Dualsense Edge for GT7?

• Thread starter alex511
  • 21 comments
£210? For a controller?

kill me no GIF by britbox

£210? For a controller?
You gonna love this :P

Last edited:
Imagine, if that could bring you 1 second advantage per round. That could decide races ^^
How could it? It's still going to be detected as a controller by the game and have all the same damping applied, it's still got analogue sticks with a tiny amount of travel compared to a wheel.

There were articels, suggests that this has an overhauled mechanic inside.

But thats of course anything for after release.

£150 seems to be the average for a "pro" controller, so a 50 quid markup for it being the official Sony one.
I'd like some paddles and extra buttons, don't really need all the other adjustable stuff.
May see if I can find a deal on a Scuff instead.

£210? For a controller?
It is pretty ridiculous. The back button attachment on the DS4 was a great piece of hardware but what I'm assuming will be roughly $300 CAD for a controller is really steep. But I will admit that I'll probably buy one eventually. But if you don't play much fps games, I don't really see the point. They may provide a slight advantage in a shooter but are more of a convenience in most other games.

How could it? It's still going to be detected as a controller by the game and have all the same damping applied, it's still got analogue sticks with a tiny amount of travel compared to a wheel.
You're simplifying things greatly.

The Edge will have replaceable thumb sticks, allowing you to swap out the standard length stick for ones with further length, which in turn allows finer input. Input is all about modulation - learning the gradient of input so you can achieve the desired level of steering, throttle or brake. The Edge also has the benefit of back-buttons which could be used as paddle gear shifts, replacing the need to thumb a button on the front of the pad. I know this because I used to race GT Sport with a Scuf InfinityPS4 controller with extended thumb sticks and back-buttons.

And then there is Daniel Solis... Gran Turismo World Tour racer who got there on a standard controller.

Last edited:

The Edge will have replaceable thumb sticks, allowing you to swap out the standard length stick for ones with further length, which in turn allows finer input. Input is all about modulation - learning the gradient of input so you can achieve the desired level of steering, throttle or brake. The Edge also has the benefit of back-buttons which could be used as paddle gear shifts, replacing the need to thumb a button on the front of the pad. I know this because I used to race GT Sport with a Scuf InfinityPS4 controller with extended thumb sticks and back-buttons.

And then there is Daniel Solis... Gran Turismo World Tour racer who got there on a standard controller.
Sure, but I still doubt anyone would instantly find a second just by using it over a regular DS4/5.

Obviously not denying you can be quick with a controller in general, just doubting that this controller specifically is going to give you a huge leap over the original.

Sure, but I still doubt anyone would instantly find a second just by using it over a regular DS4/5.

Obviously not denying you can be quick with a controller in general, just doubting that this controller specifically is going to give you a huge leap over the original.
If anything, the benefits will come from people switching from automatic to manual because of the back-buttons. I found shifting with my right thumb to be awkward, but shifting with back-buttons was more intuitive. You may be able to save time there, but that's a certain group of players. Overall I'd say you're right - most people won't see huge (1 second +) gains.

Personally, I like the idea of the Edge, but considering there are alternative ways to achieve the same end, at a fraction of the cost, I can't see the sense in buying one just for GT7.

For some, extra customisation will increase their pace/consistency. For others it could be a big help if they have impaired movement.

Myself, I just get lost with too many customisation options. Same with ingame options. I find more time just by practicing!

Interesting GT7 was featured in the TV spot. I guess it’s still the best advertisement for adaptive triggers.

A controller for the price of a Logitech G29. :lol:
You might as well just spend the money on said G29 (Which is compatible with the PS5 and for its age is probably slightly cheaper at this point).

Last edited:
In my opinion a wheel is much more immersive in a racing or driving game. The controller is absolutely on par in Gran Turismo in terms of laptime which is amazing considering it's a small handheld device. I definitely have more fun on GT7 with a wheel. It definitely takes alot of skill to be fast on either.

Final verdict - Well, see above 😉

The one area where it could, and I don't even know if it has this function, is in trigger locks. I can't find anywhere that confirms whether it has trigger locks (like the Xbox Elite controller). If it does, with the Xbox elite controller on Forza 7, it enabled you to turn off ABS and get much stronger braking power without worrying about lock ups because the trigger locked right at the point before lockups would occur. I genuinely shaved seconds off lap times with that controller.

Like I say though, I don't know if the DualSense Edge can even do that anyway so it may be moot point.

The one area where it could, and I don't even know if it has this function, is in trigger locks. I can't find anywhere that confirms whether it has trigger locks (like the Xbox Elite controller). If it does, with the Xbox elite controller on Forza 7, it enabled you to turn off ABS and get much stronger braking power without worrying about lock ups because the trigger locked right at the point before lockups would occur. I genuinely shaved seconds off lap times with that controller.

Like I say though, I don't know if the DualSense Edge can even do that anyway so it may be moot point.
not sure this is absolutely confirmed or they are just speculating - it's also mentioned in an IGN article

The DualSense Edge also includes adjustable trigger hair locks at the rear. These are ideal for players who want to physically lock their triggers to half-pull and adjust the travel distance in shooters.

not sure this is absolutely confirmed or they are just speculating - it's also mentioned in an IGN article

The DualSense Edge also includes adjustable trigger hair locks at the rear. These are ideal for players who want to physically lock their triggers to half-pull and adjust the travel distance in shooters.

Ok interesting, if it does have that then shaving a second or 2 off lap times holds some water, based on my aforementioned FM7 experience.

Ok interesting, if it does have that then shaving a second or 2 off lap times holds some water, based on my aforementioned FM7 experience.
I don't know why I didn't just check the official Sony page first. They are there, there's even a little animation, it looks almost identical to the Elite setup.

triggers.jpg

You can use a kontrolfreek (or any other stick extender) for the sticks. I use one on the right stick but I would imagine using one on the left would allow for finer movements in a driving game.

This was experience also with Forza games using the Elite controller. However, with how ABS is implemented in GT7, I wonder if this feature is going to have as much of an impact.

Back