Engine swaps - discussions, tips and tricks

• Thread starter Kazuya720
  • 49 comments
Germany
Munich
Hitokiri-666
Hi all,

as it seems to be real that engine swaps are available in GT7 I would like to open a theard for discussions, tips and tricks. Besides... first! :D

Gran-Turismo-7-Volkswagen-Beetle-engine-swap.jpg

My theory is...

If you tune your car much (buy and install engine parts) the game will change the engine model.
For example if you have GR86 buy all the engine upgrades the game will change the engine model from 2,4L boxer to 2JZ 🤔
PD aren't like that. That sounds like some Need For Speed shenanigans to me...

At least, I sure as hell hope that isn't the case...

I read somewhere that you can win these engine parts and swaps on the roulettes. And they AREN'T available on the tuning shop.

I think it probably works like this: You get the engine, and then there's all the compatible cars for it somewhere on a list, like the rims on gt sport. Then you swap et

Jimmy Broadbent's stream today, he did a modified race in a mini and there was an FD on the grid with what sounded like a 4 rotor in it.. first swapped car we've seen outside of the beetle I think.

Can't timestamp until the stream has ended..

Jimmy Broadbent's stream today, he did a modified race in a mini and there was an FD on the grid with what sounded like a 4 rotor in it.. first swapped car we've seen outside of the beetle I think.

I’d actually be ok with that. It might end up being a bit like the old ‘unicorn’ black prototypes back in the day.

Imagine out of the blue winning an RB, LS, 2JZ, DAZA (insert your favourite engines here) and then going on to build something really monstrous and unique.

After a certain tipping point, you’ll probably end up with as many credits as you need to buy whatever you want, so the novelty might wear off if engine swaps are as routine as purchasing anything else in Understeer. Whereas making it a rarity, and random (again, like unicorns popping up in used cars) will perhaps make it feel a little bit special.

EDIT: Quoted the wrong post! Apologies. I meant to refer to the engine swaps being available through roulette.

Last edited:

It didn't sound like a 4 rotor to me. And it certainly wasn't as fast as a 4 rotor would've been. ;)

PD aren't like that. That sounds like some Need For Speed shenanigans to me...

At least, I sure as hell hope that isn't the case...
uhhhh that sounds the opposite of Need for Speed shenanigans. In need for speed you can choose your engines to swap to.

Definitely agree it sounds like a 4 rotor. (5:00:50)

That race is also notable because the AI seems rather good

edit: you can see the RX-7 has some serious straight line speed/power at 5:10:05, and it really does sound like a 4 rotor.

Last edited:

Definitely agree it sounds like a 4 rotor. (5:00:50)

That race is also notable because the AI seems rather good

edit: you can see the RX-7 has some serious straight line speed/power at 5:10:05, and it really does sound like a 4 rotor.

It sounds like a different Engine. I doubt you can tune the RX7 to have that sound.... looks like they are in somehow. It sounds nastey tho boy

Has anyone with the game, checked the Beetle to see if that Porsche engine is available somewhere? Given that it was the only car so far with an engine swap "confirmed".

Regardless of whether that RX7 sounded like a 4 rotor or not, it certainly didn't sound like a 2 rotor!

Unless the tuning parts collectively allow for a doubling of the rev ceiling...

But the engine sounds are still sample based, so they definitely don't.

No screenshots, but Reddit user TheSluagh has confirmed the rumour about engine swaps being a one use item you can win from roulettes:

Was about to post the same thing

I barely win anything higher that the lowest money value prize...

Last edited:
If you go to your parts menu in garage it should show what cars it is compatible with
It only says 2JZ-GTE-Supra. It says "if matched with a compatible car, this engine can even replace a different stock engine originally equipped on the car" but no list of cars compatible with it..

For now, it's only compatible with the Supra RZ (A80) and not with the 2020 A90 or the '88 model in the game. Doesn't work with the GR86 either.

I wish it would show you how weight balance is affected before installing, or even after? Can you see weight distribution anywhere in the tuning menu? surely it's there for ballasts.

It's the same where installing a wide body doesn't show how it effects weight. I've installed two so far but forgot to check weight before and after.

Factos, it only makes it more special, and prevents the feature from becoming overused like on the last few Forza Motorsport games, where you could have a lot of people running the best engines on different (kinda useless) chassis. Certain Engines would be meta, in this case it will take some time before people have them

And now on the news :)

Has anyone with the game, checked the Beetle to see if that Porsche engine is available somewhere? Given that it was the only car so far with an engine swap "confirmed".

Back