Elite: Dangerous

• Thread starter marky5244
  • 749 comments
Grinding the Federal rank for that now, just picked up my iCutter, it's pretty but the handling... oh, the handling. Barf :D

Haven't made it that far in the Imperial Rank but I'm close to Duke, could probably have it in a half a day and I have the money to buy and outfit a Cutter. But now there are all these new distracting shiny ships to buy, so it may have to wait longer.

Grinding missions between Sothis and Ceos is what worked for me for Federation rank like bluemoon_19 mentioned above. There are other methods but that one is probably the quickest.

I love my Vette but it's almost like cheating when it's fully engineered with shield boosters and hull reinforcements. Enjoy it! That thing is a beast.

i know what you mean about it feeling like you cheating lol, I have 200 cargo space and can bring the pain to any pirate. i have been doing some engineer upgrades and my 2 huge multi-cannon's are at lvl 4 efficient with auto reload and 2 small multi-cannon's are also at lvl 4 efficient and 1 has corrosive shell and the other has thermal shock. I have 1 large beam laser with long range lvl 5 and 2 medium beam lasers with efficiency lvl 4, all have the effect that lowers distribution draw. After doing some research it seemed better to go with a bi weave shield for the faster recharge, it still currently has 2,200 shield strength and all the boosters are not fully upgraded yet lol.

@TenEightyOne if you want to do the sothis - ceos route make sure you have cargo space and it took me about a week doing a few hours everyday may be quicker for you but that's what it took for me.

@TenEightyOne if you want to do the sothis - ceos route make sure you have cargo space and it took me about a week doing a few hours everyday may be quicker for you but that's what it took for me.

The Anaconda has plenty of room and so does the Cutter. Having said that... I keep going back to the Python, it does just about everything well :)

While I'm here, a few random screenshots :)

20181228225456_1.jpg
20181229135715_1.jpg
20181229140053_1.jpg
20190104120105_1.jpg
20190110120846_1.jpg
20190110224922_1.jpg
20190112173920_1.jpg
20190113101817_1.jpg
20190116204127_1.jpg
20190116231913_1.jpg

TenEightyOne my Python is currently set up as a mining vessel, it's only surpassed by the Cutter in efficiency in mining. It was a combat ship before and it excelled at that too. I have also used it for trading many times and it's a very serviceable medium capacity armed trader. The Python can be set up as a good exploration vessel as well, and you can engineer the jump range to go north of 30LY. It literally is good at everything and probably is the most versatile ship in the game. Great pics too.

TenEightyOne my Python is currently set up as a mining vessel, it's only surpassed by the Cutter in efficiency in mining. It was a combat ship before and it excelled at that too. I have also used it for trading many times and it's a very serviceable medium capacity armed trader. The Python can be set up as a good exploration vessel as well, and you can engineer the jump range to go north of 30LY. It literally is good at everything and probably is the most versatile ship in the game. Great pics too.

My Python is currently armed-trader too, with the Anaconda having just over 50Y I've done my only long-haul exploration trip in that. I'm using a disposable Asp X as a miner right now, but I'm gutted to find that the multi-abrasion-blaster thing is apparently a bug that will be corrected. Still, I make more in one trip with the Asp than I did in 6 months before now.

My Python is a mining ship now. It used to be my cg trade ship. Now I use the Clipper for combat, the Dolphin for everything else and the Beluga when I feel like it. Every other ship collects dust.

My Python is currently armed-trader too, with the Anaconda having just over 50Y I've done my only long-haul exploration trip in that. I'm using a disposable Asp X as a miner right now, but I'm gutted to find that the multi-abrasion-blaster thing is apparently a bug that will be corrected. Still, I make more in one trip with the Asp than I did in 6 months before now.

AspX is basically my favorite ship, I don't know why, I just like her. Right now it has a combat build and does fairly well in Conflict zones, Nav beacons and so on. I just wanted to see if you could do a decent combat build on one and it turns out you can. And ever since module storage, it's easy to switch out the components for exploration again.

Started all over again last night on account of having not played in so long, I had no idea what I was up too. I only had about 1 mill creds and I think an Eagle. While out exploring for a better system to start building some credits up last night I came upon this gem. Tugged on some heart strings.
20190127205022_1.jpg 20190127205106_1.jpg

I'm currently as close as you can get to Sag. A and dock at a base. I have two options now. Do I head to Sag. A or Colonia? I have the time to get to Colonia and back before the rest of DW2 heads to Sag. A. It is a lot of jumps though.

Just getting back into the game, I havent a got a clue. What would the benefits be to going to Colonia? Just to see? Got some supplies to drop off?

Is there good reason to go out to Colonia? I was thinking of doing a mining setup, but the gameplay for that is just a bit to slow for me. So, I think I maybe working on making a bounty hunter/thargoid hunter build. I imagine there is a lot of faction fighting and that good run ins out there?

Is there good reason to go out to Colonia? I was thinking of doing a mining setup, but the gameplay for that is just a bit to slow for me. So, I think I maybe working on making a bounty hunter/thargoid hunter build. I imagine there is a lot of faction fighting and that good run ins out there?
As far as i am aware the thargoids are only around the main bubble in the pleiades sector. mining might not be your thing but at the moment void opals are selling for 1.6 million credits each and with the new mining mechanics you can easily get 50 million plus in an hour or 2.
If you are going for a more combat orientated build keep in mind they don't usually have a great jump range and colonia is around 22,000 light years away.

Jeez!! that is quite the distance. Anywho, I am not really into the game to make gobs of money. I like space combat, but at such a price, I might be tempted into trying a few mining runs. I know ObsidianAnt has a video or two about mining void opals. Maybe I'll check that out.

This has been hard week,had two long time friends pass away, both way too young, both completely unexpected, both due to tragic medical emergencies. One was a mom of two, youngest is only 2.

I was with a HS friend at the first funeral yesterday and he asks me what I am playing now days, I told him mainly RDR2, and FH4 in the last week and he tells me that he's infatuated with ED. He was very surprised when I told him I have over1100 into it. Ended up adding him as a friend on Xbox, and playing with him last night and he was trying to teach me how to fly with FA off, made some progress, but man it's hard, it's like relearning how to fly all over again. He also started his own Faction Group which I joined, his faction page is great. He was unsatisfied with with the gap in the lore of the Imperials so he created this faction to fill that void.

Looking forward to playing with him again soon, oh and I want the mamba, that thing is awesome. Sadly I won't be able to attend the other funeral, it's in Canada, BC and my passport is out of date. It's on Monday so there's no way to get one in time.

I've been following this game since its release, but I never found myself buying it because I assumed the game is so massive, that I'll probably never fully enjoy it. Yet every day I'm watching a mining video. Sort of takes me back to the days I used to play Colony Wars on the original Playstation.

I've been following this game since its release, but I never found myself buying it because I assumed the game is so massive, that I'll probably never fully enjoy it. Yet every day I'm watching a mining video. Sort of takes me back to the days I used to play Colony Wars on the original Playstation.
Colony wars was my first serious venture into the genre. Absolutely loved those games.
ED is definitely way bigger, amd way more in depth. You definitely should get in on this one, or look into Star Citizen. Either way, you wont be disappointed if you enjoyed CW. There is a lot to do, so you might not get to enjoy everything, but you will likely fully enjoy what it is you are doing.

Colony wars was my first serious venture into the genre. Absolutely loved those games.
ED is definitely way bigger, amd way more in depth. You definitely should get in on this one, or look into Star Citizen. Either way, you wont be disappointed if you enjoyed CW. There is a lot to do, so you might not get to enjoy everything, but you will likely fully enjoy what it is you are doing.

My style usually is exploring and trading (goods/journeys/mining).

I took a look at the game on Steam, but there are some expansion packs available? Would I need all of them to fully enjoy the game?

My style usually is exploring and trading (goods/journeys/mining).

I took a look at the game on Steam, but there are some expansion packs available? Would I need all of them to fully enjoy the game?
Of course, to fully enjoy it. But not to simply enjoy it. In personally only have Horizons at the moment, but will likely be getting Beyond as well.
The core functionality of the game is there in the base ED. Trading, exploration, etc. I am not sure how much of the other stuff makes it over though, such as the holome, improved planetary visuals or any of the other stuff that is listed on the ED website. The big stuff, like landing on planets and squadrons, but im guessing probably everything listed would also need the required expansion.
Another thing that is nice about ED is the community support, especially if trading is your thing. EDDB.io is s great resource, showing the best locations to buy and sell as well as the ability to plot a route and find the best deals along the way. Which is great considering just how huge even the known and exploited universe is, much less it's entirety.

Of course, to fully enjoy it. But not to simply enjoy it. In personally only have Horizons at the moment, but will likely be getting Beyond as well.

Beyond is free for Horizons owners... And you already have it you wouldn't be able to play without it.

I went out looking for some crystalline shards today and I found this beauty of an undiscovered system. It has an earth like world, water world, ammonia world and a teraforable high metal content world.

20190206130532_1.jpg

20190206092213_1.jpg

Back on Elite after a long time.

I decided to start a fresh and just work to build a FSD monster and then head out into the deep to see what’s out there. The Voild looks an interesting place.

Beyond is free for Horizons owners... And you already have it you wouldn't be able to play without it.

Beyond is free for all players, anyone playing on an up to date game will technically be playing Beyond. As you said, you wouldn't be able to play without it. :) However if you have Horizons you get access to more features and all of the new ships that get released.

Last edited:
Having second thoughts about buying a Mamba. I love the look of it but I already own Fer De Lance and I barely ever take it out of the station. When it comes down to it, I like medium-sized armed traders the most. Before my Python was outfitted for Mining, I used it primarily as an armed trader because it could haul a decent load and could land at Medium pads, so you could hit all of the smaller outpost stations (something my Anaconda and Corvette can't do). Since I am missing that capability, I am strong considering the Krait (the bigger version) instead. My other dilemma is that I have 353 million and I am one rank under Duke so I'm very close to being able to buy a Cutter. I have been saving my money for that. If I buy the Krait, it will set me back a ways in that goal.

New mining is ridiculously fun. I had a friend show me the most efficient ways and it's so much better now. Mining is far more lucrative than the old way of using mining lasers and limpets. The new mining equipment is far more involved, more immersive and just plain better (as is more fun than it ever was). I made 88 million in 45 mins on my first run, this was while I was learning the ropes. I'll make double that next time easily. My friend is pulling in about 132 million and hour. I bought a Krait MK II, outfitted it generously, and am in the process of engineering it, then I will go back to mining more.

New mining is ridiculously fun. I had a friend show me the most efficient ways and it's so much better now. Mining is far more lucrative than the old way of using mining lasers and limpets. The new mining equipment is far more involved, more immersive and just plain better (as is more fun than it ever was). I made 88 million in 45 mins on my first run, this was while I was learning the ropes. I'll make double that next time easily. My friend is pulling in about 132 million and hour. I bought a Krait MK II, outfitted it generously, and am in the process of engineering it, then I will go back to mining more.
Yeah it is much better than the old way. I recently sold my krait MK II and bought a Python instead. It has all Needed for mining plus I have a bigger limpet collector (3 instead of 2)and a huge 192 cargo space.

Yeah it is much better than the old way. I recently sold my krait MK II and bought a Python instead. It has all Needed for mining plus I have a bigger limpet collector (3 instead of 2)and a huge 192 cargo space.

Since my Python was already outfitted for mining, I'm just using that. I sold off the mining lasers and added some equipment like Seismic charges and other toys. The Python works very well for mining and it's agile enough for the job too.

Since my Python was already outfitted for mining, I'm just using that. I sold off the mining lasers and added some equipment like Seismic charges and other toys. The Python works very well for mining and it's agile enough for the job too.

The Krait MK II is being fitted for multirole purposes with an emphasis on trading. What it lacks in cargo capacity, it makes up for by being able to land on medium sized platforms. Which is an advantage over the larger trading vessels. I have the jump range up to 31 ly so far, going to get Grade 5 dirty drives from Palin next.

Ok I need some experienced opinions here. Who has messed around with fighting Thargoids with the guardian weapons?

I spent the last 3 evenings grinding for blue prints and mats and I have enough to equip a ship (likely my Fer De Lance) with guardian weapons but I'm torn between using the Plasma Charger or the Gauss cannon in conjunction with the flak Cannon (human weapon). Has anyone battled them yet? If so what is your combat setup?

Back