do u think that playing gt3 has in anyway improved ur driving abilities in real life

• Thread starter tm2003
  • 115 comments
go east,
go east,
go east,

you encounter a large snake blocking the access to the bridge...

FECK - Always the stupid friggin' snake blocking the bridge :grumpy:

:lol:

We're seriously off-topic, but who cares!

Signs your customer support department hates your customers:
1. They spend three days programming an adventure game into the voicemail system: "You are in a forest. You require support. Press 8 to go north, 4 to go east, 6 to go west."

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
:lol:

We're seriously off-topic, but who cares!
What ?.. We are :D

Signs your customer support department hates your customers:
1. They spend three days programming an adventure game into the voicemail system: "You are in a forest. You require support. Press 8 to go north, 4 to go east, 6 to go west."
I've called them more than once. I think they're call Microsoft :mischievous: :mad:

edit: Very nice avatar btw..

Don't know... I become 18 in September... but I'm 100% sure I'll buy me a Japanese FR!
Such as a RX-7 Turbo II (FC3S), Nissan 200SX (1.8i 16V Turbo) (S14), Toyota Supra (3.0i V6 Turbo) (With the pop-up headlights) or something like that!! :mischievous:

Please don't. Spend a few years learning the stuff they can't teach you first.

And all those who think having a driving licence means you know how to drive - it doesn't. It means you have reached a standard sufficient to pass a driving test. It takes YEARS to learn how to drive, not days. I've been driving 8 years and I'm sure I don't know it all - and that is what I believe makes me a competant driver. If you believe that you are the best when you're 18, you deserve the accident you're about to have...

I payed GT3 for a little under a year before i started driving and when i 1st drove a car it came very easy to me. driving a car wit an AT tranny felt almost exactly like playn' da game (in AT or MT).
my car is a MT and it took some time fo me to learn that but driving a AT, i had that down perfectly the 2nd time i drove it.

Originally posted by milefile
So when people claim that video games affect people's behavior in real life I guess thay are right.
I think that has to be : "I agree"

/F

Originally posted by tm2003
well do u think that playing gt3 has improved any aspect of ur driving in real life

No, but its cool that the GT3 FF cars handle like my Turbo Hyundai at the limit (can you say Understeer). If you really want to improve your driving, buy a motorcycle. You'll notice stuff you never pay attention to in a car. (IMHO)

boy, milefile, you either have a very dry sense of humor or none at all, lol, just joking, man...my dad (who has never had a moving violation ticket in his life, 72 yrs. old right now), once told me about how he used to elude the local police by 4 wheel drifting his '52 MG thru the streets of Fontana, Calif. (he bought the MG in '54, sold it in '56 with a cracked engine block for $500, and yes, he wishes he still had it)...after completing GT 1 and spending a lot of time with GT 2, i found myself working at a job-site in a very rural so. virginia town called Pungo, couldn't help but think about Gran Turismo while i was running my '88 Jetta down the country roads...:D

Originally posted by craig
...after completing GT 1 and spending a lot of time with GT 2, i found myself working at a job-site in a very rural so. virginia town called Pungo, couldn't help but think about Gran Turismo while i was running my '88 Jetta down the country roads...:D

Small World! You talking about Pungo, near VA Beach? I'm less than 2 hours away near Petersburg. If you're looking for a great weekend of driving, take Rte. 58 west to Abingdon. We used to run it in a buddy's 944. Parts of it are like a WRC tarmac event.

Originally posted by milefile
So when people claim that video games affect people's behavior in real life I guess thay are right.

Well, I've played a lot of GTA3 and GTA Vice City, and I certainly don't act out any of the things I've done in those games, so I guess the response is 'sometimes'.

Originally posted by Flerbizky
Wow.. An SM modding amother SM. THAT has to be a first.. You guys crack me up :D

Heh - I wasn't modding him - just going along with the gag. I lost so much of my life to that game (watching that damn crack work its way across the windscreen...).

Yeh, I play a lot of Vice City, and i never go out and kill people. I hate it when lazy parents always blame it on videogames when their kids go psycho and kill people.

Originally posted by DODGE the VIPER
Yeh, I play a lot of Vice City, and i never go out and kill people. I hate it when lazy parents always blame it on videogames when their kids go psycho and kill people.

I totally agree with you the viper, i find that videogames for me are a way to relax:D

But abiut the driving ability i think it has..... i just got my license last thursday and i think it helped becasue i can understand like what lines to follow around turns and whatnot. :D

Originally posted by vat_man
I lost so much of my life to that game (watching that damn crack work its way across the windscreen...).

Are we talking about the infamous stuntcar racer?

Crack monitoring was vital, but what the hell were the holes for?

Heh, no it hasn't influenced my real life driving.

Ok ok, occasionaly I drive 10mph over the usual speed limit.

Originally posted by EliteRacer

Not quite old enough for a car yet ....

But when you are you'll see there are old farts going 15 mph under the speed limit and next to them is a truck making a turn and as soon as you get past that there's a red light where the guy you flew past a half mile back will be sitting right next to you again. I seriously think it's hillarious that anyone could talk about "lines" in the context of public traffic.

Originally posted by MistaY
Are we talking about the infamous stuntcar racer?

Crack monitoring was vital, but what the hell were the holes for?

Indeedy - you mean the holes in the roll bar on the top right? No idea.

I swear you could have holes all the way across and the car would still run the same. You used to get them when you hit a jump too hard, I think.

Argh, I want to play that game now. :grumpy:

dodge the viper i'm with you! i am 15 and my birthsay is august and can't wait. i am probably getting a mitsubishi 3000GT...not sure on the year yet, still looking.

i know you're sceptical, milefile, but when i spend a lot of time on this game i notice my driving reflexes and sense of "car balance" is improved when i'm driving...i really think it helps with accident evasion (you know, when some idiot does something rediculously stupid and you make it through without a scratch and say "ho hum")

For me, the true learning of how to drive well came in the two years when I delivered pizza.
This was back in the "30 minutes or it's free" days.
You will not believe how many NIMRODS got in front of me and slowed to a crawl, How many times I was followed by suspicious characters, etc.
I also learned how to use the "flow of traffic" to go slow and make better time.
Watch sometime. The IDIOT that is weaving in and out, goosing the throttle to pass and in general, acting a fool and being a major hazard, arrives only a bout thirty seconds before you do, and if it's stop light to stop light he has to stop, while you lose no momentum.
It's a much more pleasant drive, believe me.
I drive a bit slower than my wife, but I can get from one side of Leavenworth to the other quite a bit more quickly, simply by avoiding the big traffic areas, and the traditional "tangle" spots.

Originally posted by Acidman
I totally agree with you the viper, i find that videogames for me are a way to relax:D

But abiut the driving ability i think it has..... i just got my license last thursday and i think it helped becasue i can understand like what lines to follow around turns and whatnot. :D

Did your license test involve doing a lap of Laguna in 1.22 or complex string in 4 minutes flat ?

Originally posted by Mustang-man
It made it a lot easier for me to learn to drive. Mum said that it took her ages to learn, and it only took me a few days.

Let's be serious. No, you did not learn how to drive in a few days. Driving takes years of practice. Sure, maybe you got the mechanics down in a few days. But real learning to drive takes years.

Originally posted by Gil
I also learned how to use the "flow of traffic" to go slow and make better time.
Watch sometime. The IDIOT that is weaving in and out, goosing the throttle to pass and in general, acting a fool and being a major hazard, arrives only a bout thirty seconds before you do, and if it's stop light to stop light he has to stop, while you lose no momentum.
It's a much more pleasant drive, believe me.

maybe they aren't trying to get to their destination faster, maybe they're just trying to have a little fun... whether it be hazardous or not is another story

Back