Elite: Dangerous

• Thread starter marky5244
  • 749 comments
I played some over the weekend, I have my anaconda almost fully modded, just have a couple weopons to do yet. I'm also working on my FDL too.

I started a new job and been working tons of hours, lots of 10-12 hour days, so I don't play as much as I did. I find myself getting really bored with the game now, I have enough materials to try 6 rolls for a level 5 dirty drive on my FDL. It only gets 10-11 LY per jump. I'm currently on my way to Maia, it's 60 jumps from founders world, I get so bored quick, I'll jump 8-10 jumps and turn it off! :lol:

Once I mod my FDL, I really don't know what's going to keep me interested anymore, every single activity I find, is fun for 30 minutes, then I tire of it. Maybe I've played too much, I just can't get into it like I was.

Every game gets boring eventually, I still have a long ways to go before I reach that point and by then some new fangled game will come out and take my attention away for good anyway. But I think Elite will continue to get more interesting as we go with the content on the way, we still have 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4 DLC's to drop this year so there's always that. I plan on playing it for at least another year on and off. I need to pay more attention to Forza 6 and I know Forza Horizon 3 will steal me away for awhile too, but I think Elite will be a game that I come back to. Congrats on the new job.

A glimpse of the new space station interiors:

maxresdefault.jpg

A grainy pic of a creepy Alien Space ship that just destroyed a bunch of ships:

spooky%20elite%20alien.jpg

New Fighter while docked:

kzv0dh3sn1gx.png

New high tech station dock images:

kChE48W.jpg

A glimpse of the new space station interiors:

maxresdefault.jpg

A grainy pic of a creepy Alien Space ship that just destroyed a bunch of ships:

spooky%20elite%20alien.jpg

New Fighter while docked:

kzv0dh3sn1gx.png

New high tech station dock images:

kChE48W.jpg

Wow, that looks awesome. Pretty excited about this, is this all coming this year?

Late to this party, but I waited until I had a setup to start in VR.

I'm at the very beginning, daunting, ever so slightly lost but keen to get into it.

It's an awesome game. It takes awhile to get used to things, but once you get going it will suck you in. Good thing is, there's all kinds of information on the web, and a lot of it is linked right here in this thread. So if you have any questions, it should be easy for you to find answers. 👍

Wow, that looks awesome. Pretty excited about this, is this all coming this year?

It's an awesome game. It takes awhile to get used to things, but once you get going it will suck you in. Good thing is, there's all kinds of information on the web, and a lot of it is linked right here in this thread. So if you have any questions, it should be easy for you to find answers. 👍

Been reading for months, the hardest thing to fathom so far is navigation and the ui in vr. Looking forward to it

2.2 has a mid October release which will include the ship launched fighters, new space station interiors (coming to the more ritzy systems but not all) new ships, passenger missions, better navigation/route planning and more. I'm not sure how much of the Alien content we will see in 2.2, whether it will just be introduced or perhaps more.

Last edited:

:lol:

Edit: I finally made it to Maia in my FDL, I rolled the max optimal multiplier of 29%, plus I got a 3% bonus on top of that. My max speed with 4 pips in the engine is 368, and my boost speed is 495. :)

Last edited:
Still no PS4 version announced. :banghead:

It's getting seriously overdue now.

I don't think they'll announce anything until October, perhaps even as long as Q1 next year, sounds like they are working on it though, but Frontier is behind schedule on its Xbox one and PC content, so don't expect anything too soon.

There's no exclusivity period at the moment but we're just developing the PS4 version of the game at the moment. We're hoping it's ready for you all soon but we're not quite there yet. More to be announced soon :)

I got this game as a backer, but never really got into it or time to play it. But the recent NMS release has re-sparked my interest. Any tips/tutorials a newbie could follow (other than the ones in game) to get up and running quickly? Is exploration a good approach, or should I trade, mine or hunt?

I got this game as a backer, but never really got into it or time to play it. But the recent NMS release has re-sparked my interest. Any tips/tutorials a newbie could follow (other than the ones in game) to get up and running quickly? Is exploration a good approach, or should I trade, mine or hunt?

Watch that video, that helped me tremendously before I started. Also there's a bunch of great links/info in this thread on things, plus all kinds of info/videos on the Internet and YouTube, that are extremely helpful.

As far as what you should do, it's really up to you. You can do all of those things, whenever you want.

Exploration is probably the least profitable of those options, or I guess takes the longest to make a ton of money, buy you don't have to go thousands of light years out, to do it . You can do it right in the middle of the bubble. Some people go way far out, and do it for months at a time.

Mining is really cool, but if you want to make a ton of money doing it you'll need a bigger ship.

The most reliable way to make money is trading, it can get boring but it's really the most consistent. Once you get the hang of it and get some decent routes, you can tell how much you'll average an hour.

Nav beacons and HaZ RES sites, are great places to make money bounty hunting. Nav beacons are the best place to start, until you get the hang of it and better ships.

The mission boards are a great way to make money now, especially once you get a ship with decent cargo space, or learn how to smuggle. You can make millions really quickly.

The best thing to do really, is work your way up to a few better ships. The sidewinder is pretty useless. Once you start getting better ships, you can make a lot more money trading(more cargo space) and bounty hunting. Don't buy a ship, if you can't afford Mostly A rating it(putting the best parts on it) right away, and always make sure you have enough credits for a few buybacks(insurance), especially until you get good at fighting, or good at escaping.

Learning to get around and navigate, that changes a lot of things to once you learn how to scoop fuel and travel better, plus learning the galaxy map.

Really just read this thread, and check out any links/videos you can. Ask any questions you have, some one will answer, or even google it, there's a ton of good info out there. :)

Last edited:
Two things, I'm really enjoying the Python I just bought, the jump range sucks but that's all pre-engineer mods, it will be better by the time I'm done with it. I love that I can take on multiple ships at once and lay waste to them at resource extraction sites. It's basically A-rated with military armor right now, it's already one tough ship.

Last night I bought a Viper MKIV and took it out to Diaguandri, Ray Station to outfit it (15% discount on mods there), the jury is still out but I think I will enjoy it as much as I do my Cobra MKIII (which is fully engineer modded and just a destroyer now). It is configured to hold 28t of cargo, I would have gotten more out of it but I swapped my 3E Shield Generator with a 4E cargo rack so I could equip a 4A shield, more shields=less storage, but that was a good trade off imo because I am definitely going to be bounty hunting with it.

Then I went to a Nav beacon to test the Viper MK4 out (right before going to bed), got in a great battle with a Federal Dropship, just about had it destroyed and then.....black screen......"It's time to update", I hate the Xbox sometimes....not sure why it doesn't let you at least log out before forcing the update on you. I didn't even update it, just turned the xbox off...

Two things, I'm really enjoying the Python I just bought, the jump range sucks but that's all pre-engineer mods, it will be better by the time I'm done with it. I love that I can take on multiple ships at once and lay waste to them at resource extraction sites. It's basically A-rated with military armor right now, it's already one tough ship.

Last night I bought a Viper MKIV and took it out to Diaguandri, Ray Station to outfit it (15% discount on mods there), the jury is still out but I think I will enjoy it as much as I do my Cobra MKIII (which is fully engineer modded and just a destroyer now). It is configured to hold 28t of cargo, I would have gotten more out of it but I swapped my 3E Shield Generator with a 4E cargo rack so I could equip a 4A shield, more shields=less storage, but that was a good trade off imo because I am definitely going to be bounty hunting with it.

Then I went to a Nav beacon to test the Viper MK4 out (right before going to bed), got in a great battle with a Federal Dropship, just about had it destroyed and then.....black screen......"It's time to update", I hate the Xbox sometimes....not sure why it doesn't let you at least log out before forcing the update on you. I didn't even update it, just turned the xbox off...
The pythons still my favorite ship by far. The only ship I haven't tried is the federal corvette, and it's not going to dethrone my Python. It's so practical, and can kick major ass, especially once it's modded. Being able to land at outposts is a huge plus. I think I have a 18-19 LY jump range, and that's pretty tanked/beefed up. It can get better without so much armor. Glad you enjoy yours. 👍

Hey guys how's your elite dangerous universe doing for you? I haven't checked to the elite thread for months only read this page, I regularly check news page and that's it.

So I bought a cutter last week then after a day or two sold it but changes to make 2.4 mill on a really poor cr/t run with 768 tons and no shield.

I still don't have enough money to carry a rate one so I sold the cutter and bought a python. I wanted to a rate a python and a rate and engineer both my clipper and python.

So I finally have 320mill in total assets. I been playing the game a long time and still am no where near making 1 billion or a class a corvette or cutter.

I still don't have any fed ranking but a month or two ago I made Duke and I'm still at 6% Duke which is why I bought the cutter.

Anyways I wanted to finally do the engineering stuff. So basically I started doing the engineers stuff within the past 2 to maybe 3 weeks most.

My clipper was a rated, everything except sensors and life support were doing rated. I got lucky with 3 rolls and an experimental effect on my two grade 3 modded 2f pulse lasers.

Clippers thrusters are grade 3 clean drive tuning. 3 pips 330m/s and 4 pips 380m/s. Boost speed 480m/s. The 6e shield generator had a grade 1 reinforced shield generator.

My Python within the past few weeks days has had the clippers 2f modded lightweight mount pulse lasers switched over to it. Plus 3 still currently unmodded 3e pulse lasers.

It's had a thrusters grade 3 dirty drive, shield generator was recently redone from grade 3 to a grade 5 reinforced Shields generator. The power distributor has just had a grade 4 charge enhanced power distributor. Shield boosters to grade 3.

So my Python now has a a laden jump range between 20 to 24 cargo between 33 tons of a total of 212 carrying capacity. At best with no cargo I've had 25 to 26 jump range with fuel. My max jump range is like 27 to 28 LY.

With no cargo she'll do 322m/s 4 pips, and 420-422m/s boost speed. With cargob33 tons and up 310m/s and 410m/s boost. Shield is upto 963 mJ with the two shield boosters providing 33 to 38 extra strength.

It's really great the fact that the only ships have trouble taking down are either dangerous or elite ranked npc in a vulture or fur de lance. But in general I have taken down other fur design lance, clippers, asp explorers, diamondback explorers, fas, fgs.

Since the engineers I am now able to enjoy fighting the npcs all over again whereas before it is had no chance with no mods. All I need is grade 5 thrusters more materials to try get better roll on grade 5 on shield generator. I need to try for better power distributor grade 5 and I need to mod my 3 3e pulse lasers.

Just in the past few days I been doing engineers for the python, doing the community goal delivering auto fabricators and I made 69 mill from it. Then I took gold to let 133 and made 16 mill.

Also I been trying to get the Sirius permit to unlock Marco qwent in Sirius. Marco qwent unlocks Prof Palin and Palin does grade 5 thrusters.

All in all I'm really enjoying this game. I recently visited the alien ship crash site in the plieades. What I will say to people here is really watch the community goals as the last two payed out so massively it instantly made many Cmdr hugely wealthy.

One of my friends made 220+mill with the top Cmdr making nearly 500 mill. If you guys want a great way to build imperial rank try hip 10716 - wu guinagi. You'll make good money build up trade ranking, build imperial rank, and get really good missions which will pay out really great rare materials, and commodities.

2.2 is going to bring active volcanism, geysers, a better filter system to improve the router planner. A galaxy map update and system map update with real time accurate planet animations. Ship launch fighters, the Beluga, VIP missions. Npc multi crew.

Ship transfers, cargo or module storage. Xbox one will be getting shop paints for the cutter and corvette, ship kits for the python, asp and one other ship which I don't remember off hand.

The game is getting bigger stations where huge fleet ships are stored and stations with new interiors which shows what kind of economy is working in the the background.

We are getting new types of stations using architectural design of the type seen in cqc arena. So we'll be seeing more interesting station designs. I can't wait for that.

Anyways guys I'll be checking back within next couple days. Let me know what your favourite new feature will be in 2.2. My favourite will be what comes in 2.3 or 2.4, avatars and 3rd person where you can walk around your ship and have multi crew.

Being able to walk around my ship bridge and visit and walk all upper and lower decks and walk on foot outside of my ship or walk on a planet or walk around a station. Being able to meet the characters you interact with in game powers and factions will be so awesome. It's what excites me the most.

Anyways guys sorry for a long post but I guess it makes up for my absence from the forum. Talk soon. Cmdr Maxpower211983 signing off.

wraith of horus, I'm really not sure what my favorite feature is that is coming in 2.2, all of it excites me, the new station interiors, ship launched features, Volcanism on planets but I can tell you the one that intrigues me the most is the Alien stuff, can't wait for that

That is really great info on the Python btw, thank you, I still need to start engineer-modding mine, it's already mostly A-Rated, I think I just have the sensors and life support left to A-rate. My current jump range is horrible, something like 12-15ly, but I love taking it to conflict zones, RES zones and Nav beacons and just cleaning up with it. I accidentally rammed another ship (it was a FDS or FAS I think) I was engaged in a battle with another ship in my Python, and the other ship was trying to flank me, I took it's shields down instantly lol and only lost one ring of my shields, then I targeted it and finished the job quickly before switching back to the first ship I was engaged with to destroy it. Ramming is very effective with the Python, I remember prousonhairy saying something to that effect, maybe next time I will try it on purpose.

I have the Python equipped with 3 Beam lasers (two of them turreted), frag cannons and missiles but that may change before I'm done. I originally started building it for the Ceos-Sothis run because it's a medium ship that can go to both stations in Sothis and has 212t cargo, but the jump range killed that idea.

I have the first 5 engineers unlocked, all of them are level 3 or higher, I have 3 more that appeared on my list, Marcos being one of them, I need to get on doing those soon. I think the next one I have to do is in the Yoru system and I need to be friendly with them,. One thing I highly recommend when gathering surface prospecting resources for Engineers is a Surface Scanner. I have one equipped on my Asp Explorer. When I go to my system map and highlight a planet, I scroll down to the bottom of the information box on the left (it might be the 2nd tab over to the right) and it displays all of the resources available on each planet. It evens displays the % of the chance to find each element. This feature came in a recent update and it's easy to overlook it if you don't know where it is. I noticed on planets that were not scanned with a ship that has a Surface Scanner equipped, this information is not displayed.

On the community challenges, I haven't been doing any lately, and now I am regretting it after reading your post, wow that is insane money! The most I made from a community challenge is 7 million credits, though I did make a Ceos/sothis run last night and netted 43 million, not too bad, it was my first run in quite some time, I haven't been doing them since Ceos was UA bombed and the mission board on the station was shut down. I'm now up to 330 million credits.

Regarding the Ship Kits and shop Paints for Xbox 1, I would certainly by more if the prices were say, cut in half of what they are now. I did by the ship kit for the Cobra MKIII and I love the Body options, I think it worked out to $7.50, a bit pricey if you know what I mean but I do love it. Since the Asp Explorer is my favorite ship, I will most likely buy a ship kit for it too. As for the paints, I usually wait for them to go on sale.

Regarding the Imperial Rank, it says I am cordial 20% but I have yet to really do anything on that front. I made a mental note on trying HIP 10716 - Wu Guinagi for rank when I'm ready. I'm currently a Warrant Officer at 69% in the Federation, once I receive 100% I will unlock the Gunship, my goal is still to get to the Corvette, but the lure of the Empire ships is strong. I still play this game just about every day (since March), still loving it just as much. I have yet to go on a serious Exploration and I have yet to really try mining.

This is an Unknown Artefact and can be found in the current game :)
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Unknown_Artefact

I haven't encountered one of those in the game yet, of course the furthest I've been outside the bubble is about 400ly. I imagine you would nee to travel pretty far to see one of those things.

On a side note, the Alien ship crash site has been found, there are some videos up for those interested. I don't really care about spoilers too much in an open-ended game like Elite, so I watched them.

I haven't encountered one of those in the game yet, of course the furthest I've been outside the bubble is about 400ly. I imagine you would nee to travel pretty far to see one of those things.

They are fairly rare so the chances of seeing one are quite slim but there are known areas for them on the wiki. 👍

I just achieved my Ensign rank in the Federation over last weekend and promptly went out and bought a Gunship, here are my first impressions:

To maximize the jump range, I mostly D-rated the modules (except the FSD which is A-rated). The Shield Generator and Thrusters are B-rated and I had to upgrade to a C-rated Power Generator to run my current weapons loadout. Then I did some light engineering, mostly level one and level two stuff on the weapons.

For the two small hardpoints on top I am running small, turreted pulse lasers and for the two medium hardpoints on each side I am running gimbaled Multi-Cannons (which looks very awesome I might add, mean as hell, it puts the Gun in Gunship imo), and lastly for the two medium hardpoints on the bottom, I am running Seeking missiles. My large hardpoint is still empty...haven't decided what to do with it yet and I need more power first.

After visiting several Engineers about the weapons and armor (which is reinforced light armor) I flew out to Decait and modded the FSD to level 5. I only had one magnetic coil on hand so I had one roll. I got and average roll, could have been better and my jump range is now 19.36 ly with the current build.

Before leaving Decait, I modded the B-rated thrusters to a level 3 dirty drive tuning.

I left the size 6 internal compartment empty for now as I plant to stock it with a fighter when 2.2 comes.

On the way back home I stopped by the local nav-beacon to for a test run and was instantly attacked by 3 NPC's. I made short work of two of them and the Fed's killed the last one. Then I laid waste to any wanted NPC in my sights, the twin multi-cannons on each side are just awesome while my Auto-turreted pulse lasers just do their thing, I barely used the missiles but it was nice having them. So far, I am absolutely loving the Gunship and I can only image how potent it will be with something in the large hardpoint and a ship launched fighter. For all of the hate the Gunship gets, I feel it's undeserved, this ship is awesome! With the level 3 dirty drive tuning it handles alright, speed is around 225 without boost, over 300 with boost. It's still a work in progress so it's only going to get better once I keep engineering it with higher level weapons mods. If I had to sum up what it feels like to fly a gunship, then this picture of a Hind sums it up nicely.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sweet, that will give me a reason to play again. I haven't played in a couple months, I've been working a ton of hours, and preoccupied with other games.

I've been playing a lot of FH3 and a little of Elite in my spare time. I also bought Ark and started playing that too. You might want to get any last minute Ceos/Sothis runs in just in case the rumors are correct and they nerf it. I'm going to be spending my time finishing off the engineer mods on my Gunship. I'm buying a Keelback this weekend too, need to outfit it and get it ready. The goal is to have at least two ships that can carry small fighters. Going to a Halloween party tonight and spending time with my Grandma tomorrow, so that just leaves Sunday and Monday to play Elite before the update on Tuesday.

I've been playing a lot of FH3 and a little of Elite in my spare time. I also bought Ark and started playing that too. You might want to get any last minute Ceos/Sothis runs in just in case the rumors are correct and they nerf it. I'm going to be spending my time finishing off the engineer mods on my Gunship. I'm buying a Keelback this weekend too, need to outfit it and get it ready. The goal is to have at least two ships that can carry small fighters. Going to a Halloween party tonight and spending time with my Grandma tomorrow, so that just leaves Sunday and Monday to play Elite before the update on Tuesday.
I played a lot of FH3 too, and I recently bought Elder Scrolls Online(I see me spending the next few months investing tons of hours on this one), plus The first Dark Souls 3 DLC drops next Tuesday. I have 5 days off though,'I only have to be back at work next Wednesday night at 11pm.

It's kind of a shame, there really isn't any games coming out that I'm looking forward to, off the top of my head the only two are Forza 7(unconfirmed yet, but surely coming) and Red Dead Redemtion 2, both of those are a year away. At least I have a few games like ESO and ED, that will keep me more than preoccupied.

I think I have around 200 million yet in Elite, I don't see me spending much of the little time I have to play, doing anymore Sothis runs.

I played a lot of FH3 too, and I recently bought Elder Scrolls Online(I see me spending the next few months investing tons of hours on this one), plus The first Dark Souls 3 DLC drops next Tuesday. I have 5 days off though,'I only have to be back at work next Wednesday night at 11pm.

It's kind of a shame, there really isn't any games coming out that I'm looking forward to, off the top of my head the only two are Forza 7(unconfirmed yet, but surely coming) and Red Dead Redemtion 2, both of those are a year away. At least I have a few games like ESO and ED, that will keep me more than preoccupied.

I think I have around 200 million yet in Elite, I don't see me spending much of the little time I have to play, doing anymore Sothis runs.

Saw my first Red Dead R 2 commercial, I'm so stoked for that game. You're right, there isn't much beyond my gaming radar than RDR2 and Forza 7. I just plan to keep on playing FH3, ED, ArK and The Crew and maybe one of these days I'll get back into Fallout 4 and finish it too.

Sothis/Ceos was nerfed, it's been confirmed, glad I made one more run yesterday (mainly for federation rank running data missions not money) but I still made 50 million on the return trip and raised my Ensign rank from 28% to 56%. Now I'm going to completely outfight my Anaconda, not sure what I'm going for yet though, a mining/exploration build, combat build, or keep it as an armed trader. Since I sold my T-7, my Anaconda is my only large trader. My Python can hold 212t though. I might rebuy the T-7 when Frontier tweaks it, those changes are coming soon

I am geeked about this update. Hope a cat walked on my keyboard so it updated. That's a pretty big update. That said, i just recently erased my game data on accident. So I'll be using that as an excuse to work on the new people transportation mission additions. Wonder if they will have the space equivalent to a bank heist get away driver...

Edit: This update must be killing steam? I cant get the b to chooch along. Doesnt seem to want to connect to steams servers

Double Edit: 9 gig? I am looking at 13... Yeesh!

Last edited:
Back