Don't screw this up Turn 10!

• Thread starter CnPx
  • 279 comments
"Tune into Forza Monthly this Thursday, June 16 on our official Twitch and YouTube channels when Forza Motorsport Creative Director Chris Esaki will dive into what you see in the trailer."

Little car list in this article: https://forza.net/news/forza-motorsport-the-most-technically-advanced-racing-game-ever-made

• 2018 Acura #36 Gradient Racing NSX GT3 (New to Forza)
  • 2020 Acura #6 ARX-05 DPi (New to Forza)
  • 1958 Aston Martin DBR1
  • 2017 Aston Martin Aston Martin Racing V12 Vantage GT3 #7
  • 2018 Audi #44 R8 LMS GT3
  • 2021 Audi RS e-tron GT (New to Forza)
  • 2017 BMW #24 BMW Team RLL M6 GTLM
  • 2018 BMW #1 BMW M Motorsport M8 GTE
  • 2019 Brabham BT62 (New to Forza)
  • 2021 Cadillac #31 Whelen Racing DPi-V.R (New to Forza)
  • 1966 Chaparral #66 Chaparral Cars 2E
  • 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Super Sport Coupe
  • 2020 Chevrolet #3 Corvette Racing C8.R (New to Forza)
  • 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupé
  • 1969 Dodge Charger R/T
  • 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon
  • 1967 Eagle-Weslake T1G
  • 1967 Ferrari #24 Ferrari Spa 330 P4
  • 1966 Ford #2 GT40 Mk II Le Mans
  • 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302
  • 2018 Formula Drift #64 Nissan 370Z
  • 2020 Formula Drift #151 Toyota GR Supra
  • 2019 Ginetta #6 Team LNT Ginetta G60-LT-P1 (New to Forza)
  • 1967 Honda RA300
  • 2020 Koenigsegg Jesko
  • 2018 Lamborghini #63 Squadra Corse Huracán Super Trofeo Evo (New to Forza)
  • 2020 Lamborghini Huracan EVO
  • 1991 Mazda #55 Mazda 787B
  • 1966 McLaren M2B
  • 2019 McLaren Senna GTR (New to Forza)
  • 2018 Mercedes-AMG GT3 (New to Forza)
  • 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator
  • 2016 NIO EP9
  • 2019 Nissan 370Z Nismo
  • 2020 Nissan GT-R NISMO (R35)
  • 2017 Porsche #911 Porsche GT Team 911 RSR
  • 2021 Porsche 911 GT3

Last edited:
T10 seems to have gone back about 20 years in history during the development of FM8.
In all seriousness, the Hakone Circuit scene looks like the false image of Japan that has been portrayed in typical Western games over 20 years ago.
If they were a studio not familiar with Japan, I would not have thought to condemn them.
But they were the team that created the wonderful Japanese motif fantasy circuits from FM1 to FM4, and both Fujimi Kaido and Tokyo Circuit were more like real Japan than this circuit.
How could they have done such a terrible portrayal in this era?

Are the staff members who created the golden age of Forza no longer with us?

B07D29C1-4A33-4F5A-82E7-975271B1A5EF.jpeg

Ray Tracing actually makes the game look worse

Rewatching the trailer and I found my first "uh-oh" moment: I know that it's just to show things off, but if they structure their career mode in a way that has me racing a 1950s Aston-Martin against a mid-'60s Chaparral in any serious capacity as some general mish-mash of an "old car championship" I'm going to be disappointed, Gimme a whole field of late '50s cars to race against, put together a good assemblage of Can-Am monsters, but don't try and homologate them to compete against each other because it'll just feel off.

All looks pretty nice so far.
T10 seems to have gone back about 20 years in history during the development of FM8.
In all seriousness, the Hakone Circuit scene looks like the false image of Japan that has been portrayed in typical Western games over 20 years ago.
If they were a studio not familiar with Japan, I would not have thought to condemn them.
But they were the team that created the wonderful Japanese motif fantasy circuits from FM1 to FM4, and both Fujimi Kaido and Tokyo Circuit were more like real Japan than this circuit.
How could they have done such a terrible portrayal in this era?

Are the staff members who created the golden age of Forza no longer with us?
What exactly are you basing this off?

While it looks amazing and I'm happy to see we will finally be able to strategize our races, I can't help but feel dissapointed that all the modern racecars will be severely outdated by the time it comes out.

While it looks amazing and I'm happy to see we will finally be able to strategize our races, I can't help but feel dissapointed that all the modern racecars will be severely outdated by the time it comes out.
I'm not...entirely sure that will be an issue. I know what you mean, or at least I think I do, but there's always been a place for just about everything in FM. And we are getting some newer race cars, and even a few returning names from FM4...unless I misread names for the latter.

Rewatching the trailer and I found my first "uh-oh" moment: I know that it's just to show things off, but if they structure their career mode in a way that has me racing a 1950s Aston-Martin against a mid-'60s Chaparral in any serious capacity as some general mish-mash of an "old car championship" I'm going to be disappointed, Gimme a whole field of late '50s cars to race against, put together a good assemblage of Can-Am monsters, but don't try and homologate them to compete against each other because it'll just feel off.
I wouldn't put much stock into that, I think it was done purely to show a variety of cars at the same time they were showing off the time of day and track etc. At least I wouldn't worry at this stage, previous games including Forza and Gran Turismo have done such things enough times.

Last edited:
All looks pretty nice so far.

What exactly are you basing this off?
Around 58 seconds in the trailer. Camera from above Hakone Circuit with Japanese Garden as infield.
And some screenshots that are also posted in this thread. (such as the one of Koenigsegg in light blue)

It is difficult to describe the sense of discomfort conveyed by these to someone who does not live in Japan, but the first is like a Western movie style cityscape suddenly appearing in the infield of an American fantasy circuit, to use an analogy.

The second is...how can I describe it? To begin with, the language on the sign in this screenshot is so unintelligible that none of my other friends (all Japanese, of course), including myself, can understand it.

This was not the case at all at Fujimi Kaido and Tokyo Circuit in FM1, or at the New Fujimi Kaido in FM3.
This is the reason why I am so puzzled and perplexed.

I'm with you on that one. They have clearly invested in bringing in new machinery like the DPIs, GTDs and the Ginetta LMP1. But indeed, most of these cars will have been replaced by the time Forza Motorsport gets released in spring 2023. The Ginetta LMP1 is an odd one to include though as it didn't even finish the 2019 season. I've actually seen this car, in the pits at Spa but it didn't race as they had to withdraw for what I believe were financial issues.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to seeing more of Forza Motorsport during the months to come :)

IMG_6337.JPG

I wouldn't put much stock into that, I think it was done purely to show a variety of cars at the same time they were showing off the time of day and track etc. At least I wouldn't worry at this stage, previous games including Forza and Gran Turismo have done such things enough times.
They literally had a drift supra pull out of the pits and join the Dpi on track. It's definitely for showcasing purposes and not indicative of the categories.

I'm not...entirely sure that will be an issue. I know what you mean, or at least I think I do, but there's always been a place for just about everything in FM. And we are getting some newer race cars, and even a few returning names from FM4...unless I misread names for the latter.
I mean stuff like the DPi's and GT3 cars. In fact, most of the GT3/GTE we've seen in the trailer are already old and have been replaced by newer versions or completely different models. And while yes, we'll probably get more cars down the line, the old annoying Forza trope of mixing and matching cars from the same category despite some being 5-6 years outdated comes back.

Last edited:
I feel that no matter what they showed people were ready to criticize it.

Around 58 seconds in the trailer. Camera from above Hakone Circuit with Japanese Garden as infield.
And some screenshots that are also posted in this thread. (such as the one of Koenigsegg in light blue)

It is difficult to describe the sense of discomfort conveyed by these to someone who does not live in Japan, but the first is like a Western movie style cityscape suddenly appearing in the infield of an American fantasy circuit, to use an analogy.

The second is...how can I describe it? To begin with, the language on the sign in this screenshot is so unintelligible that none of my other friends (all Japanese, of course), including myself, can understand it.

This was not the case at all at Fujimi Kaido and Tokyo Circuit in FM1, or at the New Fujimi Kaido in FM3.
This is the reason why I am so puzzled and perplexed.
So we can see just a tiny little portion of the track and apparently the entire track is some kind of racist Japanese theme park?

Last edited:
I feel that no matter what they showed people were ready to criticize it.
Absolutely. But I also think that things like what @-Fred- raises here are fair. Forza will likely continue with the mixing of different classes of cars and different generations within a single class.

Anyway, this trailer is seriously impressive. And given the amount of time between now and release, I am pretty sure that this new Forza Motorsport will knock it out of the park :)

Ummm....you guys do realize the Creative Director is Japanese-American, Chris Esaki. I'm sure he will discuss this at the next Forza meeting as the top priority. ANYWAY, I, for sure, wanted a new Japanese track, especially after seeing the great global tracks in DriveClub. Time of Day/Weather on every track! Remember when they tried the whole "well it doesn't rain in Dubai" excuse? I guess they realized it's videogames, doesn't have to be realistic.

Stoked for this game!!

Absolutely. But I also think that things like what @-Fred- raises here are fair. Forza will likely continue with the mixing of different classes of cars and different generations within a single class.

Anyway, this trailer is seriously impressive. And given the amount of time between now and release, I am pretty sure that this new Forza Motorsport will knock it out of the park :)
Forza has had plenty of in-depth filter systems and categories for separating cars beyond classes for a while now.

Forza has had plenty of in-depth filter systems and categories for separating cars beyond classes for a while now.
While there is definitely a lot you can adjust in free player in Forza Motorsport 7, it doesn't fully allow you to pick all the cars you want on the grid.

But I'm talking more about career mode where cars are all morphed into one performance window that brings together GTE, GT3 and even GT1, GT4 and Super GT cars. I just hope that they address that with the new game because with the cars they have all the potential is there.

Overall I thought it was a positive show.

The biggest thing is weather and day/night cycle on every track... which is something GT7 not only lacks, but also will continue to lack unless they start working much faster. If anything it exposes how terrible the decision to release a PS4 port was. I think it's a given we'll see a GT8 at some point, because Sony won't want to stay behind.

Then there's the less important details. Track conditions changing is interesting, but it seems to be visual only. Damage is fluff. I'm also amused to see they did decide to waste processing power on raytracing and lakes on Maple Valley... then showed blurred reflections. It's a sim, focus on where it matters and leave the bells and whistles to Horizon.

Anyway, as usual with proper racing games, it'll all depend on how it plays, not so much how it looks. Project Cars 2 had all this stuff years ago and was a deeper game than FM ever was, but Project Cars is dead. T10 has a history of overpromising and underdelivering, as we all remember from FM7.

Last edited:
Overall I thought it was a positive show.

The biggest thing is weather and day/night cycle on every track... which is something GT7 not only lacks, but also will continue to lack unless they start working much faster. If anything it exposes how terrible the decision to release a PS4 port was. I think it's a given we'll see a GT8 at some point, because Sony won't want to stay behind.

Then there's the less important details. Track conditions changing is interesting, but it seems to be visual only. Damage is fluff. I'm also amused to see they did decide to waste processing power on raytracing and lakes on Maple Valley... then showed blurred reflections. It's a sim, focus on where it matters and leave the bells and whistles to Horizon.

Anyway, as usual with proper racing games, it'll all depend on how it plays, not so much how it looks. Project Cars 2 had all this stuff years ago and was a deeper game than FM ever was, but Project Cars is dead. T10 has a history of overpromising and underdelivering, as we all remember from FM7.
They literally said during the demonstration that time of day effects track temperatures and directly effects tire traction.

Not sure why you guys expect damage modeling beyond this; car manufacturers will not allow it.

It's unfortunate what happened to Project Cars.

Outside of ACC, I don't think I've seen Kyalami in a racing game since the early 2000s.
Technically it does exist in a recent bike game. Great track.

Other than that, reserving judgement until more info. Car list is a bit uninspring thus far, glad to see DPi's but yeah, just in time to be replaced. Kind of a lot of same old, same old in there which leads me to believe our "deeper and more authentic experience" may yet come to the same old, same old but now with qualifying.

@FordGTGuy with regards to damage, remember Shift 2?

Last edited:
Technically it does exist in a recent bike game. Great track.

Other than that, reserving judgement until more info. Car list is a bit uninspring thus far, glad to see DPi's but yeah, just in time to be replaced. Kind of a lot of same old, same old in there which leads me to believe our "deeper and more authentic experience" may yet come to the same old, same old but now with qualifying.

@FordGTGuy with regards to damage, remember Shift 2?
Doesn't matter what Shift 2 did, it depends on the manufacturers in the game and what they allow in order to be licensed into the game.

Well, you asked what people expected, flying bodywork like in S2 is the answer. Cabins that stay intact is fine but losing wings, wheels, bumpers and nosecones should be a thing.
I'm sure Turn 10 would love to have damage as in-depth and destructive as possible.

It's a miracle that they were able to convince Ferrari to allow cars to be painted and have vinyls.

Last edited:
I'm sure Turn 10 would love to have damage as in-depth and destructive as possible.

It's a miracle that they were able to convince Ferrari to allow cars to be painted and have vinyls.
I think I remember reading it was Mercedes who didn't want any damage whatsoever a few years back. I believe most are aware of the reasons, doesn't mean we have to like it. More important to me is actually collision physics. Most games treat the cars as a solid physical mass with no give, which obviously makes contact far more messy than it should be. Would like to see some crush and crumple zones accounted for, would make tight racing a lot better and more realistic. One of my secret hopes I'd like to see addressed.

I think I remember reading it was Mercedes who didn't want any damage whatsoever a few years back. I believe most are aware of the reasons, doesn't mean we have to like it. More important to me is actually collision physics. Most games treat the cars as a solid physical mass with no give, which obviously makes contact far more messy than it should be. Would like to see some crush and crumple zones accounted for, would make tight racing a lot better and more realistic. One of my secret hopes I'd like to see addressed.
I 100% agree, it sucks so badly.

The cars hitting each other like they are ball bearings due to a lack of kinetic energy absorption is a great point.

Back