Engine swap tunes

• Thread starter F1gtr97
  • 157 comments
Watching the replays are hilarious :-)) I think I have outdone myself with the Hippy Van here and the rust I added just tops it off. Watching a 1962 VW hippy rust bucket overtake state of the art GR4 cars is just sooo funny :-))

But I digress. This really needs bigger tyres on the back and forced induction to flatten the torque curve. Oh and the real problem lowering the centre of gravity so it does feel like a brick on a string.

Something odd. Compare the racing exhausts on the Sambabus and the Beetle. The van has a more modern looking exhaust but both sound like vacuum cleaners :-(

BTW these were called a Kombi Van in Australia. Anywhere else in the world get the name?
You can't tell me the replay is hilarious and yet not post it. Now I really want to see it!

Yeah the way the torque curve exists makes it very hard to get a stable tune.

They were called a kombi van over here in New Zealand also. It seems weird calling it a sambabus.

Yaris tune, anyone?
I believe he was asking about the 2JZ engine swapped Yaris.
I must apologise to you gentlemen I am mistaken. There is a Yaris swap and for some reason I was totally blind to it. Too used to seeing endless GT86 and BRZs. Also not a car that inspires to rush out and spend time on so probably another reason for drawing a blank.

2JZ-GTE-Supra (Toyota Supra '97)
  • Nissan Silvia S15 Spec R '02 (!)
  • Subaru BRZ S '21
  • Toyota GR86 RZ '21
  • Toyota GR Yaris '20
So sorry, my mistake :-(

I must apologise to you gentlemen I am mistaken. There is a Yaris swap and for some reason I was totally blind to it. Too used to seeing endless GT86 and BRZs. Also not a car that inspires to rush out and spend time on so probably another reason for drawing a blank.

2JZ-GTE-Supra (Toyota Supra '97)
  • Nissan Silvia S15 Spec R '02 (!)
  • Subaru BRZ S '21
  • Toyota GR86 RZ '21
  • Toyota GR Yaris '20
So sorry, my mistake :-(
I copied a tune similar to whats on my 22b, and am liking it. Will compare later.

So I have this issue with a couple of cars - such as the engine swapped Beetle, VW Van and Mini - where I'll be bombing along in a straight line and the bugger suddenly jolts. Feels like a poltergeist has wondered past and yanked on the wheel. I've tried al sorts with the tunes, and while I can minimise it I can never seem get rid?

So I have this issue with a couple of cars - such as the engine swapped Beetle, VW Van and Mini - where I'll be bombing along in a straight line and the bugger suddenly jolts. Feels like a poltergeist has wondered past and yanked on the wheel. I've tried al sorts with the tunes, and while I can minimise it I can never seem get rid?
In case of the volkswagens, it could be the torque. You could try softening the rear or increasing the lower gears where I assume this happens most often.

In case of the volkswagens, it could be the torque. You could try softening the rear or increasing the lower gears where I assume this happens most often.
I'm actually using one of your tunes, Jak! :lol: Is it an issue you experienced?

Watching the replays are hilarious :-)) I think I have outdone myself with the Hippy Van here and the rust I added just tops it off. Watching a 1962 VW hippy rust bucket overtake state of the art GR4 cars is just sooo funny :-))

But I digress. This really needs bigger tyres on the back and forced induction to flatten the torque curve. Oh and the real problem lowering the centre of gravity so it does feel like a brick on a string.

Something odd. Compare the racing exhausts on the Sambabus and the Beetle. The van has a more modern looking exhaust but both sound like vacuum cleaners :-(

BTW these were called a Kombi Van in Australia. Anywhere else in the world get the name?
In South Africa it's called a Kombi as well. Actually it's still to today. The better spec models is called a Carravelle over here.

Hello everyone, I made this tune from scratch just by feeling alone, but with a 650PP limit only. Tested on Dragon Tail Seaside, over 5 seconds ahead from another 650PP max tuned, minimum weight Integra with stock engine. Critiques are more than welcome, as this is my first tune and at least for me it feels planted, powerful and not a hint of oversteer so far.

Honda Integra DC2 '98 with K20C1 swap
Full aero body kit

Kabuki-cho_.jpg

Gran Turismo® 7_20220710202131.jpg

Gran Turismo® 7_20220710202143.jpg

Hi Jak, it's me again. I have tinkered with your tune again and this time I am very happy with the result. Since the Beetle returned to the UCD I bought 4 ;-) No probs since I am now down to my last 15 Porsche engines ;-)

OK here we go with a new car.
1: Swap engine and do all mods to it
2: No wide body this time standard diameter rims at 15" with wide rims and wide offset
3: Add rear aero (I also took the bumpers off)
4: TCS 1 and ABS Normal

I tuned this one to be easily driveable on race hards so it now has HP and handling ;-) I did a low 1:32*** in practice at Deep Forest and I have a pic of a race time of 1:33.127 if anyone calls for proof.

Next I will put this tune on my wide body car and see what difference it makes. I should add, the first tune was on the wide body car that had 20" low profile wheels and I think this was causing a lot of the unpredictable rear end. Theory here is standard diameter wheels that have some sidewall flex should take the nervousness out and I think it has.

See screen shots below. Let me know what you think.

Wow thats awesome!

I will try these changes in the weekend as you have knocked almost 1.5 seconds off my best time

Slowly creeping down to that fabled 1:30 flat.

I originally forgot to widebody my car and tuned it to be stable, as soon as I added the widebody it completely destroyed the stability causing a full retune (Hopefully yours fares better)

I am currently tuning a sambabus which had a bit of snap, thanks to your changes to the weight distribution on the beetle, I was able to take this lesson and apply it to the Sambabus improving its handling.
So was this the final Beetle revision of your collaboration? It looks like I should be able to run it at Sarthe.

Or has the Samba surpassed it? :D

So was this the final Beetle revision of your collaboration? It looks like I should be able to run it at Sarthe.

Or has the Samba surpassed it? :D
I believe this was the final revision (unless he has continued to tinker with it)

As amazing as the sambabus is, sadly it doesn't compete with the beetle.

Goodluck at Sarthe!

I believe this was the final revision (unless he has continued to tinker with it)

As amazing as the sambabus is, sadly it doesn't compete with the beetle.

Goodluck at Sarthe!
No more tinkering at this stage. I got side tracked with time trials and grinding.

I needed all the money because I bought 5 of each of all the engine swap cars. This is so I can do back to back comparisons with different chassis configurations and engine tunes. For the record you can't easily take off wide bodies or internal engine mods. Plus I wanted some of the muscle cars un-swapped as well.

Next point is that it is pointless doing a lot of work just before an update drops because as sure as anything PD WILL change PP ratings or nerf some other performance impacting measure.

So it will be interesting to see later today what happens to these two tunes ;-)

Got my Dodge Challenger tune completed .
Fits in 700PP on racing hards

TT92 be interested to see if it's anything like your setups.

Got my Dodge Challenger tune completed .
Fits in 700PP on racing hards

I was all set to post one here as my RT Challenger is my favourite. I have tuned all my muscle cars cars to 700PP and race hard tyres at Laguna Seca. Currently the Challenger is the fastest.

So I thought, easy, run the Challenger here at Trial Mt. (with higher gearing) in the new Hyper Car event and pick up an easy 150K credits each race and see how wonderful my tune is ;-)

So I was right and wrong :-( Yeah it is an easy 150K per race BUT the tune simply does not work here so I am doing a new one while keeping to race hard tyres and 700PP. So far I can only manage a flat 1:55min with some unstable handling.

I have not tried your tune but I did try Praiano's (my favourite tuner) and I don't like his at all.

The problem with this car/track combo is that when accelerating out of a corner as the engine hits its peak torque it lights up the back end and promptly puts me into a wall (BTW all aids OFF, TC1 and ABS normal).

And so this car here is a bit like the Samba Bus and swinging a brick around your head on a piece of string ;-) Looking at your tune and video with the added ballast to back I think it is accentuating this

I will do some more tinkering and get back to you. I'm on a mission now and besides, the credits are coming in useful.

PS I even made a new car to do it with too. My other RT did not have the wide body kit. Also (see the thread in undocumented changes 1.19) I went to add wide wheels and wide offset and the wide offset is no longer an option for this car. WTF!!!!

PPS On the subject of tuning in GT* games I HATE the fact that you must use rear camber and toe in your setups when cars are fitted with solid beam axles >:-( And to add insult to injury looking at your pride and joy in a pic with obvious rear camber it looks like the Dukes of Hazard car after a big jump (i.e broken) ;-)

PPPS I am now down to my last 24 Hellcat engines and 4 new Challengers ;-)

Last edited:
Anyone got the delorean swap? No idea what to do with it.
Go to garage, select Delorean, go to Tuning parts, the available motors are at the top, the correct motor will say "compatible", select install.

Now go and play with it :-)

Don't ask for a tune as almost no one has the engine.

Go to garage, select Delorean, go to Tuning parts, the available motors are at the top, the correct motor will say "compatible", select install.

Now go and play with it :-)

Don't ask for a tune as almost no one has the engine.
I've been trying, I only asked if anyone had any advice on a thread about tuning swaps as I was having trouble.

I've been trying, I only asked if anyone had any advice on a thread about tuning swaps as I was having trouble.
I am actually trying to help you here. Your reply makes little sense to me. So have you swapped the engine and want a tune or can't you swap the engine?

OK JaK here goes. After a lot of tinkering and building another complete car I finally come up with something I am reasonably happy with. As you will see I kept the tune at 700PP with RH tyres so it it aligned with my other muscle cars at this PP.

The tune ended up being a bit of a compromise (aren't they all) I gave up some front end grip (lowered aero on the front) so I could gain some extra HP for the loooooonnnng straight. Even though I could do constant 1:55.s the AI would throw in the odd 1:52.*** which was very disheartening ;-) Best time was a 1:54.728 (see below)

Apparently, the trick with this car here is to progressively feed the power on when not heading straight or over a hump ;-)

For anyone else reading this, if you want to go a little slower but have a much nicer driving car put the front aero all the way back up.

Parts: Wide Body, 15" wide wheels, Front and rear spoilers, weight reduction and chassis stiffening. NO internal engine mods, everything is bolt on. Races done on Hard and all aids off except ABS Normal and TCS1

Attachments

• Challenger RT.jpg
    Challenger RT.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Laptime 1.54.728.jpg
    Laptime 1.54.728.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Tune 1.jpg
    Tune 1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Tune 2.jpg
    Tune 2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Tune 3.jpg
    Tune 3.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
If anyone has one for the Vette powered Miata I'd love to try it. I'm looking for something different for the Sarthe grind.
It's still a work in progress, laps the Deep Forest in 1:25.456.
FYI, increase the initial on the diff to 6, 7,or 8 if on less sticky Race Hard tires on wider sweeping tracks.
This will make the car slightly more behaved on corner entry off-throttle/off-brake without sacrificing too much corner entry speed.

20220731_120224.jpg

Attachments

• 20220731_120234.jpg
    20220731_120234.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 87
  • 20220731_120253.jpg
    20220731_120253.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 16592871265607417447596083275093.jpg
    16592871265607417447596083275093.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
OK JaK here goes. After a lot of tinkering and building another complete car I finally come up with something I am reasonably happy with. As you will see I kept the tune at 700PP with RH tyres so it it aligned with my other muscle cars at this PP.

The tune ended up being a bit of a compromise (aren't they all) I gave up some front end grip (lowered aero on the front) so I could gain some extra HP for the loooooonnnng straight. Even though I could do constant 1:55.s the AI would throw in the odd 1:52.*** which was very disheartening ;-) Best time was a 1:54.728 (see below)

Apparently, the trick with this car here is to progressively feed the power on when not heading straight or over a hump ;-)

For anyone else reading this, if you want to go a little slower but have a much nicer driving car put the front aero all the way back up.

Parts: Wide Body, 15" wide wheels, Front and rear spoilers, weight reduction and chassis stiffening. NO internal engine mods, everything is bolt on. Races done on Hard and all aids off except ABS Normal and TCS1
I think your car will lap quicker than mine. I tuned mine to work without TCS so I had to stretch the earlier gears to spread the power out a bit allowing throttle during corners in the lower gears. (Wasn't smart enough to resolve the issue any other way, I spent ages tinkering to try though)

I also built towards stability for multiple laps so that also cost a bit of time.

It does a 1:29 around Deep Forest on Hard Tires which puts it in range to win the 700PP 10 lap challenge.

Looks like we both compromised in different ways, you went for an all out beast of a car where I just went for the nice sweet reliable car that wont murder you given the chance.

I will check our upgrades and see if I can create a new setting to try your tune. (Not sure what I added to mine but I think I took your advice and left a lot of the engine upgrades stock)

That loooooooong straight is amazing for this car!!!!

Has anyone engine swapped the BMW 3.0 CSL?
Yep and here is the tune I came up with. This is a real little pocket rocket :-)

I need to preface my tune here with something very strange about the PP on this car. The initial spec was well over 730PP so I had to add 60kgs to bring it back under 730PP. Then, when driven there was just no rear downforce (I think the std wing was only 40) so I had to add a custom wing and set it 220. The PP then dropped below 730PP and I took off the 60kg ballast and the PP wont quite get back to 730PP. I mean a real WTF moment!

Basically fit everything that is available. Wide Body, Wheels std diameter with wide rims and wide offset and of curse custom rear wing. RH tyres, TCS 1, ABS Normal

Tuned at Trial Mt in the Hyper car race and it ran a 1:52.457

Driving Tip: Upshift early in the tight sections to control wheelspin/sliding and despite trying both slotted and carbon brakes it just is an atrocious stopper so brake very early at the bottom of the main straight

I hope everyone likes my classic JPS paint job :-)

Attachments

• Tune 3.jpg
    Tune 3.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Tune 2.jpg
    Tune 2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Tune 1.jpg
    Tune 1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Lap time.jpg
    Lap time.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Car Pic.jpg
    Car Pic.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 86
The 1200 took down Sarthe relatively easily. She’s a little iffy in the rain, but that’s really no surprise is it?

Nice work gents!

6F29E969-C58E-451A-9AA3-9E08A3D21B26.jpeg
72C19037-1937-459C-AD42-D5904126EAF5.jpeg

Back