Eddy's PVC Rig from start to finish - (Inspired by SIMUL8R) - Now with Insturctions!

• Thread starter SlowEddy
  • 284 comments
I'm looking at building a driving simulator rig, and found these plans. It looks very nice. I'm wondering why the 45 degree bend up at the front of the frame? Is that just to angle the pedals? Or, is it hard to find "T" junctions with 45 degree angle instead of 90?

Hello folks! I'm excited to jump on the DIY PVC rig bandwagon. I have a couple of questions as I'm new to PVC (and DIY):

- Has anyone tried schedule 80 PVC with a smaller diameter? 1 1/2" or 1 1/4"? I'm hoping the thicker PVC would make up for the smaller diameter and still provide as good or better rigidity.
- My monitor is currently on a swivel monitor arm and I can lower it to ~31 inches. How should I go about figuring out what height the rig should support for optimal seating position? I know a lot of folks here might have used trial and error but am wondering if someone has landed on some useful guidelines for sizing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello everybody...

I'm new with Simcar games and astounded with this project. For days I was searching for a wheestand to buy (cockpits are $$$) and found some DIY wooden projects but this... this is definitive. So I'm ready to assemble my PVC cockpit but apprehensive too. I'm about to buy the carseat of a Chevrolet... Too comfortable that I didn't think twice.

The problem is that I'd want to use the carseat in front of PC without the cockpit in other moments, and for what I see, the project has a lowered height. So... What can I do to solve this problem?

Hi. Can someone share the plan for Eddy's rig. I couldn't download the high res version from photobucket. Maybe eddy disabled sharing?

Thanks.. I'm itching to build this now..

Hi. Can someone share the plan for Eddy's rig. I couldn't download the high res version from photobucket. Maybe eddy disabled sharing?

Thanks.. I'm itching to build this now..
Don't download. Copy and paste (in a map on you hard drive) the photos. I was able to do this just now.

Mine are 1733x1028. But you can open the images and zoom in very easily without losing sharpness. Depends which link you use to copy/paste the images from.

Hi all and Eddy! New here ,and also trying to find your pictures elsewhere.. :D Any chance someone has them somewhere? Benn googling for like 2 hours..

Not glued, but assembled. Like I said...I added two y fittings in the front for the posibility of future expansion. If I never do, no loss, but if I decide to add, I wont have to pull anything apart or cut. I'll just take off the caps and start adding pipe and fittings.

CarSimulator006.jpg

CarSimulator007.jpg

Hoping to get it glued up today...maybe get the board for the base for the seat done as well.

Once again, thanks Eddy and sim!

Andretti
hi could you please send me your meaurement used, i'd love to recreate your rig with an optional monitor mount. it would be greatly appreciated.

"Can anyone share the plan from the original rig? links are dead" I can see the pictures now, my bad
Thank you very much Eddy, building the rig this weekend

Last edited:
Hello folks! I'm excited to jump on the DIY PVC rig bandwagon. I have a couple of questions as I'm new to PVC (and DIY):

- Has anyone tried schedule 80 PVC with a smaller diameter? 1 1/2" or 1 1/4"? I'm hoping the thicker PVC would make up for the smaller diameter and still provide as good or better rigidity.
- My monitor is currently on a swivel monitor arm and I can lower it to ~31 inches. How should I go about figuring out what height the rig should support for optimal seating position? I know a lot of folks here might have used trial and error but am wondering if someone has landed on some useful guidelines for sizing?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Even if they were solid I doubt they'd make up the difference in stiffness compared to having a wider diameter. Material at the edge is key to stiffness. Material nearer the centre is wasted in terms of stiffness.

Back