Dunlop MSA BTCC 2011

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 314 comments
According to the ITV coverage, rain is starting to fall, and the start is only 5 mins away. :D :D

I have a feeling this is going to be good.

Unbelievable. If there's one more lap, Collard could've blast them off. That Audi is really fast!

Great one from Nash :cheers:

Also good to see the Proton having some race at the back... Just saw the contact between Boardman and one of the BMW I think Foster.

Yup, was a close race all the way through the field. Good race from Nash though I was willing Austin to get past at some point. Those last two or three laps seem to be a real killer for the FWDs, Plato was catching at quite a rate and then just disappeared again.

Plato was catching at quite a rate and then just disappeared again.

Yeah. I was worried when Collard got held up by O'Neill thought that Plato's going to jump them all. Didn't happen as he suddenly dropped as Collard got past O'Neil.

Anyway, did I just see Matt and Jason shake hands together?

^Plato and Neal did indeed agree to put it behind them...but this has been done a thousand times before. They have a spat (again!) and then apologise and make up later.
Don't be surprised to see it spark again in future, all it takes is for one to feel threatened or cheated by the other and it all boils over again.
At least this weekend they didn't ruin anyone else's weekend and kept it clean in the races.

Anyway, a great day of racing! Pleased for Nash though I too was willing Austin on for a win. But I'm happy to see James Nash win anyway as he's been on the verge for a while now.
Wrathall, Austin, O'Neill, Collard, Foster, Plato, Shedden, Nash, Neal....great racing from all of them!

Great also to see Michael Caine score points on his debut.

Gutted for Jackson's absolutely terrible record lately.

I have to say that surely the current NGTC teams (Dynojet, Austin and Welch) are at a huge advantage for next year? They are already looking pretty strong this year and we haven't even finished the season yet. Lord knows what will happen next year when most of the other teams switch over and are new to NGTC while they have all the experience. Frank Wrathall for 2012 BTCC Drivers Champion?

Hopefully soon the Proton can make the same gains as the Toyota and Audi and start picking up points as well. Its made a strong debut so far. We've also got Thorney Motorsport's Vauxhall Insignia still to join us as well.

With the NGTC cars hopefully making the sport cheaper to run in, perhaps we will see the return of some manufacturers and some of the top drivers? Not that Foster, Boardman, O'Neill etc are not good enough but Thompson, Giovanardi, Turkington, really need to be in this series. Thompson mentioned today that he was looking at 2012 drives, perhaps considering his NGTC testing experience he might get a drive at one of those teams? Maybe Honda/Team Dynamics might run a 3rd car for him?

It'd be good to see. I don't know what happened to his drive this year actually. I was in Puerto Banus in Spain earlier this year doing a charity banger rally and actually met Tommo in a bar down there. Asked where he was racing this year and he said Scandanavia, but presumably nothing came of that.

It's dissapointing to see Daniel Welch's Proton not finishing in both of the races so far today. Was a broken steering arm in Race 1 but not sure what's haunting them in Race 2 (internet speed is killing the stream) after a strong enough performance in qualifying...

Both the WSR BMWs aren't doing that well as I expected for them to be in this circuit - usually suits them better.

1000 miles of Petite Le Mans yesterday/this morning followed by Motogp from Motegi really early this morning and now an all day session of BTCC. I haven't had much sleep recently.

Question. Will the Honda's gain victory in race three or will they blow more tyres with aggressive camber settings?

Tandy was very unlucky in the Porsche Carrera cup. I like the Porsche races. These cars are susceptible to both front and rear impact damage. This means the drivers have to behave themselves.

It's dissapointing to see Daniel Welch's Proton not finishing in both of the races so far today. Was a broken steering arm in Race 1 but not sure what's haunting them in Race 2 (internet speed is killing the stream) after a strong enough performance in qualifying...

Both the WSR BMWs aren't doing that well as I expected for them to be in this circuit - usually suits them better.

The NGTC cars are struggling generally due to their greater weight penalties and the turbos not being as effective due to the unusually higher temperatures (for the UK).
He was unlucky in race 1 though, he was looking to be on for a (first) points finish. Race 2 I think he got caught up with contact with Dave Newsham's SEAT and generally got caught up in the rear-pack.

Its easy to forget that the Proton only turned a wheel at Snetterton though, 3 race weekends and a few tests is nothing compared to even the Toyota Avensis which has been developed and tested for over a year now. So even simply running in P10/P11 in real pace is a great achievement, even if they didn't finish there. Its not surprising reliability is still an issue.

The BMWs are not doing terrible though not great either, but they are very old machines now. Foster is on pole for race 3 so lets see what happens. Collard was unlucky due to his rear-bumper accident damage.

Question. Will the Honda's gain victory in race three or will they blow more tyres with aggressive camber settings?

I think Honda are going to struggle for victory in race 3. They had no ballast in race 2 and still lacked pace and wore their tyres more than everyone else. They aren't going to run silly camber settings again as they need to score points, even if they can't win. They must surely know that Silverstone will suit them far better.

I'm hoping Foster gets a win, still waiting for a RWD result...

Hondas could be hit and miss. They have just enough pace, if they manage their tyres okay there might be a lucky win in there somewhere.

I can see Plato getting at least a podium with his pace this weekend too.

Hard luck Neate. That's what I call a tank slapper!

Since Neal now leads the championship again, does he have to carry maximum weight for the first race at Silverstone?

Not sure if he has to carry weight for the race but definitely in qualifying.

Don't see Plato winning the title now. Silverstone will be a bit too much of a power circuit. Amazing how easily the BMWs were getting eaten up at Brands and Plato was struggling in parts too.

Qualifying and Race 1 ballast weights are decided by Championship position.
Races 2 and 3 are decided on previous race results.

Hard luck Neate. That's what I call a tank slapper!

In his garage watching that race with his wife and kids, they were so excited about his third place and then seeing he'd lost it... Lots of tears!

Standing at exit of paddock hill bend, the noise the cars make as they abuse the kerb on the outside... Its no wonder they were suffering lots of punctures! Its always the same when there, you wonder why they don't just try to avoid the kerbs. Then you realise its probably worth a tenth or 2 so of course its worth taking the risk to be faster.

It's set to be a great final round at Silverstone. 👍

Although i must say it has begun to feel slightly artificial this year, with all the increasing restrictions on the turbo cars. All Plato's moaning to the TV cameras should have been directed at his RML team for not adopting to the new regs like most of the other teams did. Surely taking advantage of what the rules allow for is one of the main draws for professional motorsport?

If he does win this year's championship it will be a farce.

I agree, all teams have testing to evaluate what regs to build the car to this year. Knowing eventually that they'll have to use NGTC rules though it would be best to change to them early and develop forward sooner....

Plato's moaning gets on my nerves and I really hope that the Honda team finish the job. They've accepted all the changes that have come their way and carried on, scoring consistently.

So a Turbo car should be allowed to run away with the championship because it's got an unfair straight line advantage?

Plato has done exactly what he had to do to get a more level playing field. He's a long way away from being by favourite driver but if he wins it he will have earned it.

If Neal wins it he will have earned it, but my money is on Shedden to win it. He has a Turbo for Silverstone but not the weight Neal has to carry in the first race. That could be decisive.

The first tweak was needed, but it seems that focus is fixed on just straight line speed... The turbo's have the straight line speed, but it hurt the front tyres giving the cornering advantage (whether all weekend or just at the end of the tyres life) to Plato and the others. Now we're seeing Plato dominate and yet no change to the rules to level it back again? He walked the first 2 races yesterday and recovered to 6th I think it was in the end with full success ballast on board (helped by some mistakes from others though).

Brands Hatch is a handling circuit. That's why he did well. Silverstone is a power circuit. The turbo's will dominate.

So a Turbo car should be allowed to run away with the championship because it's got an unfair straight line advantage?

All the teams had the option to run the new turbo engine. Those that decided not to shouldn't have the rule and regs massaged, mid season, to suit their whims.

Not taking anything away from Plato's performances this season, but if he takes the championship, he's not done it on merit.

Having just caught up with the last two race meets. I'd be very surprised if Plato did take the title, Turbo's will dominate there. Very good meet at Brands GP, such an awesome track with the loop.

Have to agree with TC. Turbo is the way forward, I think the balance is absolutely fine, we're going in to the last weekend with 5 between the top 3, the NA cars have some better tracks, Turbo's have better tracks.

The first pics of Thorney's NGTC Insignia have emerged:

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Silverstone, Thorney have confirmed they will be there. Only one car though, with John Thorne driving himself.
They will be around for 2012 too, they've mentioned that they already have a second shell currently being prepped and that will be ready for Novemeber, so presumably that means a 2-car operation for next season.

Interestingly Thorpe has mentioned that they have asked Vauxhall about buying 4 more shells to possibly build extra cars for other teams.
I honestly don't know what is going on with the grid for next year but the rumours and behind-the-scenes talk gives an interesting picture about how many teams, cars and drivers we will see! Seems NGTC is going to be extremely strong next year as so far we have:

-Team Dynamics (Honda) will use NGTC Civics.
-Eurotech will use the exact same 2012 NGTC Civics.
-Presumably RAR, Welch, Dynojet and Speedworks will continue next year.
-techspeed are rumoured to be considering NGTC options.
-Motorbase are selling their 2010 Ford Focus'.
-888 are selling their Vectras.
-WSR are also considering NGTC.
-RML are rumoured to be seriously (finally!) considering switching to NGTC either engine-only or full car.
-Matt Hamilton is confirmed to be returning in a NGTC Skoda.

Plus now Thorpe saying they've had interest from other teams about building more NGTC Insignias...makes me think perhaps even more new teams.

Certainly there will be a lot of cheap S2000 and BTC cars on the market - presumably they will nearly all go to the Asia series with the rest of them? I can't imagine even the smallest independent team like ES or Central Group will want to continue running expensive S2000 machines especially as NGTC appears to be so competitive.

Last edited:
-Motorbase are selling their 2010 Ford Focus'.
The rumour is that Ford are desperate for them to be running the newer Focus' next season with Arena possibly going to WTCC.

btw MG are close to a manufacture return, I wonder who would run it though. WSR have run with them in the past and know how to win (being payed to run as a manufacturer could get them funds to run Turkington) or they could keep their BMWs for another year and put a NGTC engine in it like Geoff Steel are. Triple 8 will probably stay in BTCC but have no major links with Vauxhall anymore, new manufactures looking to get into BTCC would have a guarenteed race winner and title contender if they support them enough financially.

Back