DRIVE THIS CAR!!! Random Car Challenge

• Thread starter t.o.
  • 270 comments
I'm creeping ever closer to your time chris. Got a 1:09:206. Found two spots that I can get quicker on, now to optimize them and do the rest of the track correctly and I might get the sub 1:09:00 time. ;)

OP updated

Actually now that I noticed what you have for the OP. You put me as having the same time as RJS. So you have passed me and by quite allot too. 👍

Here is my time.

109-1.jpg

Looks like I have some work to do tonight.

Actually now that I noticed what you have for the OP. You put me as having the same time as RJS. So you have passed me and by quite allot too. 👍

Here is my time.

109-1.jpg

Looks like I have some work to do tonight.

LOL, yeah I see. I'm so used to losing I just take it for granted. :nervous:
Well I guess I can relish the top wheel time for a whole 10 minutes before somebody comes and knocks me off (Kreepnslayer) and then ZR1chris knocks that off and they go back off leaving me in proverbial dust. Maybe I can get RJS's time before he gets a chance to increase it to ungodly numbers.

OP Updated

I don't think I will be leaving you in dust this time, that's for sure. You got a pretty good time with this combo. I may not even beat you if you get under the 1:09.000 mark.

LOL, yeah I see. I'm so used to losing I just take it for granted. :nervous:
Well I guess I can relish the top wheel time for a whole 10 minutes before somebody comes and knocks me off (Kreepnslayer) and then ZR1chris knocks that off and they go back off leaving me in proverbial dust. Maybe I can get RJS's time before he gets a chance to increase it to ungodly numbers.

OP Updated

:lol::lol:
That made me laugh hard!
I don't know if I could improve that. And I forgot to save the replay...
But, I try to improve it.

If you guys want, you could add me in Xbox. ;)

Fair enough but that is my experience in Forza, that is probably why I'm so far the fastest on every track and car combo so far due to knowing how forgiving the cars are to drive. JJ72 also so far is a really close 2nd and he also thinks the traction is very high. I found this out in the first 15 minutes of playing the game (I usually test the limit of physics when I first get any sim game). I think only the R class cars can break traction when going straight to full throttle quickly. We should do an event with one of them to see how fast everyone is on them as I think they are the only ones that require progessive throttle for me anyway.

That is quite odd. I find the R1 cars very easy to drive with no assists. Their high downforce and immense cornering means that you tend to be going too fast for them to break away on power. Indeed, I have no trouble winning an R1 race on-line, yet struggle in the lower powered, low grip roadcars as I find the throttle difficult to modulate. I find getting out of hairpins in anything that isn't a racing car but has over 300hp really quite difficult.

Difficult is a relative term here, it is easy compare to more proper sims, but compare to say like Shift 2 it is less forgiving. In my own scale a 5% to 10% decrease in grip (which you can test out in a private online racing lobby) seems more realistic. It's not just in hairpin situations that it should become a factor, but also when exiting a fast turn with the rear almost at the lateral limit, a stab of throttle more often gave me some little under steer in oppose to wild fishtailing. have the grip reduced and it feels a lot more like what I experience in real life.

Let's see, he beats my time and gets FM4 demo. Wow, life sure is fair to me :banghead:

OP updated, me deflated ... :(
lol

:lol: Sorry t.o. I got the code right after I ran that lap. I almost forgot to even post it I was so excited about getting the demo.

provisionally at 1:08.8 without manual clutch, so 0.6 second to gain once i can master it on the gt2, great wheel btw, so much more control on the limit now.

provisionally at 1:08.8 without manual clutch, so 0.6 second to gain once i can master it on the gt2, great wheel btw, so much more control on the limit now.

Welcome to a whole new world. I think the wheel just adds so much more to the game(s).

OP Updated. I guess with the demo now in the wild gonna be hard to get people to continue this. We'll see, it pretty much served it's purpose though. Made some of the time go by a little quicker.

Ok T.O.
Took a couple more runs with the Firebird.

Standing Start, no assists, cockpit view, wheel and clutch used:9:02.173
Flying start, same setup: 8:48.527

Welcome to a whole new world. I think the wheel just adds so much more to the game(s).

OP Updated. I guess with the demo now in the wild gonna be hard to get people to continue this. We'll see, it pretty much served it's purpose though. Made some of the time go by a little quicker.

I think you have mistaken JJ72 as RJS going by OP update. JJ72 has upgraded his wheel from the Microsoft wheel.

Anyway I was going to try this yesterday but Forza 4 demo got in the way ;).

I attempted it just now, time will probably be beaten by JJ72 but I will respond when he beats it. Time is below in correct format

saidur_ali . . . . . 1:08.359- Camino Viejo de Montserrat Circuit Reverse

35j083o.jpg

Sub 1:08 is definately possible for me. I think sub 1:07 will be doable for the top Forza players.

Car does what you want it to do, so very neutral handling.

Kreepnslayer well done for beating my time, if you want me to I will attempt to beat your time or leave it as this is not really a hot lap competition and the few laps I had previously with the car bored with me with the lack of grunt in the top end ;). How did you find the car, did you go easily full throttle through turns?

I probably won't be beating it anytime soon, the wheel desugn is very hard for me to use the button clutch, so just gave in 0.5 everylap.

And since Nurb GP is my fav testing track I have been running some laps as well! 2:07.576 is the time. (no clutch as well)

The car is very well balanced, better than the M3 earlier either, it can recover from understeer very easily and at any rev range some throttle can bring the tail around without spinning it up.

I probably won't be beating it anytime soon, the wheel desugn is very hard for me to use the button clutch, so just gave in 0.5 everylap.

And since Nurb GP is my fav testing track I have been running some laps as well! 2:07.576 is the time. (no clutch as well)

The car is very well balanced, better than the M3 earlier either, it can recover from understeer very easily and at any rev range some throttle can bring the tail around without spinning it up.

Will save me a good few minutes, thanks 👍. Actually I will probably not attempt it again so if others do beat the time they are welcome to the top spot.

Do you not have clutch pedal? How do you find F1 2011 on it with Kers and DRS if you have the game that is?

I think you have mistaken JJ72 as RJS going by OP update. JJ72 has upgraded his wheel from the Microsoft wheel.

Anyway I was going to try this yesterday but Forza 4 demo got in the way ;).

I attempted it just now, time will probably be beaten by JJ72 but I will respond when he beats it. Time is below in correct format

saidur_ali . . . . . 1:08.359- Camino Viejo de Montserrat Circuit Reverse

35j083o.jpg

Sub 1:08 is definately possible for me. I think sub 1:07 will be doable for the top Forza players.

Car does what you want it to do, so very neutral handling.

Kreepnslayer well done for beating my time, if you want me to I will attempt to beat your time or leave it as this is not really a hot lap competition and the few laps I had previously with the car bored with me with the lack of grunt in the top end ;). How did you find the car, did you go easily full throttle through turns?

Thanks man. If you like you can go beat it but it doesn't bother me if you do or don't. I was actually trying to get less than 9:00 minutes on the standing start, and after two attempts that was the best I could do. I'm not looking for bragging rights. The only reason I chose this one to start with is because I love the Ring and I like taking cars you wouldn't expect to find on it out for a lap.

The car wasnt too bad. It definitely runs outta steam above 5,000 RPM. I found that if I was hauling balls through a turn at higher RPM I could definitely give it a lot of throttle. I wouldnt say it was an ON/OFF switch though. In fact, in about any corner I could apply far too much throttle and swing the back end out or push the front and understeer through the corner.

Last night I fired up my xbox and drove a car around Sunset with a controller. I couldn't believe what a difference that steering aid makes. Ive probably used a controller 3 times in Forza 3.

I think some of our different experiences are definitely attributed to controller vs wheel use.

Anyway, I'm excited for the demo. I have no problems admitting I'm jealous you're already playing it. ;)

Will save me a good few minutes, thanks 👍. Actually I will probably not attempt it again so if others do beat the time they are welcome to the top spot.

Do you not have clutch pedal? How do you find F1 2011 on it with Kers and DRS if you have the game that is?

i am hooking it up with my G25 pedals and the game doesn't seem to recognise the clutch axis.

I have F1 on PC, and I am semi addicted to it already, probably the best driving challenge you can have against AI cars.

Thanks man. If you like you can go beat it but it doesn't bother me if you do or don't. I was actually trying to get less than 9:00 minutes on the standing start, and after two attempts that was the best I could do. I'm not looking for bragging rights. The only reason I chose this one to start with is because I love the Ring and I like taking cars you wouldn't expect to find on it out for a lap.

The car wasnt too bad. It definitely runs outta steam above 5,000 RPM. I found that if I was hauling balls through a turn at higher RPM I could definitely give it a lot of throttle. I wouldnt say it was an ON/OFF switch though. In fact, in about any corner I could apply far too much throttle and swing the back end out or push the front and understeer through the corner.

Last night I fired up my xbox and drove a car around Sunset with a controller. I couldn't believe what a difference that steering aid makes. Ive probably used a controller 3 times in Forza 3.

I think some of our different experiences are definitely attributed to controller vs wheel use.

Anyway, I'm excited for the demo. I have no problems admitting I'm jealous you're already playing it. ;)

I probably won't bother as I'd rather play Forza 4 demo as you can understand.

I understand that wheel and controller will be different. The steering aid on the wheel should feel a bit different as you can steer more, while controller it restricts the amount you can turn in in addition to the steering aid. If you drive really smoothly, like barely moving just over 90 degrees left or right I think the wheel should handle similar to the pad. I'm much better on a wheel than a pad on PC and PS3 racing games so I will probably could be faster and find it easier if I do get a wheel. I have probably played Forza 3 about 20 times with a pad so not much experience too on it.

I have already read a few impressions of people with a wheel on the FM4 demo and they still find the steering aid affects the wheel and it is still hard to lose control of a car purposely which I'm disappointed about as it is a similar experience to what I'm having with a pad. The cars are a bit more sensitive now so you can lose it through high speed corners that have bumps as it steers to correctly on a pad. The physics are definately a good step forward in all areas having said that and as you are a wheel user, the force feedback is meant to be a lot better so enjoy it.

i am hooking it up with my G25 pedals and the game doesn't seem to recognise the clutch axis.

I have F1 on PC, and I am semi addicted to it already, probably the best driving challenge you can have against AI cars.

How about Kers and DRS on the Fanatec. Is it comfortable to press the buttons while driving? How is it compared to G25 if you don't mind me asking?

Ok guys I think I got it all sorted out now. Take a peek and see if you guys see any mistakes I may have made. Nice to see the thread still has some steam left even with the FM4 demo in the wild. Of course , come October 11th this thread is dead ;). lol
Well I may not kill it but we'll just being doing our times in FM4 instead of FM3 provided there isn't a mechanism in the game to take care of that for us. Custom leaderboard or something.

OP Updated

How about Kers and DRS on the Fanatec. Is it comfortable to press the buttons while driving? How is it compared to G25 if you don't mind me asking?

It's okay because I can map them to the buttons closest to my thumbs on PC, also with F1 you don't steer that much and your hands always stay in place. Not a big difference from G25.

However reaching the fuel mix/tire choice is a bit difficult, as the Dpad is at the bottom of the wheel.

I still don't understand how a wheel user can say it's hard to lose control of a car on purpose. Maybe I just stink at this game, but I can lose control of nearly any car if I'm not on my game or I'm being stupid. I mean, people do understand that cars don't drive like it's icy out all the time, right?

They say though that you cam turn that controller steering aid completely off. I'm curious to see what a difference that makes in the feel and feedback in the wheel.

Anyway, ran a couple laps with the CTSV. I got a 1:09.549 so far. I'm sure there's more there, but man that Caddy is a drifter if you're not careful with the throttle. Yes. I said it. Cadillac + corners + accelerator = massive oversteer.

It's okay because I can map them to the buttons closest to my thumbs on PC, also with F1 you don't steer that much and your hands always stay in place. Not a big difference from G25.

However reaching the fuel mix/tire choice is a bit difficult, as the Dpad is at the bottom of the wheel.

That is what I like about my DFGT the most, buttons are easy to press. I like the new ClubSport wheel a lot, shame it is not 360 compatible as it seems the ultimate sim racing wheel with its hot-swap function. Do you find you are faster than the Microsoft wheel doing these random car challenges yet?

I still don't understand how a wheel user can say it's hard to lose control of a car on purpose. Maybe I just stink at this game, but I can lose control of nearly any car if I'm not on my game or I'm being stupid. I mean, people do understand that cars don't drive like it's icy out all the time, right?

They say though that you cam turn that controller steering aid completely off. I'm curious to see what a difference that makes in the feel and feedback in the wheel.

Anyway, ran a couple laps with the CTSV. I got a 1:09.549 so far. I'm sure there's more there, but man that Caddy is a drifter if you're not careful with the throttle. Yes. I said it. Cadillac + corners + accelerator = massive oversteer.
If my time is better than yours then you know damn well there's more, ALOT more. Go out there and get it! lol

OP Updated

That is what I like about my DFGT the most, buttons are easy to press. I like the new ClubSport wheel a lot, shame it is not 360 compatible as it seems the ultimate sim racing wheel with its hot-swap function. Do you find you are faster than the Microsoft wheel doing these random car challenges yet?

the new clubsport wheel is really just a CSR elite with a different rim? didn't read too much into that, but you should also consider the elite since it's more a race car design, big red buttons on the face of the plate can't be hard to use.

Faster I am not sure, but I have found a whole new level of extra control especially in small angle slides and understeering situations, with the MS wheel i just felt a deadzone while the steering aid sort itself out, with this wheel I can control it much better and it is very useful in actual racing conditions.

The MS does provide much more contrast between loaded/unloaded, griping/sliding tires because of it's lighter build, with this wheel it is more like a real car with hydralic assist, the sensation are more subtle and subdued, But in return there's absolutely no deadzone and totally smooth. It feels especially good on PC with LFS etc.

Here is a link to the post: amar212 seems to have a lot of praise for FM4 until you get to the bottom of it, which mentions all the flaws in FM3 that put me off playing FM3 as a sim and thinking about getting a wheel for it. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5960058#post5960058

I think it depends on driving style and positioning of car. I said the Cadillac has a very neutral handling and JJ72 mentioned afterwards it is very well balanced and he is using a wheel and you are calling it a drifter. Amazing the different experiences people have. I can understand what you mean though, if I change my driving style in the game but if I drive the same way I do in GT5 and other PC sims it can feel very arcadey for me. I'm not expecting to drive on ice but expecting the car to be able to lose a car driving recklessly while correcting it when getting badly out of shape. Some people think GT5 is like driving on ice driving the comfort tyres while I find them very good and realistic. Require progressive throttle, smooth driving and then the car is as stable as it should be.

Here is an example of the same person driving Forza 4 and also driving in GT5 with Comfort Medium tyres.

FM4 with a wheel a few minutes into the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09mNEOyYcdo

GT5 with TCS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBv03VsAL-o

Same event, very good driver with no TCS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrNEp-JO3ys

Like in real life, the same driver can look amazing driving a car with aids, once they are turned off, a driver can look pretty bad by spinning out. FM4 driving with no aids is quite straight forward and can make you look like a pro, main reason is due to it being hard to lose the car even if you have bad throttle control. The game also is constantly correcting the car for you.

the new clubsport wheel is really just a CSR elite with a different rim? didn't read too much into that, but you should also consider the elite since it's more a race car design, big red buttons on the face of the plate can't be hard to use.

Faster I am not sure, but I have found a whole new level of extra control especially in small angle slides and understeering situations, with the MS wheel i just felt a deadzone while the steering aid sort itself out, with this wheel I can control it much better and it is very useful in actual racing conditions.

The MS does provide much more contrast between loaded/unloaded, griping/sliding tires because of it's lighter build, with this wheel it is more like a real car with hydralic assist, the sensation are more subtle and subdued, But in return there's absolutely no deadzone and totally smooth. It feels especially good on PC with LFS etc.
No hot-swapping though and the ClubSport has the new BMW wheel revealed today which has a real race car wheel design but that should be made available also for the Elite.

Thanks for the wheel comparison.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the post: amar212 seems to have a lot of praise for FM4 until you get to the bottom of it, which mentions all the flaws in FM3 that put me off playing FM3 as a sim and thinking about getting a wheel for it. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5960058#post5960058

I think it depends on driving style and positioning of car. I said the Cadillac has a very neutral handling and JJ72 mentioned afterwards it is very well balanced and he is using a wheel and you are calling it a drifter. Amazing the different experiences people have. I can understand what you mean though, if I change my driving style in the game but if I drive the same way I do in GT5 and other PC sims it can feel very arcadey for me. I'm not expecting to drive on ice but expecting the car to be able to lose a car driving recklessly while correcting it when getting badly out of shape. Some people think GT5 is like driving on ice driving the comfort tyres while I find them very good and realistic. Require progressive throttle, smooth driving and then the car is as stable as it should be.

Here is an example of the same person driving Forza 4 and also driving in GT5 with Comfort Medium tyres.

FM4 with a wheel a few minutes into the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09mNEOyYcdo

GT5 with TCS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBv03VsAL-o

Same event, very good driver with no TCS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrNEp-JO3ys

Like in real life, the same driver can look amazing driving a car with aids, once they are turned off, a driver can look pretty bad by spinning out. FM4 driving with no aids is quite straight forward and can make you look like a pro, main reason is due to it being hard to lose the car even if you have bad throttle control. The game also is constantly correcting the car for you.

No hot-swapping though and the ClubSport has the new BMW wheel revealed today which has a real race car wheel design but that should be made available also for the Elite.

Thanks for the wheel comparison.
Take it to the FM vs GT thread.

Latest Posts

Back