Driving "flat-out"

• Thread starter dkstz
  • 24 comments
Brazil
São Paulo, SP, Brazil
arten_v
What exactly the drivers mean with driving flat-out? No brakes, what else?
They've asid that alot in last rally, on interviews...

edit: when they drive like that??

English is not my native language, so this explanation is based on gathered info from multiple sources over years :).

I think driving flat-out means driving with full speed, highest speed possible with that car on that track in driver's opinion. Driving without braking would be stupid, but with driving flat-out brakes are used as little as possible or even better - only when necessary.

They drive like that, when driver's are chasing somebody (usually), attacking the best time on track or trying to get away from very fast chasing driver.

There is also another meaning of that phrase, that I've heard. It is said sometimes, that a corner can be taken flat out (on track), and that would mean, that that corner can be taken at full speed, no need for braking or lifting foot off accelerator at any moment during that corner.

I always thought it was pretty self explanitory. Flat out = fast as possible.
vipersan descibed it good. Pushing themselves and the car to the limits of physics for the track.

Yup. You may be thinking "why do they not drive flat out all the time?" This is because they are more likeley to wipe out. Generally some one who is 2mins up will take it easy while the person behind will drive flat out to try and catch up.

I believe the term is derived from having the accellerator peddle "flat to the floor" and your leg "all the way out", perhaps.

On Top Gear when they do their celebrity runs in the "reasonably priced car", Jeremy always asks them if they were "flat out" around one bend between two straight stretches. The car can handle it but the driver isn't always prepared for it and will usually lift their foot off the accellerator.

Also remember that sometimes the stages in rallies can determine if it's possible to be driven flat out - since there are bumps/obstacles unlike racetracks, and sometimes it can be harmful to the car to drive flat out in these parts of the rally.

driving at full whack lol. pushing the car to its limits

usually ends up with the car wrapped around the next tree

chinko
driving at full whack lol. pushing the car to its limits

usually ends up with the car wrapped around the next tree

Not if you know what the hell you are doing
ghostrider_h4h.gif

driving flat out is just putting your right foot completely down and not lifting off at all. just going all out. taking a corner or straightaway as physicly fast as possible with no margin for error.

VTRacing
I guess I didn't....

This is what comes from driving flat-out

Yes...it's my car :(

UUpst!

I Hope You and your co-driver weren´t hurt!

Can you repare the car or is it too much damaged ?

Greetings

Kutscher

Hi Kutscher,

The funny thing is we actually drove that car out of the stage to get it back to service. The drivetrain was not damaged, neither was most of the suspension.

The chassis on the other hand, we had to throw away. You can see on the photo how much it is twisted, and the roll cage was broken.

We found a new shell and transferred the bits from the old car into the new.

VTRacing
Hi Kutscher,

The funny thing is we actually drove that car out of the stage to get it back to service. The drivetrain was not damaged, neither was most of the suspension.

The chassis on the other hand, we had to throw away. You can see on the photo how much it is twisted, and the roll cage was broken.

We found a new shell and transferred the bits from the old car into the new.

Hm, so you had a bit luck in that bad luck. (Hope you understand what I mean)

Are You driving rallyes (semi) / pro or as your hobby?

We were fortunate to be able to salvage anything, given how fast we were going.

Last year I was concentrating on the rallying, doing the entire Australian Championship. But this year it's become more of a hobby, doing it for fun. There was a lot of stress and pressure last year. Not to mention the amount of money it cost us.

VTRacing
We were fortunate to be able to salvage anything, given how fast we were going.

Last year I was concentrating on the rallying, doing the entire Australian Championship. But this year it's become more of a hobby, doing it for fun. There was a lot of stress and pressure last year. Not to mention the amount of money it cost us.

Not bad!

Your Subaru is a Group N car, or ?

I would like to race too... But I can´t afford it while I am studying...
Maybe next year... some small races to begin...

Yeah, start small. I started with a Suzuki Swift GTi. 1300cc twin cam engine, revving to 9500 rpm 👍

My Subaru is Group A, but very close to Group N. Just a slightly bigger restrictor. Plus we can make some modifications to reduce the cost of the car (by making things stronger so they last longer).

Cost reducing is always a good thing.

Next Year I will have to look through the reglements...

I was thinking of using a Swift GTi as the first car, too! 👍

In Germany the GTi has 101hp stock with the 1300cc engine.

9500rpm? What modifications have you done to the engine?

How many hp did your Swift had?

Kutscher80
Cost reducing is always a good thing.

Next Year I will have to look through the reglements...

I was thinking of using a Swift GTi as the first car, too! 👍

In Germany the GTi has 101hp stock with the 1300cc engine.

9500rpm? What modifications have you done to the engine?

How many hp did your Swift had?

Ah, it's hard to remember now (it was about 5 years ago). But it had been re-chipped, bigger exhaust, different fuel pump.

I can't remember if there were any major modifications to the engine, but I don't think so. Maybe slightly higher compression ratio. Suzuki make great engines so basically with the ECU re-tuned you can make much more power.

It made about 95-100 hp at the wheels, so that's roughly 130-140 hp. But we were also running racing fuel (leaded aviation fuel, which you can't do anymore here) which had over 100 octane.

I always think flat out = showing the bigger balls, no lift, no brake, pedal to the metal. Making the corner is another matter :lol:, come to think of it, for me, it's always related to my younger days of street racing when my mate would dare someone to flat out, how long can you go :lol:

Back