Dunlop MSA BTCC 2011

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 314 comments
Can't wait to see Thommo in the Airwaves Focus this weekend. :D

And I'm not just imagining Thommo coming back, watch out for news tomorrow ;)

Wait what? Where have you heard this??! Awesome if true! Is he taking Griffin or Caine's car? Surely its Caine thats losing the seat as Griffin comes with cash. Unless Motorbase have finally decided that Griffin's woeful performance isn't even worth the cash compared to helping Jackson try and win the title. Or even the Indepenent Team's title in fact.

Liking that vauxhall. Who else is going to Silverstone, I've not been since the re-vamp so I'm rather excited

I'm presuming this final round will be using the National circuit?

In which case it won't look any different.

The National circuit is a bit more relevant these days since it now shares more with the full GP circuit. It's a shame they didn't use the redevelopment to add a little more to the National circuit, especially since they no longer have, what i think they used to call the International circuit, which is what the BTCC used to run on. Extending it through the Maggotts - Becketts - Chapel complex then rejoining midway through the new Arena complex would have added some much needed technical sections to the National circuit IMO.

Told you I was telling the truth.

Autosport
James Thompson returns to British Touring Cars for Silverstone with Motorbase Ford
By Jamie O'Leary Wednesday, October 12th 2011, 08:02 GMT

James Thompson will make a surprise return to the British Touring Car Championship at Silverstone this weekend with the Motorbase Ford team.

The two-time series champion will drive the team's third turbocharged Focus - as raced by Michael Caine at the past two rounds - in a bid to boost Mat Jackson's hopes of winning both the overall and independent drivers' championships.

"I'm genuinely excited to be coming back to compete in the finale of the championship," said Thompson. "I'm here to lend support to Mat and the team in their quest for the title and try not to cause too much mischief out on the track.

"Although it's never easy to step straight into a new car, it's still got four wheels and a steering wheel like the rest of them so I should hope that all my years racing will deliver a great result for the team at Silverstone."

Thompson has 36 BTCC wins to his name, but has only made sporadic appearances in the series since winning his second title in 2004; even if those partial campaigns with SEAT and Team Dynamics have both provided numerous wins.

During that time period he has been a race-winner in World and Danish tin-top series and won the European Touring Car Cup in 2009 and 2010. He began the 2011 season with the Polestar Volvo squad in the Scandinavian Championship, but left the team mid-season.

David Bartrum, whose Motorbase squad is still in with a chance of winning the independent teams' title, hopes that Thompson's one-round deal helps the squad in its achieving its ambitions.

"We've got to support Mat and give him the best chance in the last three races," Bartrum said.

"It's not over for us in the overall points as the top three drivers are sure to battle with each other. We hope that James can jump in the car and get straight onto the pace of the frontrunners."

Thompson is due to test the car at Brands Hatch on Wednesday.

Jackson goes into the Brands decider fourth in the overall standings, 36 points behind leader Matt Neal and 17 points behind independents' standings leader James Nash.

Thompson will probably have to run the 45kg of extra ballast as most of the late entries do (its up to Alan Gow though), especially as he will almost certainly have an effect on the championships.

Thompson will probably have to run the 45kg of extra ballast as most of the late entries do (its up to Alan Gow though), especially as he will almost certainly have an effect on the championships.

It's now known as Johnny Herbert Syndrome :D

Turkington been testing Gilham's car... Gilham will race this weekend but I still wonder about a precursor for a Turkington return...?

Turkington been testing Gilham's car... Gilham will race this weekend but I still wonder about a precursor for a Turkington return...?

When I met Turk at Britcar I asked him about a return to BTCC, he indicated casually he'd like to come back "but it's all about money", the biggest emphasis in the reply was the word "but".. so it didn't sound positive. He also didn't specify whether the money was that he'd have to bring in sponsorship, or if he's looking to get paid a certain figure in order to drive.

^Credit to me for pointing out that is a terrible photoshop on the 3-door roadcar Civic that Terry Grant will drive in a demonstration run.
:P
http://btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2708

You can tell by the different front bumper and general differences in shape and appearance. The race livery on it is real however, just the "Muller" bit is a photoshop.

People are also spreading rumours about Giovanardi driving the second 888 Vectra so I guess we will see tomorrow on that one - I doubt it as we would already have heard about it.

Last edited:
^Credit to me for pointing out that is a terrible photoshop on the 3-door roadcar Civic that Terry Grant will drive in a demonstration run.
:P
http://btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2708

You can tell by the different front bumper and general differences in shape and appearance. The race livery on it is real however, just the "Muller" bit is a photoshop.

People are also spreading rumours about Giovanardi driving the second 888 Vectra so I guess we will see tomorrow on that one - I doubt it as we would already have heard about it.

~facepalm~

Oh my bad...

I'm watching highlights from the races at Rockingham, and I have to say - this is fantastic stuff! It's real rough-and-tumble stuff.

BTCC Race 1 about to start, whilst we focus on Honda vs Plato, lets not forget Nash and Jackson's independents battle as well.

~Not long for a melee at the start... poor Gilham and Austin...

Last edited:
It looks so empty at Silverstone. Wish I lived closer.

The grandstands tend to dwarf the BTCC crowds a bit. I've only ever seen the old ETCC at Silverstone but it's a big, open place to have tin tops. Much prefer Croft or Donington, bit more of an atmosphere.

Any news so far on the Proton and Rob Collard guys? I have no coverage combined with a crappy internet...

Dan Welch got a point for 10th in race 2 finally. 👍 Collard and Foster were involved in contact in race 2 unfortunately, but Collard finished well in race 1 (6th I believe?). Foster was just out of the points in race 1.

I have to say that I was unsure this year how to rate this year's BTCC field. Now that a very much proven driver like Thompson has come in and struggled to make any gains at all even against Griffin, John George, Byford, etc really puts things in perspective - this is a good quality field of drivers!

Shame Neate didn't make the most of his qualifying pace so far as I've been impressed by his turn of speed lately - much improved from earlier this year and last year.

Shame Thorney couldn't get the Insignia together in time to run the required 3 laps.
Gutted for Jackson, happy for Nash. Looking forward to race 3!

I'm watching highlights from the races at Rockingham, and I have to say - this is fantastic stuff! It's real rough-and-tumble stuff.

I told you man! I recommend watching Knockhill too, if anything just for the crazy amount of curb these guys take - to the point of two-wheeling!

We're so close to a 30-car grid now. :D With arguably every car having someone to race against. Even though John George, Tony Hughes, Chris James, Lea Wood, etc are not the fastest drivers in the field, they do get involved in regular battles on the track, which is great to see, both for them and for spectators.

Anyone else massively impressed with the rookies this year? Nick Foster, Dave Newsham, Frank Wrathall, Rob Austin, Dan Welch, Michael Caine, Aron Smith, Ollie Jackson, Martin Byford...all of these drivers have been very impressive showing good pace as well as good consistencey.

Finally - I hope Shedden is champion - if anything just to give us a new champion.

Last edited:
I have to say that I was unsure this year how to rate this year's BTCC field. Now that a very much proven driver like Thompson has come in and struggled to make any gains at all even against Griffin, John George, Byford, etc really puts things in perspective - this is a good quality field of drivers!

Thompson has had no chance to prove himself because of the 45Kg ballast.

Dan Welch got a point for 10th in race 2 finally. 👍 Collard and Foster were involved in contact in race 2 unfortunately, but Collard finished well in race 1 (6th I believe?). Foster was just out of the points in race 1.

That's fantastic! Already looking very good finishing 11th in Race 1 and a point finishing in Race 2 after just what, 3 or 4 weekends? Very impressive! I'm thinking that Proton has a future ahead.👍

The BMWs are continuing to struggle. Very inconsistent result by them... Hopefully they would be able to do something otherwise they would only be racing at the back. :(

Thompson has had no chance to prove himself because of the 45Kg ballast.

Yes, yes of course the ballast doesn't help. But even without the ballast I'm not sure Thompson would be easily winning every race, even top wouldn't be "easy" - and this is what I mean, if Thompson had come in and got to the top 10 easily even with ballast, I would be worried that half the grid have been flattered by a general lack of talent. But this is quite obviously not the case.
Its just without many benchmarks around and those benchmarks happen to be dominating the championship (Plato and Neal), I've been a bit cautious heaping too much praise on the rest of the drivers. But I think its clear now looking backing on the season that most if not everyone deserves to be here.

Jackson has run 45kg previously in the races and hasn't been struggling to fight John George & Co and I don't consider Jackson that much better than Thompson! Part of it is simply jumping in a car for the first time of course too.

That's fantastic! Already looking very good finishing 11th in Race 1 and a point finishing in Race 2 after just what, 3 or 4 weekends? Very impressive! I'm thinking that Proton has a future ahead.👍

The BMWs are continuing to struggle. Very inconsistent result by them... Hopefully they would be able to do something otherwise they would only be racing at the back. :(

Yes, Welch and the Proton have been extremely impressive. 👍

The BMWs have been regularly mixing the back-end of the top 10, their problem is simply that the cars are very old and lack the turbo power.
Tony Gilham has got a turbo in his BMW now (tested and developed by none other than Turkington!) but I really think the BMW teams are better off investing in a NGTC car now for next year.

Race 3 is coming up now right? It's Neal and Shedden still in the running as far as I know, I'm sure ITV will tell us the positions needed.👍

MildAshers
It looks so empty at Silverstone. Wish I lived closer.

I'm at silverstone now, just waiting for race 3 to get underway.. it is a good turnout but the main grandstand is empty, woodcote, luffield, copse etc are pretty busy.

Congragulations to Matt Neal...triple BTCC champion. I have to admit I agree with Tim Harvey - Neal has been the only one to really "want" this championship. Shedden didn't really put a strong enough claim this year in the end, Plato has moaned and whinged all year and Jackson and Nash didn't have the luck or the pace in the end.

Can't wait for April to come around and for it all to start again! After the Ginetta GT finished today, we now know that Adam Morgan is going to partner Frank Wrathall at Dynojet next year, surely there are still many more driver and team announcements to come!

Back