Driving etiquette: "dive bombing" corners.

United States
Los Angeles area, CA
I was reading through the charter of one of the groups here, and one of their rules stood out: no dive-bombing corners.

Presumably, that means braking as late as possible, coming into the corner fast.

I mostly play against the AI, so this is my usual driving strategy. When driving with actual people, is this generally considered poor form?

I was reading through the charter of one of the groups here, and one of their rules stood out: no dive-bombing corners.

Presumably, that means braking as late as possible, coming into the corner fast.

I mostly play against the AI, so this is my usual driving strategy. When driving with actual people, is this generally considered poor form?
Never even heard of that. I think all it matters is you race clean and don't cut corners. I don't think this is poor form in the slightest.

When you get around to racing in leagues, or regularly in some race rooms you'll find dive bombing to be a risky move. It can be seen as dirty driving, more so since it will usually result in contact. Sometimes doing this is unintentional but there are those that try.

"Dive-bombing"

If you were the only car on the track and you went in that fast/ that line would you make the corner?

Do you need to crash into someone else to make the corner?

Would you be completely cutting someone off who's already turned in on their racing line?

If yes to any of the above = Dive-bombing

When you are racing with real people, the braking points are almost identical, so in order to overtake you have to brake later and have some overlap. Dive-bombing is when you brake so late that you can't hold the inside line and obligates the other driver to open his line in order to avoid contact. That is wrong. But if the other driver is slow and braking too early, you have the right to brake later and get the position, holding your line.

If you want to brake later without the danger of taking the other driver off, try taking the outside line when is possible.

Like @Robbks said, if you're cutting off someone else's line when they're already in front of you, it's a divebomb.

upload_2015-4-22_19-6-36.png

Yes, instead make sure that you can get alongside them (by about half way) before the turn in point for the corner, and that you can slow the car down enough to give the other driver space on the outside in case he's still alongside on exit.

Like @Robbks said, if you're cutting off someone else's line when they're already in front of you, it's a divebomb.

View attachment 352451
I understand what the picture is illustrating, but is this only followed in friendly "gentlemens" racing, or all forms of racing. Reason I ask is that type of line seems to be typical of a lot of the passes seen in many high level, real life racing leagues.

The red car is using his car to block the blue car's line, thus forcing himself into the lead position. Unless I'm missing something, this seems to happen all the time in leagues like BTCC, V8 Supercars, DTM, GT racing, and more. I know block passing is also very common in Motocross and Supercross, and is seen as hard racing as opposed to dirty.

Also, isn't a line like that generally how an over-under repass takes place?

Or is what I'm missing the fact that the red car should be further alongside the blue car before taking command of the line?

I've followed different forms of racing on and off pretty much my whole life, but only got into racing online about 6 months ago....so I'm still learning a lot. I'm looking for clarification for myself, not trying to say whether you're right or wrong.

I understand what the picture is illustrating, but is this only followed in friendly "gentlemens" racing, or all forms of racing. Reason I ask is that type of line seems to be typical of a lot of the passes seen in many high level, real life racing leagues.

The red car is using his car to block the blue car's line, thus forcing himself into the lead position. Unless I'm missing something, this seems to happen all the time in leagues like BTCC, V8 Supercars, DTM, GT racing, and more. I know block passing is also very common in Motocross and Supercross, and is seen as hard racing as opposed to dirty.

Also, isn't a line like that generally how an over-under repass takes place?

Or is what I'm missing the fact that the red car should be further alongside the blue car before taking command of the line?

I've followed different forms of racing on and off pretty much my whole life, but only got into racing online about 6 months ago....so I'm still learning a lot. I'm looking for clarification for myself, not trying to say whether you're right or wrong.
The picture was made to show the point: one driver trying to go for a gap usually resulting in a collision. Don't think too deep into it.

No contact, no foul.
Unless I'm missing something, this seems to happen all the time in leagues like BTCC, V8 Supercars, DTM, GT racing, and more. I know block passing is also very common in Motocross and Supercross, and is seen as hard racing as opposed to dirty.

These are VERY good points, just because you got to the prime position first doesn't give you claim to the entire corner. Making someone slow down to avoid contact with you doesn't, in my opinion, make it dirty racing. If you can pass the other car without contact and stay on the track before, during and after the corner then it's a fair pass. Of course it make the other driver mad, but that doesn't mean it's dirty. It's racing, who can fairly cross the finish like first, not who can drive the identical lines the fastest. If that's what you want to do compete in Time Trials.
I hope I used their quotes correctly, but I think they meant the same thing, if not then I apologize.

Last edited:
These are VERY good points, just because you got to the prime position first doesn't give you claim to the entire corner. Making someone slow down to avoid contact with you doesn't, in my opinion, make it dirty racing. If you can pass the other car without contact and stay on the track before, during and after the corner then it's a fair pass. Of course it make the other driver mad, but that doesn't mean it's dirty. It's racing, who can fairly cross the finish like first, not who can drive the identical lines the fastest. If that's what you want to do compete in Time Trials.
I hope I used their quotes correctly, but I think they meant the same thing, if not then I apologize.

Indeed, if you want a certain part of the track for yourself you better make sure you cover it.

i always make sure im at the back of the pack in a race, because theres always some bugger (or two) who think they can pull of one of those moves on the first corner (especially bathurst). i then cruise casually through the corner and somehow end up in the podium.

My understanding of real life racing is that any driver can attempt a pass at anytime, however, when contact is made with a significant consequence for a driver, the officials look for blame and may apply penalty. The indicator appears to be relating to if the car behind has reached a certain point of the car ahead.

As the penalty review does not occur while playing online, then it appears to be an etiquette rule.

Cheers

I consider it dive bombing if the car making the move wouldn't make the corner without coming into contact with the driver being passed. No contact = not a dive bomb. See Nico Rosberg's moves on Seb Vettel at Bahrain last weekend. Very agressive down the inside at the last moment, Nico even ran wide on the exit and compromised his run out of the corner, and forced Seb to go really wide and back right off to avoid contact. Not a dive bomb because he still made the corner (just), just hard racing.

As a Ferrari fan I wasn't happy about it, but it was fair.

As i'm a slow in/ fast out kind of driver, i really hate that kind of move (dive bombing)
sure, for the guy behind who comes really fast, totally late on brake and see that
wow that guy let me the door open, let's go in ..
but he totally forget that i'll aim the apex and put full gaz on
resulting in the drawing above (#7)
- if there is no contact,
it's called block passing because i won't be able to accelerate and i'll have to avoid the contact if i don't want a penalty
in GT6 most of the time it's the guy outside coming inside that get the penalty
it's hard driving and a not really fairplay
so what do i do ? i'll loose a bit of time and change my line so if he is not able to control that i'll hit my back and he will get the penalty (protecting my place)
i don't do that if i will be overlaped (not fair at all) resulting in a black flag (go out) in real life

- if there is a contact .. well most of the time the dive bomber will shout at you saying you didn't gave room for him and you're a bad driver ( AH AH )

anyway, it depends of the rules in place and the level of fair play in the lobby
is there any kind of penalties, are the damage on, do the players accept hard driving ?

it's sometimes a good laugh for me when i see one of those coming too late and making a lot of smoke in front of me and goes hit the barrier :D

but for sure, a real true dive bomber is someone that use other cars to be able to turn and that is unacceptable
someone like that doesn't stay for long in the lobby, better stay playing offline

The way we view it in our club is that you need significant overlap (ie. about half way up the lead car) by the turn in point in order to be able to claim corner rights, else you need to back off.
A late lunge/dive bomb with no overlap when the other driver has already commited to the corner is only going to earn you a penalty, along with a bad reputation if you keep doing it.
I personally see it as bad sportsmanship if you cause another driver the need to change their line mid corner without getting alongside first.

Block passing is perfectly fair. If you don't like it - learn how to take a defensive line into the braking zone. Don't take a wide entry and just expect people close behind to not attempt a pass. That tactic would guarantee getting passed in real life racing

It's very simple: if you manage to make a move without touching other car - go ahead. No problems.

But if you use other car as an object to make your car stop better (slamming into it) - then it's bad. Don't do that, ever.

I really only play against AI so I have a very bad habit of doing this. This is catastrophic on narrow tracks and/or cars that understeer.

yeah that's what i said, i block it and if he can't brake enough, he will hit me and get the penalty ;)
What I meant is that you have to close the door before he is seeing an opened one, and thinks to use it. :) 👍

Back