drift faster than grip

• Thread starter 280Z_surge
  • 478 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
my opioin on the hole grip is faster than drifitng thing, it really depends on the skill and car to me, because both cars would slow down in the turn but the car drifting would have a lil advantge if the grip car would go inside or outside...even if the gutter drop is possable ( like inital d ) then the drift car still has a advantge, but in tight hairpin's the grip car has the advantage in passing, so liek i said...to me it really depends on the skill and car...:)

nightkids4ever
- Why not look at the Nissan Skyline R32. Yes, let's talk about skylines for a few minutes, just because Takeshi Nakazato of the Night Kids and his GT-R R32 lost to Takumi in his AE86 Sprinter Trueno does not mean that the Skyline is not a good car for downhill racing. First of all, the R32 is superior for uphill and on the downhill it is an effective grip driver. Everyone wishes they had a skyline; no one wants an AE86, because no one really possesses Takumi's God-like driving skill. With that said, let's move on. The R32 comes equipped with the standard RB26DETT that produces 280bhp at 6,800rpm and 271 lb-ft at 4,400rpm. Now, catch your breath and think for a second, when you pay nearly 60K for a skyline you better know how to handle this beast. You cannot drift in a skyline, it produces too much torque and is virtually impossible to handle if you throw it into a drift, so unless you want to spin out and die, use the grip driving technique. The R32 or any GTR for that matter makes so much horsepower that it will compensate for loss ground when racing a drifter. Again, have very good brakes, it takes a lot to slow a skyline down. It will probably take time to gain full control of the R32 and learn its strengths and weaknesses, but applying the right technique with an adjustable suspension and strong braking calipers, the R32 is yours to wield.

- An effective drifter is the Toyota SW20 MR2, its transverse rear-mid engine and rear wheel drive setup is more than the perfect ingredients for an excellent drift car. The MR2 is a well-balanced car which makes it ideal for drifting. Its strong center of gravity allows it to enter corners at high speeds and exit at roughly the same amount of throttle. Depending on whether you have a decent tire/suspension setup, the MR2 should be easily groomed into a drift machine. Having bucket seats and five point seatbelts might help you withstand the G-force when drifting. The MR2 is known for coming out of corners hard because of its little understeer / oversteer factor. This allows it to accelerate directly, without having to fight with the steering wheel. This little guy will really toss you around if you don't know how to handle it properly.

60K for an R32?!?! is that Yen? or dollars?!?

R33 would be better cuz only the Vspec R32's came with LSD.. otherwise they didn't...

i'd never imagine drifting in my R33... the speeds i'd have to take it to get it sideways makes me shiver... the Car does everything possible to Grip... HICAS, ATTESA ETS etc etc...

the other problem is the Weight of the car.. almopst 1,600 kilos!... that's alot of inertia rollin around... not good...

in real life the litle Hachi would have been eaten by Godzilla ;) thats 276hp on paper.. but closer to 300 in real life...

as for the MR2.. it actually has a very strong tendency to Over steer... it's notorious for it... driving it in rain is scray.. and snow it's near impossible unless u have GOOD tires... but if u learn to countersteer early.. and treat it properly it makes a good Drift car and Grip car... but u can't really drive it like an FR...

for example.. lifting off the gas at the apex will totally unload the rear suspension and make u over steer.. unlike the FR's... u're supposed to keep on the gas more and u'll keep the car grounded.... and handlin well

Well i'd tryed to put alot of this in action in GT3...and scary to say...alot of it is tru...like how otto said that the MR2 rolls on the drift if treated liek a FR, its oversteers, completely... i was able to drift it liek a AE86...full throttle... but my personal favortie is the 240SX SE S14, its light weight and very fast... easy to drft and can be drifted and grip style, my set up o nteh game lets me comtrol it how ever i like, if i wanna go out side and drift i jus faint drift...but if clsoe to someone going inside i heel-toe ((quickly brake then gas)) and it gives me enough grip on the front tires turning late... 👍 but the R34 as a grip is a challange... i say that a AE86 can beat a R32 in the corners, turbo slows cars down braking and corning at high speeds, and the AE86 ain't turbo'ed... so i say the skyline's and AE86 have there advantages in areas...
Ottoman
60K for an R32?!?! is that Yen? or dollars?!?

R33 would be better cuz only the Vspec R32's came with LSD.. otherwise they didn't...

i'd never imagine drifting in my R33... the speeds i'd have to take it to get it sideways makes me shiver... the Car does everything possible to Grip... HICAS, ATTESA ETS etc etc...

the other problem is the Weight of the car.. almopst 1,600 kilos!... that's alot of inertia rollin around... not good...

in real life the litle Hachi would have been eaten by Godzilla ;) thats 276hp on paper.. but closer to 300 in real life...

as for the MR2.. it actually has a very strong tendency to Over steer... it's notorious for it... driving it in rain is scray.. and snow it's near impossible unless u have GOOD tires... but if u learn to countersteer early.. and treat it properly it makes a good Drift car and Grip car... but u can't really drive it like an FR...

for example.. lifting off the gas at the apex will totally unload the rear suspension and make u over steer.. unlike the FR's... u're supposed to keep on the gas more and u'll keep the car grounded.... and handlin well

This is a long ass thread. The original question isn't specific enough to easily answer. Usually the arguement is between a drifter (likely using Sims) and a racer (likely using Super-Softs). Only god or super man could win a race of Sims vs. Racing Tires. I think the real question is in the exact same car can you drift some corners faster than if you maintain grip. I say yes to that.

I think when you can go faster drifting is on slower corners with long straits after. If you brake late, turn hard and give it tons of throttle you can get your engine revved higher for the exit. If you make it around the corner decently your higher power output will make you accelerate faster down the strait..

Why don't you guys just run some tests to find out?

it's been settled a LOOOOONG time ago, Grip is Faster than drift in 98% of turns..... -_-;

MdnIte
it's been settled a LOOOOONG time ago, Grip is Faster than drift in 98% of turns..... -_-;

WTF r u smoking? dude... drifting can beat a grip racer in alot of turns...the grip racer has advantages in wide turns and the drifter has it in the hair pin / shrap turns, it takes a grip driver longer the get the car to "grip" than it does for the drifter to get in motion... :dunce: 💡 y dont u try it in the games....u'll c it for ur self lol, get a car thats..mm i'd say good 250 - 360 hp and race on hard, the comp cars r grip type and u drift... u'll c even i ngames its tru, grip have there advantages and drift has theres... it jus depends on teh driver which is faster

Long-Drifter
WTF r u smoking? dude... drifting can beat a grip racer in alot of turns...the grip racer has advantages in wide turns and the drifter has it in the hair pin / shrap turns, it takes a grip driver longer the get the car to "grip" than it does for the drifter to get in motion...

Yes it's basically based on the driver. But what i'm confused about is how you say you can beat computers in arcade mode by drifting? The hp levels should be around the same and the fact that you beat comps by drifting....just i don't believe it. Drift maybe faster on some turns but you have to see the race as a whole. I do not believe drift can beat grip on a FULL race.

Depending on the type of drift u do, gives u the abilty to over take a grip car, and nother thing...i done this to my brother in GT2...((AE86 vs EG6)) i used the over power drift and i cornered him in to wear he couldn't pass me on the inside, and gave me the chacne to beat him even on the exit, being that he had to slow down ((AE86 under powered to every car...espencally the B16A)) it depends on the drift u use in a corner against the grip racer...they can hit high or low in there turns but a drifter can block them so they can't pass...even if they r going faster...no one wants to damage there sexy car :sly:

Long-Drifter
WTF r u smoking? dude... drifting can beat a grip racer in alot of turns...the grip racer has advantages in wide turns and the drifter has it in the hair pin / shrap turns, it takes a grip driver longer the get the car to "grip" than it does for the drifter to get in motion... :dunce: 💡 y dont u try it in the games....u'll c it for ur self lol, get a car thats..mm i'd say good 250 - 360 hp and race on hard, the comp cars r grip type and u drift... u'll c even i ngames its tru, grip have there advantages and drift has theres... it jus depends on teh driver which is faster

then would you mind to settle it with a race? I can arrange for a special drift vs grip session if you wish.... Oh and Btw, we will have to use the same car, same hp, and anything else you want to do...

MdnIte
then would you mind to settle it with a race? I can arrange for a special drift vs grip session if you wish.... Oh and Btw, we will have to use the same car, same hp, and anything else you want to do...

That's just a big waste of time. Given that you don't spin out as a grip driver, the grip driving will always beat drifting in a closed course.

MdnIte
Well.. i want to prove a point... some people can be very stubborn

actually...ucan spin out as a grip driver....i seen it on some DVD's... if u want 2 go rite ahead... i have the 240SX ummi think its around 360 hp... i'll check again, and i jus beat my friend drifting around him while he gripped wit a R32

plus it ain't stubbornness... its opioin's and facts to back them up, but if u want to set one up u can go ahead... i'd like to c wut it'd b like racing a R32 again ((my friend was not skilled at all)) ummm... but jus explain how it works... plz

OK.... How about this, let's say we have a 180 degree turn, and we both have the same car, you hard brake and race drift deep into the turn, you lose not as much speed as me, but once you exit the turn, your tyres are still spinning, causing you to lose speed. Meanwhile, i brake normally, and keep a steady throttle, turn deep as well. Half way through the turn, i can punch the throttle to full, letting me accelerate away more quickly than you :D:D:D:D:D

Riddle me this?

If Drift is supposedly faster then Grip.. care to explain why Schumacher and Montoya Aren't driving their cars Sideways? :P

just cuz your Speedo has a higher number while drifting doesn't matter.. a)u're breaking traction b) u're loosin Forward momentum because the lateral G's are overcoming the Lateral Grip.. wich means forward memtum is losing to laterl momentum which means u're not using energy in the direction u're supposed to be goin (trying to explain without getting technical)

*EDIT*

there's a good video of Driving the AE86 Grip vs Drift in the same corner spilt screen...

it should Answer ALL your questions u guys may have... end it once and for all

Ottoman
Riddle me this?

If Drift is supposedly faster then Grip.. care to explain why Schumacher and Montoya Aren't driving their cars Sideways? :P

just cuz your Speedo has a higher number while drifting doesn't matter.. a)u're breaking traction b) u're loosin Forward momentum because the lateral G's are overcoming the Lateral Grip.. wich means forward memtum is losing to laterl momentum which means u're not using energy in the direction u're supposed to be goin (trying to explain without getting technical)

*EDIT*

there's a good video of Driving the AE86 Grip vs Drift in the same corner spilt screen...

it should Answer ALL your questions u guys may have... end it once and for all

ok for one thing... tell me how ur post to drift a car thats prolly over 1000 HP and less than 10 centimeters off the ground and steering so sencitive that if u make the smallest mistake even driving normal u'll spin about 5 times... lol, that was a dumb question... and ummm...that was technical lol, ummm midnite, like i said b4, a drifter can block in a grip driver even if iexit slower u can't go no where till i actually get str8 again which at that point we'd b doing about the same speed possaly one of us would b about 7-12 mph faster... and the forward motion is always going... for the grip driver to contine u forward is not a great big deal...the drifer goin in a angle can b in the winds direction... wind = downforce = grip...the grip driver already has that grip... to me i find the grip drive has not that much mreo grip than a drifter....they both can spin jus as easy... drifter lil easyer, also liek i said b4...it depends on wut type of drift it is...theres only bout...wut? 8 diffrent types? power over is slow in the exit...faint drifting is fast out of exits fast entering, brake drift is slow int oand out of but very fast in the drift motion capable of passing i the turn, e-braking is fast into the drift bur slow out...kidna slow while drifting also ((my opioin)) heel-toe i find the fastest and clutch kick also..

o and only one thing can end this tread...lol get the DriftKing himself on here...or even Orido and have them tell us which would b better, and i bet they'd say the same thing.... "They bot have there advantages"

Long-Drifter
o and only one thing can end this tread...lol get the DriftKing himself on here...or even Orido and have them tell us which would b better, and i bet they'd say the same thing.... "They bot have there advantages"

o yea...i looked ova my own videos...((my best so far is a 1.43.470 on trail moutain)) brake drifting is slow entering and ver ystable in the drift and gains speed on exit

and can't forget if its over drifted... thats a lost of 10mph....is the grip doesn't grip thats alot more lost ((doesn't grip big chance of spin or not grip for that hole turn))

o yea...and its been shown in videos...and D1 competetions... the hachi beat Godzilla...lmao Godzilla lost to a Rotory... and the rotory lsot to a AE86... that alone should tell u sumthing....

Long Drifter....do you not see the edit button? Come on. I can see one or two extra posts....but 8! That's just not a cool thing to do man.

OK, I'll give it to you straight. If we're talking pure lap times. Grip IS and always will be faster. Now, if you're talking battle, yes of course there are times when a drifter could use his line taking to an advantage or when the grip driver could upset do the same thing. That's pretty obvious to most people.

But when push comes to shove. Grip is faster. Period. It's a simple matter of physics. But who cares! Both take great skill to master and precision in execution and both can be equally fun! :)

Long-Drifter
o yea...and its been shown in videos...and D1 competetions... the hachi beat Godzilla...lmao Godzilla lost to a Rotory... and the rotory lsot to a AE86... that alone should tell u sumthing....
yeah um your talkin to your self!

moder13
yeah um your talkin to your self!

Model 13...make mroe sence then that...cuz u obvously dont watch alota D1 and drift videos..and swift...u r rite...not at the "push to shove thing tho" i still say it depends o nthe style of the drivers... and the skill part i agree wit 100%

Long Drifter:

I'm going to quote two rules. One from the Acceptable Use Policy and one from the Terms of Service. Both of which you agreed to abide by when registering at GTPlanet.net

From the Acceptable Use Policy:
You will not post messages that are clearly outside of the stated topic of any Forums nor disrupt a forum by deliberately posting repeated irrelevant messages or copies of identical messages (also known as "flooding"). Downright stupid and blatantly wasteful comments and posts, as judged by our moderators, will be removed.

From the Terms of Service:
No slang words that promote laziness, ie; "r", "u", "plz", etc.

* Half decent grammar is expected. Use of capital letters
starting sentences is looked upon favorably. Spelling
half decently is also encouraged.

I'm asking you now to shape up, or your time here at GTPlanet.net with come to an abrupt end.

Thank you,

Der Alta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back