Early Access First Impressions & Feedback

• Thread starter th3o
  • 230 comments
Most of it's summarized in the first two minutes of the video. :lol: Wasn't saying you should use dynamic damping, was just sharing the video in case others were reading here but unaware of it.

Well I just watched it on 1.5x speed, basically can be summarised as your first post. Helps with countersteering, period :lol:

I tried DD again last night and still not convinced tbh. It does make catching slides fractionally easier, but I never had a problem without it either. What it does is make the FFB around center vague (could add some minimum force, but then that is adding yet another layer of extra force into the equation) and I could still feel the classic damping trying to resist my wheel's rotation back to center. I wonder if you need a direct drive wheel to fully appreciate this setting. Also I have damper effects 0% in my Thrustmaster profiler, does this need to be adjusted for DD to work?

I just did a 10 min race on Hungaroring in heavy rain and it was a blast, the track has a completely different feel to it when it's wet, it's a bit Monaco-esque. When you come into rhythm the track is great. I like that it has very technical parts but also a couple fast corners, especially 3+4

:ouch:

My pc isn't powerful enough to play ACC on a triple monitor setup on high settings. ACC doesn't look sharp at all. A lot of aliasing going on in ACC with my settings.

My pc isn't powerful enough to play ACC on a triple monitor setup on high settings. ACC doesn't look sharp at all. A lot of aliasing going on in ACC with my settings.

Well lucky you. My laptop can just hold 60FPS with all settings on Low (except draw distance Medium) on a single screen at 1080p during dry conditions. In the wet or if you add AI cars it drops further. So my playing is limited to just solo hotlapping for now. Still enjoying the physics though.

Note that I occasionally STILL play rFactor on my potato laptop from 2008 in all Low graphics settings. Yeah, I'm the polar opposite equivalent of a graphic buff :lol:

Well I just watched it on 1.5x speed, basically can be summarised as your first post. Helps with countersteering, period :lol:

I tried DD again last night and still not convinced tbh. It does make catching slides fractionally easier, but I never had a problem without it either. What it does is make the FFB around center vague (could add some minimum force, but then that is adding yet another layer of extra force into the equation) and I could still feel the classic damping trying to resist my wheel's rotation back to center. I wonder if you need a direct drive wheel to fully appreciate this setting. Also I have damper effects 0% in my Thrustmaster profiler, does this need to be adjusted for DD to work?

I just have a T300RS and I think it feels much better with dynamic damping at 100 than at 0 or anything less than 100, but we all like different things.

Everyone has aliasing, UE4 apparently isn't very good at doing AA and uses a different method to do it than we're used to. Hopefully they can get it cleaned up a bit by release.

I just have a T300RS and I think it feels much better with dynamic damping at 100 than at 0 or anything less than 100, but we all like different things.

Everyone has aliasing, UE4 apparently isn't very good at doing AA and uses a different method to do it than we're used to. Hopefully they can get it cleaned up a bit by release.
Yesterday, I tried ACC, maximum settings and got an average of 18FPS, using fraps with one car on track.

:embarrassed:

Yesterday, I tried ACC, maximum settings and got an average of 18FPS, using fraps with one car on track.

:embarrassed:

I don't think anyone can run maximum settings right now. VR users certainly can't. Not optimized enough yet, hopefully they can get it cleaned up by release.

I don't think anyone can run maximum settings right now. VR users certainly can't. Not optimized enough yet, hopefully they can get it cleaned up by release.
I forgot to mention that it was on a single 1080p monitor.

I was, but some shade from trees after T3 at Hungaroring for the Hotlap event causes a minor slowdown in framerate for me. Turned several settings down to High from Epic and it's all good. Still looks amazing. On a 30" TV.

Just noticed this today but the Ferrari has 2 settings for TC labelled TC1 & TC2. Anyone knows why this is the case?

Also with the Track Competence driver rating, is there a way of increasing it? I've gotten 3 stars in all tracks but never see the number go above 79. Do we just have to wait for more tracks to be released?

I can run max settigs but i also got some beefy specs (i7 8700k@5Ghz, 2080Ti), playing it on 165hz 1440p display. I got in low sun dry conditions 17 AI cars around 120-140fps everything maxed out.
But i can tell that it is not as well optimized as it could be because Project Cars 2 maxed out, same conditions same everything gives me the max fps of the monitor and the gpu sits only at 85% and i would not say that ACC is looking THAT much better graphics wise

Drove 5 x 30 minute night races at Hungaroring tonight. Really feeling the flow there in the M6! Might need to give the other tracks more mileage to get them feeling that good. Total Rating is up to 8959 and Bronze. Up from 6804 in a week of playing and progress getting a littler slower. Anyone know when the jump to Silver is please?

Attachments

• DSC_0031.JPG
    DSC_0031.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 13
Ferrari indeed feels good, seeing around 60fps with this update so not much has changed.

I agree with @BrandonW77 having DD @ 100, it feels much more linear to me.

Any other CSL owners out there? My rim settings made a big difference as well curious what other Fanatec owners are running.

CSL Elite
SEN Auto
SHO 0
ABS 10
DRI OFF
FOR 50
SPR 20
DPR OFF
FEI 0

In game gain 75%
Minimum 5%
Steering lock 110

Last edited:
When I was using Fanatec I always kept FOR on 100 and adjusted the FFB strength through the game. I'm not sure if it's still the case but I believe it used to be that the wheel actually used clipping to lower the FOR which obviously is not ideal. My DRI was different too but I think the CSL uses it differently than the CSW V2 did. But, as I always say, use the settings that are best for you because we don't all like/want the same thing from our setups.

Maybe this is already known by others but I was told (very reliable source) that Kunos chose for the Unreal Engine for marketing purposes because it was developed as a multi-platform engine. AC on the other hand# was a pure sim and ACC is simlike. Not simcade but simlike. ACC is less interesting for the purist because of decent VR and triple monitor support.

Maybe this is already known by others but I was told (very reliable source) that Kunos chose for the Unreal Engine for marketing purposes because it was developed as a multi-platform engine. AC on the other hand# was a pure sim and ACC is simlike. Not simcade but simlike. ACC is less interesting for the purist because of decent VR and triple monitor support.

Simlike? Thats a new term for me. Is it inbetween "pure sim" and "simcade"?

Simlike? Thats a new term for me. Is it inbetween "pure sim" and "simcade"?
It is a new term for me too. He said that it is a sim without the must have feature of a real sim like iRacing, AC ..... . He was talking about proper triple monitor setup and not the stretched version you have in ACC. There were other features he talked about but can't remember exactly. He did also mention no proper VR support.

Im confident your source is talking nonsense to be perfectly honest. Simlike lol

Im confident your source is talking nonsense to be perfectly honest. Simlike lol
Maybe, maybe not. He has a well-known website about sim racing news. He used to be part of a modding team.

I have to admit that I also have some doubt about his explanation but still ........

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. He has a well-known website about sim racing news. He used to be part of a modding team.

I have to admit that I also have some doubt about his explanation but still ........
KUNOS had a decision to make, spend a year building a new engine or look for alternatives. They found their alternative. People said AC physics would magically turn into arcade when it hit console. Including the physics on PC. No matter how many times KUNOS dispel these myths people still push them out.

KUNOS had a decision to make, spend a year building a new engine or look for alternatives. They found their alternative. People said AC physics would magically turn into arcade when it hit console. Including the physics on PC. No matter how many times KUNOS dispel these myths people still push them out.
I think you misunderstand. He didn't say anything about the physics engine nor did I. It is all about the UE4 engine to be multi-platform and has inherent problems (core engine of UE4) for proper multi-monitor setup and proper VR support. But he also said that Kunos will probably find a solution to fix this.

He also said that Kunos was sold and the (core) people behind Kunos are now millionaires. Netkar Pro, AC was created purely as a sim lover project. Kunos didn't expect this kind of success. Because Kunos being sold, the strategy changed to a more business earning strategy rather than a pure sim-racing-fan-making-a-sim kind of strategy. And that is why they chose to opt for the UE4 engine and not the in-house AC engine. ACC is a sim without the pure sim feature (multi-monitor setup as in iRacing and AC and proper VR support), that is why he called it simlike or sim-like.

His words, not mine.

Last edited:
I was told (very reliable source)
Thank you for adding (very reliable source) because without that I might not have taken your comment seriously, but with this simple addition I am now compelled to reconsider my assessment.
As a “purist” after driven almost 100 hours in ACC in VR, I was amazed how great the SIM drives and look. To me this is totally superior in every way to anything else I have ever driven, but now that I have read that you have been told by a ( very reliable source) that ACC is only “Simlike” I realize I was wrong.:confused:
Thank you kikie, your post are getting better and more informative all the time:bowdown:
Merry Christmas to you all and thank you for all the wonderful post that make me smile :) and even sometime LMAO. :lol:

Thank you for adding (very reliable source) because without that I might not have taken your comment seriously, but with this simple addition I am now compelled to reconsider my assessment.
As a “purist” after driven almost 100 hours in ACC in VR, I was amazed how great the SIM drives and look. To me this is totally superior in every way to anything else I have ever driven, but now that I have read that you have been told by a ( very reliable source) that ACC is only “Simlike” I realize I was wrong.:confused:
Thank you kikie, your post are getting better and more informative all the time:bowdown:
Merry Christmas to you all and thank you for all the wonderful post that make me smile :) and even sometime LMAO. :lol:
I'm not sure if you're making fun of me or if you are serious but I didn't mention the source because I don't know if he is going to like it if I mention him. I don't think he's on this forum but I'm not sure though. I'm going to meet him probably again in a few days.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstand. He didn't say anything about the physics engine nor did I. It is all about the UE4 engine to be multi-platform and has inherent problems (core engine of UE4) for proper multi-monitor setup and proper VR support. But he also said that Kunos will probably find a solution to fix this.

He also said that Kunos was sold and the (core) people behind Kunos are now millionaires. Netkar Pro, AC was created purely as a sim lover project. Kunos didn't expect this kind of success. Because Kunos being sold, the strategy changed to a more business earning strategy rather than a pure sim-racing-fan-making-a-sim kind of strategy. And that is why they chose to opt for the UE4 engine and not the in-house AC engine. ACC is a sim without the pure sim feature (multi-monitor setup as in iRacing and AC and proper VR support), that is why he called it simlike or sim-like.

His words, not mine.

Sorry, but what determines if a game is a sim or not is the physics. Has nothing to do with how many screens you can display the game on or how many features it has (ACC already has more racing features than AC did anyway and supports VR just fine), it has everything to do with how the car behaves and reacts to your inputs. And yes, heaven forbid a business actually tries to turn a profit on their product, that's always a strawman. Your source is just looking for a reason to take a dig at Kunos and make himself look smart. This applies to all racing games/devs, I'm not just blindly defending Kunos. And besides that, they're all video games no matter what labels people want to slap on them, and they're meant to give us fun and entertainment so if you have fun and enjoy playing it who cares what other people think about it. :)

Sorry, but what determines if a game is a sim or not is the physics. Has nothing to do with how many screens you can display the game on or how many features it has (ACC already has more racing features than AC did anyway and supports VR just fine), it has everything to do with how the car behaves and reacts to your inputs. And yes, heaven forbid a business actually tries to turn a profit on their product, that's always a strawman. Your source is just looking for a reason to take a dig at Kunos and make himself look smart. This applies to all racing games/devs, I'm not just blindly defending Kunos. And besides that, they're all video games no matter what labels people want to slap on them, and they're meant to give us fun and entertainment so if you have fun and enjoy playing it who cares what other people think about it. :)
Agreed!

But a sim is much more than just the physics IMHO. I also don't care if ACC is called a sim or simlike. As long as I enjoy every racing game I have, I'm pleased. I do miss proper triple screen implementation as AC has. ACC's triple screen side screens graphics look stretched and feel strange when looking to (at) the apex. I don't think he is against Kunos. He has AC and ACC.

Kudos to Kunos. :P

Agreed!

But a sim is much more than just the physics IMHO. I also don't care if ACC is called a sim or simlike. As long as I enjoy every racing game I have, I'm pleased. I do miss proper triple screen implementation as AC has. ACC's triple screen side screens graphics look stretched and feel strange when looking to (at) the apex. I don't think he is against Kunos. He has AC and ACC.

Kudos to Kunos. :P

I used to get bothered by the stretched triple screens too but after spending lots of time in R3E (which also did not support proper triple screen control) I eventually noticed that I didn't really notice it anymore, at least wasn't really bothered by it and still had lots of fun with it. Everyone has a different definition of what a "sim" is, which is why I rarely use the term because it's kinda useless for anything other than starting internet arguments. But for me the majority of it lies in the physics, the rest is just gravy and gravy is nothing without a tasty cut of meat underneath it. :). The first versions of AC had one car on one track, no real features, I don't think it even had AI, but it had really good physics and car behavior/control. To me that's far more of a "sim" than something like Forza with all kinds of features and functions and AI and triple screen support. But like I said, none of that matters to me, what matters is how big of a smile it puts on my face regardless of what other people label it as. :D

He also said that Kunos was sold and the (core) people behind Kunos are now millionaires. Netkar Pro, AC was created purely as a sim lover project. Kunos didn't expect this kind of success. Because Kunos being sold, the strategy changed to a more business earning strategy rather than a pure sim-racing-fan-making-a-sim kind of strategy. And that is why they chose to opt for the UE4 engine and not the in-house AC engine.
It doesn't matter how much you love something, just doing the same thing forever will make you lose that passion. They didn't use their in house engine because it only has one light source and graphically not that advanced. Stefano even said he couldn't wait to finish on AC as it was just becoming a pain. Rewriting their in house engine surely would have exasperated that process.

IACC is a sim without the pure sim feature (multi-monitor setup as in iRacing and AC and proper VR support), that is why he called it simlike or sim-like.

His words, not mine.
Well I think that's a little silly defining it as sim/simlike based on how many screens you can use. What does that leave people with who have AC and Iracing with their triple screen support but only posses one screen? In any case, ACC isn't even full release yet.

Well I think that's a little silly defining it as sim/simlike based on how many screens you can use. What does that leave people with who have AC and Iracing with their triple screen support but only posses one screen? In any case, ACC isn't even full release yet.
Don't forget, not my words. Don't kill the messenger. :P

Your logic is flawed. How can a sim be determend as a sim or not by how many monitors people have? Unless I misunderstand you.

Back