EA Teases the Next Need for Speed Game

I really hope they change their physics model a bit, the last 3 games went reallt weird with it to me, but nevertheless I'm kinda hyped.

No, compared to everything after Shift 2, those physics were good, if not great. We may disagree, but I had pleasure playing with them.
Definitely agree to disagree. That something slightly improved doesn't automatically make it good, in my opinion. It was passable.

NEED FOR SPEED: Money Printing Machine

nfs_go_brrrt.jpg

Food for thought: The last NFS game developed by Criterion was also the last NFS game to get above an 80 on MetaCritic.

EDIT: Said game was Most Wanted (2012). Say what you want about scrapped content and a potentially misleading title, but the MetaCritic score doesn’t lie.

Last edited:
They need to stop with the tuner scene vibe and go back to what made NFS great.

latest

517F9M0MWYL._AC_.jpg
This so much. HP2 was such an absolute gem for me, I question why I haven't found a way to relive it since it's inexpensive by now. I thought Criterion's Hot Pursuit was a great step back in that direction as well, then their Most Wanted completely turned me back off the franchise.

Criterion so they'll go drift mode again :/

Criterion got a lot of hate from fans because of the drifty nature of the games they produced, why would they then go back to games centred around brake-to-drift???

Outside from a few outliers (Underground, Prostreet, Shift), they never really left. Just about every NFS game is either heavily influenced or tries to build upon the original Hot Pursuit structure. Saying that "they need to go back to the classic era" is little more than an aesthetic choice at this point, and aesthetics aren't what's going to fix the series.

Outside from a few outliers (Underground, Prostreet, Shift), they never really left. Just about every NFS game is either heavily influenced or tries to build upon the original Hot Pursuit structure. Saying that "they need to go back to the classic era" is little more than an aesthetic choice at this point, and aesthetics aren't what's going to fix the series.
Going to whole heartily disagree.

Your "few outliers" list is missing Underground 2, Most Wanted 05, Carbon, Undercover, The Run, Most Wanted 2012, NFS2015, Payback and Heat. All of these only have two things in common with the early games; cops, and supercars. In fact in my list there's only two major games released after HPII missing, Hot Pursuit 2010 for obvious reasons and Rivals as that seemed like a sequel to HP.

And I want to add onto my last point there; Rivals wasn't great but to me it felt like a good base for a much better game. An acceptable first attempt by Ghost IMO. Then they threw everything out the window and started anew with 2015. I went in with a clear mind and I felt it wasn't great, but it seemed like a good base for a much better game. Then Payback was meant to be an evolution to 2015, yet it didn't feel great, and still was a good base for a much better game. I haven't bothered with Heat but from what I've seen I'd say the same damn things that I've been saying since Rivals, which is presicely why I didn't get it. Hopefully Criterion turns things around but I haven't loved a new NFS since Hot Pursuit 2010 so I'm not expecting this one to change that.

Heat was the first NFS game I bought since Most Wanted by Criterion. I played the hell out of HP, but almost felt lost as to what to do in MW. And the funny thing is, MW 2012 was fundamentally the same as MW 2005. Drive in an open world, get chased by cops, only without ‘05’s chase breakers.

Your "few outliers" list is missing Underground 2, Most Wanted 05, Carbon, Undercover, The Run, Most Wanted 2012, NFS2015, Payback and Heat. All of these only have two things in common with the early games; cops, and supercars. In fact in my list there's only two major games released after HPII missing, Hot Pursuit 2010 for obvious reasons and Rivals as that seemed like a sequel to HP.

I'm pretty sure that those are the aforementioned titles that are heavily influenced by Hot Pursuit, sans Underground 2.

In any case, all I want from the next NFS game is that it's fun to play. The previous few games, while they definitely weren't great by any means, I could at least have fun with them. As long as that remains the same (and considering the current state of NFS, that isn't a high bar), or improves on that, I'll personally be satisfied.

Edit: A soundtrack that's actually good (or at least more diverse than Heat) would also be lovely.

Last edited:
Your "few outliers" list is missing Underground 2
Did you honestly think I wasn't including that with the first game?

Most Wanted 05
Most Wanted was originally conceived as a successor the Hot Pursuit games, hence the emphasis on cops and the more supercar orientated car selection. Obviously it inherited some of the aesthetics and visual customization of the UG games but those are definitely less prominent and take a back seat in favor of all things cops.

Carbon, Undercover, The Run, Most Wanted 2012, NFS2015, Payback and Heat.
All games that were influenced by Most Wanted (and by extension, HP) to varying degrees.

In fact in my list there's only two major games released after HPII missing, Hot Pursuit 2010 for obvious reasons and Rivals as that seemed like a sequel to HP.
An open-world based successor to a Hot Pursuit game. Where have I seen that before?

All of these only have two things in common with the early games; cops, and supercars.
It's almost as if that's what the NFS series was built on...

Well, that and techno.

Did you honestly think I wasn't including that with the first game?

Honestly, no. :lol:

Most Wanted was originally conceived as a successor the Hot Pursuit games, hence the emphasis on cops and the more supercar orientated car selection. Obviously it inherited some of the aesthetics and visual customization of the UG games but those are definitely less prominent and take a back seat in favor of all things cops.

Well, as you said, originally. I'll admit that I find it hard to disagree with what you say, so I'll give you that. But the game had all of its gameplay tied to its story. Yeah I can see it has quite a lot of HP in it, but it definitely has an identity of its own and it also has a lot of Underground in it.

All games that were influenced by Most Wanted (and by extension, HP) to varying degrees.

But this one I absolutely disagree. Let's go game by game:
  • Carbon: It focuses on customization, building your own crew, and taking and holding onto territory by winning races. The story is very much part of that, too. The cops are kinda just there, basically the same system as MW but other than the Challenge Series and making the game's world feel a bit more alive while freeroaming they have almost no importance.
  • Undercover: Now story takes center stage as it's an epic tale of an undercover cop posing as a street racer, trying to take out a criminal syndicate. Just like Carbon (and Most Wanted) what you'll be doing in the game is very much dictated by the story. Cops have a much more important part than Carbon to be fair.
  • The Run: Now the story is the game. I mean this is a linear, story based game that just so happens to be about cars and street races instead of some bloke doing stuff. Oh and there's cops too, but as an scripted part of certain chapters. This game has about as much in common with HP as Forza Horizon.
  • Most Wanted 2012: I'll admit I doubted whether or not I'd consider it a "HP style" game or not. But it has no story, cops are central to the gameplay, and you're driving some of the fastest cars in the world. Other than the city-based map and lack of cop gameplay it's just like HP2010 and Rivals. So okay, I was wrong with this one.
  • NFS2015, Payback, Heat: What do these have in common with HP?? The three of them are heavily focused on customization, 2015 barely had any supercars and was basically Underground with cops, Payback was basically an action game with cars for most of its story (did HP have you jump out of a exploding truck?) and Heat is literally half street racing with cops, half legal racing. Without cops. Not to mention the story.

I still don't see the point of going back to the classics, recent NFS has put more focus on customisation but it wasn't force on the player like Underground 1 and 2. It sure didn't stop me from using my stock looking Diablo SV to finish the game.

The current batch of NFS just lacks the envirnoment variety of classic NFS and need the cops be more of a focus in gameplay, Heat cops felt like it is just there for annoyance, wasn't fun to mess around and no point to stay in a chase either.

I wouldn't mind seeing "be the cop" mode return to the franchise either. I just hope to see the gameplay involve cops more, it is the one thing that NFS has that no one is really doing it.

But this one I absolutely disagree. Let's go game by game:
Carbon definitely has more Underground influence, but it still retains most of the mechanics and structure of MW. Meanwhile, Undercover was pretty much built off of ideas that didn't make the cut for MW or Carbon.

The Run falls closer inline with the general aesthetic of the HP games (especially in regards to locations) and the linear, scripted events are not much of a divergence from the ones that you would see in HP10. Put them side to side and you'll be hard-pressed to say that they're nothing alike.

2015 definitely more biased towards the Underground style, but cops are still a factor in the game (as pathetic as they are), so it kinda counts. Payback sorta acts more as a "return to form" kind of game akin to what MW05 was at the time (increased empthasis on cops and exotic cars), but there's definitely some unfortunate design choices plaguing that game. Heat meanwhile is a shameless MW05 fanservice game, and the nighttime gameplay is ripped directly from Rivals.

I will point out that having customization =/= having a heavy emphasis on customization. It's also worth mentioning that High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed featured basic visual customization options and career structure not unlike what would be seen in later games.

As for the more story-based games, this is probably more a product of the modern racing game environment rather than some kind of pagan ritual that Underground introduced.

Now with all of this, I have to ask: What do you think a "Hot Pursuit" game would look like in the 2020s?

This reminds me of the constant arguments in the NFS fanbase whether NFS Underground 3 is needed or not.

Exactly, when we had HP 2010/ MW 2012/ Rivals people were asking for a customization-based game, when we got them, nah we want the old school nfs. I think ghost / criterion lacks of a strong game director who have a vision for their games and lacks creativity. Also EA obviously has no idea how to manage his titles in general. With that being said I think it's non important if the game has customization or is old school, we need a polished game, maybe with a complete story (*cough* Heat *cough*), and good physics. Hoping that the new Frostbite was also created for driving games, given that so far it has proved to be not very versatile from this point of view.

latest

517F9M0MWYL._AC_.jpg

I don't know. Maybe nfs was great at that time because they were simple and refined. Also there was almost no competition. *IF* heat was a beautiful game, maybe in 2040 we will remember that nfs like we remember MW 2005 or HP 2. I think the main factor that makes a NFS memorable is not it's theme or the fact that it has customization or not, but that it's done well, and this has been missing for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of the constant arguments in the NFS fanbase whether NFS Underground 3 is needed or not.
This.

What I dislike is that the exotic era NFSes (RnTNFS to HP2) are being thrown under the bus by the "fanbase" and always goes by the idea that Underground is the true roots of NFS.

And as for the next NFS, I just hope it's decent and have a better post game update life.

Back