DS4 snap countersteer lock (read OP)

:cheers: thanks :D I am very eager to try it after work
No worries! I'm just rendering my video now, once that's done I'll upload it and embed it in my post :)

Should mention, the main thing that I've found is that the car will no longer throw itself to the other side. Like, your steering input isn't locked to the direction you're spinning until you've spun anymore, you pretty much have free reign throughout the slide.

EDIT: Video is up and has processed to 1080p60! @Lord Protector

Last edited:
Can you say it feels somewhat the same now as in gt5/6?
In terms of controllability it happily gets pretty damn close from what I've tested. The cars still have that lovely sense of weight that was not present in GT5/GT6, so in that sense it's a bit different but the drivability is a marked improvement. Having said that you still have to treat it with some respect, it is a bit more sensitive to overcorrection I've found than in GT5/GT6. I elaborated on my thoughts in my post above a little.

Should mention, the main thing that I've found is that the car will no longer throw itself to the other side. Like, your steering input isn't locked to the direction you're spinning until you've spun anymore, you pretty much have free reign throughout the slide.

Yep, this issue is definately fixed now. I never play on controller but the one time I did before this update it was awful, spun out at every countersteer I tried to make. Now after the update it feels very controllable. I just even completed a drift trial with a pretty nice score while I suck at drifting. :P

No worries! I'm just rendering my video now, once that's done I'll upload it and embed it in my post :)

EDIT: Video is up and has processed to 1080p60! @Lord Protector

Many thanks for the video - steering looks very quick and responsive now, like they've copied the steering settings you get on the rally courses (which is all I really wanted). Good stuff 👍

Yep, this issue is definately fixed now. I never play on controller but the one time I did before this update it was awful, spun out at every countersteer I tried to make. Now after the update it feels very controllable. I just even completed a drift trial with a pretty nice score while I suck at drifting. :P
that's great to know! now you can drive with power fuel map or I'll kick your ass :P

An update for Gran Turismo Sport has been released. The following is a list of features:
Other improvements and adjustments
- The controller steering sensitivity of the DUALSHOCK®4 wireless controller has been increased in order to improve handling during oversteering and drifting;

Thank you for your continued support and please continue to enjoy Gran Turismo Sport!

🤬 finally! Dialing in the right setup just so I wouldn't spin out while initiating the countersteer has been an absolute nightmare. Can't wait to try it :D

Well I just tried it. It is better but not as good as GT6 or closed beta. So I still can see a room for improvement. I don't get it why they don't make it work like it worked in closed beta. Or just give us higher number of sensitivity like 10.

Yeah I found it bizarre that the maximum sensitivity is 7. Not 5, not 10, but 7. And 7 isn't even quick enough. We really need that 10 sensitivity.

Much better. A little more jerky than GT6 but that might also be that I have sensitivity at 7 since that is what I had to use to play the game prior to the fix.

I said earlier that update 1.03 made this better but that is when I only tried drifting. Yes, drifting is now easier but only in slow speeds. Here is an example how things end when driving the car fast and countersteer becomes necessary:

I am not over exaggerating. Catching an oversteering skid in high speed is impossible! You'll get thrown off the road every time because of steering lag. This is me trying to have fun with the cars. All cars are fully stock except my Impreza Gr. 3, I had countersteering assist turned on strong. I consider myself a good driver I was able to catch all of these fails in the closed beta or GT6. Controller sensitivity 7.

We need the sensitivity from closed beta to come back! This steering lag is killing all fun in the game I actually hate it as it is.

Some cars are relatively ok, while others (like Mercedes AMG GTS) is pain to drive.

Issue still not fixed, I tried it early this morning and the same over-sensitivity of the DS4 when you lose traction is still there. Why doesn't PD even test that at all. The DS4 is fine until you break traction then the sensitivity goes way up to where you can go from neutral to lock way too fast it feels almost like you lost power steering and the wheels get thrown to whatever direction you turned to first. The increase in speed may mitigate some of the issue like I tried before the patch and in the Demo but high speed drifting will still plant you in a wall due to lack of correctness in steering. Something is causing a change in DS4 sensitivity whenever traction is broken and that is what PD needs to fix. Where do I go to complain and describe this to them, since they obviously didn't check the Beta forum post. The onscreen read out of wheel position is still out of calibration with range of analog stick movement. This is still a temporary fix and a band-aid in my eyes. I need specific instructions on where to post this bug for PD to actually look at the problem plaguing DS4 inputs under specific circumstances. Heck when you do flat out hard launches you get the same problem and worse with the speed of steering causing more harm than good IMHO.

@Lord Protector, What you're experiencing as lag is actually your steering input being read too acute. If you check replays of any of your drifts when you start to drift use the in car view and watch to see when the avatar goes to lock. When the avatar goes to lock the wheels of the car do immediately end up at lock but it is traveling towards that, which means the game has already decided more steering angle than you actually wanted, which turns into the absurd snapping from one direction to the next as you battle to counter steer your way out of this. It's not actually lag but the game still correctly moves the steering through it's course but if your DS4 is being read too close to it's movement then it's getting too much input. How can light taps to lock on the analog stick register as full lock in the wheel, that shouldn't be happening and what seems to be happening in direct relation to drift is fighting the forces applied by traction of the steering wheels(that bite). The bite is a normal result of what is going on with lateral forces applied to the tires, problem is all our inputs are read incorrectly(way too close to 1:1) leading to more input transmitted to the steering wheels of the car. This explains starting a drift and then the moment you steer into the drift the car literally wants to go where the wheels are turned i.e right turn drift, the car steering is a bit left(DS4 will probably reach lock and you steer left completely off the road). Should not be reaching lock, the DS4 should not be registering lock in the first place. PD has always had this down, it works that way at a standstill you have to hold the analog in lock for the wheel to actually steer there and if you let go while it's still on it's way it will register that you canceled lock respond accordingly. So why in the world is it not responding correctly when you drift?

Feels like FFB you experience with a wheel may be bleeding into DS4 control mapping(when traction is broken) or my original idea that we are getting oversensitive steering input reads when we break traction. Those are the only two things I can think of to explain the insane way the steering goes nuts under traction loss.

Last edited:
I said earlier that update 1.03 made this better but that is when I only tried drifting. Yes, drifting is now easier but only in slow speeds. Here is an example how things end when driving the car fast and countersteer becomes necessary:

I am not over exaggerating. Catching an oversteering skid in high speed is impossible! You'll get thrown off the road every time because of steering lag. This is me trying to have fun with the cars. All cars are fully stock except my Impreza Gr. 3, I had countersteering assist turned on strong. I consider myself a good driver I was able to catch all of these fails in the closed beta or GT6. Controller sensitivity 7.

We need the sensitivity from closed beta to come back! This steering lag is killing all fun in the game I actually hate it as it is.

Some cars are relatively ok, while others (like Mercedes AMG GTS) is pain to drive.

I'd like to see an incar view to see your steering wheel input. Although it can be tough to correct over steer, I've found it only to be really hard work when turning on a harsh lock, or using to much turning input for the corner. If your steering is progressive, I've found catching the car to be possible. I don't drive as heavy handed as you look to be.

I drive with DS4 cockpit view JFYI.

*Sorry, just read another post which explains about the counter steer lock sensitivity. I get what you're saying. My apologies.

Last edited:
Issue still not fixed, I tried it early this morning and the same over-sensitivity of the DS4 when you lose traction is still there. Why doesn't PD even test that at all. The DS4 is fine until you break traction then the sensitivity goes way up to where you can go from neutral to lock way too fast it feels almost like you lost power steering and the wheels get thrown to whatever direction you turned to first. The increase in speed may mitigate some of the issue like I tried before the patch and in the Demo but high speed drifting will still plant you in a wall due to lack of correctness in steering. Something is causing a change in DS4 sensitivity whenever traction is broken and that is what PD needs to fix. Where do I go to complain and describe this to them, since they obviously didn't check the Beta forum post. The onscreen read out of wheel position is still out of calibration with range of analog stick movement. This is still a temporary fix and a band-aid in my eyes. I need specific instructions on where to post this bug for PD to actually look at the problem plaguing DS4 inputs under specific circumstances. Heck when you do flat out hard launches you get the same problem and worse with the speed of steering causing more harm than good IMHO.

@Lord Protector, What you're experiencing as lag is actually your steering input being read too acute. If you check replays of any of your drifts when you start to drift use the in car view and watch to see when the avatar goes to lock. When the avatar goes to lock the wheels of the car do immediately end up at lock but it is traveling towards that, which means the game has already decided more steering angle than you actually wanted, which turns into the absurd snapping from one direction to the next as you battle to counter steer your way out of this. It's not actually lag but the game still correctly moves the steering through it's course but if your DS4 is being read too close to it's movement then it's getting too much input. How can light taps to lock on the analog stick register as full lock in the wheel, that shouldn't be happening and what seems to be happening in direct relation to drift is fighting the forces applied by traction of the steering wheels(that bite). The bite is a normal result of what is going on with lateral forces applied to the tires, problem is all our inputs are read incorrectly(way too close to 1:1) leading to more input transmitted to the steering wheels of the car. This explains starting a drift and then the moment you steer into the drift the car literally wants to go where the wheels are turned i.e right turn drift, the car steering is a bit left(DS4 will probably reach lock and you steer left completely off the road). Should not be reaching lock, the DS4 should not be registering lock in the first place. PD has always had this down, it works that way at a standstill you have to hold the analog in lock for the wheel to actually steer there and if you let go while it's still on it's way it will register that you canceled lock respond accordingly. So why in the world is it not responding correctly when you drift?

Feels like FFB you experience with a wheel may be bleeding into DS4 control mapping(when traction is broken) or my original idea that we are getting oversensitive steering input reads when we break traction. Those are the only two things I can think of to explain the insane way the steering goes nuts under traction loss.
Yeah finally someone knows the problem. Kaz need to note this asap

Thx vid shows it is more possible to play some drifts now. Lets be honest, it would need hell of balls to drift with stick in real life but should be at least accessible. Lets see where tweaking finally ends.

Thanks for the videos!
Is it just me or it looks like it's "too easy" now?... Apparently by what I see on the video (top of this page) you can keep the wheel counter-steered until the end of the slide without any worries! with no kick to the opposite side at all!... it's just mho but i'll test it tonight ;)

Thanks for the videos!
Is it just me or it looks like it's "too easy" now?... Apparently by what I see on the video (top of this page) you can keep the wheel counter-steered until the end of the slide without any worries! with no kick to the opposite side at all!... it's just mho but i'll test it tonight ;)
Which video? you mean this?

this is GT6 just i'm trying to compare the handling

Yes, I'm glad you're right! Testing it right now and it looks good! Much easier to control, feels better than before, can't say it's realistic but it's fun!

Now GTS just needs more "normal" street cars and classic sports!

Have fun!

P.S. Big fan of GT series here, since the 1st edition.. day one!

Back