Disney to purchase Netflix?

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 50 comments
Yep I know. They dont have enough content yet to justify it. Some shows I just wait till they finished the season, before starting binging. I like watching 2-3 episodes at a time. But the mandalorian is a show I dont want to risk being spoiled.

I doubt they ever will. I was surprised Netflix did, since it seems to run counter to their revenue model. They also did simultaneous releases with theaters (like El Camino) and that was kinda crazy from a financial perspective as well.

I doubt they ever will. I was surprised Netflix did, since it seems to run counter to their revenue model. They also did simultaneous releases with theaters (like El Camino) and that was kinda crazy from a financial perspective as well.

Netflix blows others out of the water with the amount of monthly new content. If disney has loads new content come in monthly, I dont see why they wouldnt drop complete seasons.

I hate the binge model. I reckon it devalues the viewing experience by 75%, and the worst part is that once other people take the opportunity to watch it all in one go, it makes it harder for others not to, or not get it spoiled.

I hate the binge model. I reckon it devalues the viewing experience by 75%, and the worst part is that once other people take the opportunity to watch it all in one go, it makes it harder for others not to, or not get it spoiled.

You are the first person I ever met, that dislikes that model!

You are the first person I ever met, that dislikes that model!

I don't watch much TV, or follow that many series, so for me time is not tight - watching an Episode of something per week fits right in, forms part of the routine, and gives something to look forward to throughout the week. I also like to savour an episode for a while, and I enjoy the anticipation, discussion and speculation of the following episode.

I don't watch much TV, or follow that many series, so for me time is not tight - watching an Episode of something per week fits right in, forms part of the routine, and gives something to look forward to throughout the week. I also like to savour an episode for a while, and I enjoy the anticipation, discussion and speculation of the following episode.

I used to feel that way until I got Netflix!

I used to feel that way until I got Netflix!

I had Netflix for a while, 'till I realised there was very little I actually wanted to watch, and that I was just watching **** for the sake of it. Like I say, I don't tend to watch much TV... in fact, I've had no method for receiving broadcast TV for about 7 years now. I'd sign up for Disney+ if I could, simply for the Star Wars content, but other than that, a subscription to Now TV for a couple of months to watch Twin Peaks season 3 is about as far as I've gone with anything.

Netflix blows others out of the water with the amount of monthly new content. If disney has loads new content come in monthly, I dont see why they wouldnt drop complete seasons.

Quality > Quantity

Netflix has tons of new content, and I don't want to watch any of it. I cancelled Netflix within a week of Disney+. I imagine it'll come back at some point, but not for the moment. Netflix would do better to slow-roll their good content (like Stranger Things) to keep you coming back over a longer period. It's a more enjoyable experience because:

1) you don't feel like you need to binge-watch 8 hours of television to avoid spoilers
2) you want to have a prolonged common-viewership experience, such as is happening with Mandalorian right now (and happened with Game of Thrones), where people can bond over a common-love of the show
3) the repeated building of tension and payoff gets the viewer more invested in the content, and more invested in the service
4) your customers pay for subscriptions for longer when they can't cram the show and quit
5) you continue to make entertainment headlines and stay relevant for longer

Dumping entire seasons is just not a good model. I don't know why Netflix does it.

Quality > Quantity

Netflix has tons of new content, and I don't want to watch any of it. I cancelled Netflix within a week of Disney+. I imagine it'll come back at some point, but not for the moment. Netflix would do better to slow-roll their good content (like Stranger Things) to keep you coming back over a longer period. It's a more enjoyable experience because:

1) you don't feel like you need to binge-watch 8 hours of television to avoid spoilers
2) you want to have a prolonged common-viewership experience, such as is happening with Mandalorian right now (and happened with Game of Thrones), where people can bond over a common-love of the show
3) the repeated building of tension and payoff gets the viewer more invested in the content, and more invested in the service
4) your customers pay for subscriptions for longer when they can't cram the show and quit

Dumping entire seasons is just not a good model. I don't know why Netflix does it.

I personally like the freedom to binge. People have different ways to view shows and movies. Before streaming I was unable to watch many shows, because the were alsways syndicated, when I needed to work. By buying season DVD's I had the freedom to binge a few episodes at the time. I guess that is where my preference to the freedom to binge comes from.

Different people have different ways of watching TV. You're under no obligation to binge it. Personally, I like having the option. It sure beats how TV was when I grew up. If you wanted to watch a show, you had to be in front of the TV at the exact moment it was on. If you missed it, you had to wait until it was rerun. If the show got cancelled, you were done. No way to rewatch episodes before VHS and Betamax. Things are so much better now.

Different people have different ways of watching TV. You're under no obligation to binge it. Personally, I like having the option. It sure beats how TV was when I grew up. If you wanted to watch a show, you had to be in front of the TV at the exact moment it was on. If you missed it, you had to wait until it was rerun. If the show got cancelled, you were done. No way to rewatch episodes before VHS and Betamax. Things are so much better now.

You're mixing things a bit.

Timeshifting programs, and being able to watch previously aired programs, does not go along with dumping entire seasons at once. Mandalorian (and Game of Thrones) are still available to binge based on what has already "aired". There's no issue with missing the show and being unable to watch it until rerun.

The binge issue is suddenly making available an entire season of a show (like was done with Stranger Things) all at once. So you could watch it overnight the moment it came out if you wanted to. That does actually put pressure on people to binge, because if you don't want the season spoiled by people who watch it much faster than you, you need to keep up. Generally you do get a couple of weeks to get it done, but don't try to drag it out over 3 months (like Mandalorian is rolling) or you'll find out what happens.

That does actually put pressure on people to binge, because if you don't want the season spoiled by people who watch it much faster than you, you need to keep up. Generally you do get a couple of weeks to get it done, but don't try to drag it out over 3 months (like Mandalorian is rolling) or you'll find out what happens.

I felt that I needed to watch GOT episodes asap out of fear of being spoiled. I have that a lot less with Netflix shows.

Either people are more respectfull because the season are dropped at once or its just psychological. It could also be because some shows are syndicated weekly there is much more hype per episode.

I don't have time to binge watch, but when Stranger Things coincides with a rainy summer weekend, then I'm glad it's a feature.

Number 4 is the one they should mainly care about. Dropping it all at once encourages binging drive by's. One month subscription, watch a show or three and then drop the subscription. There's money lost there they could use for content.

Number 2 definitely affects people. I hear people talking about finishing a season when I'm in the middle of the season or haven't started it yet. It doesn't work on forums or other social media either. You can't really talk about each episode.

I'll have to check the Runaways. I think I saw one episode. Was it Blink(?) who was opening portholes inside their hideout? It was almost like the Breakfast Club, but young adults with powers.

https://www.marvel.com/amp/articles...ate?linkId=81770638&__twitter_impression=true
On the call, Iger also revealed release dates for two of Marvel Studios' highly-anticipated series: The Falcon and The Winter Soldier (August 2020) and WandaVision (December 2020), which saw its first broadcast spotlight over the weekend during the Big Game, for later this year.

I'll have to check the Runaways. I think I saw one episode. Was it Blink(?) who was opening portholes inside their hideout? It was almost like the Breakfast Club, but young adults with powers.
I think you might have seen an episode later in the series. There are three seasons and I've only watched the first three episodes of S1. That's a pretty good description of the show. Where I am now, they're all in high school, and their parents are pure evil.

I wonder if Marvel/Disney/Disney/Marvel would pull Black Widow before its release date. A movie theatre isn't the ideal place to be for the moment.

I wonder if Marvel/Disney/Disney/Marvel would pull Black Widow before its release date. A movie theatre isn't the ideal place to be for the moment.
It's already pulled as far as I know.

No new release date has been provided yet.

May as well stream it. I paid for my subscription, but wouldn't mind paying $5-$10 on Disney+ to watch it.

Latest Posts

Back