DS4 snap countersteer lock (read OP)

Slovakia
Slovakia
dawko-san
Original thread name "DS4 steering way too unresponsive"

Guys, in beta controlling cars with DS4 was a joy but now the steering is awful. It's so unresponsive I cannot make a single countersteer move without crashing. Even on controller sensitivity set on the highest (7) the wheels just don't move fast enough.

Please tell me somebody else feels this it's driving me crazy.

Also, if anyone has a twitter account please tweet Kaz or GT what's wrong with this.

Thank you.

EDIT: PD adressed this issue in known issues list, promises to fix it.
EDIT: update 1.03 was supposed to fix this but really it didn't.

Video example:

EDIT: update 1.05 somewhat fixed the slow steering reactions vs controller inputs, but snap oversteer lock is still present and prevents players from high speed drifting/corrections.

Last edited:
I have noticed this as well. Unfortunately I didn’t get access to the beta. However, people I do know that had access to it, said DS4 felt similar to GT6. With this in mind I had high hopes for the GTS demo. Counter steering is basically impossible. The steering goes full lock and doesn’t come out of full lock fast enough to be able to correct. Even when you’re not sliding the steering feels very sluggish. I’ve tried everything from moving force feedback sensitivity and torque as well as controller sensitivity. Tried running similar settings to GT6 and nothing has helped thus far (mind you the demo has only been out for all of 5 hours). I’m hoping it’ll be fixed in the full version as I highly doubt we’ll see some sort of update to a demo before the full release. You can still race pretty damn hard, just try to avoid oversteer (hell even understeer) as much as possible.

I've just jumped to play it a bit, w/out connecting the wheel and it's terrible. Tried drifting and i was washing out constantly.

I'mma be honest, I was playing it via remote play (less than ideal, but I'm too impatient) and I have to say it wasn't that bad. It's got a slightly realistic feel to it. Whilst it could be a bit sharper, drifting etc. was achievable - I just had to adjust my counter-steering technique.

Much like in a real car, a lot of your input needs to be planned ahead (more-so in this version of the game compared to previous versions) which - whilst frustrating in a game - does give a sense of achievement when getting it right.

EDIT: Also, don't forget there is an option to enable 'assisted countersteer' - whilst all the purists will be going "I WANT TO DRIVE UNAIDED" I think if it helps you have fun then crack on.

I turned everything off, personally, but I don't have problems with enabling driver aids if it helps me have fun. I used quite a few aids in Pcars

I'mma be honest, I was playing it via remote play (less than ideal, but I'm too impatient) and I have to say it wasn't that bad. It's got a slightly realistic feel to it. Whilst it could be a bit sharper, drifting etc. was achievable - I just had to adjust my counter-steering technique.

Much like in a real car, a lot of your input needs to be planned ahead (more-so in this version of the game compared to previous versions) which - whilst frustrating in a game - does give a sense of achievement when getting it right.

EDIT: Also, don't forget there is an option to enable 'assisted countersteer' - whilst all the purists will be going "I WANT TO DRIVE UNAIDED" I think if it helps you have fun then crack on.

I turned everything off, personally, but I don't have problems with enabling driver aids if it helps me have fun. I used quite a few aids in Pcars
it's day and night closed beta vs this demo

Aren't there steering sensitivity settings for the controller in settings?

I find the countersteering is fine and more realistic on pad, got to be more careful with the throttle input. The N group is pretty easy to control. In Beta with the GR4 cars I tried it was way too easy to correct the car at high speeds with simply turning in the opposite direction. Now they have more of a snap oversteer that's harder to correct.

Btw, have you tried turning on any aids to see if countersteering is easier for you and more similar to the beta? I didn't have much time to try it when I played.

it's day and night closed beta vs this demo
Not arguing that it's different from the closed beta at all - it very much is - but my personal sentiments is that it handles more like a real car and takes a certain amount of planning when drifting...

I'm not saying it is better or worse, it is just different and - in my opinion - more like drifting a real car.

Far from 'IMPOSSIBRU'

I concur that just like a real car, lock-to-lock isn't instant. It takes time for wheel inputs to translate and you need to think ahead. I noticed that immediately when driving through the gates and hitting the cones. I might look at the settings but it felt pretty good to me out of the box.

You can turn up the DS4 steering sensitivity, it comes at a default setting to mimic actually turning a wheel from lock to lock without being a darty jarring feeling for the masses. Just head to the advanced setting in driving options and you can increase DS4 steering sensitivity. See if this remedies your problems with the steering, right now I am still running it stock but I did notice the slowness but it wasn't bothersome, driving road cars doesn't seem to warrant speedy wheel inputs.

Honestly haven't had a issue with unresponsiveness, feels good to me much better than the beta. Feels like there is no deadzone on the stick and minor movement makes minor adjustments. Can't wait to try it on a wheel but going to have to sell a kidney for that so gonna be a while

Can confirm it, somehow the DS4 controlls are pretty weird now! Beta was alot better. But the physics also feel messed up.

Like anything in life, pick a starting point and practice. You'll get used to any differences that you're used to and it'll become the norm.
Like anything else in gaming we can all have personal preferences on how we like things to work and, at the same time, game developers can and do mess with things that were working perfectly fine. Slower response is slower response and no amount of practice will change that.

Honestly haven't had a issue with unresponsiveness, feels good to me much better than the beta. Feels like there is no deadzone on the stick and minor movement makes minor adjustments. Can't wait to try it on a wheel but going to have to sell a kidney for that so gonna be a while

Are you kidding?

Like anything else in gaming we can all have personal preferences on how we like things to work and, at the same time, game developers can and do mess with things that were working perfectly fine. Slower response is slower response and no amount of practice will change that.
I never said it would. Nor did I say you can't have personal preferences. But what I said I still stand by. Practice and you'll get better, and it will soon become second nature.

I never said it would. Nor did I say you can't have personal preferences. But what I said I still stand by. Practice and you'll get better, and it will soon become second nature.
Practice and you'll get better isn't a solution to the potential problem of unresponsiveness with the DS4 nor does it really add to the discussion . I think most of us would rather see people talking about the issue and trying to discover it's source and possible workarounds as opposed to ignoring it and trying to adapt to something you don't like or want.

Practice and you'll get better isn't a solution to the potential problem of unresponsiveness with the DS4 nor does it really add to the discussion . I think most of us would rather see people talking about the issue and trying to discover it's source and possible workarounds as opposed to ignoring it and trying to adapt to something you don't like or want.
Have you tried it with a ds4?

Back