Easiest Controller Figuration for Manual?

• Thread starter Blitz24
  • 18 comments

Blitz24

Chromalusion Member
Premium
United States
NJ/USA
Blitzbay
Blitzbay
Been trying to run a manual efficiently on FM5 and I'm slightly having issues with it. Just curious what others have tried to use.

I have mine set so that way the right Joystick is Clutch/Handbrake, upshift is the left bumber and downshift is the right bumper. It works easier for me that way because it allows you to be smooth on the gas and brake with out interruption from shifting, since depending on which way your shifting, up or down, they are on opposite sides of each other. Some people say that's hard, but I found that to be the easiest and most full proof, the A/B set up just wasnt good for me.

I don't like the button setup like I can use it for GT. I want to try RT/LT as gas/brake and LB/RB as down/up but it's hard to actually press the bumbers for some reason.

I don't like the button setup like I can use it for GT. I want to try RT/LT as gas/brake and LB/RB as down/up but it's hard to actually press the bumbers for some reason.
I noticed that immediately as I switched from 360 to One. The bumpers seem farther away from the triggers. It does take some getting used to, but it can be done. I am using it, and it is very effective.

Yeah, I think because I just switched it's going to be a hard learning curve for me. I'm currently using RWD cars to acclimate myself to any "out of control" conditions.

Yeah, I think because I just switched it's going to be a hard learning curve for me. I'm currently using RWD cars to acclimate myself to any "out of control" conditions.
Easiest way to help with that is to make sure all assists are off as well. Also, Add me if you'd like :)

No assists for me and clutch on, this is the best control scheme that @Tiddy showed me.

B- change up
X- change down
A - clutch

That way you can press the clutch and the gear change button at the same time while momentarily coming off the throttle.

No assists for me and clutch on, this is the best control scheme that @Tiddy showed me.

B- change up
X- change down
A - clutch

That way you can press the clutch and the gear change button at the same time while momentarily coming off the throttle.
That was always awkward for me as doing A and B seemed a bit odd on my fingers. The way I mentioned above flows way smoother with me.

Really dumb question but how do I correct a car that wants to spin off of exit of a corner?

@Blitz24 Let off the gas as soon as you think you are losing control, brake(dont slam them, feather them) and make subtle yet precise corrections.

However, sometimes it can be to late. If you dont react fast enough then it'll just spin, so think fast because another second in and you can be ass-backwards.

@Blitz24 Let off the gas as soon as you think you are losing control, brake(dont slam them, feather them) and make subtle yet precise corrections.

However, sometimes it can be to late. If you dont react fast enough then it'll just spin, so think fast because another second in and you can be ass-backwards.
It's worse when I'm driving any non-4WD car, and the Prototypes are impossible for me to run quickly.

It's worse when I'm driving any non-4WD car, and the Prototypes are impossible for me to run quickly.
You'll get used to it, it takes some time though. Practicing drifting can help you out in hairy situations too.

With auto-clutch, I think using X/A or Y/B to shift up/down respectively is an easier way. One thumb on steering, index fingers for pedals, another thumb on gears.

Really dumb question but how do I correct a car that wants to spin off of exit of a corner?
A couple ideas that might help out:
1) apply power slowly and a bit later, and if the right trigger starts to rumble a bit, don't squeeze anymore till it stops rumbling
2) widen rear tires
3) increase rear toe in
4) decrease dif accel setting (but not less than 50 or so, or you'll end up dog-legging)
5) soften rear roll bar
6) when all else fails, TCS on!
Good luck!

It really depends why you're losing traction on the back wheels. are you going on throttle to quickly? Do you have your differential lock set to high? Are you over compensating throttle on by dropping the throttle to quickly (this can also lead to reduced traction from engine braking)? Are your tires loosing compliance with the ground because your suspension is too stiff? Is the car bouncing because your suspension is to soft? Is your rear roll bar to stiff/ Front to soft?

in short, increase traction to your back wheels and maintain it smoothly. If you are using the racing differential, I would start by lowering the lock setting.

B- change up
X- change down
A - clutch

That's how I do it. It can lead to some ruff down shifting. gotta make sure you go back on throttle just right. I'm getting to the point I can down shift mid corner without throwing my back out. great for dealing with understeer.

Last edited:
Back