Don't screw this up Turn 10!

• Thread starter CnPx
  • 279 comments
I may have missed it, but did they mention dynamic weather along with time of day changing through the races?

The best race in GT7 is the Spa day to night to day 1hr race with dynamic weather. I'm hoping Forza has the same.

"Fundamental to Forza Motorsport is our fully dynamic time of day system, which brings tracks to life in stunning detail and like weather, it will be available on every track. "
I may have missed it, but did they mention dynamic weather along with time of day changing through the races?

The best race in GT7 is the Spa day to night to day 1hr race with dynamic weather. I'm hoping Forza has the same.

It'll be interesting to see the impact of this trailer on GT7's post release support, considering both games could be direct competition to each other if GT7 does come to PC according to the Nvidia leak. We haven't seen many details on physics other than big talk, but graphics is what casuals love and IMO we have a clear winner here after today.

The problem is that, at times, the Forza Motorsport franchise has surpassed GT in several ways, but this superiority never seems to translate to commercial figures. Both GT5 and 6 sold more than FM2, 3 and 4, which is very significant because PS3 era is considered "dark age" of GT whereas 360 era was "peak" of FM (not Horizon, peak of Horizon was between FH3 and 4 IMO).

This means that, no matter what Forza does, Kaz never feels threatened. So the GT franchise stalls in many ways.

Still, competition is good and both Forza and GT have taken from each other. Both feed into each other. Forza wouldn't exist without GT, and GT needed a competitor to resharpen itself. At the end of the day, I need an excuse to turn my XSX on again and FH5 sucks IMO, so maybe FM can be it.

Around 58 seconds in the trailer. Camera from above Hakone Circuit with Japanese Garden as infield.
And some screenshots that are also posted in this thread. (such as the one of Koenigsegg in light blue)

It is difficult to describe the sense of discomfort conveyed by these to someone who does not live in Japan, but the first is like a Western movie style cityscape suddenly appearing in the infield of an American fantasy circuit, to use an analogy.

The second is...how can I describe it? To begin with, the language on the sign in this screenshot is so unintelligible that none of my other friends (all Japanese, of course), including myself, can understand it.

This was not the case at all at Fujimi Kaido and Tokyo Circuit in FM1, or at the New Fujimi Kaido in FM3.
This is the reason why I am so puzzled and perplexed.
So to be clear, you're taking offence at this:
fm-reveal-103-20220612.jpg

and this:
Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 00-12-24 Forza Motorsport - Official Trailer - Xbox and Bethesda Game...png

and it bothered you so much you had time to ask all of your friends what they thought, within the hour. Sorry, I don't buy for one second that your concerns are genuine.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see the impact of this trailer on GT7's post release support, considering both games could be direct competition to each other if GT7 does come to PC according to the Nvidia leak. We haven't seen many details on physics other than big talk, but graphics is what casuals love and IMO we have a clear winner here after today.

The problem is that, at times, the Forza Motorsport franchise has surpassed GT in several ways, but this superiority never seems to translate to commercial figures. Both GT5 and 6 sold more than FM2, 3 and 4, which is very significant because PS3 era is considered "dark age" of GT whereas 360 era was "peak" of FM (not Horizon, peak of Horizon was between FH3 and 4 IMO).

This means that, no matter what Forza does, Kaz never feels threatened. So the GT franchise stalls in many ways.

Still, competition is good and both Forza and GT have taken from each other. Both feed into each other. Forza wouldn't exist without GT, and GT needed a competitor to resharpen itself. At the end of the day, I need an excuse to turn my XSX on again and FH5 sucks IMO, so maybe FM can be it.
Gran Turismo hasn't been able to hit a timing window in over a decade. Will be interesting to see what happens now that the tables have turned, At least on that front.

From the things that I saw, graphically its already better then GT7.

Lol, doesnt take a fanboy to see. GT7 is a flop, its main problem is Kaz and I've probably said this since GT5, definitely GT6. Get rid of that guy, give him a distinguished fellow title and let younger blood take the reigns. Take the reigns in what GT series SHOULD have been.

GT7 set a low bar, hopefully FM8 pole vaults over it. Maybe that would wake up those idiots at PD.

They showed some good stuff, but it will come down how much control they give us over these things. T10 have been very stingy with control over various options in the past, but if they final open things up it could be really big for the series.

Letting us manually select individual cars on the grid, more precise options for lobby restrictions, actually letting us choose time of day, accelerate time, fuel burn rate multiplier, tire wear rate multiplier, etc so we can really dial in the experience we want, and so that everyone can really tailor the game to their tastes would be big.

They mentioned track rubbering in briefly, that's another thing that I hope they give us good control over... Rubbering in a process that happens over the course of a weekend, not in a few laps, so the ability to control how quickly it happens will be important for both people who run endurance races and for people who just do 4 lap hopper races or whatever.

I'm glad that they haven't mentioned the atmospheric pressure nonsense lately, hopefully they have dropped that as a feature as it was a terrible idea. Esaki originally stated it would change PI of cars at different altitudes which would be very annoying and complicate the hell out of saving/sharing tunes.

While it looks amazing and I'm happy to see we will finally be able to strategize our races, I can't help but feel dissapointed that all the modern racecars will be severely outdated by the time it comes out.
It has basically become T10 tradition to add highly requested, relevant cars right as they are obsoleted.
Time of Day/Weather on every track! Remember when they tried the whole "well it doesn't rain in Dubai" excuse? I guess they realized it's videogames, doesn't have to be realistic.
Check out the Dubai 24hr from 2020. Race was redflagged because it rained and the track drainage system was (somewhat understandably) not equipped to deal with the amount of rain. They had several inches of standing water in the pit lane, track entry/exit tunnels flooded, etc. There was even some drivers/crew guys that built tiny sailboats out of empty soda bottles and chip bags and were racing them in flooded pitlane during the red flag.

The full time of day and weather options for every track is big though, very much looking forward to some rainy Nordschleife races into the twilight.

Looking the two vids several times,
But I had awaited more.
For me the „wow“ effect was missing.
Horizon 5 trailer last year gave me more.
That's the different styles of the games though, right? Horizon is supposed to be bombastic and flashy. Motorsport is much less so.
The second is...how can I describe it? To begin with, the language on the sign in this screenshot is so unintelligible that none of my other friends (all Japanese, of course), including myself, can understand it.
The one that says Tomitama? とみたま。Can you see it now? It's a fat font, but it's far from unintelligible especially when the same word is in English right beside it.

Am in the same camp as those that still can't get a PS5 for retail $$$ so will be waiting to see how this is
The good thing about this game is you can play it on PC, so whether you have a high end PC or a Series X, you can play this game. Getting a PS5 is still a pain in the ass. Admittedly I havent turned mine on in a week, thinking of selling for more than I bought it for since new ones are selling for $700. LOL

Also, this game already looks better than GT7 and will look even better on a high end PC rig. Thinking of upgrading my RTX3080 to a 4000 series RTX just for FM8.

Last edited:
Gamepass could have something to say about that methinks.
Game Pass brings in large numbers but ultimately it's empty. Millions of players, yes, but they touch the game once or twice.

My biggest gripe with gaming media is how Microsoft is never pressured into revealing the details of how people use Game Pass. They just take the official speech for granted, because "hey free games".

This Forza will have big numbers at launch like many Game Pass games, but how many will keep playing? Halo had 20 million, without even being on Game Pass, and now even Microsoft has forgotten it exists. :lol:

Game Pass brings in large numbers but ultimately it's empty. Millions of players, yes, but they touch the game once or twice.

My biggest gripe with gaming media is how Microsoft is never pressured into revealing the details of how people use Game Pass. They just take the official speech for granted, because "hey free games".

This Forza will have big numbers at launch like many Game Pass games, but how many will keep playing? Halo had 20 million, without even being on Game Pass, and now even Microsoft has forgotten it exists. :lol:
I don't understand what you're saying, Halo was on game pass day one.

Exactly how do you know that Game Pass is empty?

I don't understand what you're saying, Halo was on game pass day one.

Exactly how do you know that Game Pass is empty?
Halo Infinite's multiplayer is F2P. So you don't need a Game Pass subscription to play it. Game Pass is required for the campaign only.

Game Pass itself isn't empty, but having millions of players is meaningless. To Microsoft, if you boot a game once, you're a player. It's not substantial.

Last edited:
Halo Infinite's multiplayer is F2P. So you don't need a Game Pass subscription to play it. Game Pass is required for the campaign only.

Game Pass itself isn't empty, but having millions of players is meaningless. To Microsoft, if you boot a game once, you're a player. It's not substantial.
That is the standard for unique players for all gaming companies.

Kind of weird to be acting like Game Pass isn't as impressive as it appears. Guess Sony forgot to consult some random on the internet on the success of it, given its competing service just launched.

lmao at basically pulling the same dumb as **** 'well, Game Pass players aren't actual players, they're overinflating numbers' arguments that GT6mebe and others were using a few years ago like Sony isn't doing the exact same thing as Game Pass with absolutely none of the value. And forgetting that other developers and publishers (Sony and Polyphony included) also consider one person who booted
up the game once and never played it again as a player.

lmao at basically pulling the same dumb as **** 'well, Game Pass players aren't actual players, they're overinflating numbers' arguments that GT6mebe and others were using a few years ago like Sony isn't doing the exact same thing as Game Pass with absolutely none of the value. And forgetting that other developers and publishers (Sony and Polyphony included) also consider one person who booted
up the game once and never played it again as a player.
Also that Microsoft and Sony both seem to see value in this style of game "sales" long term. If it wasn't profitable they wouldn't keep putting these big name games on there. But they do, so it's as legitimate a "sale" of a copy of the game as everything else.

With the proviso that sales are a generally garbage number to look at with regards to anything except "how well did the marketing campaign work?" of course. What would actually be useful is accurate concurrent player numbers, but those are rarely easily available outside of Steam.

That's the different styles of the games though, right? Horizon is supposed to be bombastic and flashy. Motorsport is much less so.

The one that says Tomitama? とみたま。Can you see it now? It's a fat font, but it's far from unintelligible especially when the same word is in English right beside it.
I can read it, of course.
The problem is that even native speakers cannot understand what this sign is intended to do.

It is no different from the meaningless Japanese words such as "セチスカン" and "ばぱう" on the GTA signboards of the PS2 era.

Again, the Japanese-style fantasy courses in the past in the Forza series did not have this kind of thing. They were all in proper Japanese and conveyed the intent and content.

I am just lamenting the fact that they are unable to do what they were able to do in the past and have ended up with a strange Japanese-style fantasy circuit.

I don't want to get into a fight, so I won't talk any more about the Hakone Circuit. You are free to have your own opinion about this circuit.

Since Hakone is near the Shizuoka prefecture (in clear view of Mt. Fuji), my bet is that the Hakone circuit will be a faux Fuji speedway (just like Project Cars has faux Suzuka).

What I would really like to see in Forza Motorsport is a sense of location and time progression through some of these points:

• Why not use a calendar for the racing season to allow you for more measured progression throughout a certain racing series? I believe Forza Motorsport 4 had something like this.
  • Racing weekends that start with (optional) practice on Friday, qualifying on Saturday and race on Sunday? Or in case you are starting your career, have the race on Saturday as you are just in the support programme for the main event? Like taking part in the Le Mans cup LMP3/GT3 race before the actual 24 Hours of Le Mans, or a single make series like Porsche Cup.
  • A sense of geography that shows where your race is. Especially now we finally have South Africa with Kyalami, we could have races on all continents (except Antarctica). It would be great to have a map to show that (believe Forza Motorsport 4 also did this)
  • And finally, why not have a choice to start your career in the United States or Europe with all races initially there, making races across other parts of the world more special.

Since Hakone is near the Shizuoka prefecture (in clear view of Mt. Fuji), my bet is that the Hakone circuit will be a faux Fuji speedway (just like Project Cars has faux Suzuka).
Maybe they'll have Fuji as well. iRacing just got it, I don't see why Microsoft wouldn't afford the licensing fee. I hope Motegi and Tsukuba come back too.

Racing weekends that start with (optional) practice on Friday, qualifying on Saturday and race on Sunday?

I wish people would read News :D

From december 2021!:

You’ve asked for deeper, more authentic multiplayer racing, and we set out to make that a reality in this new Forza Motorsport with a focus on growing skills and building communities. The structure of what we’ve been testing with the community is essentially a race weekend, featuring Open Practice, Qualifying and a Featured Race with a calendar of both active and upcoming events taking place around the world.

What happens on the track with our testers is some of the best feedback we can get and that’s why we’ve had community organizers such as TORA involved. With all the changes to tire compounds, tire wear and fuel, we’re also doubling down on endurance racing. In our last playtest, we had an Open Practice and Qualifying event up for hours. Players could practice and qualify when it most convenient for them, then leave and return for the main event.

This new approach to endurance racing provides us with unique scenarios to experiment with. For example, we can create qualifiers during the week and host the Featured Race on the weekend, or alternatively, qualify during the day and race at night.

We also want to help players unlock their fastest self through a new corner mastery system in Open Practice. It’s designed to better focus your practice sessions on the real tricky areas of the track like double apexes – we consider those your “enemies.” We’re shaping this corner mastery system into something more social and connected that goes beyond simple per track leaderboards and instead creates an experience where players compete and compare corner scores in real time.

We also want to help players unlock their fastest self through a new corner mastery system in Open Practice. It’s designed to better focus your practice sessions on the real tricky areas of the track like double apexes – we consider those your “enemies.” We’re shaping this corner mastery system into something more social and connected that goes beyond simple per track leaderboards and instead creates an experience where players compete and compare corner scores in real time.
The corner mastery system might be similar to the track acclimatization program in the f1 games, which will be pretty helpful to learn the track honestly.

I wish people would read News :D

From december 2021!:

You’ve asked for deeper, more authentic multiplayer racing, and we set out to make that a reality in this new Forza Motorsport with a focus on growing skills and building communities. The structure of what we’ve been testing with the community is essentially a race weekend, featuring Open Practice, Qualifying and a Featured Race with a calendar of both active and upcoming events taking place around the world.

What happens on the track with our testers is some of the best feedback we can get and that’s why we’ve had community organizers such as TORA involved. With all the changes to tire compounds, tire wear and fuel, we’re also doubling down on endurance racing. In our last playtest, we had an Open Practice and Qualifying event up for hours. Players could practice and qualify when it most convenient for them, then leave and return for the main event.

This new approach to endurance racing provides us with unique scenarios to experiment with. For example, we can create qualifiers during the week and host the Featured Race on the weekend, or alternatively, qualify during the day and race at night.

Haha. Thanks for sharing this :)

I do read news including this. Maybe I should have more specific as I was referring to single player career mode as I understand that this article refers to online multiplayer.

Back