DS4 snap countersteer lock (read OP)

I just tried drifting after the new update, I play with the DS4 and it feels great, it was trickier before, but its SIGNIFICANTLY easier now. Throttle modulation, and subtle steering are all key.
What car you using to drift, FR and other drive train has huge different this time.

I used the GT86 GRMN (fully upgraded on CS tyres) to get the 1,000,000 drift point award and the drift trophy.

Set toe to 0, LSD to 5,60,5, and front camber to 2. Otherwise stock. Very easy to drift - stable, transitions smoothly and can use big throttle openings in high gears without spinning. I was scoring 28-30k an entry on Suzuka East (I'm not a great drifter!).

I used the GT86 GRMN (fully upgraded on CS tyres) to get the 1,000,000 drift point award and the drift trophy.

Set toe to 0, LSD to 5,60,5, and front camber to 2. Otherwise stock. Very easy to drift - stable, transitions smoothly and can use big throttle openings in high gears without spinning. I was scoring 28-30k an entry on Suzuka East (I'm not a great drifter!).

Yeah that's good car to drift, Posche sportclub aslo hard to spin out, but that's only few cars like this.

Not sure if this is on point cause you guys are talking about the aspects of countersteer, but what they seem to be doing is just increasing the overall steering sensitivity, min/max. I think it was 1.3 that I had to lower the sensitivity all the way to -2 to keep me from jerking my front end every time I touched the stick <-- umm, I don't mean that how it reads...;)

Anyways, now after 1.5 the steering is too squirrelly again and I can't lower it any further.

What they're doing isn't fixing your problem. It's just breaking something else. It forced me to play around with the motion control steering which seemed to allude to where the problem may lie. It seemed that the steering wheel in the cockpit view at a specific setting would turn about 1:1 with my hands up to a point and then would desync and get progressively worse the farther I turned the wheel.

Is that indicative of something? Looked to me like the rate of rotation increases with input as well as the angle.

I hope I'm making sense.

Not sure if this is on point cause you guys are talking about the aspects of countersteer, but what they seem to be doing is just increasing the overall steering sensitivity, min/max. I think it was 1.3 that I had to lower the sensitivity all the way to -2 to keep me from jerking my front end every time I touched the stick <-- umm, I don't mean that how it reads...;)

Anyways, now after 1.5 the steering is too squirrelly again and I can't lower it any further.

What they're doing isn't fixing your problem. It's just breaking something else. It forced me to play around with the motion control steering which seemed to allude to where the problem may lie. It seemed that the steering wheel in the cockpit view at a specific setting would turn about 1:1 with my hands up to a point and then would desync and get progressively worse the farther I turned the wheel.

Is that indicative of something? Looked to me like the rate of rotation increases with input as well as the angle.

I hope I'm making sense.

Yeah i have the same though as you, it is a tricky problem, since we can't accurately describe the problem to PD.

It seemed that the steering wheel in the cockpit view at a specific setting would turn about 1:1 with my hands up to a point and then would desync and get progressively worse the farther I turned the wheel.
The steering wheel animation has been like that for the whole time I've played. Open demo to 1.05.

Stop caring about at the steering wheel animation and watch the wheels instead.

I've said this at least 10 times.

For me the steering on a controller after the 1.03 update was perfect - with the settings on the default.

Having played 1.05, it now feels squirrely, erratic and generally worse. The front end feels light, and the cars have no weight to them like they used to. Even after turning down the sensitivity as far as it would go it's just a horrible change.

PD surely know what they're doing with controllers. And they got it right pretty much to begin with, and after a small tweak in 1.03 it was perfect. I just don't get why it needed changing.

If anyone can tell me why it's better now, please do!

Hey mates,
I've been following this thread in the very beginning when everybody had big trouble with the slow steering input. I have a question right now and I admit I'm a bit lazy re-reading everything, so this might already be answered.
Does the red dot steering indicator in the HUD sync in any way with the actual movement of the front wheels or is it just another 'animation' ?
Regarding the HUD there is too big a gap ( about 0.5 sec ) from lock to begin of countersteer in some situations. Shouldn't the red dot move instantly to the other side when I move the stick ?

Hey mates,
I've been following this thread in the very beginning when everybody had big trouble with the slow steering input. I have a question right now and I admit I'm a bit lazy re-reading everything, so this might already be answered.
Does the red dot steering indicator in the HUD sync in any way with the actual movement of the front wheels or is it just another 'animation' ?
Regarding the HUD there is too big a gap ( about 0.5 sec ) from lock to begin of countersteer in some situations. Shouldn't the red dot move instantly to the other side when I move the stick ?

The red dot is syncronised to the front wheels of the car, but only loosely follows the inputs from the DS4. I think they did this for 1.05 possibly due to the in car camera showing the steering wheel 'twitching' for those players who turn corners with a series of 'taps' rather than a smooth transition/input, if that makes sense. It really bugs me.

I also think the handling model was altered on 1.05 to make the cars more forgiving, so when you clip the grass on an exit it feels like the game helps you out a bit (like an assist), which also bugs me..

They need to introduce a 'sim' and 'arcade' handling setting as everything feels far to arcady now. If fact, I have to drive cars with RH at the front and RM on the back with diff to stop the cars sliding out as the cars don't seem to move as well as they used to when watching drifting replays etc.

Latest Posts

Back