Dumb Questions Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 763 comments
I don't know too much about nuclear reactor coolant but I do know there are two general types used; heavy water (deuterium oxide - a particular isotope of hydrogen) and borated water (water with boron).

Heavy water coolant is prone to combustion under leakage.
Borated water is more likely to become radioactive.

Because... science.
I was today years old when I learned heavy water isn't "heavy" because of its use in nuclear reactors.

I assumed they just used "regular" water as nuclear power plants are always built next to a water source.

I assumed they just used "regular" water as nuclear power plants are always built next to a water source.
I've heard/read that this is in part a safety precaution. In the event of a meltdown, lots of water can be utilized quickly even if it isn't suitable for daily operation.

Are there YouTube channels similarly as sublime as Raycevik? As far as I’m concerned, that guy sets a gold standard for YouTube channel production, alongside Ahoy.

Looking at how many track layouts Grid Legends will have made me think why don't all racing games feature all possible layouts for every track in the game? Is there a separate licensing fee for the reverse and/or short layout(s) for some tracks, do companies not want to pad their stats, or something else?

Looking at how many track layouts Grid Legends will have made me think why don't all racing games feature all possible layouts for every track in the game? Is there a separate licensing fee for the reverse and/or short layout(s) for some tracks, do companies not want to pad their stats, or something else?
Time and labour costs.

Cynical:
Withdrawing obviously available IP to be sold as DLC.

The more I read about NFTs, the more I don't understand them. Is there something more to it than a "digital trading card" or just "digital artwork", or is my overly simplistic explanation about right?

Whenever cryptocurrency gets involved, my mental engines just stall out.

Explain like I'm five.

Last edited:
The more I read about NFTs, the more I don't understand them. Is there something more to it than a "digital trading card" or just "digital artwork", or is my overly simplistic explanation about right?

Explain like I'm five.
This is about the best I can do:

Short answer? None.
Long answer? An attempt to create artificial ownership of an item that supposedly is certified with your ownership. The problem is all you own is the link to the digital item. If the actual holding site goes down, you own nothing. Also, people can still use the digital item.

Explain like I'm five.
Two analogies I try to remember:

You've got a marriage certificate saying that some woman is your wife but that doesn't stop anyone else from banging her.
You've got the transactional receipt from a bank transfer of $1,000,000 but that doesn't mean you actually have the $1,000,000.

Last edited:
So I can't even download nft-image.jpg, I just have a stake in it? Or is the so-called ledger the proof of ownership (that is, it proves I didn't just steal or right-click nft-image.jpg)?

This actually makes some sense for selling photography online. (I've just received the monies and did a pinky-swear of a terms of usage; i.e. please don't re-sell it.)

But then we get into blockchain and crypto and I suddenly feel like Josh Baskin in a boardroom meeting.

Last edited:
One of the most common NFTs, visual art, are presented and marketed as being unique but there are no legally binding proofs of ownership nor legally-bound copyrights.

Hence you see a lot of people boasting about their 'unique' $50,000 picture of a monkey and other people immediately saving the picture and reuploading it as a comment. Cryptobros Taking An L is a fun Twitter account to idly browse through.

NFTs are a great way to launder money and/or scam suckers. A marketing confidence trick, a virtual Ponzi scheme; if or when the blockchain server goes down, you've got nothing. Plenty of people have already had their 'investments' 'stolen' because the server on which their NFT's blockchain was entered simply stopped existing.

Also, I would like to say on the record that the best known NFTs, those weird monkey and lion pictures, are horrendous. Literally some of the ugliest, tackiest, most horrendous and most fatuous pieces of 'art' out there. Those suckers deserve to be scammed.

Explain like I'm five.
Imagine you go to the supermarket and buy a strangely unique set of items. Then, as you go outside, a guy wearing smart casual in a Tesla offers to buy the receipt from you for twice the value of the items you bought, but you keep the items.

NFTs are the digital version of that, except the receipt is an encrypted string of letters and numbers that generally points to a URL of an image of the shopping you bought.

The guy who owns the NFT doesn't own the URL, the image, or the shopping, just a "token" which - when decrypted - is the URL... though generally they believe they own the shopping.

Last edited:
Are there any documented cases of cocaine being used as a truth drug?
I certainly wouldn't draw for something with such a strong association with baseless bravado and endless **** talking...

...having been in proximity to those under the influence, I really don't think you'd get very far. About 40 minutes before they start rubbing their nose and becoming quite distracted - you'd get through a lot of the stuff and it ain't cheap, besides anything else.

I was thinking more that a drug like cocaine makes the user chatty and makes them want to chat, just wondering if it had been tested to see if people who were unwilling to talk suddenly had the urge to do so.

Given the history of truth drugs, and their use in persuasive confirmation bias testimony, I should have written "truth" drug in the first place.

Last edited:
The guy who owns the NFT doesn't own the URL, the image, or the shopping, just a "token" which - when decrypted - is the URL... though generally they believe they own the shopping.

This helped me somewhat because there were ads reminding you that it's an NFT and you could scan it to purchase it.

So now you can spend money on something close to nothing, and get even less in return. :dopey:

Are there any documented cases of cocaine being used as a truth drug?

It's probably tough to document because there's no control for "truthiness" in the first place. How much modern-day testing is conducted with a drug with strict and harsh penalties in most places?

From a limited personal experience with drugs, the mind lets down defenses because it becomes distracted, confused, or calmed. Humans tend to meet at the similar levels of social interactions, and may change their and emotions and inhibitions to meet the moment. But there's also of verbal flotsam and jetsam to deal with...something like cocaine (which I've never used, but I've known others to use it) tends to give people a feeling of being somewhat invulnerable or aggrandized, so there's probably a careless tongue to go with that attitude.

Last edited:
Bear with me on this and think about it. It's not a dumb question but...

Has World War Three already begun?

Formal declarations of war are consigned to history books whether we like it or not. Cyber warfare, proxy wars, disputed territories, displaced peoples, genocides.

There is a lot to consider right now and the "sides" seem to be most of Europe and North America vs. Russia and China with other players like Iran and Saudi Arabia. It might not be open warfare but it could be considered warfare.

If I was to speculate, I'd say somewhere between 2008-2014 is where it really went up a gear.

"What is a woman?"

Seemingly a simple question but one that a lot of people are struggling to give an answer to. This is generating news articles as politicians and other influential figures squirm around answering so as not to offend (you've even got a campaign encouraging the public to ask their political representative this question.)

If you Google the definition it points you to an "adult female" but the definition for "female" is not very inclusive of many people who see themselves (and who the majority of society view) as women.

I'm wondering, is there a suitable definition in 2022?

Last edited:

Formal declarations of war are consigned to history books whether we like it or not. Cyber warfare, proxy wars, disputed territories, displaced peoples, genocides.

There is a lot to consider right now and the "sides" seem to be most of Europe and North America vs. Russia and China with other players like Iran and Saudi Arabia. It might not be open warfare but it could be considered warfare.

If I was to speculate, I'd say somewhere between 2008-2014 is where it really went up a gear.
Good question. It might fit well into the World War 3 thread. Does it feel to you like there may be such a phenomenon as a stampede or bandwagon effect where unwitting populations are deliberately and inexorably led into conflict? Or is it just an epiphenomenon of all human nature?

"What is a woman?"

If you Google the definition it points you to an "adult female" but the definition for "female" is not very inclusive of many people who see themselves (and who the majority of society view) as women.

I'd say any person who is born with double XX chromosomes?

Are there outliers / exceptions / freaks of nature to whom this description does not apply? Absolutely, there always are, but if they are in the 1% or less range I think its an acceptable and accurate definition.

But I am not a biologist.

Last edited:
I'd say any person who is born with double XX chromosomes?

Are there outliers / exceptions / freaks of nature to whom this description does not apply? Absolutely, there always are, but if they are in the 1% or less range I think its an acceptable and accurate definition.
The chromosome definition would be true for the majority, yes, but it excludes a sizeable group by being so rigid.

Is there nothing that can encompass all?

I would agree that it has been rumbling along for a while. You could even point at 9/11 as when it went up a gear. I guess it depends on how many countries/world powers need to be squabbling to count. Right now, we are very close to open, all-but-declared WW3.
The chromosome definition would be true for the majority, yes, but it excludes a sizeable group by being so rigid.

Is there nothing that can encompass all?
The chromosome definition fits for the overwhelming majority and is the most biologically simple definition. However, there are the exceptions, for whom their definition probably excludes others. 'identify as' is probably the closest you will get to a universal definition.

However, there are the exceptions, for whom their definition probably excludes others. 'identify as' is probably the closest you will get to a universal definition.
There is no definition for anything that does not have a single exception, that needs to be accepted. Simply changing a definition because it does not accurately apply to .1% does not mean the definition to describe the 99.9% is inaccurate and meaningless.
We have to live with non-perfect solutions, but we can still achieve very high accuracy.

Last edited:
"What is a woman?"

Seemingly a simple question but one that a lot of people are struggling to give an answer to. This is generating news articles as politicians and other influential figures squirm around answering so as not to offend (you've even got a campaign encouraging the public to ask their political representative this question.)

There's a biological answer and a sociological answer to that question and those two answers are not necessarily aligned. Which is fine.

A woman is a human adult born with two X chromosomes.

Period.

Transgender men are not women, no matter how much they want to be, no matter how much hormone treatment or surgery they have received.

If a human has a Y chromosome, whether it's paired with an X chromosome or whether they have extra chromosomes in XYY or XXY combination, they are male. A male with XYY may go his entire life unaware of the xtra Y chromosome as it produces no developmental issues. A male with an extra X chromosome will probably show developmental problems such as near or total sterility, poor genital development, even breasts, but they still carry a Y chromosome, have a penis and not a vagina, and are still male, and cannot grow up to be a woman.

I expect to be flamed for this viewpoint, but seriously... this isn't difficult. A woman has 2 X chromosomes.

51986674521_97f84bd11d_o.jpg

Back