• Domestics

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Imports

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Both

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Rat Bastid
The power's OK, but not when compared to the MPG. I'm thinking with '98 tech., they should have gotten 300 HP for that gas mileage. Look at the Escalade (sp?); 6.0L, 345 HP & I think similar mileage to the Jeep. Granted, it's a totally new design, but still.....

Good point - those Jeeps were damn thirsty. Even current ones achieve the 20's. In fact, the only reason Jeep dropped the engine was the fuel economy - they haven't been back around 5.9L since.

The 4.7 appears to be a good engine. I don't know why Mother Mopar barely bothered to put the 360 on a flow bench to figure out a new induction system to bring this old warrior up-to-date & as a cheaper alternative to the new Hemi. I wonder if the new G.C. will ever get it (the Hemi). I'll check the Dodge site for the current MPG on these engines.

The 4.7 appears to be a good engine. I don't know why Mother Mopar barely bothered to put the 360 on a flow bench to figure out a new induction system to bring this old warrior up-to-date & as a cheaper alternative to the new Hemi. I wonder if the new G.C. will ever get it (the Hemi).
That'd be cool, wouldn't it? Probably not going to happen, though - not many Jeep-buying soccer moms know what a Hemi is, let alone want one.

Man, it is way past my bedtime. But I got some work done while GTP did their business (It's nice to work at home). Anyway, I went to the Dodge & Jeep sites. I "built" a Wrangler Sport about 6 weeks ago & I got all the info I wanted, but I think they changed some things. I tried to "build" a Ram pickup, apparrently the 5.9 is still available but I couldn't find any output figures. Nothing on the Hemi, either except the MPG; 12/18. Wait, I think HP was quoted @ 345.
At the Jeep site, I discovered the G.C. has a 4.7 w/265 HP available. Couldn't find any MPG figures, though & I was getting impatient. The "Ask Jeeves" search on these sites was no help to me, either.:rolleyes: No wonder I only use Yahoo or google!

Originally posted by M5Power
That'd be cool, wouldn't it? Probably not going to happen, though - not many Jeep-buying soccer moms know what a Hemi is, let alone want one.
Yeah but all they do is pick the color and maybe have a say in the model. Aside from that they tend to not even go to the dealer. I'd get one for my wife and she'd never even know or care.

Originally posted by milefile
Yeah but all they do is pick the color and maybe have a say in the model. Aside from that they tend to not even go to the dealer. I'd get one for my wife and she'd never even know or care.

:lol:

They probably just pick the colour - everybody knows they want the Limited. There's two great special editions (Freedom and Overland) out, but only men are dumb enough to purchase those since they're basically high-priced Limiteds, just like only men are dumb enough to purchase every other Grand Cherokee special edition (Orvis, TSi, 5.9 Limited).

Originally posted by mayorbill11
Your 307 makes 250hp? What in the hell did you do to it?

On paper, it's closer to 270. Edelbrock 650 carb, Performer intake, Mondello street cam, Crane valvetrain, 9.0-to-1 compression, heads ported & polished, Hedman hedders, 2 1/2 exhaust, Hooker mufflers, complete MSD set-up, SplitFire platinum plugs...... That about covers it. Please don't ask about grinds, rocker ratios, timing etc. I don't remember & I'd hate to have to dig out the paperwork.

Hey Doug, is it just me, or does that new Mitsu. SUV look like a squashed Grand Cherokee?

It does have Grand Cherokee in it, among other things - I think it's a blatant ripoff of the Volvo XC90 with some extra cladding from some angles.

Regardless of the design, the intent is obvious - they want to gobble up poor Jeep's market share! :(

Mitsubishi has a good rep w/their 4x4s, but it pales in comparison to that of the Jeep. Even though they've had an aggressive ad campaign of late, Jeeps are still flying out of the lots every day.
I saw a fugly H2 one night, it was turning towards me & I saw the grille & instantly thought GC. Only after the third glance did it sink in. I know Jeep lost that lawsuit, but once a buyer has a good look at the H2 & the price, I think they'll buy a GC after all! GM screwed up with this "subliminal advertising", I think. :lol:

Even though they've had an aggressive ad campaign of late, Jeeps are still flying out of the lots every day.

Especially out here - two of the most popular non-pickups in the west are Jeep Grand Cherokees and Subaru Outbacks. It seems at least everybody's got one. The competition is really catching up to Jeep, but the name assures them popularity.

I saw a fugly H2 one night, it was turning towards me & I saw the grille & instantly thought GC. Only after the third glance did it sink in. I know Jeep lost that lawsuit, but once a buyer has a good look at the H2 & the price, I think they'll buy a GC after all! GM screwed up with this "subliminal advertising", I think. :lol:

The lawsuit was really obvious - Jeep trademarked the grille, then General Motors stole it. Since the Wrangler and H2 are in competition in the true-offroader class, something should've been done.

Dude, you missed the point of the 2nd. paragraph which you quoted.
Besides, the H2 competes w/ the GC in size & price. How many people are gonna drop $50K on an H2 & bang it around on the trails, anyway?
The Wrangler Sport I "built" is $25K & that's with extra skid plates, brush guards & all. Ready to hit the trails! And that's 85% of what I see at the trails on the weekends, Jeeps!

Dude, you missed the point of the 2nd. paragraph which you quoted.

No, I just didn't quote selectively like I usually do.

Besides, the H2 competes w/ the GC in size & price. How many people are gonna drop 50K on an H2 & bang it around on the trails, anyway?

Few. But Jeep could've made that argument.

The Wrangler Sport I "built" is 25K & that's with extra skid plates, brush guards & all. Ready to hit the trails! And that's 85% of what I see at the trails on the weekends, Jeeps!

What else is there? The only other real off-roaders are the Land Rover Discovery and Defender, Range Rover, Hummer, Nissan Xterra S/C and Mitsubishi Montero - aside from all Jeeps, that is.

Domestics or Imports? Hmm. I actually appreciate women from all parts of the world.

Cars too, if they are "up to snuff".
Some British cars, and Italian cars are "sexy" (as are their women) and require a good bit of indulgence (as do ALL women), if they are to perform at their peak.

Originally posted by Chris Hendriks
i like both.theres some really good imports and some really good domestics.

Yeah, that's about the size of it, isn't it? And it also depends upon your location.

i prefer domestic. its more expensive but id prefer the rumble of a nice supercharged v8 to a rubberband 4 banger rice burner. i see all these crappy front wheel drive 4 cylinder pieces of crap and i just wanna get out there with a nice '69 chevelle and kick some ass. you cant even get a good burnout with a front wheel drive. well thats what i think. about the only foreign cars i like are bmw or mercedes. mostly mercedes.

Hm. Some adore domestic, bash imports, respect the German race. While others adore imports, bash domestic, yet still respect the Germans. JUST HOW MANY OF THESE PEOPLE CAN YOU COUNT!!!!???!?!?!?!? WHAT'S WITH THE GERMANS!???

Originally posted by 19xx
Hm. Some adore domestic, bash imports, respect the German race. While others adore imports, bash domestic, yet still respect the Germans. JUST HOW MANY OF THESE PEOPLE CAN YOU COUNT!!!!???!?!?!?!? WHAT'S WITH THE GERMANS!???

the germans make a good car. thats why cadilac and all the other american luxery cars are good cause theyre building them around german engineering now.

Originally posted by SS69
the germans make a good car. thats why cadilac and all the other american luxery cars are good cause theyre building them around german engineering now.

...even though Europe wants no part of the CTS.

Back