jeff Goldblum NatGeo show downloaded on my phone to watch at the gym. Haven't had time to make it past there yet.

Signup for me is scheduled for this Friday... I'm holding off because the kids don't get TV during the week.

Ok so I got it last night to make sure things went smoothly today. I think this is a game changer...

Not to the extent that Netflix was, but prior to this moment, there was always a class of movie that you just never got access to. The class of movie that say... Star Wars was in... or Pirates of the Caribbean... or Avatar... or Tron. It was a class of movie that was too good (or perhaps that's not the right word, too much demand) for streaming but also had been out too long to be easily rentable (like redbox). Previously the best way to get these was Netflix DVD (which most people think doesn't exist) or pay-per-view on Amazon... or you could buy it of course.

Disney is changing all of that by not holding back any of their most ownable titles, they're moving hard into streaming/subscription land, and I think it's progress... I think... certainly it's changing the landscape.

Last edited:
I would do but it's not available here until the end of March next year.

I did enjoy the first episode of the Mandalorian though...
Wonder why so long.

Well, may be a system overload. I have been waiting to purchase it since 8am. Why wife is keeping me up to date while I'm at work.

Edit: Disney+ is a go! Only $89.99/year.

Last edited:
My household (3 kids) went big with Disney last weekend. In one weekend I got to see anti-toxic masculinity (Frozen 2) and toxic masculinity from 65 years before (Lady and the Tramp, Peter Pan). What a wild ride Disney is putting on right now.

My household (3 kids) went big with Disney last weekend. In one weekend I got to see anti-toxic masculinity (Frozen 2) and toxic masculinity from 65 years before (Lady and the Tramp, Peter Pan). What a wild ride Disney is putting on right now.

I recommend watching encore!. Didnt expect it to be that entertaining. A real feelgood documentary-style/reality series

Cant wait for the Marvel content that is incoming. I would just hope they will move to dropping complete seasons, instead of the weekly format soon..

Binging new shows is not great for subscriptions, I doubt they'll do that.

Yep I know. They dont have enough content yet to justify it. Some shows I just wait till they finished the season, before starting binging. I like watching 2-3 episodes at a time. But the mandalorian is a show I dont want to risk being spoiled.

Latest Posts

Back