Drag Racing noob

• Thread starter DriftStyle
  • 28 comments
England
West Yorkshire
ScottNX
I want to get into racing. I have never done it before. I need some cars that are good on the track, where drag races take place and how to tune the cars.

Thank you!

Indy Road Course has a 1/4mile on it and online there's a lot of drags on it.
Not an expert on drag cars and the tuning involved but I use a Viper ACR fully tuned, very short gear ratios (only to 170MPH).
Suspension is raised at the back to full and the extension and compression at the rear is the full 10 too, it's gives the best traction taking off the line.

I'm not an expert in drag however and can be classed as an amateur and just stating my experiences lol :P
Skylines GTRs are very quick too but most drag rooms frown upon AWD cars, Pagani Zonda C12S 7.3 is a very very quick car too!
I don't exactly know the quickest cars but a lot of people use vipers but that Pagani I mentioned above totally ripped everyone apart in the drag room I was once in lol

Hope I helped but you should really go to drag rooms (just select Indy road course and a ton of drag rooms will come up) and see what the majority are using and maybe they could help with the tuning too.

Welcome to the dark side :D

Just go into the tuning forum and you will see dozens of drag racing threads.

Awd cars are not frowned upon in drag rooms.... Fr can beat an awd by the end. It's all about your tune.

What's frowned upon is veyrons and fgt's wanting to run cars other than there own.

Well, I'm not professional at drag races, but I think I have an idea on how to tune for them.

LSD to 60 60 5 no matter what the car (although some think that initial torque doesn't do anything, I don't know)
Ride height, I max the front and min the rear and stiffen the car as much as possible. This was for SSR7 so I don't imagine it will be much difference.

Well, I'm not professional at drag races, but I think I have an idea on how to tune for them.

LSD to 60 60 5 no matter what the car (although some think that initial torque doesn't do anything, I don't know)
Ride height, I max the front and min the rear and stiffen the car as much as possible. This was for SSR7 so I don't imagine it will be much difference.

LSD hardly makes a difference as you are making no turns so the movement of the left and right side wheels is irrelevant. And Indy is almost the exact opposite of SSR7.

In gearing yes but I don't see how it could be any different in suspension.

At R7 your priority is top end speed while at Indy it is a fast launch. Suspension is a major factor depicting your top speed, it is not only your transmission tuning.

Subaru 360 or Fiat 500! :D

Or, more likely, enzo/viper/gtr. I'd really like to see someone do a drag rx-7 or s2000 would be cool :P

At R7 your priority is top end speed while at Indy it is a fast launch. Suspension is a major factor depicting your top speed, it is not only your transmission tuning.

This.

I only drag at Indy and I can tell you suspension makes quite the difference depending on the car. Yes transmission is important but so is suspension. Any pro drag racer will tell you this.

slashfan7964
This.

I only drag at Indy and I can tell you suspension makes quite the difference depending on the car. Yes transmission is important but so is suspension. Any pro drag racer will tell you this.

Yeh I'm pretty sure raising the rear suspension helped MAJORLY in the launch off the line as it minimised wheel spin and gave me the best traction and perfect launch. People should really try it themselves before coming up with their own conclusions having no solid argument or evidence...

X3sgteX
Awd cars are not frowned upon in drag rooms.... Fr can beat an awd by the end. It's all about your tune.

What's frowned upon is veyrons and fgt's wanting to run cars other than there own.

Lol when I use my M Spec Skyline GTR majority hate it and say no AWD as they say it's technically an advantage against everyone else and since they're the host I'll be kicked.. (happened to me 4 times in a row so I think people didn't like it), very quick car I think!

Yeh I'm pretty sure raising the rear suspension helped MAJORLY in the launch off the line as it minimised wheel spin and gave me the best traction and perfect launch. People should really try it themselves before coming up with their own conclusions having no solid argument or evidence...

If you harden the suspension in the back after raising it, I tend to soften it in the front so the body lifts when I floor it, and the wheels stay on the ground pushing momentum on the rear tires, therefore increasing traction on launch.

If you harden the suspension in the back after raising it, I tend to soften it in the front so the body lifts when I floor it, and the wheels stay on the ground pushing momentum on the rear tires, therefore increasing traction on launch.

Don't give out all your secrets now ;)

slashfan7964

Thanks for the info I will soften the front and see how it goes 👍

DaLightninRacer
Don't give out all your secrets now ;)

It's not secrets, it's in the tuning forums + he's being helpful to others like me who aren't exactly pro at drag 👍

It's not secrets, it's in the tuning forums + he's being helpful to others like me who aren't exactly pro at drag 👍

1 this isn't in the tuning forums and 2 that was sarcasm. I was just saying that a drag racer shouldn't give too much of his tune away or everyone will be running around with the same tune.

Personally I'd rather expose my secrets in hopes of helping others rather than sharing all the glory myself. And @aadil, no problem dude. Glad to help. Let me know if there is anything else you need help with.

1 this isn't in the tuning forums and 2 that was sarcasm. I was just saying that a drag racer shouldn't give too much of his tune away or everyone will be running around with the same tune.

Making it fun to have to keep tuning for that top spot.

I've got some nice cars. I just HAD to get the SpecV. :D I've got a Skyline and a fully tuned Viper ACR. I got the tuning basics down, so I need to master it now. Thanks again everyone.

DriftStyle
If the car is FF, where do I soften? The front or rear? I though the back.

I honestly have no experience dragging FF cars but I'm gonna try and use car logic here and hope it works. Fwd cars suffer from loss of tractions during acceleration because the weight shifts towards the rear, lifting the front wheels. I'd stiffen the rear, soften the front slightly, and set some ballast over the front to really lock the tires down. Don't take my word on that tune though, its just spur of the moment 4am thoughts from me.

I've never tried drag racing before but it looks like it's becoming quite popular in GT5. I think I'll have a go myself.

A quick question though. How do the drag races work? How do you know who to line up against and how do you both know when to start?

Lynx-Can
I've never tried drag racing before but it looks like it's becoming quite popular in GT5. I think I'll have a go myself.

A quick question though. How do the drag races work? How do you know who to line up against and how do you both know when to start?

You normally just pull up to the start line whomever you want to race. It helps a ton to have a mic when dragging. On SS7 people usually start by a specific time in the overall time counter but at Indy, we usually have a person park infront of the two people dragging and randomly turn ghost, signifying to the racers to go.

You normally just pull up to the start line whomever you want to race. It helps a ton to have a mic when dragging. On SS7 people usually start by a specific time in the overall time counter but at Indy, we usually have a person park infront of the two people dragging and randomly turn ghost, signifying to the racers to go.

This, exactly. Sometimes there are times, but most of the time people ghost. I've seen people flash their lights or turn their tires as a 1, 2, 3 type thing. If it's organized, people will line up in 2s on the yellow lines, and move to the track when the people in front are clear of the track.

Back