Don't screw this up Turn 10!

• Thread starter CnPx
  • 279 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
With the complete **** show GT7 is in at the momen with loads of fans apparently quitting Gran Turismo and outraged that the game is completely pay to win. It takes around a hole day to buy 1 of the legendary sports cars or of course you can swipe your bank card and get the car instantly.
Will Turn10 take advantage of this and make the new Motorsport title have little micro-transactions, a good progression system and generous race rewards? If the new motorsport title goes well then this would be a massive win for Xbox and potentially make the platform a no brainer. Especially with Activision under the belt. This would make Xbox be a good choice for those who want Elderscrolls, Forza, Early call of duty access (Likely but no confirmed) and Xbox game pass. Playstation still of course has a lot of great single player exclusives like The Last of us, the up and coming God of War title and more. But as far as online multiplayer goes I think Xbox is going in the right direction and that is where the money seems to be. Playstation are clearly shooting themselves in the foot with 1 of there only exclusive online titles being over saturated with micro-transactions, ruining the core gameplay experience and taking the joy from the game.
I am not trying to make Playstation sound terrible. I own a PS5 and I play Xbox games on my PC. But I am hoping this new Forza release gives me the joy that Gran Turismo 7 failed to do. I like Gt7 but it doesn't have much content to offer and I think Sony are to blame.
How ever, Forza MS7 wasn't without its problems. I hope they have listened to peoples feedback and removed the stuff that players didn't like. For example you couldn't use custom tunes in more or less anything online. The single player was a bit boring. The AI was predictable and basically the same in every single race, the car library was a bit small, the hot wheels cars were out of place in a motorsport game, car colour tears are childish, Race mods are dumb and other stuff as well. These are some of the things I personally didn't like and stuff I have seen people complain about on websites like meta critic.
I have done some research on the new Motorsport game and its looking good. With a complete rebuild of the game engine I can imagine it offering a real next gen racing experience. Xbox Series X also has a lot of power under the hood (Pun intended) so Turn10 have allot of potential to make this game amazing!
But we will soon find out what direction Turn10 will be heading towards in the new title when it comes out in the future. Can't wait to find out!

What do you all want to see in the new Forza game? Do you think it will surpass GT7 or do you think it will follow down MTX lane?

Last edited by a moderator:
MSZ
I'm definitely looking forward to FM8, since I can't even find a PS5 locally. It's Sony's fault that they lose out a potential customer just like that.
If your thinking about buying a Playstation for Gran Turismo then honestly you're setting yourself up for disappointment. If you have a PC or Xbox then I would just stick to Forza. I have been playing a lot of Forza MS7 even when GT7 was working just because I was getting so sick of repeating the same races on GT7 just to earn cash to buy the car I wanted. At least in Forza when I am saving up for something you can play a variety of races and earn credits consistently.

Well, I'm counting on Forza Motorsport (the eight in the franchise, but will not have an 8 in the title) not to have an always-online requirement. It will have an old-fashioned offline campaign, the car prices won't be absurd, and every car will be playable from the start on a free-to-play mode. Also: no microtransactions, no silly musical mode, no 9-minute unskippable intro...

If your thinking about buying a Playstation for Gran Turismo then honestly you're setting yourself up for disappointment. If you have a PC or Xbox then I would just stick to Forza. I have been playing a lot of Forza MS7 even when GT7 was working just because I was getting so sick of repeating the same races on GT7 just to earn cash to buy the car I wanted. At least in Forza when I am saving up for something you can play a variety of races and earn credits consistently.
I bought the PS2 for GT3 and 4, same for PS3 for GT5 and 6. I skipped PS4 because GTS wasn't a full game. Even if GT7 sucks I would still get a hand on it...IF I can get a PS5 at MSRP.

Until then I'm all Forza.

I just can't imagine buying one platform for one specific game and missing all the rest there is. To each its own, of course, but there is so much variety out there right now.

I just can't imagine buying one platform for one specific game and missing all the rest there is. To each its own, of course, but there is so much variety out there right now.
I play all kinds of games, just not on playstation.

GT series is the only thing I'm interested on PS consoles.

I actually considered myself anti-PS back in the days, since I spent most of my time on Sega Saturn.

I have hardly felt the need to touch the consoles in my household since I got a decent PC again. All PC games: check. Xbox game pass: check. Formerly PS-exclusive titles: check.

Looking forward to FM8. If they can make it as engaging and fun as FH3/4/5 then it's all good.

I have hardly felt the need to touch the consoles in my household since I got a decent PC again. All PC games: check. Xbox game pass: check. Formerly PS-exclusive titles: check.

Looking forward to FM8. If they can make it as engaging and fun as FH3/4/5 then it's all good.
I'm on the same boat, a powerful gaming PC which is able to do anything except for PS exclusives.

I still can't understand why some need to choose between different games. Play what you want. If grinding is such an issue to get you off the game than maybe Forza is the right game. But still, both games are very different. When I switched to Xbox I had a lot of problems with physics and handling in the early days. It's just so different. Than I must confess that GTS did a huge job with online racing. Forza is still far from what they did at PD (Sport Mode).
And it really takes a little to make people mad now days. T10 could do a good job but if it won't meet your expectations you will get disappointed.
At least you will be able to try the game on Gamepass before buying it. Just don't expect it will replace GT. You will get disappointed no matter what.

Exactly fans not dogs. And even a dog will stay loyal to a certain point. After that it will bite you. This is not a battlefield where people betray one for switching sides.

If you play on controller then that could be true. But most racing wheels aren't compatible with both systems. They are either for Xbox or Playstation. When I decided to buy my first racing wheel I went with Xbox even though back then I still had both consoles. Once I got into Forza it made me realize that I liked it much better than GT so I sold my Playstation and nothing will make me get one ever again.

I'm hoping T10 makes it much easier to acquire cars than GT. I'm really hoping there are no stupid license requirement tests that you have to pass. As I said before, to me the biggest thing is to improve the horrible AI behavior from FM7.

I’m hoping that one of the reasons the new Forza is taking so long is they have been waiting to see what GT7 offered and the public reaction. If this is the case and they move more toward what people are wanting from GT7 then it could be a huge win for them. And us as players. The state of GT7 is just sad. I’ve been ps since the beginning and only got my first Xbox when the series x released. If the new Forza gets it right and GT7 continues to flail around in its own stupidity the PS5 will be going on eBay.

If the new Forza can impress me im willing to go back anytime.

T10 dont screw this up. You guys have the intiative.

T10 has the potential for this game to be a big success like FH5 at launch was (in terms of player numbers)
  • First Forza Motorsport game on steam
  • First Forza Motorsport Launch on Game Pass
  • Probably over 5 years since a FM release (that's even if Holiday 2022 is achieved)
But I definitely have my doubts T10 can deliver a cohesive and high quality experience that rivals something like say... FM2-4.

This E3 would make sense for a gameplay reveal.

Content numbers will be very interesting this game as well
  • I don't really forsee a huge car list like FM7's happening here (it is a reboot after all) but it so often is the draw of FM/GT so it'll be interesting to see what T10 has up their sleeve
  • Track wise will be very important - FM7 had a very respectable environment count of 32 but I doubt all of these return (Bernese Alps I'm looking at you). What are the new tracks? Will there be a focus on bringing back fan-favorite fictional tracks like Fujimi, Camino Viejo complex, Sunset Peninsula? Or on new fictional tracks? Or bringing in New-To-Forza real world tracks, especially from Asia/Europe were there has been big holes in FM's track department forever.
  • Will we see a proper 24hr Dynamic Lightning system in the game? If so - how many tracks will it be available on? Likewise with Weather as well. FM7 was very disappointing in this regard.
There's a lot of questions about FM - it'll be interesting to see the answers T10 has for us.

I hope FM is considering full racing weekends. One of the most satisfying aspects of PC2 is running the practice session to see how to set up the car for qualification/race day. It is very rewarding to start with a **** setup that can't brake/turn or is slow overall and figure out what is needed, whether by yourself or using their engineer assistant (or a combination of both).

Now, I'm not a technical guy by any means, but I have enough understanding of what parameters I need to tweak to get the car to respond. This aspect can either be deep (PC2 in this case) or very broad (current FM games). In this aspect, I would hope for a compromise: A technical setting for the sim-crowd, but also a simplified tuning system that is not so dry and is accessible for the more casual crowd, and that is rewarding (it's a game after all) but also a teaching tool.

This past few days I've been comparing the racing games I currently own on Xbox Series S/One X (PC2, Grid Legends, FM7, FM6) on shared parameters:
Custom race at noon at Brands Hatch (because every car game out there has that track) with the BMW M1 Procar (a car common to all those games.)
If I had to rank how they feel at the controller in terms of responsiveness, that is, how good driving feels to me notwithstanding the intended level of "realism", It would go PC2>Grid Legends (!)>FM6>FM7.

-PC2 driving always feels on the edge and that's a good thing because it makes you pay attention to the track and your inputs, and in turn, the controller returns you very good feedback. Granted, tweaking the controller settings is necessary (there is very useful info on the subject in the forums here.)
-Grid Legends has been a very pleasant surprise, with a simple controller/tuning setting that is very responsive, even if the rumble feedback is muted in comparison with PC2 and the Forza's. I know it is an arcade racer, but the cars do feel very connected to the road and your controller inputs.
-The thing about the past Forza games is that (again using the common car/track combo) there is some sort of lag between your controller and what your car is doing, and some sort of disconnection between your car and the tires. In general, driving is manageable, but the braking is for me the worst aspect, in terms of input/reaction, so the feeling is more artificial, while the other games feel more natural.

Just some musings for now...

At this point I think it's inevitable that T10 will screw something major up. I'm not saying that as I think T10 is incapable but rather because of mistakes they've made in the past as well as mistakes other developers have made that will result in increased scrutiny on anything T10 does.

- Micro Transactions: I can't imagine them implementing them after dealing with the backlash themselves or seeing what PD is going through right now. But still anything even close to them will be scrutinized very closely even if it's like FM7 and doesn't use real money.

- Playlist: I have to imagine this will be a core feature and while I like that it serves as a way to get people to try different content and keep the game feeling alive by adding content they need to make it so you can purchase the cars either via credits (not via auction house) or Forzathon points after the initial opportunity. It doesn't have to be immediate, but I feel making them permanently available in a special dealer after the season would be a good compromise that allows people that may have missed the initial opportunity a chance to get the car while still maintaining a little exclusivity and therefor incentive to participate.

-Career: While FM7's career mode isn't horrible, it also isn't the most rewarding since you can start off with a car like the McLaren F1. Since the new game is seemingly going more in the serious direction I would like to see something like a FM4/PC2 hybrid career where you can either follow a classic pyramid progress or just pick from a giant pile of pre-configured races.

-Custom Races/Championships: FM7 was rather crap in this regard since it could be a pain to get exactly what you wanted and forced homologation. What I would like to see is them bringing Blueprint over from Horizon and expanding it so we can choose individual cars including those from our own garage. Proper race weekend formats would also go a long way.

-Liveries: I get that they don't want to force people to leave their collections behind, but it's very much time to leave the pixelated liveries created in a cumbersome editor behind. PD has shown it's possible to import .SVG files so I see no reason T10 can't do the same.

-Online: I know they started working on this in FM7, but it's very crucial that they have a functioning (not expecting perfect) online rating system from day 1. Bringing car clubs back from FM4 would be great as well, I have fond memories of trying various cars people shared.

-Cars/Grouping: If they are indeed going down the more serious route they really need to start putting more thought into the cars they add as well as how they are grouped. More consistent modeling and listing individual model's country of origin would also go a long way to making the game feel higher quality (I'm tired of seeing Australian/UK Ford's get listed as American cars).

-Tracks: If they are going to add any tracks post-launch they need to be via free-DLC as locking them behind a paywall pretty much renders them useless. Trying to make the custom tracks seem more like something you might actually see in the real world would also be nice to see as the tracks T10 have come up with starting with Bernese Alps are nice for photo mode but not much else.

- Focus: This is probably my biggest one, FM7 felt like it was trying to aim for both the typical crowd that buys Forza/GT as well as the more casual one and they just aren't that compatible. Hopefully with Horizon proving it's success at attracting the more casual base will allow the Motorsport side to be more focused on the racing aspect.

Again I think T10 is more than capable of still making a fantastic game, but I also think the silence we've seen combined with the issues seen in their previous games as well as the issues/accolades seen in games made by other developers that have launched since than really have made a long list of areas they need to improve in. I think if they can make a game that's only lacking in 2-3 areas I listed above though we could see Forza return to being a legitimate threat to overtake the top dog slot of mainstream racing titles.

Last edited:
Again I think T10 is more than capable of still making a fantastic game, but I also think the silence we've seen combined with the issues seen in their previous games as well as the issues/accolades seen in games made by other developers that have launched since than really have made a long list of areas they need to improve in. I think if they can make a game that's only lacking in 2-3 areas I listed above though we could see Forza return to being a legitimate threat to overtake the top dog slot of mainstream racing titles.
Forza Motorsport 7, even in a end of life status, is still in the top dog slot of mainstream track racing games (With large amount of cars and upgrading). If you're looking for a track racing experience that is like Forza or Gran Turismo; Forza Motorsport 7 is one of the best options out there.

Forza Motorsport 7 is a much more competent and well-featured game than Gran Turismo 7, even with its flaws.

I will say I've noticed (& I know others have as well) over the past few months that for a game that officially hit its end of life status mid last year, Turn10 has still been actively engaging the community with it. Seen quite a lot of rival events w/ some sort of livery up for grabs & them looking for fans to tag their photos and showcasing them later on. I don't remember if I ever saw their social media so active when the game was still getting updates.

Have to wonder if T10 is looking to keep the community's interest engaged in preparation for a certain trade event we normally get our first peak at a Motorsport game.

Forza Motorsport 7, even in a end of life status, is still in the top dog slot of mainstream track racing games (With large amount of cars and upgrading). If you're looking for a track racing experience that is like Forza or Gran Turismo; Forza Motorsport 7 is one of the best options out there.

Forza Motorsport 7 is a much more competent and well-featured game than Gran Turismo 7, even with its flaws.
I wasn't talking about quality as much as I was position in the overall gaming market. Say what you will about GT but the series has reached a level where the game can easily sell millions based on name recognition alone even if the game is crap and also attract people that don't usually play racing games (I would say NFS and Horizon are also in this category). I think Motorsport was fairly close to that during the FM4 days but kind of let off the gas during the XB1 era. Granted I don't think they're far off even today, but they also haven't really had that title that pushes them over the hump like the Horizon series has had.
Well, I mean there was not real money involved, right?

Lootboxes where removed, mods stayed. But both could be bought only with CR.
While true there was no real money involved, it very much seemed to signal their intent for the future of the series. Had the setup in FM7 not been called out we likely would have seen the next Motorsport title on the usual release timetable with the lootboxes monetized as well as them being implemented in Horizon. Thankfully though it was and as a result they removed microtransactions in their entirety. It kind of makes you wonder if it was an intentional move on T10's part as a way to show Microsoft that it wasn't a good idea to overly monetize the game as up to that point microtransactions really weren't pushed much.

I think people need to temper certain expectations with the next Forza Motorsport game. Pretty sure it's going to have more in common with Project Cars than Gran Turismo or previous Forza games.

All the hints are there, the team thing, refocus on online, effectively being talked about as a reboot, honing in on simulation aspects, we've already been told not to expect a massive car list as they focus on quality over quantity, presumably creating a.mlre cohesive car lost with more complete car classes and variety of racing series. The story/career being more character and calendar driven (which may make it shorter).

I think people need to temper certain expectations with the next Forza Motorsport game. Pretty sure it's going to have more in common with Project Cars than Gran Turismo or previous Forza games.

All the hints are there, the team thing, refocus on online, effectively being talked about as a reboot, honing in on simulation aspects, we've already been told not to expect a massive car list as they focus on quality over quantity, presumably creating a.mlre cohesive car lost with more complete car classes and variety of racing series. The story/career being more character and calendar driven (which may make it shorter).
Wait, when did they say the whole quality over quantity thing?
I hope they don't lose one of their biggest draws i.e. massive car and track list. Yes, some of it is bloat but they can fine tune it.
I really don't want them to end up like FM5. Tempering expectations is fair considering its a reboot, but losing most of the new/old cars from FM7- FH5 will hurt like hell. They really need to hold FM6/Fh5 as the base at the very least for the amount of cars in the game (500+).

I like that the online aspect is being focused on, but that shouldn't mean single player is compromised like GT sport or GT7 (from what i have heard)
I hope career mode being shorter doesn't mean the event list is smaller too.

Wait, when did they say the whole quality over quantity thing?
I hope they don't lose one of their biggest draws i.e. massive car and track list. Yes, some of it is bloat but they can fine tune it.
I really don't want them to end up like FM5. Tempering expectations is fair considering its a reboot, but losing most of the new/old cars from FM7- FH5 will hurt like hell. They really need to hold FM6/Fh5 as the base at the very least for the amount of cars in the game (500+).

I like that the online aspect is being focused on, but that shouldn't mean single player is compromised like GT sport or GT7 (from what i have heard)
I hope career mode being shorter doesn't mean the event list is smaller too.
I don't do any online racing at all so the single player aspect is extremely important to me. I also don't care at all for any career programs or things like that. I like doing my single races to either a number of laps or time period. If T10 move more towards a focus on online or you must do a career, then I'm going to be very disappointed.

I don't do any online racing at all so the single player aspect is extremely important to me. I also don't care at all for any career programs or things like that. I like doing my single races to either a number of laps or time period. If T10 move more towards a focus on online or you must do a career, then I'm going to be very disappointed.
A source of mine who was in the testing last year said it the testing was very much focussed on the online aspect, with a very iRacing/GT Sport type event structure with set practice sessions, pre race qualifying and races going off at set times. Everything I've heard from that really points towards them focussing quite heavily on the online aspect.

And from Turn 10 themselves and various leaks and rumours it definitely does sound like it's going to have a somewhat story driven career, perhaps TOCA race driver meets the calendar based career of Forza Motorsport 4.

A source of mine who was in the testing last year said it the testing was very much focussed on the online aspect, with a very iRacing/GT Sport type event structure with set practice sessions, pre race qualifying and races going off at set times. Everything I've heard from that really points towards them focussing quite heavily on the online aspect.

And from Turn 10 themselves and various leaks and rumours it definitely does sound like it's going to have a somewhat story driven career, perhaps TOCA race driver meets the calendar based career of Forza Motorsport 4.
Tbf, it would make sense for them to test only the online and physics aspects of it with the external playtests. For the career, it's just a bunch of pre made events that don't need testing.

I'm happy they're taking online seriously tho. It's much needed.

Tbf, it would make sense for them to test only the online and physics aspects of it with the external playtests. For the career, it's just a bunch of pre made events that don't need testing.

I'm happy they're taking online seriously tho. It's much needed.
This is true.

Now I definitely won't preorder anything until I see if it's even worth my time to buy it at all. I'm hoping there surely will be a way around all of that for the single player.

Not sure what we're going to see here. And at this point the best position is wait and see. Fans of the Motorsport series are highly tribalized and often in conflict with each others interests and it's going to be very interesting to see where they steer the series. I don't think they're going even try to keep everyone happy and I can already hear the screaming about it from whichever tribes feel forsaken and left out. Another big problem they're going to have to work with is the lack of available next-gen hardware. Many people simply don't want the Series S (and when many of these next-gen games are well past 100G of space it's no wonder why), and getting your hand on an XSX at the retail level is seriously tough, we may see a high percentage of players go PC or give up entirely.

Re: T10 and microtransactions, FM4-6 and some of the FH titles, you could buy tokens. They even had it as part of Forza Rewards- to get max points from the program for FM4-5 you had to purchase tokens.

Back