Do "elite" drivers ruin the game?

• Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 96 comments
Just out of curiousity. Does the spoiler show?
For some reason, if I want to add a spoiler here, I never see them... :odd:
Nope. Although your quote did have the spoiler, so I still saw it :P
Try this:
I am BATMAN (Rides in Citroen batmobil

Nope. Although your quote did have the spoiler, so I still saw it :P
Try this:
I am BATMAN (Rides in Citroen batmobil

Thats weird. I still cant see it in my quote. But yours works, even though its the exact same text...
Well, you got it somehow, at least :D

Clean accident free racing takes you far, but cant beat the meta. Top 5 in a race is possible in almost all cars.

I like Mustangs, and winning isn't what I need to enjoy my racing, though of course, it's the target. But I'm finding myself well out of my depth out there, as I don't think much, but do, if that makes sense.

I feel you bro. Representing Ford in manufacturers cup even though i know i wont compete. Have my nicest liveries in mustangs too. :sly::lol:

One can bee very competitive in gr3 'Tang on occasional tracks, but that gr4 mustang is just darn slow. Can barely brake in to top10 at any given race.. :indiff::cheers:

I enjoy the constantly changing BOP and flavor of the week Meta cars. By choosing the Meta for a track it ensures im competitive and that I will get variety out of my garage. If it wasn't for the top ten list I may have only ever dusted off a fraction of the cars I have driven. It helps me get the most out of this game and has given me a chance to race most of the cars in the categories

I know this will get a lot of hate, but for me the so called "aliens" ruin the expreience/variaty we have in sport mode.
Why you ask? Well, just look at the Top 10 list in every daily race.

I'm well aware that some cars may be OP and its a neverending story with new (slightly) OP cars every update. But for me, the bigger problem is the faster guys who jump on them just to get the slight advantage (of maybe 0.1 to 0.5secs).
What follows is the sheep who think they have to use them too, to even be slightly competitive. Of course there are some exceptions, @TRL LIGHTNING is a good example, as he uses lots of underrated cars and owns the Top10 list most of the time. So you see 9 Meganes and one NSX on top.
If more of the fast guys would do that, we would see a more mixed field and would have more fun races. IMO :sly:

The last race I did, everyone and their mothers used a Megane or Lancer. I was the only one in a Citroen and could keep up easily. And why? Because I know the car and how to use it.
Most of the meta sheep just use what they see on the Top10 list, without any experience of the car and its brakingpoints etc.

I know this will never happen, as every game has this so called "meta" era. But one man can dream, right? And I will never join them and will be forever the special snowflake :P
I just hope more would join. Especially the faster guys, as they can influence the whole community the most.
Months ago on Daily Race C at Nurburgring GP the top 10 was filled with mostly the Porsche all day long.

Then late into the evening out of nowhere the top time suddenly belonged to a 458 Ferrari. The driver? One orma Snow :lol:

I haven't got the time or the patience to lap in various cars and find which is the quickest. I'll usually try the meta car in the top 10, if it works I stick with it, if I find it unsuitable to my style I'll go with whatever I prefer in that category. The good thing is it actually exposes me to cars I would ignore. I'd be just lapping in the RSR if it was up to me (s*** though it is at most tracks).

I dunno, if the BoP is going to be so wild that after every update and at every different track a different car on a different week is EASILY quicker than the others, than I'll roll with it.

Then late into the evening out of nowhere the top time suddenly belonged to a 458 Ferrari. The driver? One orma Snow :lol:
When I was in AMS the team had me test the Audi R8 against META cars because they thought it was a hidden OP car with Snow putting it at the top of the leaderboards in Nurburgring one time :lol:

For gr.4, I have and have driven most of the cars. I may try a few quali laps with the meta to see if it suits my driving style. But I usually change cars every race or every other race. People seem to get confused in dailies when I'm in every race in a different car. In lobbies, I change cars every time, every track, and either use something I like, or that I think won't be competitive and try to make my way past people with raw pace. In gr.3 I tend to stick with the Corvette as I find myself very, very consistent in it. Metas are over rated. I'm here to have fun, it is just a game after all.

Clean accident free racing takes you far, but cant beat the meta. Top 5 in a race is possible in almost all cars.

I feel you bro. Representing Ford in manufacturers cup even though i know i wont compete. Have my nicest liveries in mustangs too. :sly::lol:

One can bee very competitive in gr3 'Tang on occasional tracks, but that gr4 mustang is just darn slow. Can barely brake in to top10 at any given race.. :indiff::cheers:

Oh yes, should have added this part. gr3 not so punishing, lol. But gr4 is where I more meant. And luckily there are other offerings too of course.

Driver points creates a disincentive for faster drivers to use anything other than the META. Even if the room only has 2 or 3 aliens but the one using the non-META finishes behind them, they can still lose a ton of DR.

Now, if there's a daily race combo I like and the times are spread out, I might try an oddball choice. I'm not an alien so no one follows my lead. :lol:

No. Let people do what they want. I won't comment on the Gr. 4 Megane situation, but in Gr. 2 and Gr. 3 at least, you can do just fine without conforming to the META. As you said, what matters most is being comfortable and having fun driving the car you choose.

I watched a stream FT NICO did for a FIA race the other day.He looked like he was reading a book,so calm ,so smooth.Made me rethink about how I race.I have already gone thru one wheel already.Also this thread has brought up some interesting ideas .Such has keeping notes on lap times and with what car.If we as ordinary mortals want to get faster we have to put more time and effortzz

I don't mind aliens, but I do mind people that use lag switches. That right there is a prime example of ruining someone's actual online experience (aside from people deliberately making contact with you).

WHOA! Didn't even know that such a thing existed, until I Googled it just now. I find it hard to understand why anyone would be so dishonourable as to use that...

:rolleyes:

The alien's times are just a goal to achieve. I rarely get closer than 4 seconds to them on most tracks.

I will run the Corvette I always run first, then try whatever meta car they used on the top 10 list, but I won't spend hours beating on either. I get to a plateau of my times and leave.

What I really hate about any of it is that its always a damn Megane Trophy on the list. Its a great balanced car but it shouldnt ALWAYS be most of the list.

VBR
WHOA! Didn't even know that such a thing existed, until I Googled it just now. I find it hard to understand why anyone would be so dishonourable as to use that...

Yup. I've seen it a number of times. In yesterday's Race A, a Brazilian player was clearly using it. Started near the bottom of the grid and finished 3rd (bouncing allover the place). Rating was S/S. I reported the turd, though I doubt that's going to stop him.

Yup. I've seen it a number of times. In yesterday's Race A, a Brazilian player was clearly using it. Started near the bottom of the grid and finished 3rd (bouncing allover the place). Rating was S/S. I reported the turd, though I doubt that's going to stop him.

In GT5/6 if I saw someone lagging I'd send them a polite message telling the they were lagging, & offer to help them improve their connection. If they didn't respond, they'd go straight on my PSN blocked list (that way they couldn't enter any lobby I was hosting ever again). It would be great if those on our blocked list were filtered out when match making for Sport Mode as well.

VBR
In GT5/6 if I saw someone lagging I'd send them a polite message telling the they were lagging, & offer to help them improve their connection. If they didn't respond, they'd go straight on my PSN blocked list (that way they couldn't enter any lobby I was hosting ever again). It would be great if those on our blocked list were filtered out when match making for Sport Mode as well.

He got called out by another player in the post-race chat. Of course, the turd is one of the first ones to leave the lobby.

VBR

Yes, used to happen in FIFA games all the time, you'd be winning easily and then the lag would start but only at crucial times like near your box so you couldn't do anything and they'd often score. Some even DDoS'ed their opponents until their internet crashed, it was that bad.

In GT it would harder to do when it's server based but there are other ways to manipulate your connection, some easier than others. The thing is lagging seems to be an advantage as your car punts people for you without you touching them on your screen (so no penalty) and your are very hard to pass what with you bouncing all over the track, it's pretty silly that PD just allows this, whether they are deliberately doing it or not.

They have the tech (given how Ovals have their own BoP) to track specify their BoP.

I would, however, dispute that the Balance would still not be properly addressed due to fuel and tyres like you mentioned even with a track specific BoP. Making full use of the pit lane setting that they have access to could relieve some of that particular headache but not completely. However, PD doesn't utilise it at all aside from setting refuel speed; which properly governed can give cars that are shocking on fuel a quicker pit exit. Yes it gives all cars that same buff, but to more economic cars it's a case of diminishing returns.

O for sure BoP doesn't solve the fuel and tyres, but at least it might bring a few more cars into the mix :D! Personally I'm not a fan of fuel and tyre wear in sprint races, I feel this is the first area that needs to separate from the real world racing but that's a whole different discussion :lol:.

People should do just like @Tidgney and lots of us, myself included do. Try out cars, then drive what they really like. it makes a grid so much more fun.

Do you want to know the craziest thing, I've just done a BoP test today and I've just been stunned by a car! Everyone really should just try out cars, figure out what best suits them, what they like (RCZ for me) or dislike (F-Types boring, sorry @OutlawQuadrnt :lol:) and have fun :D! The other good point made in this thread is that some drivers don't want to sacrifice DR, I've done that twice in manufacturers to no avail as well because of group 4 :(

I'd answer no, elite drivers are not ruining the game. It's a racing game why wouldn't you use whichever car is fastest? Having said that, there are days when I don't fancy the cut and thrust and will have a drive around in something other than the meta, I fancied the Gr4 Ferrari today but I was one and a bit secs a lap slower than in the Trophy, and I wasn't very fast in that!

I know this will get a lot of hate, but for me the so called "aliens" ruin the expreience/variaty we have in sport mode.
Why you ask? Well, just look at the Top 10 list in every daily race.

I'm well aware that some cars may be OP and its a neverending story with new (slightly) OP cars every update. But for me, the bigger problem is the faster guys who jump on them just to get the slight advantage (of maybe 0.1 to 0.5secs).
What follows is the sheep who think they have to use them too, to even be slightly competitive. Of course there are some exceptions, @TRL LIGHTNING is a good example, as he uses lots of underrated cars and owns the Top10 list most of the time. So you see 9 Meganes and one NSX on top.
If more of the fast guys would do that, we would see a more mixed field and would have more fun races. IMO :sly:

The last race I did, everyone and their mothers used a Megane or Lancer. I was the only one in a Citroen and could keep up easily. And why? Because I know the car and how to use it.
Most of the meta sheep just use what they see on the Top10 list, without any experience of the car and its brakingpoints etc.

I know this will never happen, as every game has this so called "meta" era. But one man can dream, right? And I will never join them and will be forever the special snowflake :P
I just hope more would join. Especially the faster guys, as they can influence the whole community the most.

I blame the sheep .

For me, I admit, I did buy a Megane because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I thought it was OK. I didn't think I was any faster in it. Just depends on the track.

For example, the other night on Lake Maggiore, I found myself being faster with the Audi TT Cup. Better cornering, handling, stability, etc. It was spin city for me in the Megane.

I try not to follow the "aliens" in my car choice. I try to use cars I think to work best with the track. For Example, Blue Moon Speedway, Group 3 race. I'm not using the Audit R8. Why? Because I feel it's length makes it tougher to take Turn 1 than in the Toyota Supra or Porsche.

Everyone really should just try out cars, figure out what best suits them, what they like (RCZ for me) or dislike (F-Types boring, sorry @OutlawQuadrnt :lol:) and have fun :D! The other good point made in this thread is that some drivers don't want to sacrifice DR, I've done that twice in manufacturers to no avail as well because of group 4 :(
Hey, now! I never said the F-types are fun. I even joked with one of my fellow Jag drivers that they aren't that popular because they're the META nowhere. :lol:

7133772178700402700_0.jpg

But for workhorses, they are quite nice to look at. I've used lesser cars in dailies before just to display great liveries out on the track.

I watched a stream FT NICO did for a FIA race the other day.He looked like he was reading a book,so calm ,so smooth.Made me rethink about how I race.I have already gone thru one wheel already.Also this thread has brought up some interesting ideas .Such has keeping notes on lap times and with what car.If we as ordinary mortals want to get faster we have to put more time and effortzz
I also love how he has no racing seat or anything, just an ordinary wooden chair :)

Hey, now! I never said the F-types are fun. I even joked with one of my fellow Jag drivers that they aren't that popular because they're the META nowhere. :lol:

But for workhorses, they are quite nice to look at. I've used lesser cars in dailies before just to display great liveries out on the track.

They do look good :), just boring to drive :P

For me, I admit, I did buy a Megane because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I thought it was OK. I didn't think I was any faster in it. Just depends on the track.

For example, the other night on Lake Maggiore, I found myself being faster with the Audi TT Cup. Better cornering, handling, stability, etc. It was spin city for me in the Megane.

I try not to follow the "aliens" in my car choice. I try to use cars I think to work best with the track. For Example, Blue Moon Speedway, Group 3 race. I'm not using the Audit R8. Why? Because I feel it's length makes it tougher to take Turn 1 than in the Toyota Supra or Porsche.
If you spun the Megane you were probably overdriving it and pushing too hard. That car is one of the easiest to drive in the whole game.

Back