DRIVE THIS CAR!!! Random Car Challenge

• Thread starter t.o.
  • 270 comments
Sorry T.O. I probably helped start the GT5 vs Forza talk when I mentioned driving on ice.

I'm going to be done talking about how cars handle. There is no way to reach a middle ground. I say it's easy to get a car out of shape and could provide videos if I wanted, and others can say it's nearly impossible to get the same car out of shape and show videos of that as well. I chalk it up to preferance and style.

I will remember it all though when I hit the track this Saturday. Last race of the season, and I should do well enough to make the invitational on Sunday.

My verdict is sometimes, in a slow corner, in a very powerful car, you can give a boot load of power and it still pushes instead of straight out power oversteer unless you provoke it with some weight movement. Also scandanavian flicks doesn't work that well in FM3, compare to my various experience in other games.

I can post a vid of me trying to drift a Maserati MC12 later on.

sorry to mention GT again, but if you drive a F40 or Mclaren F1 on comfort soft, that is about the right about of throttle sensitivity that is realistic imo.

The scandanavian flick is exactly the technique I use when drifting. In fact, I used it to get my 100,000 drift achievement on Fugimi Kaido.

Dang, is there a Fugimi Kaido challenge?? I love that track!!

The MC12 is an amazing car. I just finished the R2 World Class Championship with that car, man what a challenge!

The scandanavian flick is exactly the technique I use when drifting. In fact, I used it to get my 100,000 drift achievement on Fugimi Kaido.

Dang, is there a Fugimi Kaido challenge?? I love that track!!

We can do that, or rather ya'll can do that. I'm going to be honest, I'm not a big fan of that track and I don't know it at all. It seems like a hot track to do some tricks on but it just isn't my cup of tea. But that doesn't mean I will stop the fun for the rest of you guys. If you guys want to run that let me know and it's on. Infact, if I don't get any other track suggestions then that will be our next run.

Take it to the FM vs GT thread.
I just wanted to get my point of view across to Kreepnslayer. Sorry anyway.

Sorry T.O. I probably helped start the GT5 vs Forza talk when I mentioned driving on ice.

I'm going to be done talking about how cars handle. There is no way to reach a middle ground. I say it's easy to get a car out of shape and could provide videos if I wanted, and others can say it's nearly impossible to get the same car out of shape and show videos of that as well. I chalk it up to preferance and style.

I will remember it all though when I hit the track this Saturday. Last race of the season, and I should do well enough to make the invitational on Sunday.

I agree with you that it is easy to get out of shape. I can do that in FM3 and FM4 demo. However my point is you can recover the situation quite easily more so in FM3 than FM4 so you don't really pay for any mistakes or bad driving. Driving smoothly usually makes the game reward you with very high traction and very neutral to understeer handling and eliminates from me progressive throttle control required in most other sims I play to stay in control. You don't have to balance the car on throttle like you have to do in most sim games I play or be gentle intially with the power before going full power.

My verdict is sometimes, in a slow corner, in a very powerful car, you can give a boot load of power and it still pushes instead of straight out power oversteer unless you provoke it with some weight movement. Also scandanavian flicks doesn't work that well in FM3, compare to my various experience in other games.

I can post a vid of me trying to drift a Maserati MC12 later on.

sorry to mention GT again, but if you drive a F40 or Mclaren F1 on comfort soft, that is about the right about of throttle sensitivity that is realistic imo.
Your experiences sound similar to mine and you drive similar. Coincidence, I think not ;).

I have read some wheel users experiences and they seem to have the same experience as my guess. If you drive smoothly then the steering assist does not kick in as the car stays stable. However if you turn too much it starts kicking in like expected as the car will start to slide a bit. Look forward to hearing the impressions of people who have yet to get the demo who are doing this challenge. The steering seems more alive than FM3 going by videos so that should give some of you guys more of a workout having to countersteer back and fourth especially with the Mercury Cougar ;).

As I don't have Xbox Live Gold (No rivals mode) how about a challenge on total race time on the top difficulty level on any of the three cars in the Forza 4 demo in addition to another FM3 challenge if you like?

I think FM3 is more interesting for now haha, don't get me wrong the demo is great (and the assist malarky isn't as big as people make out to be, if you are a racer), but the track just isn't very technical. You can't turn the music off which drive me nuts, and I assume the hardest AI difficulty isn't available, so it's hardly a challenge to race against.

In my short time with the demo though, the steering feel has improved, the grip fall off characteristic seem better, and it is much easier to provoke oversteer just by inertia and some weight shifting, that is the biggest surprise, it will change how a lot of the car handles and generally make heavy rear wheel drive cars much more lively. Me likes that big time.

Can't really tell the real physics improvement without some more low speed cornering test, but in some instance I held some zero-counter 4 wheel drifts with confidence and it feels great (although it is something you can do in FM3 with the right car too), overall it isn't a lightyear ahead of FM3. But given how good FM3 feels on my new wheel it is hard to imagine anything dramatically different without the tracks itself being improved and more detailed.

Spare me if I compare it to GT5 again...but my real life car is in both games, and while GT5 is pinpoint sharp and precise it is too race car like, the rear rotates in a fashion of tuned track machines and is simply too good. While in FM3 it has more give in the suspension and the power on understeer behavior is closer to the real one, FM3 while not as detailed and dramatic is closer to what a real street car feels - except the excess grip of course, put on a 15% grip handicap and it is very hard to fault until the steering filter sets in. I can't wait to see how FM4 version of my car will be like.

I think FM3 is more interesting for now haha, don't get me wrong the demo is great (and the assist malarky isn't as big as people make out to be, if you are a racer), but the track just isn't very technical. You can't turn the music off which drive me nuts, and I assume the hardest AI difficulty isn't available, so it's hardly a challenge to race against.

In my short time with the demo though, the steering feel has improved, the grip fall off characteristic seem better, and it is much easier to provoke oversteer just by inertia and some weight shifting, that is the biggest surprise, it will change how a lot of the car handles and generally make heavy rear wheel drive cars much more lively. Me likes that big time.

Can't really tell the real physics improvement without some more low speed cornering test, but in some instance I held some zero-counter 4 wheel drifts with confidence and it feels great (although it is something you can do in FM3 with the right car too), overall it isn't a lightyear ahead of FM3. But given how good FM3 feels on my new wheel it is hard to imagine anything dramatically different without the tracks itself being improved and more detailed.

Spare me if I compare it to GT5 again...but my real life car is in both games, and while GT5 is pinpoint sharp and precise it is too race car like, the rear rotates in a fashion of tuned track machines and is simply too good. While in FM3 it has more give in the suspension and the power on understeer behavior is closer to the real one, FM3 while not as detailed and dramatic is closer to what a real street car feels - except the excess grip of course, put on a 15% grip handicap and it is very hard to fault until the steering filter sets in. I can't wait to see how FM4 version of my car will be like.

What car do you have in real life if you don't mind me asking? The power on understeer characteristic is quite evident for quite a lot of cars in FM3 and also for the 458 and Impreza in the FM4 demo so I think it is the nature of the physics which can cause a problem for realism for most of the high performance cars. It is good for realism in lower powered cars, your everyday hatchbacks.

Yes mine is a everyday hatchback, the 03 mini cooper S. :D

Just had some epic races with my friends in a room with -15% grip handicap, the problem we mentioned seem to be improved quite a bit, a few cars like the E36 M3, E30 M3 and TVR Tuscan are a joy to throw around with reduced grip. The E36 in particular just feel like it wants to drift.

Some of the high end cars in FM3 are over tired as well, if the sport tires equals summer R compound tires then most of the Ferrari and Porsche range shouldn't be wearing it, even the 458 in reality is on all season tires, so that's another part of the problem.

Top tip to get rid of the claptrap music in the demo..

Bring up the xbox guide, select your own music (MP3 on a usb stick works), and then when it plays that, pause it from the same menu, and the music is no more!

Nice comments too, very well thought out!

I'd like to thank everyone for participating in this little "event" and for making it fun. I thought this would be a good way to pass some time to make the wait for FM4 not feel like a 39HP car doing laps on the Ring. I think the FM4 demo will probably keep people entertained until the full release and with the Rivals thing it kinda makes this thread obsolete. So have fun guys and thanks for showing up.

One last ....
OP Updated

I wish I could have found more time for more times to post. At least I got 2 in.

No big deal. As long as you had a little fun when you did get in.
Yeah it's kind of hard to run laps on FM3 when the FM4 demo is staring you in the face. :lol:

LMAO, I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a few cars to buy for the transfer and I still haven't put FM3 back in and do it with FM4 sitting there saying "Play me, you know you want to"

I made a Forza Motorsport Random Race Generator (in my sig :))

Feel free to use that for random combos if you want.

I have it set up so that you dont drive a 100 point/ super low F class car at a really long track (Nurb. Nord. and Fujimi at the moment). And so you don't drive the super fast R1/R2 cars on the mini courses. Hope it helps.

Jerome

I made a Forza Motorsport Random Race Generator (in my sig :))

Feel free to use that for random combos if you want.

I have it set up so that you dont drive a 100 point/ super low F class car at a really long track (Nurb. Nord. and Fujimi at the moment). And so you don't drive the super fast R1/R2 cars on the mini courses. Hope it helps.

Jerome

cool, you might have to edit it the FM4 version of it though as we don't know what the tire structure will be.

cool, you might have to edit it the FM4 version of it though as we don't know what the tire structure will be.

Correct, a quick and easy update to do. Same with new cars and tracks that get released in the future 👍

Also, I'm a bit confused on the 'unicorn' list of cars. Are these cars that can only be imported from FM3?

Jerome

Jump_Ace
Correct, a quick and easy update to do. Same with new cars and tracks that get released in the future 👍

Also, I'm a bit confused on the 'unicorn' list of cars. Are these cars that can only be imported from FM3?

Jerome

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/underthehood2/

As you can see there is an overlap between imports and unicorns as shown in the list below.

The secret import is also a Unicrorn : 2006 HKS Time Attack Evolution CT230R
Unicorns

2002 M3-GTR "Street Version" [Unicorn / Buy in Auction House]
1969 Camaro SS Coupe [Unicorn / FM3 Profile Import if in FM3 Garage ~ Or buy in Auction House]
2007 430 Scuderia [Unicorn / Get via FM3 Profile Import if in FM3 Garage ~ Or buy in Auction House]
2003 Challenge Stradale [Unicorn / Buy in Auction House]
2007 Shelby GT500 [Unicorn / Buy in Auction House]
2004 Mugen Civic Type-R [Unicorn / Buy in Auction House]
2002 Mugen Integra Type-R [Unicorn / Buy in Auction House]
2005 NSX-R GT [Unicorn / Buy in Auction House]
2007 Gallardo Superleggera [Unicorn / Get via FM3 Profile Import if in FM3 Garage ~ Or buy in Auction House]
2007 Murciélago LP640 [Unicorn / Buy in Auction House]
2002 RX-7 Spirit R Type-A [Unicorn / FM3 Profile Import if in FM3 Garage ~ Or buy in Auction House]
2006 HKS Time Attack Evolution CT230R [Unicorn / FM3 Profile Import if in FM3 Garage ~ Or buy in Auction House]
1993 MINE'S R32 Skyline GT-R [Unicorn / Buy in Auction House]
2002 MINE'S R34 Skyline GT-R [Unicorn / Buy in Auction House]
2004 Top Secret Silvia D1-Spec S15 [image] [Unicorn / Buy in Auction House]
2006 Impreza S204 [Unicorn / FM3 Profile Import if in FM3 Garage ~ Or buy in Auction House]
2002 Top Secret 0-300 Supra [Unicorn / Buy in Auction House]

I'll label them 'FM3 Import' cars, thanks for that Zoo!

Jerome

Nordschleife, Carrera GT, all AIDS off... 7:44.947

But after 3 laps, I Must Quit, it Feels and Looks horrible and the 3 laps showed me how worse the Physics in FM3 really are :crazy: (you can drive like an Animal and the Game corrects each mistake automaticaly, Even with all AIDS off... I Even felt Traction Control when I accelerate...

Ah with the Fanatec gt2 Wheel...

P.s. ****ing iPad Auto correction, sorry for the Big letter writing...

Edit: oh here is already an discussion going on about physics...

Sorry did Not knew that we Need to post a Screenshot... Next Time maybe, now im gonna Watch Soccer :)

Last edited:
Sele, what do you call football in Germany? As in NFL Football for example.

Football? Fußball?

Did you guys in the US not say Soccer to this game?

Soccer1.JPG

Back