Drive Club to steal the spotlight from GT6?

Hmmm...

• I am inclined to agree with this predicament.

Votes: 35 9.6%
  • Blasphemy! PDs GT6 shall be Godlike!

Votes: 110 30.2%
  • Who cares, brah? The more, the merrier!

Votes: 199 54.7%
  • Forza 5 will be the only true driving simulator...

Votes: 20 5.5%

• Total voters
United States
Desert
DISCLAIMER: NO This is NOT about GT6 being released on PS3 or PS4. This is about Drive Club possibly stealing whatever thunder GT6 might have.

I'm not sure if a thread has been made about this since the 20th, but after watching Evolution Studios reveal of their (MAYBE) PS4 launch title "Drive Club" presentation:

I couldn't help but say "WTH is Sony thinking?" to myself.

I can't remember if Sony has EVER used PD to launch a new console, but THE TIME TO CAPITALIZE on potential PS4 launch sales is now with a brand new Gran Turismo game.

Now based on recent rumors and Kazunoris "Blank Canvas" statement, this could mean that PD is developing a yet to be revealed game for later down the road or Sony is keeping them under wraps until a big showing (maybe) at E3, this year.

Now for Evolution Studios. Yes I am analy pained about their Drive Club showing. NOT because it may be a launch title, but because of what they're aiming for, with it.

It's to be a VERY immersive-:

First Person Viewpoint
Exloration of your environment (in, around and possibly away from the cars)
Heavy social interaction focus with multiplayer

- driving game, using REAL CAR LICENSES and a realistic graphics engine. It is UNCOMFORMED if the game is aiming for a realistic driving physics model, but if it is, then PD will have competition within their own house.

Sound familiar? Yeah. Kazunori mentioned he wants to make a game VERY similar to those targets, but EVOS seems to have beaten them to the punch.

I may seem like I'm hating on EVOS, but I'm not. I'm upset that Sony may not use their most successful developer to lead the way for "Driving Simulators".

I actually like EVOS. In fact, they have a better track record for developing good racing games, than PD. They have made MORE GAMES in their younger life-time, than PD. They have even shown consistant improvements within the current generation with the MotorStorm series. They seem to have knack for making "FUN" games.

Hell. Based on all that. Evolution Studio seems to be more deserving of the spotlight for a brand new IP to launch with the PS4. MotorStorm was PS3s best launch racing game. Why not Drive Club for PS4?

I guess after the mess that was and is GT5, it's the right decision to have PD take the back seat for now.

But... GT6 on PS3? **** THAT S***

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
GT6 is a Gran Turismo game. It will sell simply by virtue of being one.

Drive Club is not, and whatever it does will be irrelevant to whatever GT6 will do. Though Drive Club coming first will help keep GT6 from stealing sales from it.

Last edited:
I saw Drive Club. I was not interested in the slightest. They said nothing about physics, it was all talk and pretty pictures. If they show something interesting, I'll consider it.

Stealing the spotlight? How could Drive Club be "stealing the spotlight" when GT6 isn't even close to being done? Sorry but PD has no spotlight for now. At least Drive Club has some car models and enough gameplay done so they can show a silly teaser. I'm sure if PD had anything done they'd show that.

Hehe GTmail, when the speculation ball starts rolling, anything is possible. Half the forum thinks it's confirmed that we're getting a 2013 release on the PS3, so "stealing the spotlight" becomes very plausible in that situation.

The fact that a release may or may not come this year, may or may not be on one console or another, is moot. Tradition dictates that we grab on to the most popular speculation, and discuss from there until new information proves otherwise, lol.

Last time, we went on like this for four or five years. XD

I personally think that while the game will probably look stunning, it will be just another throw-away racing game.

It's not necessarily a throwaway game but it's not a direct competitor game to GT, it's pretty clear to me it's going to be what Project Gotham Racing was to Forza on the Xbox 360.

Well at the moment its kind of hard not to steal the spotlight - Drive Club has gameplay videos and appeared at the PS4 "launch". What does GT6 have?

Did Enthusia steal the spotlight from GT4? Hell no, and it was a much more similar game than in this case.

Drive club doesn't even appear to be the same type of game (physics wise), going for a bit more arcade style. And the atmosphere seems to be more of a NFS or Forza Horizon type of game, not track racing. So far it's just another racing game.

GT, on another hand, is a strong brand. Possibly Sony's strongest. Whenever they announce it, it will create hype, GT5 sold almost 10 million even with all the criticism. It's basically guaranteed to sell on the name alone. Unless Drive Club somehow achieves unexpected huge success and PD messes up badly I don't see it happening.

It's pretty hard to tell what DC actually is. For the time being it's nothing but fancy cinematics and exotic cars. Until we see some features and can compare GT6 to DC it's impossible to tell what the impact of each of the games is going to be.

Regarding the spotlight, I think PD is pretty happy about letting DC get all the expectation hype, so they can keep developing GT6 in silence. The only thing that matters for GT6 (and for DC) is what they have to show when they present the product.

Competition or not, Sony probably wouldn't want two of their exclusive racers to clash together, as is Forza Horizon/Forza Motorsport/Project Gotham on the Xbox. It's pretty clear right now, that for launch at least, Drive Club will be the exclusive racing game from Sony to take the spotlight. That may be a half year to a year, or even more of nothing but this game.

If Sony isn't planning to use GT6 as a launch title, then perhaps it does make sense for it to be released on the PS3. Assuming that this Drive Club will at least take a half year of spotlight, it would mean GT6 on the PS4 to be at least in Spring of 2014. Would it be more feasible for Sony to release GT6 on the PS4 then, or just release it on the PS3 sooner?

If u were Kaz, would your really want to continue making the same game, over and over again? Furthermore, while making said game, you have the people that literally own you, and your baby (PD) telling you to "do what you did, again, only this time do it better." I know I'd get sick of it.
Also, competition is good, more the merrier I say...

Stealing the spotlight? How could Drive Club be "stealing the spotlight" when GT6 isn't even close to being done? Sorry but PD has no spotlight for now. At least Drive Club has some car models and enough gameplay done so they can show a silly teaser. I'm sure if PD had anything done they'd show that.

So you actually think that after a whole two and a half years PD doesn't have anything to show? Just because they didn't show anything it doesn't mean it's because they don't have anything to show.

DISCLAIMER: NO This is NOT about GT6 being released on PS3 or PS4. This is about Drive Club possibly stealing whatever thunder GT6 might have.

What do you guys think?

Drive Club has stolen a lot of attention away from GT6 right now - maybe even for a vast number of GT players.

I'm not sure if a thread has been made about this since the 20th, but after watching Evolution Studios reveal of their (MAYBE) PS4 launch title "Drive Club" presentation:
(video)
I couldn't help but say "WTH is Sony thinking?" to myself.

For the moment there is only a general discussion thread - however, as you say - a lot of the limelight is being shifted, so no doubt (like this thread, and its poll) there will be many 'core-topic' discussions, from wish-lists, to car-lists. Maybe even its own section in a sub-Forum.
You can bet with so much online activity connected with the game, that it would be suicide for any gaming site (especially one focused on automotive-based games) to turn a blind eye to its potential.

I actually like EVOS. In fact, they have a better track record for developing good racing games, than PD. They have made MORE GAMES in their younger life-time, than PD. They have even shown consistant improvements within the current generation with the MotorStorm series. They seem to have knack for making "FUN" games.

Put yourself in the 'boss's' shoes; what decision would you come to after that thought process?

Hell. Based on all that. Evolution Studio seems to be more deserving of the spotlight for a brand new IP to launch with the PS4. MotorStorm was PS3s best launch racing game. Why not Drive Club for PS4?

I guess Sony did make a decision. ;)

Good thread. Will be interesting to see how the poll results, and I'm sure there will be a few exchanges on here as to whether Drive Club will steal the thunder seriously enough away from a possible GT6 to overshadow it.

My opinion?
It's stolen the limelight (for now - everybody likes to look forward to something 'new'). And is serious competition - but only in terms of the 'general market'.
GT enthusiasts like me will obviously buy both games. Or only GT6. Whatever platform GT6 eventually materialises on.

As far as stealing thunder is considered, there is no thunder... Drive Club is Ridge Racer not a competitor nor thunder stealer from GT games.. Heck, GT6 wasn't even officially announced yet, just a slip up, a rumor...

But keep going please... it's really amusing to read all this stuff here :)

Remember the mention of Driver's Club for GT5 a couple of years ago https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=170129. Sony Computer Entertainment worked on Drive Club for PS4. This is just IMO, but I think that they ended up scrapping the Driver's Club for GT5, but liked Kaz's idea, and collaborated with him on Drive Club. I think Kaz was willing to do this because he wanted to see how the PS4 would handle certain things, and I believe that is where the blank canvas comment came from. I think GT6 will be a PS3 title, and Kaz, if he did indeed help with Drive Club, will use what he learned to create GT7 for PS4. Again, this is IMO.

GT 6 hadn't put itself into any sort of spot light to begin with. Drive club is just another launch day racer.

GT6 is a Gran Turismo game. It will sell simply by virtue of being one.

This.

I kinda laughed at some of the crying about GT6, if for PS3 rather than PS4. I said it shouldn't matter which system that it's for, that if you like GT then there's no reason not to get GT6 for PS3. The fact of the matter is that GT6 will sell millions of copies no matter what, and nothing can stop that. Even if it is somehow the worst game in the series (though it shouldn't be), it will still sell based on the name alone. GT6 has nothing to worry about.

Competition or not, Sony probably wouldn't want two of their exclusive racers to clash together, as is Forza Horizon/Forza Motorsport/Project Gotham on the Xbox.

It sounds as though you're saying Forza Motorsport, Horizon, and PGR clash. If so, I just want to point out that they do not. It's been several years since a PGR and the timing between FM4 and Horizon worked out just fine so that there is no conflict. I played all of these but never had to choose one over the other. With that out of the way...

I don't think Drive Club and GT6 will clash because the timing will probably work out so that they aren't competing. Remember folks, most people don't play these things for several years, no matter how much they enjoy them. If they came out a year apart, for example, that would be just great. Drive Club will likely be out well before GT6. I don't expect Drive Club to be something you invest hundreds of hours into, but maybe a few dozen and then you move on, so it will work out just fine.

It is just really weird how this is working out, lol. I honestly think Drive Club exists because PD has nothing for PS4.

GT6 is totally a PS3 release and Drive Club is there to hold the audience while PD gets GT7 Prologue cranking sometime in 2015. I look at DC like its an NSF game, all eye candy but no substance. At least the PS4 seems to be a more developer friendly platform because then maybe PD will having something decent within the first year of PS4's launch.

Also PS4 will probably fall into the same trap PS3 did when it first released... too expensive, overrated, and no major titles at launch. It took PS3 forever to ramp up sales because its pros over Xbox/Wii and even PS2 were too new or expensive to catch on. PS4 will be a hard sale because other than more processing power, it doesn't offer that much more than PS3 at this point. Not that impressed with it.

New to PD's ways are we? :lol:

Not at all, after two years they would have something to show, even if it meant the actual game coming out 3 years later.

As for Drive Club stealing any thunder, there isn't really any thunder to steal. It good that its being released first because if GT6 happened released on the PS4 the same time as Drive Club, it would be GT6 stealing whatever thunder Drive Club had and completely decimate it.

Last edited:
I don't understand why are people so worried that Drive Club will get all the attention from the GT series. It's natural that it's getting so much attention now because it's the first racing game on PS4. If GT6 was shown at PS Meeting Drive Club would be just "that other racing game". Sony does not want that. When the new PS4 GT game is announced (GT6 or not) everyone will be taking about it because it's the premiere of Playstation's signature racing franchise on the next generation. These games aren't exactly competing either. They are diferent kinds of racing games (DC is probably a more arcade type of game).

I played Forza 4 on my friends Xbox a few days ago, and I wanted to go to GameStop and get an Xbox 360, and forza 4 as soon as I left. The sounds were amazing, engine swaps, and detailed exterior and interior on EVERY CAR! The fact that Gran Tourismo never had any PlayStation competition to begin with, is the only reason why it is still popular, and it took 5 Gran Tourismo games for another title to just show how much its missing, in this case, it is Drive Club, and it flattened GT5, and of course GT6 in just 1 trailer. I saw GT6 gameplay on their YouTube channel, and they not only half assed the damn video, and the sounds, graphics, and all of the other fails in GT5 were still there, hell, I think i even recognized that damn test car. That's another thing, GT5 has cars that date back to gt1, and has more than 600 cars from GT4, which is not only a PAST GAME, but it was from the days of the PlayStation 2. Right there is a GOLDEN reason for Sony to drop this damn company. Only reason why Need for Speed,Forza, And every other popular racing game haven't disrupted any of the Gran Tourismo games, Is because they are not just on PlayTation only, except Forza, which is a Xbox only game, and that's good for GT, because that game is has good graphics, good physics, and sounds that are not only amazing, but actually fit a car. I put a titanium on a dodge ram, and it sounded like a damn HONDA. THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THAT SOUND IN A REAL LIFE RAM, BECAUSE THE DAMN RAM HAS A V8, NOT A LITTLE Japanese 4 BANGER, I got this game 5 years ago, and waited half that for one damn dlc, which was NOT worth it. The only reason why GT5 is still on my shelf of games, is because it is the only decent racing game for ps3, and i haven't played that crap in over 4 months, it is just collecting dust. Sony is real stupid for taaking so damn long to publish another racing game, because they are going to make so much more money on Drive Club. I wont be surprised iof they discontinue GT7, Because GT5 is wayyyyyyy behind the second Forzza, Nevermind Drive Club... Again, Drive Club is definetly going to take over GT6 if guys like you keep posting these threads on the game, which isnt doing anything, but digging GT6's grave deeper and deeper!

DriveClub is going to have its own spotlight for some time. It'll be cool to see two exclusive racing games on the Sony platform.

Then Project C.A.R.S. will come around and put some more fire below PD's rear. ;)

Steal the internet spotlight? Perhaps being next gen and all... Regardless, I fully expect GT6 to outsell Drive Club and FM5 (since its brought up).

If they intend to steal the spotlight from GT6 they better be stepping up their game soon. The complete content of the entire Drive Club website, three months after the announcement, are:

1. Video from the announcement, which consists of 10 seconds of awkward camera angles and 25 seconds of logotypes.

GT6 is miles ahead in terms of spotlight attention.

Latest Posts

Back