Eddy's PVC Rig from start to finish - (Inspired by SIMUL8R) - Now with Insturctions!

• Thread starter SlowEddy
  • 284 comments
Might sound lazy, but anyone have a list of how much of all i need? Like how many foots of pvc pipes? And how many 90°elbows do i need? Etc
Polarfox

This is what I used.

PVC Tee 30
45 deg elbow 4
90 deg elbow 8
2" caps 4
and 3 10' pieces of 2" pipe.

I am still working on my setup. Need to paint etc.
Will post pictures once I am finished.

Everything in Eddy's blueprint was exceptional :) ...It was nice having a parts list and the blueprint itself was extremely helpful.

I would recommend this build to anybody. Thank you Eddy and Simul8r :)

BUYING PARTS IN CANADA: I would suggest avoiding places like Lowes, Home Depot or Rona, as they do not keep a large quantity of 2" Schedule 40 pipe or fittings. I wasted an afternoon trying to track down such a large quantity of parts. I ended up just calling a Irrigation/Lawn Sprinkler company and ordered it all at once. Now I have to return all the other fittings to Lowes which is less than ideal, however knowing all the parts are made by the same company and identical was worth it.

I will post pictures when I have it painted...going with the Krylon "Fusion" paint (specifically made for plastic/pvc etc) Gloss Red fittings with Matte black pipes.

Last edited:
What did you end up going with? I can't find this measurement either.

I had to build the entire cockpit and in the end I measured this distance and cut it using correct lenght.

My project is a litthe diferent from Eddy's because mine has a small platform in front of wheel section in order to mount a monitor. This part is exactly the as Simul8or.

I guess the measurement was about 87 centimeters.

Hi Prim4te. Would you mind sharing which company you ordered the pvc from? also is the price cheaper? thanks!

The pvc company is named "Lasco" and the sprinkler company is called Raintree Irrigation.

I paid $3.41 per part (tee's/elbows) and $20 per 10ft stick of Schedule 40 pvc pipe at Raintree. I saw the purchase pricing book and their price was actually $4.50 a piece retail. I got lucky because I happened to work for the company back when I was in high school(apparently I did a poor job taking into account the poor discount I received)

Driving all around Toronto to difference big box stores took away an entire Saturday. If I was just patient and waited till the Monday when everything was open, I could have saved myself a lot of gas and time. Not to mention the frustration after the 17yr old so called "plumbing expert" at Lowes would report he only had 5 tee's in stock. SIGH lol. Oh and when asked to simply order the parts specifically for me...he said "the computer does the "auto buy" we have no control. I can only imagine the computer was going to order a whopping 5 more tee's to stock.

I would call local plumbing suppliers and irrigation companies and search the best price. Lowes pricing is $3.79 per tee, 90degree elbows @$2.73 and 45degree elbows @$3.44. They have good pricing but its rare they will have 30 or more tees in stock. You could try ordering from the Lowes Website, but who knows how long that will take. Lowes = pooh

Last edited:
Mine's:
25012013195.jpg

25012013201.jpg

25012013200.jpg

I'll move to my room and install everything tomorrow. I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Hey people ,
I was looking for the Best way to set myself up. Not enough dough to buy a ready made !
Looking at folding dîner tables,ikea tables, boxes...

But eddy's and Simul8r's designs are spectacular and I also will begin my very own rig.
Got the list and instructions seem very comprehensive . The only thing I do not have are the plans, when i go ahead and save pics or even look at them the are too small any way of helping with this ????

In the meantime I do have good pictures of all your rigs which should help me a bit.......

Thanks for your help.
Vince

H I there,
Did you used SketchUp software to design your cock pit in pvc . How did you make the elbows and pipe did you make them yourshelf or are they in the programs? If you made them can you please send me the files for them? Cos I would like to play with a design?Thanks Michael

Does anyone know any other place that sells these fittings ?, i checked Homedepot but its really expensive, like 3.50 a fitting. I am located in Markham also thank you for such great design and intructions Sloweddy.

Does anyone know any other place that sells these fittings ?, i checked Homedepot but its really expensive, like 3.50 a fitting. I am located in Markham also thank you for such great design and intructions Sloweddy.

Call irrigation companies in your area or bulk plumbing stores.

I'm going to start working on this project next week with my first paycheck of the summer.
What all tools would I need other than a hacksaw??

I'm going to start working on this project next week with my first paycheck of the summer.
What all tools would I need other than a hacksaw??

You could get by with a hacksaw, a tape measure and some sandpaper. The sandpaper helps with cleaning up the pipe and fittings before applying the glue.

You could get by with a hacksaw, a tape measure and some sandpaper. The sandpaper helps with cleaning up the pipe and fittings before applying the glue.

I see. how do you guys glue this thing together??? and what kind of a glue would I need???? just some Super Glue would do??? Sorry I've never made anything with PVC and I'm not too familiar with these kind of things.

With pvc cement. But be careful - is permanent.

Ahhh gotcha. So would you recommend I build everything, make sure it's standing and it's not lopsided, and then I take everything apart and glue them together??

and there is no way I'm using hacksaw on this thing, it'll take me forever. I'll probably run by a department store and see if they can cut them up for me. hacksaw isn't very clean and smooth either.

Last edited:
Ahhh gotcha. So would you recommend I build everything, make sure it's standing and it's not lopsided, and then I take everything apart and glue them together??

and there is no way I'm using hacksaw on this thing, it'll take me forever. I'll probably run by a department store and see if they can cut them up for me. hacksaw isn't very clean and smooth either.

Get a PVC saw. There cheap and will cut the pipe in half the time.

Get a PVC saw. There cheap and will cut the pipe in half the time.

wow, had no idea such a thing existed even hahahaha. thanks I definitely will! better than spending $90-100 bucks on a electric saw that I'll probably only use once a year

Latest Posts

Back