Emirates Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 398 comments
Chas Leclerc utters 'level up' for the woke generation. :dopey:

No BS Max steps up, ' More pitstops and tyre management please Pirelli.'

Quite enjoyed the race, the tyre situation kept things interesting.

That was a pretty boring race.

If this season boils down to poor tire performance from Pirelli to get an ‘interesting’ race, I can’t wait for the new regs to come through.

I will say, Silverstone is probably the worst track for entertainment in the season. My guess is that FOM keeps it in the roster because of its history.

I was very happy to see some of the tire choices made a difference. If they could bring 3 viable options to a track, imagine how much fun it could be to watch. When you can get teams trying to qualify on all 3 compunds legitimately, it can definitely impact race strategy, like we saw with Max today. Great drive by the Dutchman.

Interesting race to watch, for sure. Max absolutely crushing it and Albon, again, warming up too late. Albon did good overtaking this race, although it took him 22 laps to get passed Gasly.
Hulk acted as a matured driver, not getting in the way of championship competitors and keeping Stroll behind him, though he might have crossed the limits of his tires by doing so (lets go along with RP's explanation about Hulk's last pitstop). Now he knows the limits, I do think he can make quite a jump in the next race and I'm very confident he'll absolutely smash Stroll with 2 fingers up his nose.

If anything, it's really good to see another team winning the race than Mercedes. Not gonna lie, but I love seeing them Mercedes boys looking at their cars and tires disappointedly.

I think Mercedes have had this problem before where they don't perform well in hot temperatures on race day. They say they will have look into it, but surely they have looked into it the time before and the time before that. It's probably just that the tires were too soft for the way their car is built. Accommodating for this would probably make them slower in all other circumstances.

I think Mercedes have had this problem before where they don't perform well in hot temperatures on race day. They say they will have look into it, but surely they have looked into it the time before and the time before that. It's probably just that the tires were too soft for the way their car is built. Accommodating for this would probably make them slower in all other circumstances.
I think Mercedes' issue with hot weather performance was usually down to mechanical heat stress and not strictly tires. Hamilton has usually nursed old tires to the later stages of a race or to victory. It seems everyone was afraid of their tires exploding and causing accidents, that shouldn't be a worry in racing.

'If' Mercedes and the rest of the grid is able to reduce tire temperature for Barcelona, which is a similarly hot race, that will help tremendously.

@Jimlaad43 you're wrong :sly:

If anything, it's really good to see another team winning the race than Mercedes. Not gonna lie, but I love seeing them Mercedes boys looking at their cars and tires disappointedly.

You'd think that you would be happy to finish 2-3 with both of your cars, but Wolff was looking downright pissed off when they crossed the finish line.
I thoroughly enjoyed this race, a little sad that Ricciardo couldn't deliver a strong performance, he was going so well, and also a bit disappointed that Gasly fell back so much. Magnussen got away too easily with that move in my opinion, the HAAS has become such an anonymous car in the field...

I think Mercedes' issue with hot weather performance was usually down to mechanical heat stress and not strictly tires. Hamilton has usually nursed old tires to the later stages of a race or to victory. It seems everyone was afraid of their tires exploding and causing accidents, that shouldn't be a worry in racing.

'If' Mercedes and the rest of the grid is able to reduce tire temperature for Barcelona, which is a similarly hot race, that will help tremendously.

Yeah it seems that they are designing a car that is more sensitive to fall out of the performance range in the hot end of the spectrum. Verstappen's tires were working fine.

Here's a change they made in 2018 for the Singapore GP to cool the tires:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/revealed-mercedes-singapore-tech-change/3179714/

You'd think that you would be happy to finish 2-3 with both of your cars, but Wolff was looking downright pissed off when they crossed the finish line.
I thoroughly enjoyed this race, a little sad that Ricciardo couldn't deliver a strong performance, he was going so well, and also a bit disappointed that Gasly fell back so much. Magnussen got away too easily with that move in my opinion, the HAAS has become such an anonymous car in the field...

I dont blame Toto he knows they were done on strategy today, having the low wear softs with a high fuel load was a mistake and RB's q2 gamble paid off.

A total of 5 teams - half the grid - have now announced their intent to appeal the RP decision: RP, Renault, Ferrari, McLaren and Williams. They have 72 hours to actually appeal. Notably, three of the teams are running Mercedes engines or soon will be.

I'm sure there's disagreement as to details of design, process, penalties and the like. But is there something more fundamental at stake, such as the basic nature of the sport? Is this Claire Williams' thinking? Concern about a two-tier system of constructors and sellers has been one of her pet peeves for awhile, I suppose.

All those asswipes should have screamed murder when Ferrari got caught and got away with their cheating.
Ferrari didn't get caught. Their engine was investigated during last season and the FIA couldn't prove that they were cheating - everyone thought they were but evidence of it was never found. Nobody knows what happened between them and the FIA during the winter break, the secrecy makes it sound like that there may have been more going on than just a dodgy engine and the deal may be a shady one from the FIA's side.

Mercedes, on the other hand, is running a car that is illegal on at least two areas in the rules but somehow was deemed legal. Someone might call it a conspiracy to extend their dominance but apparently conspiracies are only allowed when Ferrari and Jean Todt are involved, Mercedes' former team principal Ross Brawn being the the Managing Director, Motor Sports and technical director for the Formula One Group doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone.

10.2.1 With the steering wheel fixed, the position of each wheel centre and the orientation of its rotation axis must be completely and uniquely defined by a function of its principally vertical suspension travel, save only for the effects of reasonable compliance which does not intentionally provide further degrees of freedom.
Driver input is not vertical suspension travel, nor is it reasonable compliance. And it changes both the position of the wheel centre and the orientation of the rotation axis.

10.2.3 No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion.
Changing the toe angle most definitely counts as an adjustment to the suspension system.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2019_technical_regulations_-_2019-03-12.pdf

Man, last night i decided i was not gonna watch the race but, this morning, i wake up at 9am like.... waaaa? I guess God went like "shut up and watch the race... its gonna be good" :lol:
Max was beyond brilliant and I bow to Charles too. These 2 kids deserved better cars. They're both better than Hamilton, no doubt about it.

You know, while they're doing 2 races on the same track this season, why not do the second race reverse direction? Pit in out might prove a bit finnicky, but I'm sure they can find a solution for that problem and make it a bit more interesting.
F1 is not granturismo...

Last edited by a moderator:
A total of 5 teams - half the grid - have now announced their intent to appeal the RP decision: RP, Renault, Ferrari, McLaren and Williams. They have 72 hours to actually appeal. Notably, three of the teams are running Mercedes engines or soon will be.

I'm sure there's disagreement as to details of design, process, penalties and the like. But is there something more fundamental at stake, such as the basic nature of the sport? Is this Claire Williams' thinking? Concern about a two-tier system of constructors and sellers has been one of her pet peeves for awhile, I suppose.
If I understand correctly, there are different reasons for appeal. Some think RP shouldn't have a penalty (RP themselves obviously), and some think they should have a bigger penalty, i.e. they shouldn't be able to use those parts anymore

S A N I T I S E D

m4hoy6unh0g51gnj9k.png

Driver input is not vertical suspension travel, nor is it reasonable compliance. And it changes both the position of the wheel centre and the orientation of the rotation axis.
But not with the steering wheel fixed - the very first part of that particular rule.
Changing the toe angle most definitely counts as an adjustment to the suspension system.
How? The toe angle is not related to the suspension - it's just part of the hub/upright assembly - and it changes for each wheel when you turn the steering wheel.

But not with the steering wheel fixed - the very first part of that particular rule.

How? The toe angle is not related to the suspension - it's just part of the hub/upright assembly - and it changes for each wheel when you turn the steering wheel.

Toe angle is determined by the steering rack. You adjust the tie rods to change toe. Which are not part of the suspension. Its all steering

There is a toe-link commonly found in the rear suspension. So there toe is related to the suspension.

In the old days, roll steer used to be a problem in the front suspension with the upper and lower links defining arcs between which the steering link would necessarily cause toe changes without input from the steering wheel. So for sure in the old days toe is related both to front and rear suspension systems. Maybe today there is "New Geometry" or at at least new parsing of old vocabulary.

Stroll Snr: The other teams are unsporting for protesting against us.

Also Stroll Snr: make sure lance finishes in front of hulkenberg, bing, pit stop.

I know there's some imagination there, that may well have been a vibration but it looks well fishy.

Stroll Snr: The other teams are unsporting for protesting against us.

Also Stroll Snr: make sure lance finishes in front of hulkenberg, bing, pit stop.

I know there's some imagination there, that may well have been a vibration but it looks well fishy.
What's up with all the Hulk conspiracy theories? Last week people were saying they intentionally let him not start, now they intentionally let him pit to lose points.

A team would never intentionally lose points.

Back