do u think that playing gt3 has in anyway improved ur driving abilities in real life

• Thread starter tm2003
  • 115 comments
Originally posted by phattboy
HOLY MOLY that you just remembered that you need to post pictures of your Cruiser right? :mischievous:

Surely you didn't mean that: HOLY MOLY you're old?:mischievous:

phattboy

yeah....uh.... of course.....:D

I like to think that GT3 helps when me race better. On the night before I go to my Autocross event I play a couple of hours worth with the F1 cars. I use the F1 cars because they feel a bit more like the speed of an autocross run. It feels like it since the autocross tracks are so small much like how the F1 cars feel so fast for the game tracks.

I agree with flat out buying a 'non-sporty car' does make you chill out a lot more plus other road users behave better towards you. Drive a sporty car and a lot of people think (especialy here in the UK) ''oh I'm gonna slow them down'' and deliberately block you this goes for aggresive driving too I'm convinced in traffic it slows you down by tailgating changeing lanes etc.. :irked:

I know this will sound a bit strange, but I drive GT3 for vicarious reasons, since I have never owned a car. I will be 50 years old this year and have had my license since I turned of age. I rent cars when necessary, though.

So, I use the game to keep me in touch with reality on the streets, as much as it can do that. This is one reason why I am interested in getting a wheel, too.

I paid attention to the earlier comment about the difference of driving at high speed and street driving, but GT is the only game that has any link with real driving to which I have access. Believe me, though, when I am behind the wheel of a car, I don't drive anywhere near like I do in the game.

Having said this, I enjoy both versions of driving, have never had a speeding or parking ticket and have never been in any sort of accident.

Cheers,

MasterGT

I suppose I use GT3 to improve my reaction time to what the other cars are doing, the strategy of thinking ahead to what the other drivers are going to do, and stituation of your surroundings. I can't say it does improve my driving because I don't have the feeling of the car. You cannot get an idea of true control like you can in real driving. Knowing how far to push the car till the tires break lose for instance. Most of the time the only thing I do get is a bad case of the "right foot syndrome".

Originally posted by MasterGT
I know this will sound a bit strange, but I drive GT3 for vicarious reasons, since I have never owned a car. I will be 50 years old this year and have had my license since I turned of age. I rent cars when necessary, though.

So, I use the game to keep me in touch with reality on the streets, as much as it can do that. This is one reason why I am interested in getting a wheel, too.

I paid attention to the earlier comment about the difference of driving at high speed and street driving, but GT is the only game that has any link with real driving to which I have access. Believe me, though, when I am behind the wheel of a car, I don't drive anywhere near like I do in the game.

Having said this, I enjoy both versions of driving, have never had a speeding or parking ticket and have never been in any sort of accident.

Cheers,

MasterGT

Now there is a darned interesting story and one I didn't expect.

By the way, you won't be 50... you'll be 49.95 + tax ;)

phattboy

Originally posted by phattboy
Now there is a darned interesting story and one I didn't expect.

By the way, you won't be 50... you'll be 49.95 + tax ;)

phattboy

That's me, full of surprises.

I am already 49 7/12ths of the way to 50 and I don't want to get short changed of the grand total. :D

Cheers,

MasterGT

Hmmm, lemme see... I apex corners a bit more, and I tend to corner a bit fast...

...but I drive within the flow of traffic (everyone crawls I crawl everyone does the limit I do the limit everyone drives like they're in an enduro so do I)...

I think I react better during tough situations. Like the other day in the rain I gased too hard around a corner and my back end got out from under me. I countersteered a little and got it backtogether. I bet it looked badass but it scared the **** out of me. I don't like it when the car does things that I don't make it do.

my goodness. how long has it been since i last posted on this site? this thread is still listed as "new" on my "my gtplanet" yet the last post was in may :s

i haven't forgotten about you guys though, in fact i think about you almost every day when the mailbox shows that i have unread posts in gtplanet. so here i am ^__^

im sure i mentioned that i had bought a nissan 200sx a few months ago. well that's sold now, for the very reasons that tie into this thread...

whenever i sat behind the wheel it felt like a racecar. it felt like it was whispering into my ear "faster, go faster, you know you can" and omg COULD it... i was doing 50 in 30 zones regulary, and even made a 0-110mph video in a 40 zone :s i never really had any close calls with accidents because the car could out-accelerate all traffic, and brake like a mofo. but i realised that sooner or later i wouldn't be so lucky. i took an off camber curve that had a limit of 40 at around 55, and there was a bus on the corner too, the car felt nervous, and i felt like those trees were looking a bit too much like they wanted to embrace my car. so i tried to relax. i couldn't though, i just couldn't find a way to drive the car slowly. i thought maybe it was the stress of work getting to me but whenever i drove my parents' car it was totally cool. i could happily do 40mph on a 40mph zone and not worry about anything.

i think an automatic gearbox has a LOT to do with it. i drove my other car for a while, a 1.3 astra, estate. with it i could have some REAL fun and stay within limits. mmmrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr shift mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 3rd gear SHIFT! brrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 4th gear, FLOOR THE ACCELERATOR... then take a look at the speedo and im doing 41mph... in the nissan i'd be touching 115mph :/

i also found that although still very dangerous, someone with a slow car could out-manoevre anyone with 'good knowledge of traffic'. more experienced drivers might be able to attest to this. basically anyone can floor a car on a straight and max it out. but to see opportunities in a row of cars, to know which lanes are going to slow down at which points, requires not only knowledge of the local roads, but skill, nerve, mastery of your own car AND quick reflexes. it's almost as exciting as speeding without the fear. it's still dangerous, but totally legal.

lol, i do go on a bit don't i? well what im trying to say is that i sold my nissan because i knew either it had to go, or my life soon would. any car with more than 200hp and a weight lower than 1500kg belongs in one place, the racetrack, (or the motorway, since i find nothing wrong with high speed runs on roads built for this purpose). i would love to get myself a porsche gt3rs, or something similar, and take it to a track every few weeks. but i dont have the money for that yet.

don't speed in the city, if you find that you do, get yourself an automatic.

hahahahahahaha

:) 👍

Now that's a honest reply! 👍

I live very close to germany and therefor I flat-out my toyota on several occasions...This is fun, but my car is not that fast.

I think nightmage82 is right in saying that GT is making you better a better driver, but a good percentage of that image is only in your head. Not in your "hands, feet & brain", actually controlling your real life car...

So, if you can enjoy the lines you learn from GT in an low powered car in real life

👍

If you think in playing GT you now can safely upgrade to powerful cars.. 👎

And remember, also I am not god, i too like to speed around a round about :)

as for me, i would say that it helped me, well, some. one would be banking on high speeds, where you have to use the best line. this has come in handy for me in overtaking cars slower than me in a curve. another is engine braking, which i use in stops and on turning, which lessens the use of the brakes (and saves brake pads :) ) um, can i include rev limiting? to save gas....

I am quite sure GT has given me a better sence of driving. On a lads trip to Greece we all went go carting which i'd never donebefore , and came away with 2 podium finishes thanks to the real driving simulator :sly:

we'll a little on and off topic chat cool, i've had my license 11 years but have been driving since i was 16 and i would have to say that my time spent with GT3 has made a marginal difference at best with real life driving only helped with cornering thats it, as far as speed goes not a chance with the car i drive it's a tank it's 5700 lbs and it has 310 hp and not to metion that it's almost 20 years old. But i've taken the liberty of beefing up the suspension a little and added an ex-cop cruiser anti-sway bar to limit the amount of body roll it had. Having said that until you know your car and how far you can safely push it you can still have fun and be legal at the same time but experience take all i've had my fast days now i'm just a crusier. CHEERS AND HAPPY MOTORING.

ive had my leaners for 5 months now and it hasnt really infulenced my driving, i mean, i cant really do anything with my dad in the car, he would kill me. i can floor it here and there but i get told to settle down :'( ITS NOR FAIR! i want m P's dammit.

Soarer
ahh haa suck BAR-Zonda i get to go on the race track and i have my Ls to. AHHHH HAAAA
Was this constructive or helpful? Unless you two are very very good friends, don't post anything like this again... and if you are good friends, think twice before you do, or use a PRivate Message.

I think he's saying it tought him more about his car than he knew before, but driving always came natural to him anyway. That was a tough one. :lol:

icemanshooter23
I think he's saying it tought him more about his car than he knew before, but driving always came natural to him anyway. That was a tough one. :lol:

Oh. Thats much clearer.

To be honest, I'm not sure it taught me too much, especially since all of the cars I ever drove in England were FWD, even though a 2.0 litre VTEC Honda Accord rental car is good fun to bounce off the rev limiter at 65 MPH in 2nd gear on a Motorway-on ramp!! And 0-60 in 7.5s in a Citroen AX GT (the size of a shopping cart!!!) is totally fun!!!

Then I bought a Miata (MX-5) in America, my first LHD manual & first RWD!!! (having owned a succession of company provided, American automatic land barges, Chrysler Concorde, Dogde Insipid :dopey: err Intrepid (which I still have & hate!), and all of the rental cars here which are automatics :yuck: ) GT3 has taught me everything I need to know about RWD finesse, a blip of the throttle and a little countersteer coming out of a sharp bend, step out the tail & WOW! :) That, I can say, I wouldn't have thought of attempting unless I knew what to expect having driven some of the more evil tail-happy RWD FR cars in GT3 :dopey: (and GT & GT2 for that matter!)

There is a significant difference though, and one that I feel was missed, in another recent thread regarding real-life F1 time vs GT3 F1 times round Monaco. When you're driving in real-life, you hold your life in your hands, (and feet!) if you touch a wall at 65mph, chances are you're a gonner. In GT3 you can push the limit more, if you scrape a wall at 180mph, you lose a couple of mph, but not wheels, paint, bodywork, or more importantly body-parts (human or otherwise!)

Just remember that! And fear the idiot doing 85mph in an SUV while talking on his cellphone, trying to adjust the stereo and keep his wife in the passenger seat and 3 kids in the back happy, simultaneously........ he'll be the death of ya!

Best bit of driving advice I ever got was from my Grandad...."Treat everyone else on the road as an idiot. Then you'll be fine!" :lol: He learnt to drive in 1935 and is still driving a stick shift at 85 years old, never had an accident....speaks for itself really!

some good points raised there. and some good advice coming from this thread too.

im starting to think that we are ALL good drivers cause we love cars. we feel like we understand them and stuff. we are good at GT3 and we are good at driving too. one is not necessarily a consequence of the other.

although what smallhorses said about the countersteer must be true. it's never taken me by surprise, and racing lines seem to come more naturally for me when im driving home from work lol.

though i dont think any F1 driver feels scared when they are taking a bend at 190mph. if u do then u lose the race, or u might even crash cause of it. u need to block that out of ur mind and im sure it's more like gt3 for them than we think.

tm2003
well do u think that playing gt3 has improved any aspect of ur driving in real life

Umm, no. I don't drive race cars for a living or anything else. To be honest it's made it a little more dangerous if anything there have been times when I've just finished with GT3 and I go tearing off in my old car and go belting down the road flying past the traffic calming chicane and think, "hang on, slow down, this isn't a game, this is real life! You aren't playing GT3 now! If you crash the car it's gonna hurt!"

Back